Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 03:27:53 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.

** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf

The palindrome says it all: "Golf? No sir, prefer prison flog."

In a noble effort, the Scottish parliament in 1457 passed a law
banning golf, which read in part, "golff be utterly cryit doune
and not usit." Alas, no one paid attention.

1. Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania, which had been the site for
both the US Open and the US Amateur championships, """still
uses""" what most early golf courses used to mark the holes on
one of its courses. Instead of marking the pins with flags,
what """does""" it have?

2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?

3. In 1997 the Canadian Open was played at the oldest golf course
in North America. Name the course or the city.

4. At which course """is""" the Canadian Open usually played?

5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
course in?

6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?

9. Why are there 18 holes in a round of golf?

10. The oldest golf course in the US """is""", not by coincidence,
also named <answer 7>. What *state* """is""" the club in?

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

Your categories for this round are:

Statute of Westminster
State of What
Athletics of When
Clerics of Where
Frolics of Who

* A. Statute of Westminster

A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
not become independent from British laws or British wars;
for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
on December 11 of what year?

A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
recognized the independence from British law of five other
Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
of the five others (giving their names then or now).

* B. State of What

*Note* for these two questions the answers that were correct
in 1998 are required.

B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
just that way, often even in government documents. But when
the official name is required, a longer and historically
more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
"Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
Name any *two*.

* C. Athletics of When

C1. The two conferences of the CFL (as we knew it before the
1990s) were formed from two separate leagues called the
IRFU and the WIFU. Within 5 years, when """was the last
time""" that a team *not from any of these three leagues*
participated in the Grey Cup playoffs? Or, name the team
(city or team name).

C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
(city or team name).

* D. Clerics of Where

D1. By what title """is""" George Leonard Carey better known?
D2. By what soubriquet was Menachem Schneerson better known?

* E. Frolics of Who

This pair is about randy Democratic candidates.

E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
and begged him only to acknowledge her?

E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ken doesn't spell very well. Fortunately,
msb@vex.net he has other virtues." -- Dennis Ritchie

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round

<XnsAD27586E8FB56gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2937&group=rec.games.trivia#2937

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:41:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 11 May 2021 13:41 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:06KdncSyPcqU3Qf9nZ2dnUU7-
XvNnZ2d@giganews.com:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf
>
> 2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
> year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?

1885

> 5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
> of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
> course in?

Ohio
> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

St. Andrews
> 8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
> opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?

The Old Course

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Statute of Westminster
>
> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1932; 1933

> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia and New Zealand
> * B. State of What
>
> *Note* for these two questions the answers that were correct
> in 1998 are required.
>
> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantations
> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

Massachusetts and Pennsylvania

> * C. Athletics of When
>
> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).

1931; 1920
> * D. Clerics of Where
>
> D1. By what title """is""" George Leonard Carey better known?

Archbishop of Canterbury

> D2. By what soubriquet was Menachem Schneerson better known?

Lubavitcher Rebbe
> * E. Frolics of Who
>
> This pair is about randy Democratic candidates.
>
> E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
> in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
> and begged him only to acknowledge her?

Gennifer Flowers
> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round

<s7e8f1$ph9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2938&group=rec.games.trivia#2938

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:39:10 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:39 UTC

On 5/11/21 1:27 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf
>
> The palindrome says it all: "Golf? No sir, prefer prison flog."
>
> In a noble effort, the Scottish parliament in 1457 passed a law
> banning golf, which read in part, "golff be utterly cryit doune
> and not usit." Alas, no one paid attention.
>
> 1. Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania, which had been the site for
> both the US Open and the US Amateur championships, """still
> uses""" what most early golf courses used to mark the holes on
> one of its courses. Instead of marking the pins with flags,
> what """does""" it have?
>
> 2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
> year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?
>
> 3. In 1997 the Canadian Open was played at the oldest golf course
> in North America. Name the course or the city.
>
> 4. At which course """is""" the Canadian Open usually played?
>
> 5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
> of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
> course in?

