No wonder you're tired! You understood so much today.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, bays

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysErland Sommarskog
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysErland Sommarskog
|`- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, baysDan Tilque
`* RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, baysMark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, baysErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<yNOdnc_fGNJnODP9nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2981&group=rec.games.trivia#2981

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 14:48:10 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 26 May 2021 19:48 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

The Canadiana round in this game was a second Current Events round,
so I won't be including it, except for a couple of questions for
you to try for fun. With only 7 usable rounds, I'm going to do
them in three sets -- Rounds 2-4 this time, then Rounds 7-8 and
9-10 paired as usual in the next two sets -- and of course your
best 5 scores will be counted.

I wrote one of these three rounds.

* Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. She didn't say how she had done it, but what did Jodie Foster
announce this week that she had done?

2. Why has a Nipomo, California, man started getting harassing
phone calls complaining about the weather?

* Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers

In all applicable cases, anglicized versions of royal names were
acceptable (Francis, Henry, Philip).

1. You all know who was boss of Normandy in 1066. Who ruled France
that year?

2. Remember George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan"? Which king did
Joan manage to get crowned?

3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
to the would-be English king Charles II?

4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
now Canada?

6. Who was King of France in 1759 when Quebec fell to the British?

7. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
the end of World War I.

8. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
the beginning of World War II.

9. Before she was married to Henry II of England, Eleanor of
Aquitaine was married to which French king?

10. Mary Queen of Scots was married to which French king?

* Game 7, Round 3 - Arts - Modern Masters: Drawings and Lithographs

For each picture we will give you the title and date, and tell you
the country where the artist was active (note, this is not always
their country of birth). For each question, you name the artist.
Of course, signatures have been removed.

The first 7 artists, in questions #1-7, are better known for
their paintings.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/A.jpg

"Bathers". Circa 1884, France.

2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/B.jpg

"Igor Stravinsky". 1920, France.

3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/C.jpg

"Self-Portrait with Demons". 1898, Belgium.

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/D.jpg

"The Large Bathers". Circa 1898, France.

5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/E.jpg

"Solitude". 1917, Italy.

6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/F.jpg

"Sleeping Woman". 1921, Mexico.

7. (Not for the squeamish, this one.)
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/G.jpg

"This is Worse". 1810-20, Spain.

The next two artists, in questions #8-9, are best known for
caricatures, collages, and illustrations.

8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/H.jpg

"Fit for Active Service". 1918, Germany.

9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/I.jpg

"Man Picking Wheat". Circa 1940, US.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/J.jpg

"Self-Portrait". 1924, Germany. This artist was known mostly
for her drawings.

The original handout included four decoys. Name these artists as
well if you like, for fun, but for no points.

11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/K.jpg
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/L.jpg
13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/M.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/N.jpg

* Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch

This round is all about areas where water extends to fill a concavity
in various shorelines. They're all pretty much the same thing,
but some of them are called bays, some are gulfs, and some are seas.

1. What *two* Canadian provinces have coastline on Chaleur Bay?

2. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan each have one large bay on their
western side. Name *either* bay.

3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
coast of what country?

4. What bay lies at the north end of the Davis Strait, between
Canada and Greenland?

5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
its coastline belong to?

6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.

7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
coast that France and Spain border on?

8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?

9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
Italy and such countries as Croatia?

10. In the TV show "Baywatch"... what bay """are""" they watching?

--
Mark Brader | Obviously an off by 1 error somewhere. You know
Toronto | the kind, where you intend to put something simple

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<s8mtjd$8i5$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2982&group=rec.games.trivia#2982

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 01:45:17 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 27 May 2021 01:45 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 1. She didn't say how she had done it, but what did Jodie Foster
> announce this week that she had done?

gotten pregnant

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers

> 1. You all know who was boss of Normandy in 1066. Who ruled France
> that year?

Louis II; Louis III

> 2. Remember George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan"? Which king did
> Joan manage to get crowned?

Charles VII

> 3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
> to the would-be English king Charles II?

Louis XIII

> 4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

Louis-Philippe

> 5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
> now Canada?

Henry IV

> 6. Who was King of France in 1759 when Quebec fell to the British?

Louis XV

> 7. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the end of World War I.

Clemenceau

> 8. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the beginning of World War II.

Leon Blum
(no relation)

> 9. Before she was married to Henry II of England, Eleanor of
> Aquitaine was married to which French king?

Louis III; Charles II

> 10. Mary Queen of Scots was married to which French king?

