Life is cheap, but the accessories can kill you.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3 answers: SNL, ItalLit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLitMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLitJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLitDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLitDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLitPete Gayde
`- RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3 answers: SNL, ItalLitMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit

<0tKdncgU2rMEsBP9nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2914&group=rec.games.trivia#2914

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 23:42:01 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 2 May 2021 04:42 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Larry Harris and William Leavitt, two American microbiologists,
were arrested near Las Vegas this week and charged with
possession of what?

2. Who was the long-time baseball broadcaster who died this week
at the age of 78?

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters

For each question, you will be given a list of four or five
characters from "Saturday Night Live". Name the cast member who
"""played""" all of those characters.

1. The Richmeister, k.d. lang, Soon-Yi Previn, Weed Guy.

2. Doug Whiner, Andy Rooney, Pokey, Jerry Lewis.

3. Blossom, Jan Brady, Tonya Harding, Tori Spelling.

4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.

5. Alfalfa, Chi-Chi, Geraldine Ferraro, Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.

7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
Bob Widette.

8. Dr. Jocelyn Elders, Whoopi Goldberg, Queen Shenequa, Zoraida
the NBC page.

9. Tammy Faye Bakker, Jessica Hahn, Marla Maples, Sinéad O'Connor,
Candy Sweeney.

10. Wayne Campbell, Middle-Aged Man, Lothar of the Hill People,
Simon, Mick Jagger.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature

1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
an Anarchist" has been performed in English.

2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
was better known as a film director. His films included "The
Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
Who?

3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
writings, but probably didn't know his play.

4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
a Christian. Name him.

5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
in 1936.

6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
Who was he?

7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?

8. The writer and painter Carlo Levi published an autobiographical
book in 1945 called "Christ Stopped at Eboli", describing the
years he had to spend in a godforsaken southern Italian village.
Why was he living in Eboli?

9. Name the author of magic-realism novels who died in 1985
and whose works include "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler",
"Mr. Palomar", "Invisible Cities", and a collection of Italian
fables.

10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
"A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
Name of the Rose"?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
msb@vex.net | you haven't thought of." -- David Slocombe

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit

<XnsAD1E5C6BD55B9gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2915&group=rec.games.trivia#2915

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 14:05:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 2 May 2021 14:05 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:0tKdncgU2rMEsBP9nZ2dnUU7-
d3NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters
>
> For each question, you will be given a list of four or five
> characters from "Saturday Night Live". Name the cast member who
> """played""" all of those characters.
>
> 4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
> the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.

Phil Hartman

> 5. Alfalfa, Chi-Chi, Geraldine Ferraro, Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

Mary Gross

> 6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
> Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.

Chris Farley
> 7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
> Bob Widette.

Dan Aykroyd

> 10. Wayne Campbell, Middle-Aged Man, Lothar of the Hill People,
> Simon, Mick Jagger.

Mike Myers
> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature
>
> 1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
> for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
> an Anarchist" has been performed in English.

Fo
> 2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
> was better known as a film director. His films included "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
> Who?

Pasolini

> 3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
> titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
> writings, but probably didn't know his play.

Machiavelli

> 4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
> representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
> was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
> The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
> a Christian. Name him.

Virgil

> 5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
> Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
> in 1936.

Pirandello
> 6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
> his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
> named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
> Who was he?

Petrarch

> 7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
> Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
> story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
> of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
> after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?

to avoid a plague

> 10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
> "A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
> Name of the Rose"?

Eco

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit

<s6mept$opg$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2916&group=rec.games.trivia#2916

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 15:00:13 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 2 May 2021 15:00 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters

> 3. Blossom, Jan Brady, Tonya Harding, Tori Spelling.

Victoria Jackson

> 4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
> the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.

Phil Hartman

> 6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
> Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.

Chris Farley

> 7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
> Bob Widette.

Dan Aykroyd

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature

> 1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
> for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
> an Anarchist" has been performed in English.

Ionesco

> 2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
> was better known as a film director. His films included "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
> Who?

Pasolini; Antonioni

> 3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
> titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
> writings, but probably didn't know his play.

Machiavelli

> 4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
> representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
> was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
> The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
> a Christian. Name him.

Virgil

> 5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
> Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
> in 1936.

Pirandello

> 6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
> his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
> named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
> Who was he?

Petrarch

> 7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
> Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
> story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
> of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
> after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?

plague epidemic

> 8. The writer and painter Carlo Levi published an autobiographical
> book in 1945 called "Christ Stopped at Eboli", describing the
> years he had to spend in a godforsaken southern Italian village.
> Why was he living in Eboli?

hiding from the Fascist government

> 9. Name the author of magic-realism novels who died in 1985
> and whose works include "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler",
> "Mr. Palomar", "Invisible Cities", and a collection of Italian
> fables.