California

> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

St Andrews

> 8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
> opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?
>
> 9. Why are there 18 holes in a round of golf?
>
> 10. The oldest golf course in the US """is""", not by coincidence,
> also named <answer 7>. What *state* """is""" the club in?
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Your categories for this round are:
>
> Statute of Westminster
> State of What
> Athletics of When
> Clerics of Where
> Frolics of Who
>

> * A. Statute of Westminster
>
> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1931

> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia, New Zealand

> * B. State of What
>
> *Note* for these two questions the answers that were correct
> in 1998 are required.
>
> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantations

> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

Kentucky, Virginia

> * C. Athletics of When
>
> C1. The two conferences of the CFL (as we knew it before the
> 1990s) were formed from two separate leagues called the
> IRFU and the WIFU. Within 5 years, when """was the last
> time""" that a team *not from any of these three leagues*
> participated in the Grey Cup playoffs? Or, name the team
> (city or team name).
>
> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).
>

> * D. Clerics of Where
>
> D1. By what title """is""" George Leonard Carey better known?
> D2. By what soubriquet was Menachem Schneerson better known?
>

> * E. Frolics of Who
>
> This pair is about randy Democratic candidates.
>
> E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
> in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
> and begged him only to acknowledge her?
>
> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round

<XnsAD27CE963E35FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2939&group=rec.games.trivia#2939

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:18:29 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 11 May 2021 18:18 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf
>
> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

Edinburgh
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Statute of Westminster
>
> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1921
> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia and New Zeland
> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantations
> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

KY, MA
> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).

1931
> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round

<s7fafg$1htj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2941&group=rec.games.trivia#2941

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:19:46 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 12 May 2021 01:19 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf
>
> The palindrome says it all: "Golf? No sir, prefer prison flog."
>
> In a noble effort, the Scottish parliament in 1457 passed a law
> banning golf, which read in part, "golff be utterly cryit doune
> and not usit." Alas, no one paid attention.
>
> 1. Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania, which had been the site for
> both the US Open and the US Amateur championships, """still
> uses""" what most early golf courses used to mark the holes on
> one of its courses. Instead of marking the pins with flags,
> what """does""" it have?
>
> 2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
> year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?

1880; 1891

> 3. In 1997 the Canadian Open was played at the oldest golf course
> in North America. Name the course or the city.
>
> 4. At which course """is""" the Canadian Open usually played?
>
> 5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
> of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
> course in?

Ohio

> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

St. Andrews

> 8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
> opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?

The Old Course

> 9. Why are there 18 holes in a round of golf?
>
> 10. The oldest golf course in the US """is""", not by coincidence,
> also named <answer 7>. What *state* """is""" the club in?
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Your categories for this round are:
>
> Statute of Westminster
> State of What
> Athletics of When
> Clerics of Where
> Frolics of Who
>

> * A. Statute of Westminster
>
> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1920; 1921

> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia and New Zealand

> * B. State of What
>
> *Note* for these two questions the answers that were correct
> in 1998 are required.
>
> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantations

> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

Kentucky and Virginia

> * C. Athletics of When
>
> C1. The two conferences of the CFL (as we knew it before the
> 1990s) were formed from two separate leagues called the
> IRFU and the WIFU. Within 5 years, when """was the last
> time""" that a team *not from any of these three leagues*
> participated in the Grey Cup playoffs? Or, name the team
> (city or team name).
>
> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).

Seattle

> * D. Clerics of Where
>
> D1. By what title """is""" George Leonard Carey better known?

Archbishop of Canterbury

> D2. By what soubriquet was Menachem Schneerson better known?

Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem

> * E. Frolics of Who
>
> This pair is about randy Democratic candidates.
>
> E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
> in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
> and begged him only to acknowledge her?

Jones

> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: golf geography, challenge round

<s7f722$2up$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2945&group=rec.games.trivia#2945

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 00:21:22 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 12 May 2021 00:21 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf

> 2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
> year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?

