Adults die young.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcockbbowler
+- RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8 answers: plastics and HitchcockMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and HitchcockMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<oJKdnSn2rqtmLi_9nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2989&group=rec.games.trivia#2989

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:36:59 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:36 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for
no points.

1. Normally we wouldn't dare ask you the name of Canada's Prospector
of the Year. But this guy made it to the front page -- probably
because of his better-known son, a Canadian Olympic athlete.
Name him -- their last name is enough.

2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
its cinemas?

I wrote one of these rounds.

** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you...
just one word.
Ben Braddock: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben Braddock: Yes, sir, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
-- "The Graduate" (1967)

* Rubber

1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

2. I.G. Farben created a synthetic rubber in the late 1920s that
assumed a great deal of strategic importance for Germany in
World War II. This new material was a copolymer of butadiene
and styrene catalyzed by sodium -- its name derives from two
of these materials, and is one of the """current""" trade names
for synthetic rubber in Germany. What is it?

* Early Plastics

3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
Deco style.

* Terminology

5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and
a continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section
similar to that of the orifice.

* Nomenclature

7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
better known by what trade name?

8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
substance better known by what trade name?

10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
name?

** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
Alfred Hitchcock

1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
are often contending for control or possession of a particular
item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
the FBI. What was it?

2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of
the title character. What was the title?

3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
What was its title?

4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
first two*.

5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that
had been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals,
and which ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later.
Name *either movie*.

6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years
and cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was
the necktie. The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern,
and included a humorous scene of a runaway car on a California
mountain road. Name either one.

7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
How did he manage to get himself into the movie?

8. This actress was Hitchcock's favorite, starring opposite Ray
Milland, James Stewart, and Cary Grant in different movies;
and in various later movies, Hitchcock was considered to have
had her in mind when casting Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and Eva
Marie Saint. Name her.

9. Several Hitchcock movies include memorable scenes on trains,
but only one, from 1938, is set almost entirely on a train
from start to finish. It takes place in an unnamed European
country and the title character is played by Dame May Whitty.
Name the film.

10. Name the 1935 Hitchcock movie, based on a story whose author
was also a governor-general of Canada, that features Robert
Donat and Madeleine Carroll and for part of the story has them
handcuffed together.

--
Mark Brader "By this time I was feeling guilty. No, correction,
Toronto I was feeling that I *should* feel guilty ..."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<XnsAD3A67F0C90DCYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2991&group=rec.games.trivia#2991

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:13:03 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 30 May 2021 08:13 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics
>
> * Rubber
>
> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

Vulcanization
> * Early Plastics
>
> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

Celluoid
> * Terminology
>
> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

Many
> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Nylon
> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

Polyvinylechloride

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<s903dm$bpd$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2992&group=rec.games.trivia#2992

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 13:19:50 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 30 May 2021 13:19 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)

> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics

> * Rubber

> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

vulcanization

> * Early Plastics

> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

Bakelite

> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
> in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
> balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
> Deco style.

Bakelite

> * Terminology

> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

many

> 6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
> an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and
> a continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section
> similar to that of the orifice.

extrusion

> * Nomenclature

> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Teflon

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

polyvinyl chloride

> 9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
> substance better known by what trade name?

Lucite; Plexiglass

> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Styrofoam

> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock

> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular
> item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
> called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
> Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
> but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
> the FBI. What was it?

uranium

> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
> every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
> of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
> and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
> What was its title?

Rope

> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
> much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
> of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
> The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
> first two*.

Rebecca

> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
> How did he manage to get himself into the movie?

picture in a newspaper

> 8. This actress was Hitchcock's favorite, starring opposite Ray
> Milland, James Stewart, and Cary Grant in different movies;
> and in various later movies, Hitchcock was considered to have
> had her in mind when casting Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and Eva
> Marie Saint. Name her.

Grace Kelly

> 9. Several Hitchcock movies include memorable scenes on trains,
> but only one, from 1938, is set almost entirely on a train
> from start to finish. It takes place in an unnamed European
> country and the title character is played by Dame May Whitty.
> Name the film.

The Lady Vanishes

> 10. Name the 1935 Hitchcock movie, based on a story whose author
> was also a governor-general of Canada, that features Robert
> Donat and Madeleine Carroll and for part of the story has them
> handcuffed together.