Italo Calvino

> 10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
> "A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
> Name of the Rose"?

Umberto Eco

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit

<s6n5pr$21c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2917&group=rec.games.trivia#2917

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 14:32:41 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 2 May 2021 21:32 UTC

On 5/1/21 9:42 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Larry Harris and William Leavitt, two American microbiologists,
> were arrested near Las Vegas this week and charged with
> possession of what?
>
> 2. Who was the long-time baseball broadcaster who died this week
> at the age of 78?
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters
>
> For each question, you will be given a list of four or five
> characters from "Saturday Night Live". Name the cast member who
> """played""" all of those characters.
>
> 1. The Richmeister, k.d. lang, Soon-Yi Previn, Weed Guy.
>
> 2. Doug Whiner, Andy Rooney, Pokey, Jerry Lewis.
>
> 3. Blossom, Jan Brady, Tonya Harding, Tori Spelling.
>
> 4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
> the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.
>
> 5. Alfalfa, Chi-Chi, Geraldine Ferraro, Dr. Ruth Westheimer.
>
> 6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
> Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.
>
> 7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
> Bob Widette.

Dan Aykroyd

> 8. Dr. Jocelyn Elders, Whoopi Goldberg, Queen Shenequa, Zoraida
> the NBC page.
>
> 9. Tammy Faye Bakker, Jessica Hahn, Marla Maples, Sinéad O'Connor,
> Candy Sweeney.
>
> 10. Wayne Campbell, Middle-Aged Man, Lothar of the Hill People,
> Simon, Mick Jagger.

Mike Myers

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature
>
> 1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
> for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
> an Anarchist" has been performed in English.
>
> 2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
> was better known as a film director. His films included "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
> Who?
>
> 3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
> titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
> writings, but probably didn't know his play.
>
> 4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
> representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
> was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
> The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
> a Christian. Name him.
>
> 5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
> Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
> in 1936.
>
> 6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
> his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
> named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
> Who was he?
>
> 7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
> Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
> story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
> of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
> after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?
>
> 8. The writer and painter Carlo Levi published an autobiographical
> book in 1945 called "Christ Stopped at Eboli", describing the
> years he had to spend in a godforsaken southern Italian village.
> Why was he living in Eboli?
>
> 9. Name the author of magic-realism novels who died in 1985
> and whose works include "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler",
> "Mr. Palomar", "Invisible Cities", and a collection of Italian
> fables. >
> 10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
> "A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
> Name of the Rose"?

Eco

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3: SNL, ItalLit

<s6njct$t0c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2918&group=rec.games.trivia#2918

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 20:24:48 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 3 May 2021 01:24 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Larry Harris and William Leavitt, two American microbiologists,
> were arrested near Las Vegas this week and charged with
> possession of what?
>
> 2. Who was the long-time baseball broadcaster who died this week
> at the age of 78?
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters
>
> For each question, you will be given a list of four or five
> characters from "Saturday Night Live". Name the cast member who
> """played""" all of those characters.
>
> 1. The Richmeister, k.d. lang, Soon-Yi Previn, Weed Guy.
>
> 2. Doug Whiner, Andy Rooney, Pokey, Jerry Lewis.

Joe Piscopo

> 3. Blossom, Jan Brady, Tonya Harding, Tori Spelling.
>
> 4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
> the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.

Phil Hartmann

> 5. Alfalfa, Chi-Chi, Geraldine Ferraro, Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

Dana Carvey

> 6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
> Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.

Chris Farley

> 7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
> Bob Widette.

Dan Ayckroyd

> 8. Dr. Jocelyn Elders, Whoopi Goldberg, Queen Shenequa, Zoraida
> the NBC page.
>
> 9. Tammy Faye Bakker, Jessica Hahn, Marla Maples, Sinéad O'Connor,
> Candy Sweeney.

Julia Sweeney

> 10. Wayne Campbell, Middle-Aged Man, Lothar of the Hill People,
> Simon, Mick Jagger.

Mike Myers

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature
>
> 1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
> for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
> an Anarchist" has been performed in English.
>
> 2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
> was better known as a film director. His films included "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
> Who?

Visconti

> 3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
> titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
> writings, but probably didn't know his play.
>
> 4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
> representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
> was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
> The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
> a Christian. Name him.
>
> 5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
> Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
> in 1936.
>
> 6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
> his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
> named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
> Who was he?
>
> 7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
> Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
> story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
> of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
> after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?

Bubonic Plague

> 8. The writer and painter Carlo Levi published an autobiographical
> book in 1945 called "Christ Stopped at Eboli", describing the
> years he had to spend in a godforsaken southern Italian village.
> Why was he living in Eboli?
>
> 9. Name the author of magic-realism novels who died in 1985
> and whose works include "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler",
> "Mr. Palomar", "Invisible Cities", and a collection of Italian
> fables.
>
> 10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
> "A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
> Name of the Rose"?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3 answers: SNL, ItalLit

<XO2dnQ2sIqwPvg_9nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2919&group=rec.games.trivia#2919

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 2-3 answers: SNL, ItalLit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 23:48:18 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 5 May 2021 04:48 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried these.

