Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth. -- Picasso

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

SubjectAuthor
* Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerSqwertz
+- Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerGM
+- Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerCindy Hamilton
+- Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerGM
`* Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinneritsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
 `* Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerSqwertz
  +* Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerAlex
  |`* Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerSqwertz
  | `* Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerAlex
  |  `- Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben DinnerSqwertz
  `- Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinneritsjoannotjoann@webtv.net

1
Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<1345wjzeebct5$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299248&group=rec.food.cooking#299248

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Subject: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 09:49:22 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 15:49 UTC

Check eye steak cooked med rare, eggs up in browned butter, mini
hash browns (AKA "flat tots"), and of course, bacon accompanies
every breakfast in America the Great (not oatmeal):

https://i.postimg.cc/Vvj3wFmv/Steak-Eggs-Bacon-Hash-Browns.jpg

(there was a also a 5" quarter of "Arara Melon" which was the
"Sunday Freebie" at HEB. Not as good as honeydoo at half the
price, but good enough for free.

Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg

Now that's a sandwich!

Don't like either of those, then have some Sloppy Hoes from
Saturday night.

https://i.postimg.cc/FK6tVRTr/Sloppy-Joes.jpg

Don't like any of that? Then you need years of mental therapy.
Which my neighbor can provide in 4 hour group sessions 2X/weekly
for which I provide the catering services.

-sw

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<d14f6a02-c537-4fa3-81a5-da60ec991359n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299250&group=rec.food.cooking#299250

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 07:56:40 -0800 (PST)
From: gregorym...@gmail.com (GM)
 by: GM - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 15:56 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 9:49:28 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> Check eye steak cooked med rare, eggs up in browned butter, mini
> hash browns (AKA "flat tots"), and of course, bacon accompanies
> every breakfast in America the Great (not oatmeal):
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Vvj3wFmv/Steak-Eggs-Bacon-Hash-Browns.jpg
>
> (there was a also a 5" quarter of "Arara Melon" which was the
> "Sunday Freebie" at HEB. Not as good as honeydoo at half the
> price, but good enough for free.
>
> Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
> opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
> the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
> probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
> I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
> turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg
>
> Now that's a sandwich!
>
> Don't like either of those, then have some Sloppy Hoes from
> Saturday night.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/FK6tVRTr/Sloppy-Joes.jpg
>
> Don't like any of that? Then you need years of mental therapy.
> Which my neighbor can provide in 4 hour group sessions 2X/weekly
> for which I provide the catering services.

Steve, can I move down by you and be a lesbian...???

I can make you hemp sandals, macrame sweater vests, and seitan "steak"...

We can sip ho - made dandelion wine, and listen to Joan Baez and Leonard Cohen...

You will be " Whole Earth Steve "...

--
GM

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<m7fnN.150631$c3Ea.112606@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299256&group=rec.food.cooking#299256

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 17:11:46 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:11 UTC

On 2024-01-09, Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.compost> wrote:
> Check eye steak cooked med rare, eggs up in browned butter, mini
> hash browns (AKA "flat tots"), and of course, bacon accompanies
> every breakfast in America the Great (not oatmeal):

I have bacon for "second breakfast" on Sundays. Oatmeal around
6:30 and bacon around 9:30.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<c9a721c6-916c-4ba6-9855-a1d5e147de73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299268&group=rec.food.cooking#299268

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:27:54 -0800 (PST)
From: gregorym...@gmail.com (GM)
 by: GM - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:27 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 9:49:28 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> Check eye steak cooked med rare, eggs up in browned butter, mini
> hash browns (AKA "flat tots"), and of course, bacon accompanies
> every breakfast in America the Great (not oatmeal):
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Vvj3wFmv/Steak-Eggs-Bacon-Hash-Browns.jpg
>
> (there was a also a 5" quarter of "Arara Melon" which was the
> "Sunday Freebie" at HEB. Not as good as honeydoo at half the
> price, but good enough for free.
>
> Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
> opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
> the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
> probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
> I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
> turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg
>
> Now that's a sandwich!
>
> Don't like either of those, then have some Sloppy Hoes from
> Saturday night.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/FK6tVRTr/Sloppy-Joes.jpg
>
> Don't like any of that? Then you need years of mental therapy.
> Which my neighbor can provide in 4 hour group sessions 2X/weekly
> for which I provide the catering services.

A splash of rice vinegar or other neutral acid at the end of a long braise really wakes up all the other flavors. If your stew or chili tastes a bit bland, add vinegar before adding salt and spices and see if that helps...

An easy cheat for thickening gravies and sauces is unflavored instant mashed potatoes. It stirs smoothly into the liquid without forming lumps, and it's handy when I don't want to deal with a roux...