The Thirty-Nine Steps

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<XnsAD3A98258D529gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2993&group=rec.games.trivia#2993

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 19:57:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 30 May 2021 19:57 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:oJKdnSn2rqtmLi_9nZ2dnUU7-
aHNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
> its cinemas?

commercials
> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics
>
> * Rubber
>
> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

vulcanization

> * Early Plastics
>
> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

cellulose
> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
> in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
> balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
> Deco style.

cellulose

> * Terminology
>
> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

many

> * Nomenclature
>
> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Teflon

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

polyvinyl chloride
> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Styrofoam
> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock

> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular
> item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
> called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
> Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
> but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
> the FBI. What was it?

instructions for an atomic bomb

> 2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
> considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of
> the title character. What was the title?

"The Trouble with Harry"
> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
> every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
> of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
> and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
> What was its title?

"Rope"

> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
> much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
> of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
> The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
> first two*.

"Rebecca"

> 5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
> in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that
> had been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals,
> and which ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
> Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
> filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later.
> Name *either movie*.

"Dial M for Murder"

> 6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
> in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years
> and cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was
> the necktie. The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern,
> and included a humorous scene of a runaway car on a California
> mountain road. Name either one.

"Frenzy"

> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
> How did he manage to get himself into the movie?

he was shown in a picture in a newspaper advertisement
> 8. This actress was Hitchcock's favorite, starring opposite Ray
> Milland, James Stewart, and Cary Grant in different movies;
> and in various later movies, Hitchcock was considered to have
> had her in mind when casting Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and Eva
> Marie Saint. Name her.

Doris Day (?)

> 9. Several Hitchcock movies include memorable scenes on trains,
> but only one, from 1938, is set almost entirely on a train
> from start to finish. It takes place in an unnamed European
> country and the title character is played by Dame May Whitty.
> Name the film.

"The Lady Vanishes"
> 10. Name the 1935 Hitchcock movie, based on a story whose author
> was also a governor-general of Canada, that features Robert
> Donat and Madeleine Carroll and for part of the story has them
> handcuffed together.

"The 39 Steps"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<s92hai$692$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2994&group=rec.games.trivia#2994

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 04:29:20 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 31 May 2021 11:29 UTC

On 5/29/21 2:36 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 1. Normally we wouldn't dare ask you the name of Canada's Prospector
> of the Year. But this guy made it to the front page -- probably
> because of his better-known son, a Canadian Olympic athlete.
> Name him -- their last name is enough.
>
> 2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
> its cinemas?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics
>
> Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you...
> just one word.
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir.
> Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir, I am.
> Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
> -- "The Graduate" (1967)
>
> * Rubber
>
> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

vulcanization

> 2. I.G. Farben created a synthetic rubber in the late 1920s that
> assumed a great deal of strategic importance for Germany in
> World War II. This new material was a copolymer of butadiene
> and styrene catalyzed by sodium -- its name derives from two
> of these materials, and is one of the """current""" trade names
> for synthetic rubber in Germany. What is it?

neoprene

> * Early Plastics
>
> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

nitrocellulose

> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
> in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
> balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
> Deco style.

bakelite

> * Terminology
>
> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

multiple

> 6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
> an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and
> a continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section
> similar to that of the orifice.

extrusion

> * Nomenclature
>
> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

teflon

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

polyvinyl chloride

> 9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
> substance better known by what trade name?

Acrylic

> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Styrofoam

> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock
>
> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular
> item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
> called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
> Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
> but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
> the FBI. What was it?

plans for an atomic bomb

> 2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
> considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of
> the title character. What was the title?
>
> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
> every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
> of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
> and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
> What was its title?
>
> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
> much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
> of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
> The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
> first two*.
>
> 5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
> in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that
> had been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals,
> and which ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
> Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
> filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later.
> Name *either movie*.
>
> 6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
> in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years
> and cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was
> the necktie. The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern,
> and included a humorous scene of a runaway car on a California
> mountain road. Name either one.
>
> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
> How did he manage to get himself into the movie?

as a dead body ??

