24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundDan Blum
|`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
| `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundDan Blum
|  `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundMark Brader
|   `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
|    `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge roundDan Tilque
`- RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10 answers: young CanLit, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<0L-dneHGItooNDf9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2970&group=rec.games.trivia#2970

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!fdc3.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 14:15:01 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 23 May 2021 19:15 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote several questions in one of these rounds.

** Game 6, Round 9 - Canadiana Literature - Authors: The Young(er) Ones

This round gives a brief description of these Canadian writers.
In each case, name the writer.

1. This author burst onto the literary scene in 1989 with "Runaway:
Diary of a Street Kid", a gritty account of her time working
as a prostitute in Vancouver. She was born in 1971.

2. This author was born in 1961 at a Canadian military base
in Germany. He """has written""" several well-known novels, and
popularized the term "Generation X." """His latest novel is"""
"Girlfriend in a Coma".

3. This Toronto-based playwright, who was born in 1962 in Montreal,
won the Governor-General's Award for "Three in the Back, Two
in the Head." """His latest""" play, "Patience", """is opening
in Toronto this week""".

4. This Toronto playwright """is""" best known for his 1995 play
"Riot", which focused on the reaction of blacks in Toronto to
the L.A. riots. """His latest play is""" "Oui".

5. Born in 1960 in Toronto, this writer """is""" a publishing
pioneer of sorts: his sophomore book "Delirium" (following
1992's well-reviewed "Amnesia") was one of the first novels
from a major publisher to be serialized on the Internet as it
was being written. It was published on paper in 1997.

6. This Toronto-based writer gained a great deal of notoriety for
"""her latest""" book, "Paul's Case", which takes as its subject
the Bernardo/Homolka killings.

7. This prolific writer, born in Ottawa in 1960, """describes"""
himself as Canada's only native-born full-time science-fiction
writer. """He's won""" many awards, including the Nebula for
"The Terminal Experiment". """His latest novel is""" "Illegal
Alien" (1997).

8. This playwright """is""" best known for "Unidentified Human
Remains and the True Nature of Love", later made into a movie
by Denys Arcand. """His latest play is""" "Martin Yesterday"
(1997).

9. This playwright was born in Northern Manitoba. Cree was his
first language; English came later. He """is""" best known for
"Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing" (1986).

10. Born in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, in 1951, he won the Governor-
General's Award for his novel "Man Descending" in 1982.
His novel "The Englishman's Boy" won the G-G Award again in
1996 and was shortlisted for the Giller.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. The British Monarchy

A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?

A2. What Queen of England never set foot in England?

* B. Movie Directors

B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
(1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?

B2. Who directed "Stranger than Paradise" (1984), "Down by Law"
(1986), and "Mystery Train" (1989)?

* C. The Codes of the Territories

C1. The Yukon and Northwest Territories have been given a
"""new""" telephone area code. They share it with each
other, but not with any provinces. """For the next few
weeks""", their two old area codes """can""" also still
be used; each of these """is""" shared with a different
province. Name any one of the three codes. Just give the
3 digits.

C2. The Yukon and Northwest Territories each """have"""
a different first letter that """is""" used for all their
postal codes. Name both of these letters, *and* you must
say which letter goes with which territory.

* D. Rejected Astronomical Names

D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?

D2. During a competition to name Canada's first artificial
satellite, later known as Alouette 1, Leonard Cohen suggested
it be called what?

* E. Toronto Cooks

E1. What chef """cooks""" in the fancy restaurant above the
Royal Ontario Museum?

E2. What former Toronto chef was """recently""" charged with
selling alcohol without a license in his country restaurant?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I may be ranting, but I'm right!"
msb@vex.net -- Wojeck: Out of the Fire

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<XnsAD3397F21436Dgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2971&group=rec.games.trivia#2971

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 19:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 23 May 2021 19:56 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Canadiana Literature - Authors: The Young(er)
> Ones
>
> This round gives a brief description of these Canadian writers.
> In each case, name the writer.
>
> 2. This author was born in 1961 at a Canadian military base
> in Germany. He """has written""" several well-known novels, and
> popularized the term "Generation X." """His latest novel is"""
> "Girlfriend in a Coma".

