You will pioneer the first Martian colony.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

SubjectAuthor
* Conditioned Taste AversionEd P
+* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionS Viemeister
|`* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversiontok shid
| `* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionjmcquown
|  `- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionJohnnie Moxley
+* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionGM
|`* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBryanGSimmons
| `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionJohnnie Moxley
|  `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|   `- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionJohnnie Moxley
+- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionDave Smith
+- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionCindy Hamilton
+* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionLeonard Blaisdell
|+* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionjmcquown
||+* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionCindy Hamilton
|||`* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionjmcquown
||| `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|||  `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionCindy Hamilton
|||   +- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|||   `- Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionjmcquown
||`- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|+- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionMike Duffy
|+- Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionsongbird
|`* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionMichael Trew
| `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionDave Smith
|  `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|   `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionCindy Hamilton
|    +* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionsongbird
|    |`* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|    | `* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionsongbird
|    |  `- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
|    `- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
`* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionGraham
 +* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionDave Smith
 |+- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce
 |`* Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionsongbird
 | `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionMummyChunk
 |  `- Re: Conditioned Taste Aversionsongbird
 `* Re: Conditioned Taste AversionLeonard Blaisdell
  `- Re: Conditioned Taste AversionBruce

Pages:12
Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<XCMqN.51043$Sf59.28241@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300096&group=rec.food.cooking#300096

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:45:27 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:45 UTC

On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> Food poisoning means "I got sick from something that was in the
>>> food I ate". You know all those food recalls? Granola, lettuce,
>>> spinach, green onions, strawberries, ad infinitum? E. coli,
>>> salmonella, listeria, norovirus? It's appallingly common.
>>>
>>I've heard of those recalls but since I don't tend to eat the items
>>which have been listed/affected in recalls, I've never had an issue with
>>food poisoning.
>
> You must follow a very limited diet. Only things you had as a child, I
> bet.

She doesn't eat foods that are served cold. Cooking tends to kill
those microorganisms.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uog50a$3kbrr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300097&group=rec.food.cooking#300097

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:50:00 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:50 UTC

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:45:27 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've heard of those recalls but since I don't tend to eat the items
>>>which have been listed/affected in recalls, I've never had an issue with
>>>food poisoning.
>>
>> You must follow a very limited diet. Only things you had as a child, I
>> bet.
>
>She doesn't eat foods that are served cold. Cooking tends to kill
>those microorganisms.

Oh, and she doesn't eat salads if I remember correctly. Maybe no
fruits, like strawberries either.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<D3SqN.88144$JLvf.41036@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300103&group=rec.food.cooking#300103

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:57:20 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:57 UTC

On 1/20/2024 4:45 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 19:03:08 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I've heard of those recalls but since I don't tend to eat the items
>>> which have been listed/affected in recalls, I've never had an issue with
>>> food poisoning.
>>
>> You must follow a very limited diet. Only things you had as a child, I
>> bet.
>
> She doesn't eat foods that are served cold. Cooking tends to kill
> those microorganisms.

True, Cindy, I don't care for raw vegetables or cold food. I cook that
I eat and I definitely eat far more than what I had as a child. Of
course it is a typical Bruce reply.

Jill

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<ol8t7k-2vc.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300108&group=rec.food.cooking#300108

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:23:52 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:23 UTC

MummyChunk wrote:

> Ed P wrote:
[line fixed and rest snipped]

when you quote someone else their name is not
prefaced by the same level of mark as the text
written by them. so realistically you should have
removed (or not added) the > that was before Ed P's
name on that first line.

notice how i've follwed up to your post and see
that your name is not prefaced by the quote mark?

songbird

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<IwVqN.116715$q3F7.73311@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300125&group=rec.food.cooking#300125

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:53:19 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

On 1/19/2024 4:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2024-01-19, Ed P<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>> Something came up in a forum that reminded me of this. Many of us have
>> an instance of it.
>>
>> Did you ever get sick and co-incidentally ate something that day and
>> never ate again? It is totally unrelated, except in our mind.

Pepperoni straight out of the package. I was about 8 years old, and I
still don't care for pepperoni, unless it is baked into bread or crispy
on a pizza pie.

Mom can't eat anything with cherry flavoring, due to cherry flavored
cold medicine as a child.

> My granddaughter ate a lot of Chef Boyardee ravioli as a kid. She got, or
> thought she got, food poisoning from a can when she was around twelve.
> She hasn't eaten any since.
> I'd like to know what percentage of instances of food poisoning are
> blamed on the wrong culprit. I bet it's substantial.

I hear that most cases are miss-associated with what caused it, but I
can say with a straight face that I've never managed to get sick from
home cooking.

> Personally, I don't think I've ever had food poisoning...yet.

