Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 00:41:59 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 20 May 2021 05:41 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to light the lights
It's time to get things started
With Muppet trivia tonight...

1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
"""latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
"In & Out". Name him.

3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
a Goblin... Name the movie.

4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
break their rule... Name the movie.

5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
<answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
creatures... Give the title.

6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?

Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.

7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
pictured here. Name him.

8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
chickens.

10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
really!)

* Game 6, Round 8 - Geography - You Should Have Brought a Compass

You will observe on the two handout pages that there is no
indication of which is the top of the page. That's exactly the
point: for each map that we name, you must tell us *which of the
8 lettered arrows on the page points north*. Please note that
the arrows in the corners of the page are each pointing at a 45°
angle to the long or short sides of the paper and *not* along its
diagonal, so you must rotate the paper by the appropriate multiple
of 45°.

Note also that the same letters are used, separately, to identify
the different maps on each page.

Unless we specifically mention otherwise, each map shows an
independent country. They are, of course, at many different
scales. On each map, the black square indicates the capital city.
The outline shapes and the capitals have not changed since 1998.

To reiterate, for each map you only have to tell us *which one of
the 8 arrows points north*, no matter whether it's near that map
or elsewhere on the page near some other map. You don't have to
name the country or its capital (give the information for fun if
you like, but it will not affect your score).

For example, say we asked for the country nearest letter C on
the first handout, which happens to be Argentina (with the square
marking Buenos Aires). You know the pointy end of Argentina is in
the south and that the border with Chile, in the west, is pretty
very close to north-south; therefore you'd find that the B arrow
points north, and your answer would simply be B.

*Answers may repeat*, so you have 8 possible answers (A-H or S-Z)
on every question.

For your convenience, in case you don't have an easy way to do
45° rotations, I have provided each handout in all 8 possible
orientations. I think it's easier to try the different orientations
by starting with a piece of paper, as per the original game,
since you then only have to pick out the indicated image on the
paper once. If you're going to do it that way, then I suggest
printing the *second* one in each set, i.e. files B.png and T.png.

For your additional convenience, the capital letter in each URL
corresponds to the "north" letter in that orientation. For example,
Argentina appears "right side up" (north at the top) when B is at
the top, so you'll see it that way up on image B.png.

Here is the handout for questions #1-4:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/A.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/B.png <- best to print
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/C.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/D.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/E.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/F.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/G.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/H.png

1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
This country is adjacent to India.

3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
"""10 years ago""".

Now, here is the handout for the questions #5-10:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/S.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/T.png <- best to print
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/U.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/V.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/W.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/X.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Y.png
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Z.png

5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
to India.

6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
this country.

7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
language in this country.

8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
of this map should tell you what country this is.

9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
is adjacent to China.

10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
than the others. That's because I got it from a different
source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
msb@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

<XnsAD30DF08262Fgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=rec.games.trivia#2964

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 06:22:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 20 May 2021 06:22 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JrmdnVg1OKk6azj9nZ2dnUU7-
XnNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets
>
> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Jim Henson

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz
> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.

"Labyrinth"

> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

"The Dark Crystal"

> 5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
> <answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
> have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
> creatures... Give the title.

"Fraggle Rock"
> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?

"Dinosaurs"

> Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
> the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
> the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.
>
> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.

Dr. Teeth
> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Statler and Waldorf

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo
> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal
> * Game 6, Round 8 - Geography - You Should Have Brought a Compass
>
> You will observe on the two handout pages that there is no
> indication of which is the top of the page. That's exactly the
> point: for each map that we name, you must tell us *which of the
> 8 lettered arrows on the page points north*. Please note that
> the arrows in the corners of the page are each pointing at a 45�
> angle to the long or short sides of the paper and *not* along its
> diagonal, so you must rotate the paper by the appropriate multiple
> of 45�.
>
> Here is the handout for questions #1-4:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/B.png <- best to print
>
> 1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
> map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
> what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

> 2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
> This country is adjacent to India.

> 3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
> is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

> 4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
> """10 years ago""".

> Now, here is the handout for the questions #5-10:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/T.png <- best to print
>
> 5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
> to India.