Coupland

> 7. This prolific writer, born in Ottawa in 1960, """describes"""
> himself as Canada's only native-born full-time science-fiction
> writer. """He's won""" many awards, including the Nebula for
> "The Terminal Experiment". """His latest novel is""" "Illegal
> Alien" (1997).

Sawyer
> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. The British Monarchy
>
> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?

George III
> * B. Movie Directors
>
> B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
> (1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?

Hawks
> B2. Who directed "Stranger than Paradise" (1984), "Down by Law"
> (1986), and "Mystery Train" (1989)?

Jarmusch
> * D. Rejected Astronomical Names
>
> D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
> called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?

Georgian Star

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<s8f9nd$28p$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2972&group=rec.games.trivia#2972

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 04:23:09 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 24 May 2021 04:23 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Canadiana Literature - Authors: The Young(er) Ones

> 7. This prolific writer, born in Ottawa in 1960, """describes"""
> himself as Canada's only native-born full-time science-fiction
> writer. """He's won""" many awards, including the Nebula for
> "The Terminal Experiment". """His latest novel is""" "Illegal
> Alien" (1997).

Robert J. Sawyer

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. The British Monarchy

> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?

Henry VI; Henry V

> A2. What Queen of England never set foot in England?

Berengaria

> * B. Movie Directors

> B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
> (1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?

Hawks

> * D. Rejected Astronomical Names

> D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
> called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?

George

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<XnsAD34D83DEB8FFYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2973&group=rec.games.trivia#2973

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 21:15:26 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 24 May 2021 19:15 UTC

Dan Blum (tool@panix.com) writes:
>> * A. The British Monarchy
>
>> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
>> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
>> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?
>
> Henry VI; Henry V

I did not answer this question(*), because despite I know the year
the claim was abandoned, I had no clue who was King at the time. But I
know this much that was not any of these guys. (After all, there is a kind
of a clue in the quesstion that they don't qualify.)

(*) And nor did know any of the other, so I didn't enter at all.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<s8hps0$46p$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2974&group=rec.games.trivia#2974

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 03:10:56 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 25 May 2021 03:10 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Dan Blum (tool@panix.com) writes:
> >> * A. The British Monarchy
> >
> >> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> >> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> >> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?
> >
> > Henry VI; Henry V
> >

> I did not answer this question(*), because despite I know the year
> the claim was abandoned, I had no clue who was King at the time. But I
> know this much that was not any of these guys. (After all, there is a kind
> of a clue in the quesstion that they don't qualify.)

I see the clue now, but that's particularly stubborn even for the
English. I naively assumed they would be slightly more sensible.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<s8hrbc$1h3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2975&group=rec.games.trivia#2975

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 22:36:12 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 25 May 2021 03:36 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Remains and the True Nature of Love", later made into a movie
> by Denys Arcand. """His latest play is""" "Martin Yesterday"
> (1997).
>
> 9. This playwright was born in Northern Manitoba. Cree was his
> first language; English came later. He """is""" best known for
> "Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing" (1986).
>
> 10. Born in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, in 1951, he won the Governor-
> General's Award for his novel "Man Descending" in 1982.
> His novel "The Englishman's Boy" won the G-G Award again in
> 1996 and was shortlisted for the Giller.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. The British Monarchy
>
> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?
>
> A2. What Queen of England never set foot in England?

Mary Stuart

> * B. Movie Directors
>
> B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
> (1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?
>
> B2. Who directed "Stranger than Paradise" (1984), "Down by Law"
> (1986), and "Mystery Train" (1989)?
>

> * C. The Codes of the Territories
>
> C1. The Yukon and Northwest Territories have been given a
> """new""" telephone area code. They share it with each
> other, but not with any provinces. """For the next few
> weeks""", their two old area codes """can""" also still
> be used; each of these """is""" shared with a different
> province. Name any one of the three codes. Just give the
> 3 digits.
>
> C2. The Yukon and Northwest Territories each """have"""
> a different first letter that """is""" used for all their
> postal codes. Name both of these letters, *and* you must
> say which letter goes with which territory.
>

> * D. Rejected Astronomical Names
>
> D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
> called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?
>
> D2. During a competition to name Canada's first artificial
> satellite, later known as Alouette 1, Leonard Cohen suggested
> it be called what?

