Some people have parts that are so private they themselves have no knowledge of them.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

SubjectAuthor
* Corned beef tonight in "the pot"Ed P
+* Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|`- Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"Ed P
+- Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"deltahorse
`- Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"dsi1

1
Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

<JbQ4N.867$_f8d.837@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292133&group=rec.food.cooking#292133

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:50:01 -0500
 by: Ed P - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:50 UTC

Bought the beef on sale around St Pats day and froze it. Finally
cooking it today in "the Pot"

The pot has some history. It is Club Aluminum bought back in the 1920s
when it was a new brand. I have no idea of the cost back then, if it
was cheap or a luxury item.

My memory of it goes back to the 1950s when we would go to my
grandmother's house for dinner and she made pot roast in the Dutch oven.
Always a rump roast and it was always fantastic. Mashed potatoes and
gravy was the usual.

When we got older, the three of us married and on our own, my
grandmother would come visit. We had to pick her up, of course, and she
would insist to make the pot roast and she would bring the pot.

Eventually, she passed and my mother had the pot. She used it but not
quite as good as Babcia could make. Now, we are in the early 1980s and
my mother passed so we had to close the house. My brother was far away
and didn't want anything, my sister said she wanted "the knife" and I
happily took the pot. My wife made wonderful things in it too.

If you mention"the pot" to anyone in my family, they will have a story.
My daughter has her eye on it next. I don't use it as often as it once
was, but the memories enhance the meal

https://postimg.cc/cKVmkcTG

Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

<650ecce3-10af-4ae2-8871-eb1857d7fe48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292144&group=rec.food.cooking#292144

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:08:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 20:08 UTC

On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 1:50:08 PM UTC-6, Ed P wrote:

> Bought the beef on sale around St Pats day and froze it. Finally
> cooking it today in "the Pot"
>
> The pot has some history. It is Club Aluminum bought back in the 1920s
> when it was a new brand. I have no idea of the cost back then, if it
> was cheap or a luxury item.
>
> My memory of it goes back to the 1950s when we would go to my
> grandmother's house for dinner and she made pot roast in the Dutch oven.
> Always a rump roast and it was always fantastic. Mashed potatoes and
> gravy was the usual.
>
> When we got older, the three of us married and on our own, my
> grandmother would come visit. We had to pick her up, of course, and she
> would insist to make the pot roast and she would bring the pot.
>
> Eventually, she passed and my mother had the pot. She used it but not
> quite as good as Babcia could make. Now, we are in the early 1980s and
> my mother passed so we had to close the house. My brother was far away
> and didn't want anything, my sister said she wanted "the knife" and I
> happily took the pot. My wife made wonderful things in it too.
>
> If you mention"the pot" to anyone in my family, they will have a story.
> My daughter has her eye on it next. I don't use it as often as it once
> was, but the memories enhance the meal
>
> https://postimg.cc/cKVmkcTG

My mother had one like that, but the lid was not quite as domed as this
one! Hers also had a bail on it, but I honestly don't know if it was Club
aluminum or not and it was around the 6-quart size. Did anyone else
make these pots or were they exclusively the Club brand??

Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

<QnR4N.10841$rx%7.5730@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292167&group=rec.food.cooking#292167

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:11:12 -0500
 by: Ed P - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 21:11 UTC

On 11/14/2023 3:08 PM, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 1:50:08 PM UTC-6, Ed P wrote:
>>
>> Bought the beef on sale around St Pats day and froze it. Finally
>> cooking it today in "the Pot"
>>
>> The pot has some history. It is Club Aluminum bought back in the 1920s
>> when it was a new brand. I have no idea of the cost back then, if it
>> was cheap or a luxury item.
>>
>> My memory of it goes back to the 1950s when we would go to my
>> grandmother's house for dinner and she made pot roast in the Dutch oven.
>> Always a rump roast and it was always fantastic. Mashed potatoes and
>> gravy was the usual.
>>
>> When we got older, the three of us married and on our own, my
>> grandmother would come visit. We had to pick her up, of course, and she
>> would insist to make the pot roast and she would bring the pot.
>>
>> Eventually, she passed and my mother had the pot. She used it but not
>> quite as good as Babcia could make. Now, we are in the early 1980s and
>> my mother passed so we had to close the house. My brother was far away
>> and didn't want anything, my sister said she wanted "the knife" and I
>> happily took the pot. My wife made wonderful things in it too.
>>
>> If you mention"the pot" to anyone in my family, they will have a story.
>> My daughter has her eye on it next. I don't use it as often as it once
>> was, but the memories enhance the meal
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/cKVmkcTG
>>
> My mother had one like that, but the lid was not quite as domed as this
> one! Hers also had a bail on it, but I honestly don't know if it was Club
> aluminum or not and it was around the 6-quart size. Did anyone else
> make these pots or were they exclusively the Club brand??

There is a model that has a flatter lid.

The price of them seems to be in the $20 to $40 range. The one I have
has enough sentimental value to be priceless for me. Never for sale.
Though at some point in the future, it will get tossed in the recycle
bin to make beer cans.

Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

<20231114142646.c21751bef35c85a87fe5a315@ta.or>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292174&group=rec.food.cooking#292174

From: del...@ta.or (deltahorse)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:26:46 -0700
 by: deltahorse - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 21:26 UTC

On Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:50:01 -0500
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> The pot has some history. It is Club Aluminum bought back in the 1920s
> when it was a new brand. I have no idea of the cost back then, if it
> was cheap or a luxury item.

Fascinating!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/718038803/club-aluminum-roaster-turkey-roaster

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394028470165

Collectible too.

Re: Corned beef tonight in "the pot"

<a48e4b2b-8a40-408e-b06c-c3c01472c9d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292242&group=rec.food.cooking#292242

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 00:21:35 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:21 UTC

On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 9:50:08 AM UTC-10, Ed P wrote:
> Bought the beef on sale around St Pats day and froze it. Finally
> cooking it today in "the Pot"
>
> The pot has some history. It is Club Aluminum bought back in the 1920s
> when it was a new brand. I have no idea of the cost back then, if it
> was cheap or a luxury item.
>
> My memory of it goes back to the 1950s when we would go to my
> grandmother's house for dinner and she made pot roast in the Dutch oven.
> Always a rump roast and it was always fantastic. Mashed potatoes and
> gravy was the usual.
>
> When we got older, the three of us married and on our own, my
> grandmother would come visit. We had to pick her up, of course, and she
> would insist to make the pot roast and she would bring the pot.
>
> Eventually, she passed and my mother had the pot. She used it but not
> quite as good as Babcia could make. Now, we are in the early 1980s and
> my mother passed so we had to close the house. My brother was far away
> and didn't want anything, my sister said she wanted "the knife" and I
> happily took the pot. My wife made wonderful things in it too.
>
> If you mention"the pot" to anyone in my family, they will have a story.
> My daughter has her eye on it next. I don't use it as often as it once
> was, but the memories enhance the meal
>
> https://postimg.cc/cKVmkcTG

Aluminum pots must have been a thing back in the old days. I don't imagine that they were expensive because our family had one. I think we still got it somewhere. What I'd like to find is our old cast aluminum rice pot. It had raised, curved, edges that was made to prevent boil-overs. Once we got an automatic rice cooker, it was all over for that old pot.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-145c93e36a5c1231b87f6750f8e25b3d-lq