You will never amount to much. -- Munich Schoolmaster, to Albert Einstein, age 10

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersJoshua Kreitzer
|`- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersErland Sommarskog
+* RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellersMark Brader
|`* RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellersMark Brader
| `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellersDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersDan Tilque
`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersDan Blum
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellersDan Blum
  `- RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellersMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<I9OdnRGVqtG2tgv9nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2926&group=rec.games.trivia#2926

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 01:09:47 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 May 2021 06:09 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
voyage to America?

2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
English commander?

6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

7. What hotel, with a commanding view of most of Quebec City,
was built in 1892 on the former site of the Château St-Louis?

8. This church was built in 1688 in the Lower Town of Quebec.
It was known as Enfant-Jésus, but was renamed after the French
defeated the British armies twice. It has been known by what
name since 1711?

9. This building, on Cap Diamant near the Plains of Abraham,
was built by the British as part of their fortifications against
a possible American invasion of Quebec. It was started in 1820
and completed in 1831 at a cost of $35,000,000. Name it.

10. He too has a monument in Parc Montmorency. He was born in
1814, was admitted to the bar in 1835, and became leader
of the Conservative Party of Quebec and John A. Macdonald's
right-hand man. He died in London (England) in 1873. Name him.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers

This round simply asks you to identify the 10 books that were on
the Globe & Mail's """latest""" Saturday list of fiction paperback
bestsellers in Canada -- or, in other words, those books that
the stores would like you to help them get rid of because they
ordered so many of them. For each book we will simply give you
the copyright date plus part or all of the blurb and/or reviewers'
quotes given on or near its front and back covers. To give you
every opportunity, the excerpts are long: feel free to interrupt
if you know the answer.

(As it turned out, hardly anybody knew any of them, so this round --
one of four that were tied for being the hardest of the season --
was tedious at the time and will only be worse in 2021. No, I'm
not accepting answers based on the current bestseller list in 2021.
Apologies in advance. Oh yeah, and of the two rounds in this set,
this awful thing is the one I wrote.)

But first listen, because there are a number of notes and some
special scoring. First note: the books are *not* in the same
order as on the bestseller list.

Also, sometimes the title actually occurs within the blurb or
review that we'll provide. If it does, we *may or may not*
replace it with <title>. Thus some of the answers, or part of
them, may occur within the questions. If the author's name occurs,
we will always substitute the words "the author".

Now the scoring. Each answer has two parts -- the book's title
and author. You can give just one of these and take up to two
guesses in the usual manner for 4, 3, or 2 points. But if you
give one guess at the title and one guess at the author and *both
are correct*, you get a 2-point bonus for 6 points. (If only one
is correct, I'll score as usual for a two-guess response.)

1. © 1997. 18 years ago, young Tess McPhail left her tiny hometown
of Wintergreen, Missouri... She headed for Nashville...
Now one of country music's brightest lights, "Mac" McPhail is
a millionaire... Her career is her life. At 35, Mac has no
time for marriage, children, or kinfolk -- until her sisters
insist she come home to help care for their widowed mother.
Mac isn't thrilled about spending a month in Wintergreen.
But her visit home turns out to be far from dull.

2. © 1996. Kirkus Reviews says the author "brings an edgy
authority, a gimlet eye for her city, and a taste for nonstop
conflict to her new novel." The Hartford Courant says "...the
crimes are intriguing." And the blurb reads in full: "Meet
the police department of Charlotte, North Carolina. And find
out why they call it 'the <title> of America'."

3. © 1997. Charlotte Arkendale knew all there was to know about
men. After all, she'd made a career of steering marriage-minded
women away from untrustworthy members of the opposite sex.
Yet nothing could have prepared her for Baxter St. Ives -- an
arresting stranger too daring, too determined, too *dangerous*
to be her new man-of-affairs. Still, perhaps he was the perfect
person to help her investigate the recent murder of one of
her clients. So she gave him the chance, never realizing
that Baxter, a gifted scientist, would soon conduct a risky
exploration into the alchemy of desire...

4. © 1996. Winner of the Commonwealth Prize for Best First
Novel, the CAA Literary Award for fiction, and the Dartmouth
Award for fiction; the Globe & Mail's Editor's Choice and Notable
Book of the Year. No further blurb. The Vancouver Sun says,
"Brilliant... profoundly and refreshingly different. <title>
is about family secrets, the deeply buried events, memories,
and motivations that make human relations an almost impenetrable
mystery. The author has constructed a plot worthy of Victor
Hugo, a novel that is like peeling an onion (not without tears)."

