Trust in Allah, but tie your camel. -- Arabian proverb

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: REAL food in college? Help!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: REAL food in college? Help!dsi1
`- Re: REAL food in college? Help!Bruce

1
Re: REAL food in college? Help!

<56b23bca-0878-42c8-bec5-542d142091e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=297683&group=rec.food.cooking#297683

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 01:19:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: REAL food in college? Help!
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:19 UTC

On Sunday, June 12, 1994 at 6:37:58 AM UTC-10, Robert Williams wrote:
> In article <1994Jun10....@yvax.byu.edu>, fis...@yvax.byu.edu writes:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Boy, this newsgroup is much more lively than I would have expected
> > (especially SATAN IN MY SKILLET).
> >
> > Anyway, I'm a "poor starving college student" who has to cook to survive
> > (no, I don't live in a dorm nor eat starch-filled treats at the local
> > cafeteria). I'm looking for recipes that aren't too difficult, time-
> > consuming, or expensive--and taste good. I'm sick of peanut butter,
> > ramen, and all the ol' college standbys. Any ideas or recipes
> > would be appreciated. I'm new to the newsgroup, so maybe there has
> > already been a posting--if there has, sorry.
> >
> \\\\\\\\\\\\
> Ok, first thing, cook up a big pot of long grain rice. It's worth buying a
> rice cooker because then all you do is put the rice and water in and you've
> got great rice every time... cook rice in chicken broth by the way, it
> gives great flavor.
> Get a couple of porkchops and slice them into small pieces. fry in a lots
> of butter with one onion diced. As it gets near to being done, add a heavy
> jolt of salsa (Pace is my favorite). Stir around, add some Lawrey's
> seasoned salt and lots of pepper. Add a cup of frozen peas and stir
> quickly. (keep a bag of these and other frozen veggies on hand for this.
> Add a few cups of rice and stir around.
> Serve.

Don't forget to wash the rice first. Ha ha, just kidding. You cook your rice in an automatic rice cooker. That's smart.
Tonight's dinner in 2023 was cube steak - a Southern/black folk/poor folk favorite.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i6EWqYGvsmF2gHpE9

Re: REAL food in college? Help!

<umjg69$b7i5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=297684&group=rec.food.cooking#297684

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 20:46:47 +1100
 by: Bruce - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:46 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 01:19:32 -0800 (PST), dsi1
<dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 12, 1994 at 6:37:58 AM UTC-10, Robert Williams wrote:
>> In article <1994Jun10....@yvax.byu.edu>, fis...@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Boy, this newsgroup is much more lively than I would have expected
>> > (especially SATAN IN MY SKILLET).
>> >
>> > Anyway, I'm a "poor starving college student" who has to cook to survive
>> > (no, I don't live in a dorm nor eat starch-filled treats at the local
>> > cafeteria). I'm looking for recipes that aren't too difficult, time-
>> > consuming, or expensive--and taste good. I'm sick of peanut butter,
>> > ramen, and all the ol' college standbys. Any ideas or recipes
>> > would be appreciated. I'm new to the newsgroup, so maybe there has
>> > already been a posting--if there has, sorry.
>> >
>> \\\\\\\\\\\\
>> Ok, first thing, cook up a big pot of long grain rice. It's worth buying a
>> rice cooker because then all you do is put the rice and water in and you've
>> got great rice every time... cook rice in chicken broth by the way, it
>> gives great flavor.
>> Get a couple of porkchops and slice them into small pieces. fry in a lots
>> of butter with one onion diced. As it gets near to being done, add a heavy
>> jolt of salsa (Pace is my favorite). Stir around, add some Lawrey's
>> seasoned salt and lots of pepper. Add a cup of frozen peas and stir
>> quickly. (keep a bag of these and other frozen veggies on hand for this.
>> Add a few cups of rice and stir around.
>> Serve.
>
>Don't forget to wash the rice first. Ha ha, just kidding. You cook your rice in an automatic rice cooker. That's smart.
>Tonight's dinner in 2023 was cube steak - a Southern/black folk/poor folk favorite.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/i6EWqYGvsmF2gHpE9

To put it in a positive way: I have seen many pictures from you of
food that I'd prefer.