If you want to know how old a man is, ask his brother-in-law.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsDan Tilque
|`- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsMiami Mia
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scriptsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3 answers: plate tectonics, scriptsMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<ZMidnYkxt40UvQP9nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2948&group=rec.games.trivia#2948

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 02:02:33 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 14 May 2021 07:02 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt):

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. What proposed British constitutional change did the Queen
endorse this week?

2. What did the TTC suggest was the cause of a drop in transit
ridership during the first six weeks of 1998?

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics

1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
the "Ring of Fire"?

2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?

3. Sometimes small volcanic regions (a few hundred kilometers
across) are found in the middle of a plate instead of at the edge
of one -- two examples of such regions are the Hawaiian Islands
and Yellowstone National Park. What are such regions called?

4. What plate """does""" Toronto sit on?

5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
existed -- what did he call it?

6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
"""is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
What """is""" that name?

9. When two plates collide and one slides under the edge of the
other, this is called what?

10. Canada drifts farther each year from England, the mother
country, because of what mid-ocean process related to the motion
of plates?

* Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts

In all cases, give the name of the script.

1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg

This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
not all of them related.

2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg

This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
Ireland.

3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg

This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
Its name matched the language it was used for.

4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg

This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
Northern Europe.

5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg

This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
"""recently""" deciphered by about six people working
cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
on the wrong track.

6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg

This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
name of the language, which is...?

7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg

Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
people and their language.

8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg

This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

9. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/I.jpg

This script was found by archaeologists at a site called
Mohenjo-daro, now in Pakistan. It has not yet been deciphered.
It currently goes by what name?

10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg

The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

--
Mark Brader "C was developed for the programmer
Toronto (two of them, in fact)"

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<XnsAD2A68F1EA292Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2949&group=rec.games.trivia#2949

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 10:18:59 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 14 May 2021 08:18 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics
>
> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific
> 2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?

Surtsey
> 4. What plate """does""" Toronto sit on?

North American
> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Pangea
> 6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

Rift valleys
> 7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
> examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

Victoria Lake
> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Nazca
> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts
>
> In all cases, give the name of the script.
>
> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg
>
> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

Cuneiform
> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg

Coptic
> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg
>
> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.

Runes
> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg
>
> This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
> """recently""" deciphered by about six people working
> cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
> on the wrong track.

Mayan
> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg
>
> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan
> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg
>
> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenecian
> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg
>
> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

Linear B
> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg
>
> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

Linear B

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<XnsAD2A55434BA4Bgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=rec.games.trivia#2950

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 13:22:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 14 May 2021 13:22 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ZMidnYkxt40UvQP9nZ2dnUU7-
YnNnZ2d@giganews.com:
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics
>
> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific Ocean
> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Pangaea
> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Nazca
> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts
>
> In all cases, give the name of the script.
>
> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg
>
> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

Sumerian

> 2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg
>
> This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
> Ireland.

Ogham

> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg
>
> This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
> the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
> Its name matched the language it was used for.

Coptic

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg
>
> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.

Futhark

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg
>
> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan
> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg
>
> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenician

> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg
>
> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

Linear B
> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg
>
> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

Egyptian demotic

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<s7o0fn$9n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2951&group=rec.games.trivia#2951

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 01:24:22 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 15 May 2021 08:24 UTC

On 5/14/21 12:02 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt):
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What proposed British constitutional change did the Queen
> endorse this week?
>
> 2. What did the TTC suggest was the cause of a drop in transit
> ridership during the first six weeks of 1998?
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics
>
> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific

> 2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?

Surtsey

> 3. Sometimes small volcanic regions (a few hundred kilometers
> across) are found in the middle of a plate instead of at the edge
> of one -- two examples of such regions are the Hawaiian Islands
> and Yellowstone National Park. What are such regions called?

hot spots

> 4. What plate """does""" Toronto sit on?

North American

> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Pangaia

> 6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

rift zones

> 7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
> examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

Lake Victoria

> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Nasca

> 9. When two plates collide and one slides under the edge of the
> other, this is called what?

subduction

> 10. Canada drifts farther each year from England, the mother
> country, because of what mid-ocean process related to the motion
> of plates?

seafloor spreading

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts
>
> In all cases, give the name of the script.
>
> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg
>
> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

cuneiform

> 2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg
>
> This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
> Ireland.

Ogham

> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg
>
> This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
> the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
> Its name matched the language it was used for.

Coptic

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg
>
> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.

futhark

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg
>
> This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
> """recently""" deciphered by about six people working
> cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
> on the wrong track.