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<ihn7dcF7p8cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2995&group=rec.games.trivia#2995

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (bbowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: 1 Jun 2021 17:00:29 GMT
 by: bbowler - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:00 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 16:36:59 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for no
> points.
>
> 1. Normally we wouldn't dare ask you the name of Canada's Prospector
> of the Year. But this guy made it to the front page -- probably
> because of his better-known son, a Canadian Olympic athlete. Name him
> -- their last name is enough.
>
> 2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
> its cinemas?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics
>
> Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you...
> just one word.
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir.
> Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir, I am.
> Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
> -- "The Graduate" (1967)
>
> * Rubber
>
> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when the
> American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

Vulcanization

> 2. I.G. Farben created a synthetic rubber in the late 1920s that
> assumed a great deal of strategic importance for Germany in World War
> II. This new material was a copolymer of butadiene and styrene
> catalyzed by sodium -- its name derives from two of these materials,
> and is one of the """current""" trade names for synthetic rubber in
> Germany. What is it?
>
> * Early Plastics
>
> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into a
> shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement for
> ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have far
> greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

Cellulose?

> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications in
> everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard balls;
> indeed, this material may be said to define the Art Deco style.

Bakelite

> * Terminology
>
> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by the name
> "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

Many

> 6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
> an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and a
> continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section similar to
> that of the orifice.

extrusion

> * Nomenclature
>
> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Teflon

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to ski boots.
> What does PVC stand for?

PolyVinyl Chloride

> 9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
> substance better known by what trade name?

Lexan?

> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Styrofoam

> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock
>
> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular item
> of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically called the
> McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid Bergman, the
> McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle -- but *what* it was
> caused Hitchcock to attract attention from the FBI. What was it?
>
> 2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
> considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of the
> title character. What was the title?
>
> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required every 10
> minutes or so when the camera was about to run out of film are
> actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart and was inspired by
> the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb. What was its title?

Rope?

> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton, much of
> its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west of England. The
> second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England. The
> third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the first two*.
>
> 5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
> in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that had
> been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals, and which
> ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
> Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
> filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later. Name
> *either movie*.

Lifeboat?

> 6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
> in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years and
> cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was the necktie.
> The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern, and included a
> humorous scene of a runaway car on a California mountain road. Name
> either one.

Family Plot

> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role. How did
> he manage to get himself into the movie?

His photo was in the newspaper they had

> 8. This actress was Hitchcock's favorite, starring opposite Ray
> Milland, James Stewart, and Cary Grant in different movies;
> and in various later movies, Hitchcock was considered to have had her
> in mind when casting Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and Eva Marie Saint.
> Name her.
>
> 9. Several Hitchcock movies include memorable scenes on trains,
> but only one, from 1938, is set almost entirely on a train from start
> to finish. It takes place in an unnamed European country and the
> title character is played by Dame May Whitty. Name the film.
>
> 10. Name the 1935 Hitchcock movie, based on a story whose author
> was also a governor-general of Canada, that features Robert Donat and
> Madeleine Carroll and for part of the story has them handcuffed
> together.

RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8 answers: plastics and Hitchcock

<_pWdneFl1rdyNyv9nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2996&group=rec.games.trivia#2996

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8 answers: plastics and Hitchcock
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:47:27 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:47 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for
> no points.

> 1. Normally we wouldn't dare ask you the name of Canada's Prospector
> of the Year. But this guy made it to the front page -- probably
> because of his better-known son, a Canadian Olympic athlete.
> Name him -- their last name is enough.

Mark Rebagliati, father of Ross.

> 2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
> its cinemas?

A trailer, aimed at getting people to turn off cellphones and pagers,
that showed an execution about to take place.

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the entertainment round. Incidentally, I noted when posting
these answers in 2009, the March 2009 issue of "Games" had a quiz
on Hitchcock movies, consisting of stills from 21 of his movies and
a list of the titles to be matched with them. I got 19 right.

> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics

> Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you...
> just one word.
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir.
> Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir, I am.
> Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
> -- "The Graduate" (1967)

The movie was written by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry, based on
the original novel by Charles Webb.

> * Rubber

> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

Vulcanization. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 2. I.G. Farben created a synthetic rubber in the late 1920s that
> assumed a great deal of strategic importance for Germany in
> World War II. This new material was a copolymer of butadiene
> and styrene catalyzed by sodium -- its name derives from two
> of these materials, and is one of the """current""" trade names
> for synthetic rubber in Germany. What is it?

Buna. (Still true as far as I know.)

Sodium is "Natrium" in German, as in Latin.