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

> 11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
> handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
> the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

near A: Ukraine (D)
near G: Bangladesh (C)
near U: Turkey (V)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

<s85453$9oj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2965&group=rec.games.trivia#2965

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 00:46:41 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 20 May 2021 07:46 UTC

On 5/19/21 10:41 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets
>
> It's time to put on makeup
> It's time to light the lights
> It's time to get things started
> With Muppet trivia tonight...
>
> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Hensen

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz

> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.

Dark Crystal

> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

Dark Crystal

> 5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
> <answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
> have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
> creatures... Give the title.
>
> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?

dinosaurs

> Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
> the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
> the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.
>
> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.
>
> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Waldorf and Stadler

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo

> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal

> [...]

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

> 11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
> handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
> the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

Ukraine D
Bangladesh C
Turkey V

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

<XnsAD30D83B2EC04Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2966&group=rec.games.trivia#2966

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 21:15:22 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 20 May 2021 19:15 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets

Nope.
> * Game 6, Round 8 - Geography - You Should Have Brought a Compass
>
> 1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
> map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
> what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

> 2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
> This country is adjacent to India.

> 3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
> is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

> 4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
> """10 years ago""".

> 5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
> to India.

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

> 11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
> handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
> the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

Ukraine = D

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

<s86tit$p5g$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=rec.games.trivia#2967

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 00:06:53 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 21 May 2021 00:06 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets

> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Jim Henson

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz

> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.

Labyrinth

> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

The Dark Crystal

> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?

Dinosaurs

> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.

Dr. teeth

> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Statler and Waldorf

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo

> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Geography - You Should Have Brought a Compass

> Here is the handout for questions #1-4:

> 1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
> map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
> what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

> 2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
> This country is adjacent to India.

> 3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
> is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

> 4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
> """10 years ago""".

> Now, here is the handout for the questions #5-10:

> 5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
> to India.

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8: Muppets and disoriented maps

<s874jl$cgc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=rec.games.trivia#2968

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 21:06:49 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 21 May 2021 02:06 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets
>
> It's time to put on makeup
> It's time to light the lights
> It's time to get things started
> With Muppet trivia tonight...
>
> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Jim Henson

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz

> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.
>
> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

Pigs in Space

> 5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
> <answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
> have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
> creatures... Give the title.
>
> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?
>
> Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
> the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
> the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.
>
> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.
>
> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Statler and Waldorf

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo

> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal

> [...]

> """10 years ago""".

> Now, here is the handout for the questions #5-10:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/S.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/T.png <- best to print
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/U.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/V.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/W.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/X.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Y.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/Z.png
>
> 5. The country nearest letter W. This country, too, is adjacent
> to India.

> 6. The country nearest letter X. The equator passes through
> this country.

> 7. The country nearest letter Y. English is the most common native
> language in this country.

> 8. The country nearest letter T. The dotted lines near the center
> of this map should tell you what country this is.

V; U

> 9. The rather similar-shaped country near letter S. This country
> is adjacent to China.

> 10. The other map near letter T, where the outline is a bit heavier
> than the others. That's because I got it from a different
> source, which I had to do because it's not a country like the
> others, but a *state of the USA*. But which way is north?

> 11. That leaves three decoys, which are near A, G, and U on the
> handouts. If you like, for fun but no extra points, identify
> the three countries and in each case tell which way is north.

Click here to read the complete article
RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8 answers: Muppets and disoriented maps

<7cCdnVQ4meajNDf9nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2969&group=rec.games.trivia#2969

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 7-8 answers: Muppets and disoriented maps
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 14:13:02 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 23 May 2021 19:13 UTC

Mark Brader:

In 2009 I wrote:
| The geography round was mine. I created the handouts by checking
| a book of clip-art (freely reusable) maps out of the library;
| spending an hour or two at Kinko's doing photocopying, cutting,
| and taping; and finally adding the *'s with a typewriter. These
| days, of course, I'd've used maps from the CIA World Factbook and
| manipulated them online.