Hallelujah

> * E. Toronto Cooks
>
> E1. What chef """cooks""" in the fancy restaurant above the
> Royal Ontario Museum?
>
> E2. What former Toronto chef was """recently""" charged with
> selling alcohol without a license in his country restaurant?

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<Zf6dnfmPsv-hBzH9nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2976&group=rec.games.trivia#2976

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 01:33:32 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 25 May 2021 06:33 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> > (After all, there is a kind
> > of a clue in the quesstion that they don't qualify.)
Dan Blum:
> I see the clue now, but that's particularly stubborn even for the
> English. I naively assumed they would be slightly more sensible.

No, "British monarch" was not a clue to the date. It would include
monarchs of England or Scotland as well as of the UK.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "... trapped in a twisty little maze
msb@vex.net of backslashes ..." -- Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<s8inhg$rs6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2977&group=rec.games.trivia#2977

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 04:37:19 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 25 May 2021 11:37 UTC

On 5/23/21 12:15 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Canadiana Literature - Authors: The Young(er) Ones
>
> This round gives a brief description of these Canadian writers.
> In each case, name the writer.
>
> 1. This author burst onto the literary scene in 1989 with "Runaway:
> Diary of a Street Kid", a gritty account of her time working
> as a prostitute in Vancouver. She was born in 1971.
>
> 2. This author was born in 1961 at a Canadian military base
> in Germany. He """has written""" several well-known novels, and
> popularized the term "Generation X." """His latest novel is"""
> "Girlfriend in a Coma".
>
> 3. This Toronto-based playwright, who was born in 1962 in Montreal,
> won the Governor-General's Award for "Three in the Back, Two
> in the Head." """His latest""" play, "Patience", """is opening
> in Toronto this week""".
>
> 4. This Toronto playwright """is""" best known for his 1995 play
> "Riot", which focused on the reaction of blacks in Toronto to
> the L.A. riots. """His latest play is""" "Oui".
>
> 5. Born in 1960 in Toronto, this writer """is""" a publishing
> pioneer of sorts: his sophomore book "Delirium" (following
> 1992's well-reviewed "Amnesia") was one of the first novels
> from a major publisher to be serialized on the Internet as it
> was being written. It was published on paper in 1997.
>
> 6. This Toronto-based writer gained a great deal of notoriety for
> """her latest""" book, "Paul's Case", which takes as its subject
> the Bernardo/Homolka killings.
>
> 7. This prolific writer, born in Ottawa in 1960, """describes"""
> himself as Canada's only native-born full-time science-fiction
> writer. """He's won""" many awards, including the Nebula for
> "The Terminal Experiment". """His latest novel is""" "Illegal
> Alien" (1997).

Sawyer

> 8. This playwright """is""" best known for "Unidentified Human
> Remains and the True Nature of Love", later made into a movie
> by Denys Arcand. """His latest play is""" "Martin Yesterday"
> (1997).
>
> 9. This playwright was born in Northern Manitoba. Cree was his
> first language; English came later. He """is""" best known for
> "Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing" (1986).
>
> 10. Born in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, in 1951, he won the Governor-
> General's Award for his novel "Man Descending" in 1982.
> His novel "The Englishman's Boy" won the G-G Award again in
> 1996 and was shortlisted for the Giller.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. The British Monarchy
>
> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?

George III

> A2. What Queen of England never set foot in England?