> 1. Larry Harris and William Leavitt, two American microbiologists,
> were arrested near Las Vegas this week and charged with
> possession of what?

Anthrax bacteria.

> 2. Who was the long-time baseball broadcaster who died this week
> at the age of 78?

Harry Caray.

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Characters

> For each question, you will be given a list of four or five
> characters from "Saturday Night Live". Name the cast member who
> """played""" all of those characters.

I've assumed, without checking, that while some of the same characters
may have been played by other people since 1998, there are no cases
where the complete list of characters in a question were. If an
answer of yours was scored wrong but you think it's correct as of
2021, please post a protest.

> 1. The Richmeister, k.d. lang, Soon-Yi Previn, Weed Guy.

Rob Schneider.

> 2. Doug Whiner, Andy Rooney, Pokey, Jerry Lewis.

Joe Piscopo. 4 for Pete.

> 3. Blossom, Jan Brady, Tonya Harding, Tori Spelling.

Melanie Hutsell.

> 4. Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Susan
> the She-Male, Saddam Hussein.

Phil Hartman. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Alfalfa, Chi-Chi, Geraldine Ferraro, Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

Mary Gross. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Carnie Phillips, Matt Foley the motivational speaker, General
> Schwarzkopf, Tom Arnold.

Chris Farley. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Beldar Conehead, Fred Garvin the male prostitute, Elwood Blues,
> Bob Widette.

Dan Aykroyd. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 3 of them spelled Aykroyd correctly.

> 8. Dr. Jocelyn Elders, Whoopi Goldberg, Queen Shenequa, Zoraida
> the NBC page.

Ellen Cleghorne.

> 9. Tammy Faye Bakker, Jessica Hahn, Marla Maples, Sinéad O'Connor,
> Candy Sweeney.

Jan Hooks.

> 10. Wayne Campbell, Middle-Aged Man, Lothar of the Hill People,
> Simon, Mick Jagger.

Mike Myers. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Italian Literature

> 1. Name the Marxist satirical playwright who won the Nobel Prize
> for Literature """last year""". His play "Accidental Death of
> an Anarchist" has been performed in English.

Dario Fo. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Another Marxist writer -- a novelist, essayist, and poet --
> was better known as a film director. His films included "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew" and "The Canterbury Tales".
> Who?

Pier Paolo Pasolini. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. What political and historical writer also wrote a comic play
> titled "The Mandragola"? Shakespeare knew about his political
> writings, but probably didn't know his play.

Niccolo Machiavelli. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. Dante imagined himself taken through hell by two guides, one
> representing theology and the other literature. The first guide
> was the woman he loved, Beatrice, who showed him into Heaven.
> The second guide couldn't get into Heaven because he was not
> a Christian. Name him.

Vergilius or Vergil or Virgil. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. Name the absurdist playwright and novelist who wrote "Six
> Characters in Search of an Author" and "Henry IV". He died
> in 1936.

Luigi Pirandello. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. An Italian poet and intellectual of the Renaissance lived much of
> his life in Avignon, France, where he wrote poems to a woman
> named Laura. His name is associated with a type of sonnet.
> Who was he?

Francesco Petrarca or Petrarch. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. Boccaccio's collection of satirical and bawdy tales, "The
> Decameron", is contained in a fictional "frame story". The frame
> story describes how these tales were composed in 1348 by a group
> of young Florentine men and women who wanted to amuse themselves
> after they fled their city. Why did they leave Florence?

The Black Death (Plague). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. The writer and painter Carlo Levi published an autobiographical
> book in 1945 called "Christ Stopped at Eboli", describing the
> years he had to spend in a godforsaken southern Italian village.
> Why was he living in Eboli?

He was exiled there by Mussolini as an anti-fascist.

The original guideline was that "any reference to exile" was
sufficient. This is not the same as hiding from the government --
it means the authorities had caught him and required him to move.

> 9. Name the author of magic-realism novels who died in 1985
> and whose works include "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler",
> "Mr. Palomar", "Invisible Cities", and a collection of Italian
> fables.

Italo Calvino. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Who """is""" the academic, journalist, and novelist who wrote
> "A Theory of Semiotics", "Travels in Hyperreality", and "The
> Name of the Rose"?

Umberto Eco. (He died in 2016.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 52
Dan Blum 12 31 43
Pete Gayde 20 4 24
Dan Tilque 8 4 12

--
Mark Brader "You can do this in a number of ways.
Toronto IBM chose to do all of them...