5. © 1998. They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force.
And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-Wing pilots
risk life and machines against the Rebel Alliance. Now they
must go on a daring undercover mission -- as the crew of an
Imperial warship. It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation:
a covert-action unit of X-Wing fighters, castoffs and rejects
given one last chance...

(Note: This book's full title has four parts! There's a series
title, sub-series title, book number within the sub-series,
and finally an individual book title. The last part, the
individual book title, will be a sufficient answer.)

6. © 1997. They had been inseparable as roommates in college:
Mary Stuart, Tanya, and Zoe. But in the more than 20 years that
followed, the three had moved on with their lives. By chance,
each would find herself alone for a few weeks one summer,
wrestling with both the present and the past. At a sprawling
ranch in the foothills of Wyoming's Grand Tetons, the three
women come together and find courage, healing, and truth...

7. © 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
$90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
different from the one he left behind...

(For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including
the subtitle.)

9. © *1987*. In the middle of the South Pacific, a thousand feet
below the surface of the water, a huge vessel is discovered
resting on the ocean floor. It is a spaceship of phenomenal
dimensions, apparently undamaged by its fall from the sky.
And, most startling, it appears to be at least 300 years old.

10. © 1997. Detective Harry Bosch is back on the job and working
on the hottest murder investigation in Hollywood. The body
of a movie producer has been found stuffed into the trunk of
his Rolls... The money trail leads from L.A. to Las Vegas,
and Harry's determined to get to the bottom of things... And,
as if he wasn't knee-deep in trouble already, he's about to
make the biggest gamble of all -- on love.

--
Mark Brader | "I do not want to give the impression I spend all
Toronto | my time on the Internet, but in the right hands
| it is an even better one." -- Cecil Adams

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<s77cs0$k7r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2928&group=rec.games.trivia#2928

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 20:11:32 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 9 May 2021 01:11 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City
>
> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Marquette; Cartier

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Marquette; Cartier

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.
>
> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?
>
> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?
>
> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.
>
> 7. What hotel, with a commanding view of most of Quebec City,
> was built in 1892 on the former site of the Château St-Louis?

Frontenac

> [...]
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.
>
> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...
>
> (For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including
> the subtitle.)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<25cf811f-c3f8-4782-831f-82b0d19aeb54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2930&group=rec.games.trivia#2930

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 12:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 9 May 2021 19:17 UTC

<ffd6e6b5-9224-482f-9f94-7947f33904ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2931&group=rec.games.trivia#2931

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 12:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 9 May 2021 19:23 UTC

I apparently just posted a message with no answers by mistake. If so, and in the hopes that won't be counted, here are my actual answers. (If that's not okay, then just disregard this posting.)

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:09:56 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City
>
> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Cartier

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Cartier

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold (?)

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers
>
> This round simply asks you to identify the 10 books that were on
> the Globe & Mail's """latest""" Saturday list of fiction paperback
> bestsellers in Canada -- or, in other words, those books that
> the stores would like you to help them get rid of because they
> ordered so many of them. For each book we will simply give you
> the copyright date plus part or all of the blurb and/or reviewers'
> quotes given on or near its front and back covers. To give you
> every opportunity, the excerpts are long: feel free to interrupt
> if you know the answer.

> 7. © 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

John Grisham
> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...

Arthur Clarke

> 9. © *1987*. In the middle of the South Pacific, a thousand feet
> below the surface of the water, a huge vessel is discovered
> resting on the ocean floor. It is a spaceship of phenomenal
> dimensions, apparently undamaged by its fall from the sky.
> And, most startling, it appears to be at least 300 years old.

Michael Crichton, "Sphere"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<7rWdnQQJsNXazQX9nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2932&group=rec.games.trivia#2932

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 16:12:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 9 May 2021 21:12 UTC

Joshua Kreitzer:
> I apparently just posted a message with no answers by mistake.

Duly ignored.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto (require 'msb)
msb@vex.net -- Lars Lindberg

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<XnsAD26CFC3E7592Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2933&group=rec.games.trivia#2933

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 20:25:26 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 10 May 2021 18:25 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers
>
> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...
>
> (For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including
> the subtitle.)