Mayan

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg
>
> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan

> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg
>
> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenician

> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg
>
> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

Linear B

> 9. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/I.jpg
>
> This script was found by archaeologists at a site called
> Mohenjo-daro, now in Pakistan. It has not yet been deciphered.
> It currently goes by what name?

Indus

> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg
>
> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

Demotic

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<5d4b6b30-7874-4a6b-b6ea-e7f383ad6a2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2952&group=rec.games.trivia#2952

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 02:20:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: mmia21...@gmail.com (Miami Mia)
 by: Miami Mia - Sat, 15 May 2021 09:20 UTC

Hello, I am an individual who offers international loans. Having a capital which will be used to grant loans between individuals in the short and long term ranging from 10,000 to 50,000,000 dollars to all serious people with a real need, the interest rate is 2% per annum. sum lent because being private I do not want to violate the law on usury. You can repay over 3 to 35 years. I grant financial loans, real estate loan, investment loan, auto loan, personal loan. I am available to respond to my clients within a maximum of 03 days following receipt of your request form.
PS: Very serious messages so No serious person to abstain
Email: mrmme6106@gmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<s7omgg$sea$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2953&group=rec.games.trivia#2953

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 14:40:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 15 May 2021 14:40 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics

> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific

> 2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?

Surtsey

> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Pangaea

> 6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

rift valley

> 7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
> examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

Lake Victoria

> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Incan Plate

> 9. When two plates collide and one slides under the edge of the
> other, this is called what?

subduction

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts

> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg

> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

cuneiform

> 2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg

> This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
> Ireland.

ogham

> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg

> This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
> the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
> Its name matched the language it was used for.

Coptic

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg

> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.

runic

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg

> This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
> """recently""" deciphered by about six people working
> cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
> on the wrong track.

Mayan

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg

> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan

> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg

> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenecian

> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg

> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

Linear B

> 9. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/I.jpg

> This script was found by archaeologists at a site called
> Mohenjo-daro, now in Pakistan. It has not yet been deciphered.
> It currently goes by what name?

Indus

> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg

> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

demotic

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: plate tectonics, scripts

<s7pemq$jq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2954&group=rec.games.trivia#2954

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 16:33:16 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt):
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What proposed British constitutional change did the Queen
> endorse this week?
>
> 2. What did the TTC suggest was the cause of a drop in transit
> ridership during the first six weeks of 1998?
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics
>
> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific

> 2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?
>
> 3. Sometimes small volcanic regions (a few hundred kilometers
> across) are found in the middle of a plate instead of at the edge
> of one -- two examples of such regions are the Hawaiian Islands
> and Yellowstone National Park. What are such regions called?
>
> 4. What plate """does""" Toronto sit on?

North American

> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Gondwanaland

> 6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

Rift valley

> 7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
> examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

Lake Victoria; Lake Tanganyika

> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Incan plate

> 9. When two plates collide and one slides under the edge of the
> other, this is called what?

Upheaval

> 10. Canada drifts farther each year from England, the mother
> country, because of what mid-ocean process related to the motion
> of plates?
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts
>
> In all cases, give the name of the script.
>
> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg
>
> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

Sanskrit

> 2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg
>
> This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
> Ireland.
>
> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg
>
> This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
> the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
> Its name matched the language it was used for.

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg
>
> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.
>
> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg
>
> This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
> """recently""" deciphered by about six people working
> cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
> on the wrong track.
>
> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg
>
> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan

> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg
>
> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenician

> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg
>
> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?
>
> 9. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/I.jpg
>
> This script was found by archaeologists at a site called
> Mohenjo-daro, now in Pakistan. It has not yet been deciphered.
> It currently goes by what name?
>
> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg
>
> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

Aramaic

Pete Gayde

RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3 answers: plate tectonics, scripts

<h7qdnV1Gpbj0Yjz9nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=rec.games.trivia#2955

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 2-3 answers: plate tectonics, scripts
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:30:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 17 May 2021 05:30 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt):

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

Again nobody tried these.

> 1. What proposed British constitutional change did the Queen
> endorse this week?

Gender equality in the royal succession.

That is, after the change the oldest living child of the relevant
person would inherit the throne; in the system then existing, it
was the oldest living son if there were any and the oldest living
daughter otherwise. With the agreement of the 16 relevant countries
-- the "Commonwealth realms" -- the change was finally made in 2011,
applicable only to heirs born afterwards.