Charles IX

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Arts - Modern Masters: Drawings and Lithographs

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/E.jpg

> "Solitude". 1917, Italy.

de Chirico

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/F.jpg

> "Sleeping Woman". 1921, Mexico.

Rivera

> 7. (Not for the squeamish, this one.)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/G.jpg

> "This is Worse". 1810-20, Spain.

Goya

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch

> 1. What *two* Canadian provinces have coastline on Chaleur Bay?

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia; Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador

> 2. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan each have one large bay on their
> western side. Name *either* bay.

Green Bay

> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
> coast of what country?

Turkey

> 5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
> its coastline belong to?

Russia

> 6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
> the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.

Sea of Japan

> 7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
> coast that France and Spain border on?

Bay of Biscay

> 8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
> what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?

Gulf of Aden

> 9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
> Italy and such countries as Croatia?

Adriatic Sea

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<XnsAD372C2026CBgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2983&group=rec.games.trivia#2983

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 05:16:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 27 May 2021 05:16 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:yNOdnc_fGNJnODP9nZ2dnUU7-
VPNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers
>
> 3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
> to the would-be English king Charles II?

Louis XIV

> 4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

Louis-Philippe

> 5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
> now Canada?

Henri IV
> * Game 7, Round 3 - Arts - Modern Masters: Drawings and Lithographs

No answers.

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch
>
> This round is all about areas where water extends to fill a concavity
> in various shorelines. They're all pretty much the same thing,
> but some of them are called bays, some are gulfs, and some are seas.
>
> 1. What *two* Canadian provinces have coastline on Chaleur Bay?

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia

> 2. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan each have one large bay on their
> western side. Name *either* bay.

Green Bay

> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
> coast of what country?

Australia

> 5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
> its coastline belong to?

Finland; Russia

> 6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
> the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.

Sea of Japan

> 7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
> coast that France and Spain border on?

Bay of Biscay
> 8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
> what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?

Gulf of Aden

> 9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
> Italy and such countries as Croatia?

Adriatic Sea
> 10. In the TV show "Baywatch"... what bay """are""" they watching?

Malibu Bay

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<XnsAD37D0A24FAA9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=rec.games.trivia#2984

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 20:30:34 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:30 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers
>
> 1. You all know who was boss of Normandy in 1066. Who ruled France
> that year?

Louis IV
> 3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
> to the would-be English king Charles II?

Louis XIV
> 4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

Louis Philppe
> 5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
> now Canada?

Louis X
> 6. Who was King of France in 1759 when Quebec fell to the British?

Louis XV
> 7. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the end of World War I.

Poincaré
> 8. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the beginning of World War II.

Clemenceau

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<XnsAD37D21755D41Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2985&group=rec.games.trivia#2985

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 20:39:10 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:39 UTC

I failed to observe that there rounds. I saw the top of one entrant's
answer slate, so I skip the first two questions (which I wouldn't
have known anyway.)

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch
>
> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
> coast of what country?

Australia

> 5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
> its coastline belong to?

Russia
> 6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
> the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.

Yellow Sea

> 7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
> coast that France and Spain border on?

Biscaya
> 8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
> what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?

Gulf of Aden
> 9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
> Italy and such countries as Croatia?

Adriatic
> 10. In the TV show "Baywatch"... what bay """are""" they watching?

Frisco Bay?

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<h8SdnZ8WdNu3dTL9nZ2dnUU7-NnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2986&group=rec.games.trivia#2986

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!newsin.alt.net!fdcspool1.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:42:50 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:42 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> I failed to observe that there rounds. I saw the top of one entrant's
> answer slate, so I skip the first two questions (which I wouldn't
> have known anyway.)

Thanks, good recovery.
--
Mark Brader "I would love to make it, more than
Toronto anything else I've not written."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4: French rulers, drawings, bays

<s8pics$s3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2987&group=rec.games.trivia#2987

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 18:52:27 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 28 May 2021 01:52 UTC

On 5/26/21 12:48 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. She didn't say how she had done it, but what did Jodie Foster
> announce this week that she had done?
>
> 2. Why has a Nipomo, California, man started getting harassing
> phone calls complaining about the weather?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers
>
> In all applicable cases, anglicized versions of royal names were
> acceptable (Francis, Henry, Philip).
>
> 1. You all know who was boss of Normandy in 1066. Who ruled France
> that year?

Louis II

> 2. Remember George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan"? Which king did
> Joan manage to get crowned?

Charles V ??

> 3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
> to the would-be English king Charles II?
>
> 4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

Louis XVIII

> 5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
> now Canada?
>
> 6. Who was King of France in 1759 when Quebec fell to the British?