Arthur C. Clarke. It has to be "3001 something", but what that something
might be, I don't know.

RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellers

<UP6dnfea8bXBogf9nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=rec.games.trivia#2934

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 03:25:00 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Jacques Cartier. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Samuel de Champlain.

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

James Wolfe, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm.

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?

Guy Carlton.

> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

François de Laval.

> 7. What hotel, with a commanding view of most of Quebec City,
> was built in 1892 on the former site of the Château St-Louis?

Château Frontenac. I accepted "Frontenac" alone, so 4 for Pete.

> 8. This church was built in 1688 in the Lower Town of Quebec.
> It was known as Enfant-Jésus, but was renamed after the French
> defeated the British armies twice. It has been known by what
> name since 1711?

Notre-Dame des Victoires (Our Lady of the Victories).

> 9. This building, on Cap Diamant near the Plains of Abraham,
> was built by the British as part of their fortifications against
> a possible American invasion of Quebec. It was started in 1820
> and completed in 1831 at a cost of $35,000,000. Name it.

The Citadel.

> 10. He too has a monument in Parc Montmorency. He was born in
> 1814, was admitted to the bar in 1835, and became leader
> of the Conservative Party of Quebec and John A. Macdonald's
> right-hand man. He died in London (England) in 1873. Name him.

George-Étienne Cartier.

Yes, he was "George" without an S.

In 1965 the most important road in Ontario, Highway 401, was given the
additional name of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway -- and that's *this*
Cartier, not <answer 1>. But as if that wasn't enough overnaming,
in 2007 it was given as *additional* additional name as the Highway
of Heroes, and the remaining signs for the earlier name were removed.
In practice everybody just uses the highway number anyway.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers

> This round simply asks you to identify the 10 books that were on
> the Globe & Mail's """latest""" Saturday list of fiction paperback
> bestsellers in Canada -- or, in other words, those books that
> the stores would like you to help them get rid of because they
> ordered so many of them. For each book we will simply give you
> the copyright date plus part or all of the blurb and/or reviewers'
> quotes given on or near its front and back covers. To give you
> every opportunity, the excerpts are long: feel free to interrupt
> if you know the answer.

> (As it turned out, hardly anybody knew any of them, so this round --
> one of four that were tied for being the hardest of the season --
> was tedious at the time and will only be worse in 2021. No, I'm
> not accepting answers based on the current bestseller list in 2021.
> Apologies in advance. Oh yeah, and of the two rounds in this set,
> this awful thing is the one I wrote.)

> But first listen, because there are a number of notes and some
> special scoring. First note: the books are *not* in the same
> order as on the bestseller list.

> Also, sometimes the title actually occurs within the blurb or
> review that we'll provide. If it does, we *may or may not*
> replace it with <title>. Thus some of the answers, or part of
> them, may occur within the questions. If the author's name occurs,
> we will always substitute the words "the author".

> Now the scoring. Each answer has two parts -- the book's title
> and author. You can give just one of these and take up to two
> guesses in the usual manner for 4, 3, or 2 points. But if you
> give one guess at the title and one guess at the author and *both
> are correct*, you get a 2-point bonus for 6 points. (If only one
> is correct, I'll score as usual for a two-guess response.)

> 1. © 1997. 18 years ago, young Tess McPhail left her tiny hometown
> of Wintergreen, Missouri... She headed for Nashville...
> Now one of country music's brightest lights, "Mac" McPhail is
> a millionaire... Her career is her life. At 35, Mac has no
> time for marriage, children, or kinfolk -- until her sisters
> insist she come home to help care for their widowed mother.
> Mac isn't thrilled about spending a month in Wintergreen.
> But her visit home turns out to be far from dull.

"Small Town Girl" (#6 on the list), LaVyrle Spencer.

> 2. © 1996. Kirkus Reviews says the author "brings an edgy
> authority, a gimlet eye for her city, and a taste for nonstop
> conflict to her new novel." The Hartford Courant says "...the
> crimes are intriguing." And the blurb reads in full: "Meet
> the police department of Charlotte, North Carolina. And find
> out why they call it 'the <title> of America'."

"Hornet's Nest" (#2), Patricia Cornwell.