The basket steamer is the best tool for reheating smoked meats like ribs and brisket...

When preparing chicken drumsticks, slice the leg down to the bone a couple inches above the ankle, and then pull off the ankle joint/skin using a kitchen towel for grip. This removes the toughest tendons in the leg which tend to get rubbery when cooked, and it also causes the meat to shrink upwards when cooking, which yields a nice looking "frenched" drumstick. It also gives you a clean bare bone to grab and eat...

The very best way to clean a crusty and seemingly uncleanable Le Creuset grill pan (or any other heavy enameled cast iron grill pan, I reckon) is to pop it in the oven when you run the self-cleaning cycle. The results border on the miraculous...

--
GM

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<41cefc1b-bc14-4d19-ab8e-a868e02f52b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299270&group=rec.food.cooking#299270

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:29:38 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:29 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 9:49:28 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
> opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
> the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
> probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
> I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
> turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg
>
> Now that's a sandwich!
>
> -sw

It all looks very good. How long did you cook the pastrami??

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<1bkm5jhiapoeq.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299278&group=rec.food.cooking#299278

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:41:42 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:41 UTC

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:29:38 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 9:49:28 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
>> opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
>> the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
>> probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
>> I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
>> turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg
>>
>> Now that's a sandwich!
>>
> It all looks very good. How long did you cook the pastrami??

I didn't cook the pastrami, I bought it. But I did warm it up in
the grill pan with the bread and a little more in the toaster oven
to melt the cheese.

-sw

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<tLOdnSqrYt-hrQL4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299304&group=rec.food.cooking#299304

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Xela...@gmail.com (Alex)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500
 by: Alex - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:03 UTC

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:29:38 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 9:49:28 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Sunday Dinner was supposed to be a pastrami Reuben, but when I
>>> opened the can of Del Monte sauerkraut it was only 4/5ths full at
>>> the time of canning and therefore was a nasty brown and full of
>>> probable botulism (hold your breath so you don't inhale it!). So
>>> I switched to home made olive giardiniera at the last minute which
>>> turned out to be pretty awesome in itself.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/nr86NW8N/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben-Money-Shot.jpg
>>>
>>> Now that's a sandwich!
>>>
>> It all looks very good. How long did you cook the pastrami??
> I didn't cook the pastrami, I bought it. But I did warm it up in
> the grill pan with the bread and a little more in the toaster oven
> to melt the cheese.
>
> -sw

Horseradish sauce?

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<5a9bf9b9-918d-4782-8e85-72c2adb2a0d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299317&group=rec.food.cooking#299317

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:42:15 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 01:42 UTC

On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 12:41:48 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:29:38 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
> wrote:
> >
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/Tw5z76sr/Pastrami-Giardiniera-Reuben.jpg
> >>
> > It all looks very good. How long did you cook the pastrami??
> >
> I didn't cook the pastrami, I bought it. But I did warm it up in
> the grill pan with the bread and a little more in the toaster oven
> to melt the cheese.
>
> -sw

Oh ok, thanks.

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<10yh0j12jm34e.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299446&group=rec.food.cooking#299446

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:49:06 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:49 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500, Alex wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:29:38 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
>> wrote:

>>> It all looks very good. How long did you cook the pastrami??
>> I didn't cook the pastrami, I bought it. But I did warm it up in
>> the grill pan with the bread and a little more in the toaster oven
>> to melt the cheese.
>
> Horseradish sauce?

Yes, It's a heavily horseradished thousand island-type dressing.
Using fresh-grated horseradish and sweet horseradish pickles. Not
Woebers.

-sw

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<ZGGdnZu1pfciTTz4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=299508&group=rec.food.cooking#299508

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Xela...@gmail.com (Alex)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:52:30 -0500
 by: Alex - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 23:52 UTC

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500, Alex wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I didn't cook the pastrami, I bought it. But I did warm it up in
>>> the grill pan with the bread and a little more in the toaster oven
>>> to melt the cheese.
>> Horseradish sauce?
> Yes, It's a heavily horseradished thousand island-type dressing.
> Using fresh-grated horseradish and sweet horseradish pickles. Not
> Woebers.
>
> -sw

That sounds good.  Only Inglehoffer (sp?) here.

Ever have pickled okra?  Google Talk O' Texas okra pickles.  Good stuff!

Re: Sunday Steak & Eggs Breakfast And Pastrami Reuben Dinner

<w8eb7eqdenqg$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300089&group=rec.food.cooking#300089

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 01:26:23 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:26 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:52:30 -0500, Alex wrote:

> Ever have pickled okra?  Google Talk O' Texas okra pickles.  Good stuff!

It's the only okra I can stomach.

-sw