Thus, among the Queen's children, Princess Anne still comes behind
her younger brothers Prince Andrew and Prince Edward; but among
Prince William's children, Princess Charlotte, born in 2015, comes
before her younger brother Prince Louis.

> 2. What did the TTC suggest was the cause of a drop in transit
> ridership during the first six weeks of 1998?

The flu. No, there wasn't a major outbreak at the time.

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Plate Tectonics

> 1. What ocean is surrounded by an area of igneous activity called
> the "Ring of Fire"?

Pacific. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 2. What volcanic island rose above the sea off Iceland in 1963?

Surtsey. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 3. Sometimes small volcanic regions (a few hundred kilometers
> across) are found in the middle of a plate instead of at the edge
> of one -- two examples of such regions are the Hawaiian Islands
> and Yellowstone National Park. What are such regions called?

Hot spots. 4 for Dan Tilque.

In 2009, three entrants surprised me by going way off base in the
same direction as each other: they said caldera, which actually is
a crater-like volcanic formation caused by subsidence rather then
outflow -- Crater Lake is an example.

> 4. What plate """does""" Toronto sit on?

North American. (Still true.) 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Alfred Wegener proposed the hypothesis of continental drift
> in 1912. He suggested then that a supercontinent had once
> existed -- what did he call it?

Pangaea. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 6. When a plate begins to split apart, what feature appears?

A rift valley. I accepted "rift zone". 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. A major African lake and a major Asian lake are both found in
> examples of an <answer 6> -- name either one.

Lake Tanganyika, Lake Baikal. 2 for Pete.

In 2009 I did not accept the Dead Sea; it is indeed in a rift valley,
but hardly qualified as major even before human intervention caused
it to start shrinking. Lake Baikal now has about 50 times the area
of what's left of the Dead Sea, and over 200 times the volume.

> 8. A plate that lies mostly under the Pacific Ocean off Peru
> """is""" named for a well-known early culture of South America.
> What """is""" that name?

Nazca. (Still true.) 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. When two plates collide and one slides under the edge of the
> other, this is called what?

Subduction. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 10. Canada drifts farther each year from England, the mother
> country, because of what mid-ocean process related to the motion
> of plates?

Sea-floor spreading. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - Ancient and Other Scripts

> In all cases, give the name of the script.

> 1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/A.jpg

> This script was used in various forms to write many languages,
> not all of them related.

Cuneiform. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/B.jpg

> This one is found on the edges of stones scattered across
> Ireland.

Ogham. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/C.jpg

> This adaptation of the Greek alphabet was used in Egypt from
> the 4th to the 9th century and is still seen today (rarely).
> Its name matched the language it was used for.

Coptic. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 4. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/D.jpg

> This variation on the Roman alphabet was widely used across
> Northern Europe.

Runic (runes) or Futhark. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 5. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/E.jpg

> This script, found only in the Western Hemisphere, was
> """recently""" deciphered by about six people working
> cooperatively, after scholars in the field spent decades
> on the wrong track.

Maya(n). 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 6. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/F.jpg

> This script records a language last spoken in Northern and
> Central Italy about 2,000 years ago; the Emperor Claudius could
> reputedly speak and read it. We can assign sound values to
> some of the letters, but little meaning can be drawn from the
> surviving inscriptions. Again, the script is called by the
> name of the language, which is...?

Etruscan. 4 for everyone.

> 7. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/G.jpg

> Used by a famous seafaring people of the Mediterranean, this
> is the ancestor of many modern scripts. It is named for the
> people and their language.

Phoenician. 4 for everyone.

> 8. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/H.jpg

> This script was deciphered in about 1954 by Michael Ventris.
> The language is actually Greek, even though he initially
> conjectured that it was <answer 6> -- what do we call the script?

Linear B. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 9. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/I.jpg

> This script was found by archaeologists at a site called
> Mohenjo-daro, now in Pakistan. It has not yet been deciphered.
> It currently goes by what name?

Indus Valley or Harappa script. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 10. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/3/K.jpg

> The Rosetta Stone records the same inscription in two languages,
> using three scripts. The bottom portion of the stone is in
> Greek, the top portion is in Egyptian hieroglyphics, and here
> is most of the middle section -- written in what script?

Demotic, another way to write Egyptian. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

The stone is in the British Museum in London. I took photo K myself.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci His
Dan Tilque 36 40 76
Dan Blum 20 40 60
Erland Sommarskog 24 28 52
Joshua Kreitzer 12 28 40
Pete Gayde 14 8 22

--
Mark Brader | scanf() is even more complicated and usually does
Toronto | something almost but not completely unlike what