> 3. © 1997. Charlotte Arkendale knew all there was to know about
> men. After all, she'd made a career of steering marriage-minded
> women away from untrustworthy members of the opposite sex.
> Yet nothing could have prepared her for Baxter St. Ives -- an
> arresting stranger too daring, too determined, too *dangerous*
> to be her new man-of-affairs. Still, perhaps he was the perfect
> person to help her investigate the recent murder of one of
> her clients. So she gave him the chance, never realizing
> that Baxter, a gifted scientist, would soon conduct a risky
> exploration into the alchemy of desire...

"Affair" (#8), Amanda Quick.

> 4. © 1996. Winner of the Commonwealth Prize for Best First
> Novel, the CAA Literary Award for fiction, and the Dartmouth
> Award for fiction; the Globe & Mail's Editor's Choice and Notable
> Book of the Year. No further blurb. The Vancouver Sun says,
> "Brilliant... profoundly and refreshingly different. <title>
> is about family secrets, the deeply buried events, memories,
> and motivations that make human relations an almost impenetrable
> mystery. The author has constructed a plot worthy of Victor
> Hugo, a novel that is like peeling an onion (not without tears)."

"Fall on your Knees" (#9), Ann-Marie MacDonald.

> 5. © 1998. They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force.
> And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-Wing pilots
> risk life and machines against the Rebel Alliance. Now they
> must go on a daring undercover mission -- as the crew of an
> Imperial warship. It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation:
> a covert-action unit of X-Wing fighters, castoffs and rejects
> given one last chance...

> (Note: This book's full title has four parts! There's a series
> title, sub-series title, book number within the sub-series,
> and finally an individual book title. The last part, the
> individual book title, will be a sufficient answer.)

"(Star Wars: X-Wing Book 5:) Wraith Squadron" (#10), Aaron Allston.

In 2009 I wrote: "incidentally, I was in a bookstore recently where
they provided a helpful checklist of all the 'Star Wars' novels: there
have been over 100 of them, and about a dozen different sub-series."
I hate to think how many there may have been *now*.

> 6. © 1997. They had been inseparable as roommates in college:
> Mary Stuart, Tanya, and Zoe. But in the more than 20 years that
> followed, the three had moved on with their lives. By chance,
> each would find herself alone for a few weeks one summer,
> wrestling with both the present and the past. At a sprawling
> ranch in the foothills of Wyoming's Grand Tetons, the three
> women come together and find courage, healing, and truth...

"The Ranch", Danielle Steel.

> 7. © 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<s7dfhq$p5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2936&group=rec.games.trivia#2936

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 01:34:00 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:34 UTC

On 5/7/21 11:09 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City
>
> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Cartier

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Champlain

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

Montcalm and Wolfe

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Arnold

> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?
>
> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

Laval

> [...]
>
> 7. © 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.
>
> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...
>
> (For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including

3001: The Final Odyssey

> 9. © *1987*. In the middle of the South Pacific, a thousand feet
> below the surface of the water, a huge vessel is discovered
> resting on the ocean floor. It is a spaceship of phenomenal
> dimensions, apparently undamaged by its fall from the sky.
> And, most startling, it appears to be at least 300 years old.
>
> 10. © 1997. Detective Harry Bosch is back on the job and working
> on the hottest murder investigation in Hollywood. The body
> of a movie producer has been found stuffed into the trunk of
> his Rolls... The money trail leads from L.A. to Las Vegas,
> and Harry's determined to get to the bottom of things... And,
> as if he wasn't knee-deep in trouble already, he's about to
> make the biggest gamble of all -- on love.

Click here to read the complete article
RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellers

<womdnTO2Wvx6dAf9nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2940&group=rec.games.trivia#2940

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:32:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 May 2021 20:32 UTC

Since Dan Tilque's answer slate was posted less than 10 minutes after
the correct answers, I'm going to assume that he was already working
on it when I posted the correct answers and accept his.

Here is the revised version of the answers posting, then.

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Jacques Cartier. 4 for Joshua and Dan. 2 for Pete.

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Samuel de Champlain. 4 for Dan.

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

James Wolfe, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm. 4 for Dan.

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?

Guy Carlton.

> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

François de Laval. 4 for Dan.

> 7. What hotel, with a commanding view of most of Quebec City,
> was built in 1892 on the former site of the Château St-Louis?

Château Frontenac. I accepted "Frontenac", so 4 for Pete.