Matilda

> * B. Movie Directors
>
> B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
> (1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?
>
> B2. Who directed "Stranger than Paradise" (1984), "Down by Law"
> (1986), and "Mystery Train" (1989)?
>

> * C. The Codes of the Territories
>
> C1. The Yukon and Northwest Territories have been given a
> """new""" telephone area code. They share it with each
> other, but not with any provinces. """For the next few
> weeks""", their two old area codes """can""" also still
> be used; each of these """is""" shared with a different
> province. Name any one of the three codes. Just give the
> 3 digits.
>
> C2. The Yukon and Northwest Territories each """have"""
> a different first letter that """is""" used for all their
> postal codes. Name both of these letters, *and* you must
> say which letter goes with which territory.
>

> * D. Rejected Astronomical Names
>
> D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
> called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?

Georgium Sidus

> D2. During a competition to name Canada's first artificial
> satellite, later known as Alouette 1, Leonard Cohen suggested
> it be called what?
>

> * E. Toronto Cooks
>
> E1. What chef """cooks""" in the fancy restaurant above the
> Royal Ontario Museum?
>
> E2. What former Toronto chef was """recently""" charged with
> selling alcohol without a license in his country restaurant?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<XnsAD35CF95854F9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2978&group=rec.games.trivia#2978

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 20:24:22 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> No, "British monarch" was not a clue to the date. It would include
> monarchs of England or Scotland as well as of the UK.

Yeah, that's why I said "kind of".

I don't know for sure, but I think one of the guys that Dan mentioned
was the first to actually be crowned as King of France, although he was
certainly not the first to claim it.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10: young CanLit, challenge round

<s8jsrk$glf$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2979&group=rec.games.trivia#2979

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 22:14:13 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 25 May 2021 22:14 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> > No, "British monarch" was not a clue to the date. It would include
> > monarchs of England or Scotland as well as of the UK.

> Yeah, that's why I said "kind of".

> I don't know for sure, but I think one of the guys that Dan mentioned
> was the first to actually be crowned as King of France, although he was
> certainly not the first to claim it.

Having now looked this up: Henry VI is the only British monarch to
actually be considered King of France by any reasonable person, but
the title continued to be claimed until 1801.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10 answers: young CanLit, challenge round

<a5GdnRptMJ01OTP9nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2980&group=rec.games.trivia#2980

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 6 Rounds 9-10 answers: young CanLit, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 14:42:32 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 26 May 2021 19:42 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and, if there are no errors, JOSHUA KREITZER has won
by just 4 points! Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote several questions in one of these rounds.

In the challenge round I believe I wrote B1 and maybe B2, pair C,
maybe D1, and possibly D2.

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Canadiana Literature - Authors: The Young(er) Ones

> This round gives a brief description of these Canadian writers.
> In each case, name the writer.

See, we said they were "young(er)": all of them are still alive
in 2021.

> 1. This author burst onto the literary scene in 1989 with "Runaway:
> Diary of a Street Kid", a gritty account of her time working
> as a prostitute in Vancouver. She was born in 1971.

Evelyn Lau.

> 2. This author was born in 1961 at a Canadian military base
> in Germany. He """has written""" several well-known novels, and
> popularized the term "Generation X." """His latest novel is"""
> "Girlfriend in a Coma".

Douglas Coupland. (His latest is now "Worst. Person. Ever.")
4 for Joshua.

> 3. This Toronto-based playwright, who was born in 1962 in Montreal,
> won the Governor-General's Award for "Three in the Back, Two
> in the Head." """His latest""" play, "Patience", """is opening
> in Toronto this week""".

Jason Sherman. (His latest is now "Copy That".)

> 4. This Toronto playwright """is""" best known for his 1995 play
> "Riot", which focused on the reaction of blacks in Toronto to
> the L.A. riots. """His latest play is""" "Oui".

Andrew Moodie. (His latest that I could find is "Toronto the Good".)

> 5. Born in 1960 in Toronto, this writer """is""" a publishing
> pioneer of sorts: his sophomore book "Delirium" (following
> 1992's well-reviewed "Amnesia") was one of the first novels
> from a major publisher to be serialized on the Internet as it
> was being written. It was published on paper in 1997.

Douglas Cooper.

> 6. This Toronto-based writer gained a great deal of notoriety for
> """her latest""" book, "Paul's Case", which takes as its subject
> the Bernardo/Homolka killings.

