Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.misc
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
<caa806d6-4065-481b-a4ac-c2088db32763n@googlegroups.com> <c5a536f3-90ab-4c48-b148-2f370bae07b6n@googlegroups.com>
<29f2858f-5c86-4d77-821e-88010499771bn@googlegroups.com> <5l6b4ghdj9dkku4mrdfqah05lrg2mrsamn@4ax.com>
<37d953b3-3147-478a-91e6-5245f4fd1667n@googlegroups.com> <lbkb4gd85mdg265ed6mu6dthskhk4f2ehs@4ax.com>
<c7eeae90-ec61-4a40-818c-17e36803c8dbn@googlegroups.com> <8o2e4gpmfn671l6pj2670sdva2akuklg3v@4ax.com>
<61282ae0-68f9-4ab8-990e-6b98d28fad3bn@googlegroups.com> <893f034f-f064-421a-b412-dacec40ad905n@googlegroups.com>
<pyr7I.93922$mK3.84050@fx43.iad> <ac461eb0-cd33-4543-b139-0a37bc229ae1n@googlegroups.com>
<a1342690-93c5-459f-aa18-e86436aebd63n@googlegroups.com> <id3tcbFroo8U1@mid.individual.net>
<fe3908b9-d009-439a-b766-585225b863d3n@googlegroups.com> <id6prrF6cb5U1@mid.individual.net>
<d3ceb0fb-aa08-41d5-a9bd-de16386100c8n@googlegroups.com> <7c285ae9-844d-44e1-9ef4-8764b210e34dn@googlegroups.com>
<c9159f3b-49a6-4160-adce-18cac57c2ba0n@googlegroups.com> <bd7a6bad-23b7-4933-be61-11e3814d7839n@googlegroups.com>
<0c341e44-0554-48d1-9f94-0f79321b2556n@googlegroups.com> <ac95a62f-3f42-4a80-9409-38e508b389ccn@googlegroups.com>
<6dbb2576-2b0a-404b-979b-5f91613e9d51n@googlegroups.com> <d7b27de7-7ced-482d-8224-9c6d89e22f35n@googlegroups.com>
<b26c24c2-0ba0-48d4-a28d-8ecd29c9194en@googlegroups.com> <8bba7462-3458-4974-9279-f96b4cae1c36n@googlegroups.com>
<e6defe3d-70ca-4bd0-b761-948cece72b6fn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Opening traps are killers
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:22 UTC

On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 7:32:36 PM UTC-4, Eli Kesef wrote:
> Bs"d
>
> So I slaughtered hundreds of people with the Englund gambit. It is just that lately it seems that nobody is falling for it. And the Englund is one trap that if the enemy doesn't fall for it, you end up with a rotten position.
> So I thought, let's switch to the Budapest gambit for a while, and see what happens. It has a handful of traps in it, and you don't end up with a rotten position if the enemy doesn't fall for it. Like the Englund, you can only play it if the enemy starts out with d4, and cooperates to get the Budapest on the board.
> So I gave it a try. And lo and behold, the first try was a great success. No mate within 10 moves, but the opponent had to give up his queen for a horse and a bishop. On move 8. https://lichess.org/M7g5N4zgxk3e

A fun little trap.

Have you considered the Albin counter gambit? It's very, very tricky. I don't know if today it is regarded as absolutely satisfactory, but it was played by the likes of Lasker, so it can't be too bad. It may not be quite as sound as the Budapest, but is, I think, a bit trappier. And far sounder than the Englund.

I can say from experience that even a 2000 player facing someone booked up in it has his work cut out for him.

On the white side, have you considered the Blackmar-Diemer? It's not considered to be utterly sound but it has its devotees and there is quite a bit of literature on it. I had a strong friend, who, as black, always transposed to the QGD so as to deny anyone the chance to play the BD against him.

William Hyde