Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "The Space Transportation System of Human Mars Exploration"
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:21 UTC

"The Head of state-owned China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) Wang Xiaojun announced the plans during a speech called "The Space Transportation System of Human Mars Exploration", which took place at the Global Space Exploration Conference (GLEX 2021), à la virtual link, according to the Global Times report. In review of the success of China's Tianwen-1 probe, the nation's first interplanetary mission to orbit, land, and see a rover disembark on the Red Planet — in one comprehensive mission — Wang declared his nation's three-step plan to put humans on Mars.

The primary stage, also called the technology preparation phase, will reportedly involve robots designed to return Mars samples, and explore a base site for a future human installation on Mars. Afterward, a second stage will send humans there, who will construct a permanent base. Once it's completed, a third stage will see large-scale Earth-to-Mars cargo fleets depart to seed and accelerate development projects on the Red Planet. The schedule for these and additional phases are 2033, 2035, 2037, 2041, 2043, and more, according to the academy.

Notably, China is considering nuclear-propelled vehicles for human missions of exploration to Mars, in addition to a "Sky Ladder" system, which is currently under investigation as a means of reducing the scale or cost of future probe and transport missions to the Red Planet. We're not sure what the academy means by "Sky Ladder", but, taking a wild guess: it could be a space elevator. While not a new idea, the notion of building a vertical transport connecting a planet's surface to orbital altitudes would be extremely difficult, on Mars or Earth, to pull off. But the technological skills necessary for such a grandiose feat of engineering may simply not exist yet."
https://interestingengineering.com/china-sending-first-humans-mars-2033

Re: "The Space Transportation System of Human Mars Exploration"

<8a498928-e957-4743-9adf-286b8dff37ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2943&group=soc.culture.china#2943

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:22 UTC

On Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 12:21:19 PM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The Head of state-owned China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) Wang Xiaojun announced the plans during a speech called "The Space Transportation System of Human Mars Exploration", which took place at the Global Space Exploration Conference (GLEX 2021), à la virtual link, according to the Global Times report. In review of the success of China's Tianwen-1 probe, the nation's first interplanetary mission to orbit, land, and see a rover disembark on the Red Planet — in one comprehensive mission — Wang declared his nation's three-step plan to put humans on Mars.
>
> The primary stage, also called the technology preparation phase, will reportedly involve robots designed to return Mars samples, and explore a base site for a future human installation on Mars. Afterward, a second stage will send humans there, who will construct a permanent base. Once it's completed, a third stage will see large-scale Earth-to-Mars cargo fleets depart to seed and accelerate development projects on the Red Planet. The schedule for these and additional phases are 2033, 2035, 2037, 2041, 2043, and more, according to the academy.
>
> Notably, China is considering nuclear-propelled vehicles for human missions of exploration to Mars, in addition to a "Sky Ladder" system, which is currently under investigation as a means of reducing the scale or cost of future probe and transport missions to the Red Planet. We're not sure what the academy means by "Sky Ladder", but, taking a wild guess: it could be a space elevator. While not a new idea, the notion of building a vertical transport connecting a planet's surface to orbital altitudes would be extremely difficult, on Mars or Earth, to pull off. But the technological skills necessary for such a grandiose feat of engineering may simply not exist yet."
> https://interestingengineering.com/china-sending-first-humans-mars-2033

What will lunar travel be like?

Scientists have envisaged a "sky ladder," which will transport humans and goods to the moon for just four percent of the current cost.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-04/24/c_139902367.htm

interests / soc.culture.china / "The Space Transportation System of Human Mars Exploration"