From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Bluebird
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:43:10 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:43 UTC

Very pretty!

https://i.postimg.cc/13XKH6dT/bluebird2.jpg

Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina

Re: Bluebird

<ut4kj0$30gii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=293&group=rec.birds#293

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: Bluebird
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:23:44 -0500
 by: super70s - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:23 UTC

On 2024-03-16 13:43:10 +0000, jmcquown said:

> Very pretty!
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/13XKH6dT/bluebird2.jpg
>
> Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina

Nice pic.

Early spring is when I usually spot them.

I have a house for them a few feet outside the window, I may be lucky
and get one to roost.

Re: Bluebird

<ut51sb$331qp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=294&group=rec.birds#294

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:10:31 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:10 UTC

On 3/16/2024 1:23 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-03-16 13:43:10 +0000, jmcquown said:
>
>> Very pretty!
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/13XKH6dT/bluebird2.jpg
>>
>> Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina
>
> Nice pic.

Thanks!

> Early spring is when I usually spot them.

They are here year round. The sad thing is my mother said she always
hoped to see one. She told me she tried everything, different types of
seed, mealworms. Nothing she tried would attract them.

After she died I put a small bird bath on the patio and suddenly there
were bluebirds everywhere! I remember thinking darn, the one thing Mom
didn't think of was a bird bath.

> I have a house for them a few feet outside the window, I may be lucky
> and get one to roost.

Good luck with the bird house!

Jill

Re: Bluebird

<ut59oh$34qih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=295&group=rec.birds#295

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:25:05 -0500
 by: super70s - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:25 UTC

On 2024-03-16 21:10:31 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 3/16/2024 1:23 PM, super70s wrote:
>> On 2024-03-16 13:43:10 +0000, jmcquown said:
>>
>>> Very pretty!
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/13XKH6dT/bluebird2.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina
>>
>> Nice pic.
>>
> Thanks!
>
>> Early spring is when I usually spot them.
>>
> They are here year round. The sad thing is my mother said she always
> hoped to see one. She told me she tried everything, different types of
> seed, mealworms. Nothing she tried would attract them.
>
> After she died I put a small bird bath on the patio and suddenly there
> were bluebirds everywhere! I remember thinking darn, the one thing Mom
> didn't think of was a bird bath.

When I moved into my house 17 years ago there was an old concrete
birdbath pedestal someone had discarded laying in the nearby woods. I
rolled the thing (almost too heavy to pick up!) closer to my house and
put it upright and am using one of those ceramic flower planters, about
a foot wide and 2 inches high, for a birdbath on top of the pedestal. I
started out using the clay flower planters, but found out they start to
deteriorate in freezing weather if they hold water. So far the ceramic
one is holding up over about 4 winters. Only problem is, it isn't
attached to the pedestal and every now and then a squirrel will jump up
on it and knock it over. At least it gives him a good scare, lol.

So I have the birdbath between my seed feeder on a pole, and a suet
holder hanging from a tree. Everything they need real close!

>> I have a house for them a few feet outside the window, I may be lucky
>> and get one to roost.
>>
> Good luck with the bird house!
>
> Jill

I did see a bluebird last week but unfortunately I don't think it set
up a nest in the house.

Re: Bluebird

<ut6vit$3ib8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=298&group=rec.birds#298

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:43:36 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:43 UTC

On 3/16/2024 7:25 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-03-16 21:10:31 +0000, jmcquown said:

>>> Nice pic.
>>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> Early spring is when I usually spot them.
>>>
>> They are here year round.  The sad thing is my mother said she always
>> hoped to see one.  She told me she tried everything, different types
>> of seed, mealworms.  Nothing she tried would attract them.
>>
>> After she died I put a small bird bath on the patio and suddenly there
>> were bluebirds everywhere!  I remember thinking darn, the one thing
>> Mom didn't think of was a bird bath.
>
> When I moved into my house 17 years ago there was an old concrete
> birdbath pedestal someone had discarded laying in the nearby woods. I
> rolled the thing (almost too heavy to pick up!) closer to my house and
> put it upright and am using one of those ceramic flower planters, about
> a foot wide and 2 inches high, for a birdbath on top of the pedestal. I
> started out using the clay flower planters, but found out they start to
> deteriorate in freezing weather if they hold water. So far the ceramic
> one is holding up over about 4 winters. Only problem is, it isn't
> attached to the pedestal and every now and then a squirrel will jump up
> on it and knock it over. At least it gives him a good scare, lol.

I'm sure when it falls off that scares the heck out of the squirrels! I
sometimes wish I had one of those concrete pedestal style bird baths
right behind the patio. (It's not a large patio) Then I think hmmm, I'd
rather just have the basin, not sitting on a stand. Sitting on the
patio. But they are expensive. The birds don't seem to mind the one I
have. It's cast iron, about the size of a dinner plate and is only 2"
deep. I do have to constantly refill it. Many different birds splish
splash all the water out of it.

> So I have the birdbath between my seed feeder on a pole, and a suet
> holder hanging from a tree. Everything they need real close!

I've got sort of a bird feeding "triangle" going on, too. My seed
feeder and the suet cage hang from a shepherd's hook right next to the
patio. The bird bath is on the patio. Everything they need is real
close! The hummingbird feeder is in front of a window that is visible
from my desk in the corner. I can see all of them simply by turning around.

>>> I have a house for them a few feet outside the window, I may be lucky
>>> and get one to roost.
>>>
>> Good luck with the bird house!
>>
>> Jill
>
> I did see a bluebird last week but unfortunately I don't think it set up
> a nest in the house.

Only the bird can figure out where it wants to build a nest. :)

Jill