1900

> 3. In 1997 the Canadian Open was played at the oldest golf course
> in North America. Name the course or the city.

Halifax

> 5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
> of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
> course in?

Ohio

> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

St. Andrew's

> 8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
> opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?

St. Andrew's

> 10. The oldest golf course in the US """is""", not by coincidence,
> also named <answer 7>. What *state* """is""" the club in?

New York

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Statute of Westminster

> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1948; 1950

> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia and New Zealand

> * B. State of What

> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantation

> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

Massachusetts and Virginia

> * C. Athletics of When

> C1. The two conferences of the CFL (as we knew it before the
> 1990s) were formed from two separate leagues called the
> IRFU and the WIFU. Within 5 years, when """was the last
> time""" that a team *not from any of these three leagues*
> participated in the Grey Cup playoffs? Or, name the team
> (city or team name).

1970; 1975

> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).

1950; 1955

> * E. Frolics of Who

> E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
> in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
> and begged him only to acknowledge her?

Gennifer Flowers

> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10 answers: golf geography, challenge round

<a-edncoBtLG5ggP9nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2947&group=rec.games.trivia#2947

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 5 Rounds 9-10 answers: golf geography, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:56:36 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 14 May 2021 06:56 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner.
Hearty congratulations, sir!

> I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.

Those were pairs A-C in the challenge round. The category-name theme
there was my idea too.

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Golf

I will tag this as Sports in the score table.

> The palindrome says it all: "Golf? No sir, prefer prison flog."

> In a noble effort, the Scottish parliament in 1457 passed a law
> banning golf, which read in part, "golff be utterly cryit doune
> and not usit." Alas, no one paid attention.

> 1. Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania, which had been the site for
> both the US Open and the US Amateur championships, """still
> uses""" what most early golf courses used to mark the holes on
> one of its courses. Instead of marking the pins with flags,
> what """does""" it have?

Wicker baskets. (Still true.)

See: http://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2013/06/tiger2.jpg

> 2. The US Open and the US Amateur championships began in the same
> year at Newport Golf Club in Newport, RI. Within 10 years, when?

1895 (accepting 1885-1905). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 3. In 1997 the Canadian Open was played at the oldest golf course
> in North America. Name the course or the city.

Mt. Royal, Montreal.

> 4. At which course """is""" the Canadian Open usually played?

1998 answer: Glen Abbey (in Oakville, ON). There is no 2021 answer
since the tournament now circulates between different sites.

> 5. The Firestone Golf & Country Club was a gift from the president
> of Firestone to his employees. What US state """is""" the
> course in?

Ohio. (Akron. Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 6. The Masters """is""" played in which US state?

Georgia. (Augusta. Still true.) 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. The world's most esteemed golf club is the Royal and Ancient.
> Which Scottish town """is""" it in?

St. Andrews. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 8. What """is""" the name of the oldest of the golf courses (as
> opposed to clubs) to be found at <answer 7>?

The Old Course. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. Why are there 18 holes in a round of golf?

That's how many the Old Course has. Others copied it.

> 10. The oldest golf course in the US """is""", not by coincidence,
> also named <answer 7>. What *state* """is""" the club in?

New York. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> Your categories for this round are:

> Statute of Westminster
> State of What
> Athletics of When
> Clerics of Where
> Frolics of Who

> * A. Statute of Westminster

Yes, we did reuse both of these questions in Game 9 of the season we
set in 2007, so you saw them in the newsgroup in October.

> A1. Canada became a federal union on July 1, 1867, but it did
> not become independent from British laws or British wars;
> for example, Canada entered World War I implicitly when
> Britain did. After the war Canada did become independent
> for most practical purposes, which was formally recognized
> by Britain when they passed the Statute of Westminster --
> on December 11 of what year?