Lynn Crosbie. (Her latest is now "Chicken".)

> 7. This prolific writer, born in Ottawa in 1960, """describes"""
> himself as Canada's only native-born full-time science-fiction
> writer. """He's won""" many awards, including the Nebula for
> "The Terminal Experiment". """His latest novel is""" "Illegal
> Alien" (1997).

Robert Sawyer. (His latest is now "The Oppenheimer Alternative".)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Incidentally, Sawyer was himself a Canadian Inquisition player at
one time before I joined the league. His 1990 novel "Golden Fleece"
includes a scene, set in the year 2177, where a character talks about
playing in the league, mentioning it and its two divisions by name.

> 8. This playwright """is""" best known for "Unidentified Human
> Remains and the True Nature of Love", later made into a movie
> by Denys Arcand. """His latest play is""" "Martin Yesterday"
> (1997).

Brad Fraser. (His latest appears to be "Kill Me Now".)

> 9. This playwright was born in Northern Manitoba. Cree was his
> first language; English came later. He """is""" best known for
> "Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing" (1986).

Tomson Highway.

> 10. Born in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, in 1951, he won the Governor-
> General's Award for his novel "Man Descending" in 1982.
> His novel "The Englishman's Boy" won the G-G Award again in
> 1996 and was shortlisted for the Giller.

Guy Vanderhaeghe.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

This was one of four rounds all tied for being the hardest of the season.

> * A. The British Monarchy

> A1. Who was the last British monarch to be proclaimed King
> of France in the coronation ceremony, and to include the
> fleur-de-lys in the royal coat of arms?

King George III. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> A2. What Queen of England never set foot in England?

Queen Berengaria (of Navarre), wife of King Richard I (the Lionheart).
4 for Dan Blum.

> * B. Movie Directors

> B1. Who directed "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York"
> (1941), and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)?

Howard Hawks. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> B2. Who directed "Stranger than Paradise" (1984), "Down by Law"
> (1986), and "Mystery Train" (1989)?

Jim Jarmusch. 4 for Joshua.

> * C. The Codes of the Territories

> C1. The Yukon and Northwest Territories have been given a
> """new""" telephone area code. They share it with each
> other, but not with any provinces. """For the next few
> weeks""", their two old area codes """can""" also still
> be used; each of these """is""" shared with a different
> province. Name any one of the three codes. Just give the
> 3 digits.

403 (AB, YT, old code for western NT); 819 (northern QC, old code
for eastern NT); 867 (new code for YT and NT, and in 2021 also NU).

> C2. The Yukon and Northwest Territories each """have"""
> a different first letter that """is""" used for all their
> postal codes. Name both of these letters, *and* you must
> say which letter goes with which territory.

X = NT (and in 2021 also NU), Y = YT. (Still true.)

> * D. Rejected Astronomical Names

> D1. In 1781, when William Herschel discovered the planet later
> called Uranus, what did he decide to call it?

Georgium Sidus (George's Star, i.e. <answer A1>'s Star; anything
with a form of George was sufficient). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> D2. During a competition to name Canada's first artificial
> satellite, later known as Alouette 1, Leonard Cohen suggested
> it be called what?

Ralph.

> * E. Toronto Cooks

> E1. What chef """cooks""" in the fancy restaurant above the
> Royal Ontario Museum?

Jamie Kennedy. (Still alive, but no longer working in restaurants.)

> E2. What former Toronto chef was """recently""" charged with
> selling alcohol without a license in his country restaurant?

Michael Stadtländer.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci His Ent Spo Ent Geo Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 12 28 32 0 40 40 8 16 168
Dan Blum 20 40 28 0 36 28 4 12 164
Dan Tilque 36 40 4 8 28 36 4 8 156
Pete Gayde 14 8 24 4 20 32 0 0 102
Erland Sommarskog 24 28 -- -- 0 20 -- -- 72
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 16 -- -- -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No weapons of any kind are allowed on
msb@vex.net | White Sands Missile Range" -- U.S. Army