Since I had to recreate the handouts this time, I used the online
method. Only I ended up using d-maps.com (with one exception) and
not the CIAWF, which, as I should have remembered, does not provide
*blank* outline maps. Compare:

http://d-maps.com/m/europa/italia/italie/italie30.gif
https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/static/69f8dd151fe263b7dd1133228eed0d2c/IT-map.jpg

In fact it took *more* time to put it together this way than on paper,
but it was still fun, and I hope you enjoyed solving it too!

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Entertainment - The Muppets

> It's time to put on makeup
> It's time to light the lights
> It's time to get things started
> With Muppet trivia tonight...

> 1. He was the originator of the Muppets and a tireless
> performer, producer, and director from the late 1950s onward.
> The """current""" Muppet/animatronics production companies
> bear his name. He died of pneumonia in 1990. Name him.

Jim Henson. (Some Muppets now belong to the Disney company.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. <answer 1>'s key performing partner was the man who gives
> life to characters as diverse as Bert, Grover, and Miss Piggy.
> He """is""" also a prominent Hollywood director, whose
> """latest""" films include "The Indian in the Cupboard" and
> "In & Out". Name him.

Frank Oz. (Still alive and still working; his latest work as a
director is now the 2020 documentary "In & Of Itself".) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. This 1986 film, directed by <answer 1>, starred David Bowie
> as the Goblin King, and a large supporting cast of Muppets.
> Sarah's younger brother has been stolen by the Goblin King,
> and she must rescue him before midnight, or he will become
> a Goblin... Name the movie.

"Labyrinth". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. This 1982 movie, directed by <answers 1 and 2>, had no human
> actors. It takes place on another planet, in another time.
> The time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near,
> on a world under the control of the evil Skekses ["SKEK-seez"].
> Jen, the last of the Gelfings, starts his dangerous quest to
> break their rule... Name the movie.

"The Dark Crystal". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 5. This TV series (1983-88) was a co-production of the CBC,
> <answer 1> Associates, and HBO. Doc and his dog Sprocket
> have a hole in their wall, behind which live little furry
> creatures... Give the title.

"Fraggle Rock". 4 for Joshua.

> 6. This TV situation comedy (1991-94) revolved around the Sinclairs,
> a lovable prehistoric working-class family of creatures faced
> with modern worries. What creatures, as named in the title?

"Dinosaurs". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> Now please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/7/mup.jpg for
> the remaining questions. The question numbers are indicated on
> the handout: in each case, name the character(s) described.

> 7. The Electric Mayhem is a rock band, whose members include Floyd
> Pepper (Guitar), Zoot (Sax), Janice (Vocals), and the bandleader
> pictured here. Name him.

Dr. Teeth. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. Who are the two old guys in the balcony in "The Muppet Show"?
> Hint: they are named after old New York hotels.

Statler and Waldorf. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. No one is sure what species of animal this Muppet is -- he's
> known as a "whatever". He has an -- um -- *fondness* for
> chickens.

Gonzo. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. The drummer for the Electric Mayhem, he was the mascot for
> the US snowboarding team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. (No,
> really!)

Animal. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> [...]

> For your additional convenience, the capital letter in each URL
> corresponds to the "north" letter in that orientation. For example,
> Argentina appears "right side up" (north at the top) when B is at
> the top, so you'll see it that way up on image B.png.

> Here is the handout for questions #1-4:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/A.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/B.png <- best to print
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/C.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/D.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/E.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/F.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/G.png
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo6/8/H.png

> 1. The country reaching out to almost touch letter B, near the
> map of Argentina. This is an island country. I say again,
> what we need is the letter that corresponds to north on that map.

A. (New Zealand, capital Wellington.) 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. The other country near letter B, next to the last one.
> This country is adjacent to India.

C. (China, capital Beijing.) 4 for everyone.

> 3. The country nearest letter E. Only the main part of the country
> is shown here; this includes some coastline on the Mediterranean.

E. (France, capital Paris.) 4 for everyone.

As well as Corsica, which would be just far enough from the main or
"metropolitan" part of the country to bump into the next map, France
includes a number of exclaves at greater distance.

> 4. The country nearest letter F. This country did not exist
> """10 years ago""".

C. (Croatia, capital Zagreb.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

So not only is the country shaped like its first letter, so is
the answer! This actually happened accidentally, as I changed
the letter assignments when reconstructing the handouts.

Click here to read the complete article