1931. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> A2. Besides Canada, the Statute of Westminster similarly
> recognized the independence from British law of five other
> Dominions, as they were collectively called. Name *any two*
> of the five others (giving their names then or now).

Australia, Irish Free State (Ireland), Newfoundland (& Labrador),
New Zealand, (Union of) South Africa. 4 for everyone.

> * B. State of What

> *Note* for these two questions the answers that were correct
> in 1998 are required.

> B1. The US state of Rhode Island is normally referred to in
> just that way, often even in government documents. But when
> the official name is required, a longer and historically
> more accurate form """is""" used. Officially, it """is"""
> the State of Rhode Island *and what*?

Providence Plantations. (Anything with "Providence" was sufficient.)
4 for everyone.

More recently it was decided that "plantation" is a dirty word,
and in November 2020 the commonly used version of the name became
the official one.

> B2. There """are""" 4 states in the US in which official
> usage """has""" the common name of the state preceded by
> "Commonwealth of" rather than the usual "State of".
> For example, Kansas """is""" not one of them, but if it was,
> one would speak of the Commonwealth of Kansas. All four
> of these states were admitted to the US before 1830.
> Name any *two*.

Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia. (Still true.)
4 for everyone.

> * C. Athletics of When

> C1. The two conferences of the CFL (as we knew it before the
> 1990s) were formed from two separate leagues called the
> IRFU and the WIFU. Within 5 years, when """was the last
> time""" that a team *not from any of these three leagues*
> participated in the Grey Cup playoffs? Or, name the team
> (city or team name).

1954 (accepting 1949-59); Kitchener-Waterloo Dutchmen (accepting
"Kitchener" or "K-W"), of the ORFU. (Still true.)

In those days amateur teams could still play against the professional
IRFU and WIFU teams, and K-W was one of those. They lost 28-6 to
Edmonton, who went on to beat Montreal for the Cup.

The last Grey Cup *win* by a team not from the IRFU, WIFU, or CFL,
and the last by an amateur team, was in 1944, when both professional
leagues had suspended play due to the war, and the HMCS St. Hyacinthe
- Donnacona Navy Combines team beat the Hamilton Flying Wildcats 7-6.

> C2. The Stanley Cup, similarly, did not always belong exclusively
> to the NHL. Within 5 years, when """was the last year"""
> it was *won* by a non-NHL team? Or, again, name the team
> (city or team name).

1925 (accepting 1920-30); Victoria Cougars, of the WHL. (Still true.)
2 for Joshua.

Before this, NHL teams had won the Cup every year since the formation
of the league in 1917, except the pandemic year of 1919 when there
was no winner. In 1926 an NHL team won again, the WHL disbanded,
and the NHL was granted exclusive control of the Cup.

> * D. Clerics of Where

> D1. By what title """is""" George Leonard Carey better known?

1998 answer: Archbishop of Canterbury. 2021 answer: Baron Carey
(of Clifton). (He's still alive, and was made a life peer on his
retirement in 2002.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> D2. By what soubriquet was Menachem Schneerson better known?

The Lubavitcher Rebbe (Rabbi). 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Frolics of Who

> This pair is about randy Democratic candidates.

> E1. When Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary
> in 1992, who claimed to have been his long-term mistress
> and begged him only to acknowledge her?

Gennifer Flowers. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> E2. What would-be Democratic presidential candidate was
> photographed with his girlfriend on a yacht after daring
> the media to dig up dirt on his love life?

Gary Hart. 4 for everyone.

The yacht was named the "Monkey Business".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Lit Sci Mis Can Lit Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 36 36 8 14 20 30 174
Dan Blum 12 31 40 20 12 8 20 20 143
Dan Tilque 8 4 40 16 20 4 8 20 112
Pete Gayde 20 4 -- -- 6 4 18 20 72
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 36 12 0 4 4 16 72

--
Mark Brader / This country is planted thick with laws from coast to
Toronto / coast. Man's laws, not God's. And if you cut them down

Click here to read the complete article