> * Early Plastics

> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

Celluloid. (Not cellulose, a natural substance found in plants.
Not nitrocellulose either.) 4 for Erland.

Although celluloid is the best-known movie film base, celluloid film
is dangerously flammable and was replaced by safer plastics in the
mid-20th century.

> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
> in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
> balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
> Deco style.

Bakelite. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

It's named after its inventor, Leo Baekeland.

> * Terminology

> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

Many (referring to many repeated units of a chained molecule).
4 for everyone.

> 6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
> an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and
> a continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section
> similar to that of the orifice.

Extrusion. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

Of course, it's also used with metals, typically the softer ones.

> * Nomenclature

> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Teflon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

Polyvinyl chloride. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
> substance better known by what trade name?

Plexiglas (or Perspex). Okay, and also Lucite. 4 for Dan Blum
(the hard way).

"Acrylic" is not a trade name. Lexan is a different plastic.

> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Styrofoam. Okay, and also Frigolit. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock

> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular
> item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
> called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
> Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
> but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
> the FBI. What was it?

Uranium ore. I did not require "ore", and scored other references
to nuclear weaponry as almost correct. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
> considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of
> the title character. What was the title?

"The Trouble with Harry". 4 for Joshua.

> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
> every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
> of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
> and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
> What was its title?

"Rope". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Bruce.

I left the question the way I wrote it in 1998, but the description
of the movie is not actually correct: every second one of the
"joints", every 20 minutes or so, is not a badly concealed cut but
a conventional, unconcealed one. Because you're used to seeing
a lot more of those, they *aren't* obvious -- you'll only notice
them if you're looking for them. See the IMDB or even Wikipedia.

> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
> much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
> of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
> The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
> first two*.

"Jamaica Inn", "Rebecca". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Again, I've left the question the way I wrote it in 1998, but years
later when I watched "Jamaica Inn" for the second time, I didn't
find the dialect so impenetrable after all.

> 5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
> in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that
> had been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals,
> and which ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
> Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
> filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later.
> Name *either movie*.

"Saboteur" (not "Sabotage", a different Hitchcock movie); "Dial M
for Murder". 4 for Joshua.

The ship, unnamed in "Saboteur", was the "Normandie". See:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-normandie-catches-fire

The use of 3-D for "Dial M for Murder" explains why certain shots
were taken from an unusual perspective: for example, one shot with
a pair of scissors very close to the camera.

> 6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
> in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years
> and cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was
> the necktie. The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern,
> and included a humorous scene of a runaway car on a California
> mountain road. Name either one.

"Frenzy", "Family Plot". 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
> How did he manage to get himself into the movie?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<s96jah$1qcp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2998&group=rec.games.trivia#2998

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:28:04 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 00:28 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 7, Round 6 - Canadiana Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions, too, if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 1. Normally we wouldn't dare ask you the name of Canada's Prospector
> of the Year. But this guy made it to the front page -- probably
> because of his better-known son, a Canadian Olympic athlete.
> Name him -- their last name is enough.
>
> 2. What did Cineplex Odeon decide this week to stop showing in
> its cinemas?

Passion of the Christ

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 7 - Science - Plastics
>
> Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you...
> just one word.
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir.
> Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
> Ben Braddock: Yes, sir, I am.
> Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
> -- "The Graduate" (1967)
>
> * Rubber
>
> 1. Rubber is naturally elastic but has the serious disadvantages
> that it becomes too soft and sticky when warm, and too hard when
> cold. These disadvantages were partially overcome in 1839 when
> the American inventor Charles Goodyear discovered what process?

Bessemer

> 2. I.G. Farben created a synthetic rubber in the late 1920s that
> assumed a great deal of strategic importance for Germany in
> World War II. This new material was a copolymer of butadiene
> and styrene catalyzed by sodium -- its name derives from two
> of these materials, and is one of the """current""" trade names
> for synthetic rubber in Germany. What is it?
>
> * Early Plastics
>
> 3. In the late 1860s, two brothers named Hyatt created the first
> thermoplastic -- a moldable mass formed by heat and pressure into
> a shape that it retains. They intended it to be a replacement
> for ivory (for example, in billiard balls), but it proved to have
> far greater application -- including film and fashion. Name it.