<s7fe3j$crq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2942&group=rec.games.trivia#2942

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 19:21:38 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 12 May 2021 02:21 UTC

On 5/11/21 1:32 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Since Dan Tilque's answer slate was posted less than 10 minutes after
> the correct answers, I'm going to assume that he was already working
> on it when I posted the correct answers and accept his.

Did not expect that and appreciate it. Your first answer post was
definitely not in my news reader when I started composing my answers.

>> 8. © 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
>> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
>> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
>> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
>> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
>> different from the one he left behind...
>
>> (For this one if you give the title we need all of it, including
>> the subtitle.)
>
> "3001: The Final Odyssey" (#7), Arthur C. Clarke. 4 for everyone --
> Pete, Joshua, Erland, and Dan.
>
> I was surprised in 2009 when one entrant knew the full title but
> not the author's name, and it happened again this time.

Actually, I forgot about the special scoring rules you made for this
round. I certainly knew the author's name.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<s763bv$c3u$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2943&group=rec.games.trivia#2943

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 13:23:11 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 8 May 2021 13:23 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Cartier

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Cartier

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

Montcalm and Wolfe

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers

> 5. ? 1998. They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force.
> And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-Wing pilots
> risk life and machines against the Rebel Alliance. Now they
> must go on a daring undercover mission -- as the crew of an
> Imperial warship. It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation:
> a covert-action unit of X-Wing fighters, castoffs and rejects
> given one last chance...

Timothy Zahn

> 7. ? 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

John Grisham

> 8. ? 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> different from the one he left behind...

Arthur C. Clarke

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: Quebec City, bestsellers

<s7f6o7$2up$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2944&group=rec.games.trivia#2944

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 00:16:07 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 12 May 2021 00:16 UTC

I guess my answers didn't appear on your server, but I did post them:

Dan Blum <tool@panix.com> wrote:
> Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> > * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> > 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> > over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> > voyage to America?

> Cartier

> > 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

> Cartier

> > 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

> Montcalm and Wolfe

> > 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> > American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

> Benedict Arnold

> > * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Bestsellers

> > 5. ? 1998. They are the galaxy's most elite fighting force.
> > And as the battle against the Empire rages, the X-Wing pilots
> > risk life and machines against the Rebel Alliance. Now they
> > must go on a daring undercover mission -- as the crew of an
> > Imperial warship. It is Wedge Antilles' boldest creation:
> > a covert-action unit of X-Wing fighters, castoffs and rejects
> > given one last chance...

> Timothy Zahn

> > 7. ? 1997. Once he was a well-liked, well-paid young partner in
> > a thriving Mississippi law firm. Then Patrick Lanigan stole
> > $90 million from his own firm -- and ran for his life. For 4
> > years, he evaded men who were rich, powerful, and would stop at
> > nothing to find him... On the edge of the Brazilian jungles,
> > they finally tracked him down... And in the Mississippi city
> > where it all began, an extraordinary trial is about to begin.

> John Grisham

> > 8. ? 1997. One thousand years after the Jupiter mission to explore
> > the mysterious Monolith had been destroyed, after Dave Bowman was
> > transformed into the Star Child, Frank Poole drifted in space,
> > frozen and forgotten, leaving the supercomputer HAL inoperable.
> > But now Poole has returned to life, awakening in a world far
> > different from the one he left behind...

> Arthur C. Clarke

> --
> Dan Blum tool@panix.com
> "I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't just made it up."

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 7-8 answers: Quebec City, bestsellers

<-6qdncaNNImcLgH9nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2946&group=rec.games.trivia#2946

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 00:02:57 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 13 May 2021 05:02 UTC

Dan Blum:
> I guess my answers didn't appear on your server, but I did post them:

Okay, here we go *again*.

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Quebec City

> 1. What famous French explorer was the first European to stay
> over a winter on the site of Quebec City, during his second
> voyage to America?

Jacques Cartier. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 2. Which explorer founded the city of Quebec?

Samuel de Champlain. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. Name *both* generals who died on the Plains of Abraham.

James Wolfe, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 4. In 1775, American forces under the command of what famous
> American soldier laid siege to Quebec City?

Benedict Arnold. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Early in 1776, the American forces were repulsed by what
> English commander?

Guy Carlton.

> 6. He was born in France in 1623, ordained in 1647, and became the
> first Bishop of Quebec in 1674. A monument to him stands outside
> the old post office near Parc Montmorency in Quebec. Name him.

François de Laval. 4 for Dan Tilque.