Louis XVI

> 7. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the end of World War I.
>
> 8. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the beginning of World War II.
>
> 9. Before she was married to Henry II of England, Eleanor of
> Aquitaine was married to which French king?
>
> 10. Mary Queen of Scots was married to which French king?
>

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Arts - Modern Masters: Drawings and Lithographs
>
> For each picture we will give you the title and date, and tell you
> the country where the artist was active (note, this is not always
> their country of birth). For each question, you name the artist.
> Of course, signatures have been removed.
>

> The first 7 artists, in questions #1-7, are better known for
> their paintings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/A.jpg
>
> "Bathers". Circa 1884, France.
>
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/B.jpg
>
> "Igor Stravinsky". 1920, France.
>
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/C.jpg
>
> "Self-Portrait with Demons". 1898, Belgium.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/D.jpg
>
> "The Large Bathers". Circa 1898, France.
>
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/E.jpg
>
> "Solitude". 1917, Italy.
>
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/F.jpg
>
> "Sleeping Woman". 1921, Mexico.
>
> 7. (Not for the squeamish, this one.)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/G.jpg
>
> "This is Worse". 1810-20, Spain.
>
> The next two artists, in questions #8-9, are best known for
> caricatures, collages, and illustrations.
>
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/H.jpg
>
> "Fit for Active Service". 1918, Germany.
>
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/I.jpg
>
> "Man Picking Wheat". Circa 1940, US.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/J.jpg
>
> "Self-Portrait". 1924, Germany. This artist was known mostly
> for her drawings.
>

> The original handout included four decoys. Name these artists as
> well if you like, for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/K.jpg
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/L.jpg
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/M.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/N.jpg
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch
>
> This round is all about areas where water extends to fill a concavity
> in various shorelines. They're all pretty much the same thing,
> but some of them are called bays, some are gulfs, and some are seas.
>
> 1. What *two* Canadian provinces have coastline on Chaleur Bay?

Quebec and New Brusnwick

> 2. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan each have one large bay on their
> western side. Name *either* bay.

Green Bay

> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
> coast of what country?

Australia

> 4. What bay lies at the north end of the Davis Strait, between
> Canada and Greenland?
>
> 5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
> its coastline belong to?

Russia

> 6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
> the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.
>
> 7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
> coast that France and Spain border on?

Biscay

> 8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
> what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?
>
> 9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
> Italy and such countries as Croatia?

Adriatic

> 10. In the TV show "Baywatch"... what bay """are""" they watching?

Now that's a mistake. The actual name of the show is "Babewatch".
They're not watching a body of water at all. Certainly the viewers aren't.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, bays

<D82dnQjHHqJpLy_9nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2988&group=rec.games.trivia#2988

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, bays
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:32:36 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these three rounds.

That was the geography round.

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. She didn't say how she had done it, but what did Jodie Foster
> announce this week that she had done?

Become pregnant. Dan Blum got this.

> 2. Why has a Nipomo, California, man started getting harassing
> phone calls complaining about the weather?

Because of his name: Al Nino.

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - French Rulers

> In all applicable cases, anglicized versions of royal names were
> acceptable (Francis, Henry, Philip).

> 1. You all know who was boss of Normandy in 1066. Who ruled France
> that year?

Philippe I (or the Fair).

> 2. Remember George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan"? Which king did
> Joan manage to get crowned?

Charles VII. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. During the Commonwealth period, which French king gave refuge
> to the would-be English king Charles II?

Louis XIV. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

"Would-be" in two senses. He would have already been the King of
England if Parliament hadn't abolished the monarchy, and he would
become king when they reversed that action.

> 4. And which French king was given refuge in England in 1848?

Louis Philippe. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 5. Who was King of France in 1534 when Cartier landed in what is
> now Canada?

François I.

> 6. Who was King of France in 1759 when Quebec fell to the British?

Louis XV. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

> 7. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the end of World War I.

Raymond Poincaré; Georges Clemençeau. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

> 8. Name *either* the president or the prime minister of France at
> the beginning of World War II.

Albert Lebrun; Edouard Daladier.

> 9. Before she was married to Henry II of England, Eleanor of
> Aquitaine was married to which French king?

Louis VII.

> 10. Mary Queen of Scots was married to which French king?

François II.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Arts - Modern Masters: Drawings and Lithographs

> For each picture we will give you the title and date, and tell you
> the country where the artist was active (note, this is not always
> their country of birth). For each question, you name the artist.
> Of course, signatures have been removed.

This was one of four rounds all tied for being the hardest of the season.