Cellulose

> 4. The first "true" synthetic material was invented in 1907 by
> a Belgian immigrant to the US. It had immediate applications
> in everything from lacquer to electrical insulation to billiard
> balls; indeed, this material may be said to define the Art
> Deco style.
>
> * Terminology
>
> 5. Some common plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene,
> polystyrene... in fact, the whole class of plastics goes by
> the name "polymers". What does the prefix "poly-" mean?

Many

> 6. What process is this? A melted polymer is forced through
> an opening with a particular cross-section (the die), and
> a continuous shape is formed with a constant cross-section
> similar to that of the orifice.

Extrusion

> * Nomenclature
>
> 7. Polytetrafluoroethylene, used in cookware and clothing, is
> better known by what trade name?

Teflon

> 8. PVC is a common hard, inflexible plastic whose industrial use
> is ubiquitous -- it appears in everything from tubing to
> ski boots. What does PVC stand for?

Polyvinyl chloride

> 9. Polymethyl methacrylate is a transparent, extremely hard
> substance better known by what trade name?

Kevlar

> 10. Polystyrene with air injected is better known by what trade
> name?

Packing peanuts

> ** Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - The Master: The Films of
> Alfred Hitchcock
>
> 1. In the kinds of stories that Hitchcock told, the major characters
> are often contending for control or possession of a particular
> item of value to them -- an item that Hitchcock generically
> called the McGuffin. In "Notorious" (1946), starring Ingrid
> Bergman, the McGuffin proved to be hidden in a wine bottle --
> but *what* it was caused Hitchcock to attract attention from
> the FBI. What was it?
>
> 2. This 1955 movie was Shirley MacLaine's debut and is generally
> considered Hitchcock's funniest. Its McGuffin is the body of
> the title character. What was the title?
>
> 3. In 1948, Hitchcock made the experiment of a movie intended to
> look like one continuous shot -- though the joints required
> every 10 minutes or so when the camera was about to run out
> of film are actually quite obvious. It starred James Stewart
> and was inspired by the real-life murderers Leopold and Loeb.
> What was its title?

Rear Window

> 4. Hitchcock made three movies based on the writings of Daphne
> du Maurier. The first was a 1939 film with Charles Laughton,
> much of its dialogue in the impenetrable dialect of the west
> of England. The second, a 1940 film with Laurence Olivier,
> was his first American-made movie but was again set in England.
> The third was "The Birds" (1963). Name *either one of the
> first two*.
>
> 5. Robert Cummings appeared in two Hitchcock movies. He starred
> in a 1942 film which included real-life footage of a ship that
> had been destroyed in New York harbor allegedly by criminals,
> and which ended with a chase to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
> Cummings was also in a 1954 movie starring Ray Milland that was
> filmed in 3-D, although not released that way until years later.
> Name *either movie*.
>
> 6. Name either of Hitchcock's last two movies. For one, released
> in 1972, he returned to Britain for the first time in 20 years
> and cast Barry Foster as a serial killer whose weapon was
> the necktie. The other appeared in 1976, starred Bruce Dern,
> and included a humorous scene of a runaway car on a California
> mountain road. Name either one.
>
> 7. Since the story of "Lifeboat" (1944) takes place entirely
> in the boat, Hitchcock could not play his usual walk-on role.
> How did he manage to get himself into the movie?
>
> 8. This actress was Hitchcock's favorite, starring opposite Ray
> Milland, James Stewart, and Cary Grant in different movies;
> and in various later movies, Hitchcock was considered to have
> had her in mind when casting Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, and Eva
> Marie Saint. Name her.

Grace Kelly

> 9. Several Hitchcock movies include memorable scenes on trains,
> but only one, from 1938, is set almost entirely on a train
> from start to finish. It takes place in an unnamed European
> country and the title character is played by Dame May Whitty.
> Name the film.

Murder on the Orient Express

> 10. Name the 1935 Hitchcock movie, based on a story whose author
> was also a governor-general of Canada, that features Robert
> Donat and Madeleine Carroll and for part of the story has them
> handcuffed together.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 7-8: plastics and Hitchcock

<85qdnYJ0TI9kdCv9nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2999&group=rec.games.trivia#2999

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 21:16:25 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 02:16 UTC

If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
16 points on Round 7 and 4 on Round 8 for a running score of 20.
--
Mark Brader | "Earthmen learned how to send ships through space, and
msb@vex.net | so initiated human history, though I suppose there was