> The first 7 artists, in questions #1-7, are better known for
> their paintings.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/A.jpg

> "Bathers". Circa 1884, France.

Auguste Renoir.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/B.jpg

> "Igor Stravinsky". 1920, France.

Pablo Picasso.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/C.jpg

> "Self-Portrait with Demons". 1898, Belgium.

James Ensor.

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/D.jpg

> "The Large Bathers". Circa 1898, France.

Paul Cézanne.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/E.jpg

> "Solitude". 1917, Italy.

Giorgio di Chirico. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/F.jpg

> "Sleeping Woman". 1921, Mexico.

Diego Rivera. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. (Not for the squeamish, this one.)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/G.jpg

> "This is Worse". 1810-20, Spain.

Francisco Goya. (From his series "The Horrors of War".)
4 for Dan Blum.

> The next two artists, in questions #8-9, are best known for
> caricatures, collages, and illustrations.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/H.jpg

> "Fit for Active Service". 1918, Germany.

George Grosz.

"KV" is short for "kriegsverwendungsfahig", which translates to the
drawing's title.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/I.jpg

> "Man Picking Wheat". Circa 1940, US.

Ben Shahn.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/J.jpg

> "Self-Portrait". 1924, Germany. This artist was known mostly
> for her drawings.

Käthe Kollwitz.

> The original handout included four decoys. Name these artists as
> well if you like, for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried these.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/K.jpg

Henri Matisse ("Still Life with Fruit and Flowers", 1947).

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/L.jpg

Aubrey Beardsley ("Ali Baba", 1894).

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/M.jpg

Paul Gauguin ("Standing Tahitian Nude", circa 1894).

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo7/3/N.jpg

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec ("Yvette Guilbert", 1894).

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Geography - Bay Watch

> This round is all about areas where water extends to fill a concavity
> in various shorelines. They're all pretty much the same thing,
> but some of them are called bays, some are gulfs, and some are seas.

> 1. What *two* Canadian provinces have coastline on Chaleur Bay?

Quebec, New Brunswick. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia is the Bay of Fundy, as
mentioned on "Jeopardy!" yesterday. Between Nova Scotia and
Newfoundland is the Cabot Strait.

> 2. Lake Huron and Lake Michigan each have one large bay on their
> western side. Name *either* bay.

Saginaw Bay, Green Bay. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
> coast of what country?

Australia. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. What bay lies at the north end of the Davis Strait, between
> Canada and Greenland?

This was a decoy in Game 4, Round 3, remember? It's Baffin Bay.

> 5. The White Sea is subject to freezing. What country does all of
> its coastline belong to?

Russia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

In the original game QMs were warned: "if USSR is given, call
it wrong. Enough time has passed now."

> 6. This sea lies mainly between China and South Korea, and connects
> the East China Sea to Korea Bay. Name it.

Yellow Sea. 4 for Erland.

> 7. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the indentation in Europe's Atlantic
> coast that France and Spain border on?

Bay of Biscay. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

In 2009 "Biscayne" was tried, and I scored it as almost correct.
That's only true lexically and not geographically, as Biscayne Bay
is actually off Miami, Florida!

> 8. To travel from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean, you must traverse
> what gulf, located mainly between Yemen and Somalia?

Gulf of Aden. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 9. What bay, gulf, or sea forms the arm of the Mediterranean between
> Italy and such countries as Croatia?

Adriatic Sea. 4 for everyone.

> 10. In the TV show "Baywatch"... what bay """are""" they watching?

Santa Monica Bay, near Los Angeles. Yeah, I know, not really
a geography question. Incidentally, essentially the same question
was asked on "Jeopardy!" on 2008-12-18, while I was preparing these
games for newsgroup posting the first time.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Art Geo
Dan Blum 16 12 20 48
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 24 40
Joshua Kreitzer 8 0 22 30
Dan Tilque 0 0 24 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yes, you're very smart. Shut up."
msb@vex.net --The Princess Bride

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 2-4 answers: French rulers, drawings, bays

<XnsAD3A66B0E6E0EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2990&group=rec.games.trivia#2990

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:05:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 30 May 2021 08:05 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 3. The Gulf of Carpentaria forms a large notch in the northern
>> coast of what country?
>
> Australia. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

Tha name of the bay did not ring a bell at all. But there are not
that many countries with a distinct north coast. And not all of them
has a distinct gulf.
>> 4. What bay lies at the north end of the Davis Strait, between
>> Canada and Greenland?
>
> This was a decoy in Game 4, Round 3, remember? It's Baffin Bay.
Yes, I remembered that the bay appeared in an earlier quiz. But I
did not remember the name.