I had it once, and it was awful. Both myself and an ex had it, and it
was awful for a couple of days. The room was spinning much of the time.
We narrowed it down to the hot wings we at from a local pizza joint.
Everyone else in the house had the pizza, but only us had the wings. A
friend of mine told me they once got sick from their wings. It's no
shock that they went out of business.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<l12s85FllneU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300133&group=rec.food.cooking#300133

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 20 Jan 2024 21:28:38 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 21:28 UTC

On 2024-01-19, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

> At Uni, I attended a sherry tasting event and, like most of the others,
> got drunk. For many, many years, the smell of sherry turned my stomach.

I'm still that way with bourbon and for the same reason.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uohe1k$3r7jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300134&group=rec.food.cooking#300134

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 08:30:28 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 21:30 UTC

On 20 Jan 2024 21:28:38 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2024-01-19, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> At Uni, I attended a sherry tasting event and, like most of the others,
>> got drunk. For many, many years, the smell of sherry turned my stomach.
>

>I'm still that way with bourbon and for the same reason.

Practice makes perfect, Leo.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<8UXqN.8199$mMj7.5150@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300138&group=rec.food.cooking#300138

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:34:44 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 22:34 UTC

On 2024-01-20 2:53 p.m., Michael Trew wrote:
> On 1/19/2024 4:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> On 2024-01-19, Ed P<esp@snet.xxx>  wrote:
>>> Something came up in a forum that reminded me of this.  Many of us have
>>> an instance of it.
>>>
>>> Did you ever get sick and co-incidentally ate something that day and
>>> never ate again?  It is totally unrelated, except in our mind.
>
> Pepperoni straight out of the package.  I was about 8 years old, and I
> still don't care for pepperoni, unless it is baked into bread or crispy
> on a pizza pie.
>
> Mom can't eat anything with cherry flavoring, due to cherry flavored
> cold medicine as a child.
>
>> My granddaughter ate a lot of Chef Boyardee ravioli as a kid. She got, or
>> thought she got, food poisoning from a can when she was around twelve.
>> She hasn't eaten any since.
>> I'd like to know what percentage of instances of food poisoning are
>> blamed on the wrong culprit. I bet it's substantial.
>
> I hear that most cases are miss-associated with what caused it, but I
> can say with a straight face that I've never managed to get sick from
> home cooking.
>
>> Personally, I don't think I've ever had food poisoning...yet.
>
> I had it once, and it was awful.  Both myself and an ex had it, and it
> was awful for a couple of days.  The room was spinning much of the time.
>  We narrowed it down to the hot wings we at from a local pizza joint.
> Everyone else in the house had the pizza, but only us had the wings.  A
> friend of mine told me they once got sick from their wings.  It's no
> shock that they went out of business.

Have you ever had "stomach flu"? That is usually a form of food poisoning.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uohm4a$3sdfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300143&group=rec.food.cooking#300143

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:48:25 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 23:48 UTC

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-01-20 2:53 p.m., Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 1/19/2024 4:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I don't think I've ever had food poisoning...yet.
>>
>> I had it once, and it was awful.  Both myself and an ex had it, and it
>> was awful for a couple of days.  The room was spinning much of the time.
>> We narrowed it down to the hot wings we at from a local pizza joint.
>> Everyone else in the house had the pizza, but only us had the wings.  A
>> friend of mine told me they once got sick from their wings.  It's no
>> shock that they went out of business.
>
>Have you ever had "stomach flu"? That is usually a form of food poisoning.

"No, stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are actually
caused by different things, although they can share some similar
symptoms."

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<Px6rN.60699$zqTf.3002@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300152&group=rec.food.cooking#300152

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:41:51 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:41 UTC

On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
><adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I had it once, and it was awful.  Both myself and an ex had it, and it
>>> was awful for a couple of days.  The room was spinning much of the time.
>>> We narrowed it down to the hot wings we at from a local pizza joint.
>>> Everyone else in the house had the pizza, but only us had the wings.  A
>>> friend of mine told me they once got sick from their wings.  It's no
>>> shock that they went out of business.
>>
>>Have you ever had "stomach flu"? That is usually a form of food poisoning.
>
> "No, stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are actually
> caused by different things, although they can share some similar
> symptoms."

He put "stomach flu" in quote marks to indicate that food poisoning
is often ascribed incorrectly to influenza.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<d4cv7k-u82.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300153&group=rec.food.cooking#300153

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 06:35:09 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:35 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
>><adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>>Have you ever had "stomach flu"? That is usually a form of food poisoning.
>>
>> "No, stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are actually
>> caused by different things, although they can share some similar
>> symptoms."
>
> He put "stomach flu" in quote marks to indicate that food poisoning
> is often ascribed incorrectly to influenza.

Bruce's "friend" may not understand quotes, snarkchazms,
ironee or other meta-level type lingo.

songbird

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uojp87$b1qt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300168&group=rec.food.cooking#300168

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 05:53:59 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:53 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:41:51 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
>><adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>>Have you ever had "stomach flu"? That is usually a form of food poisoning.
>>
>> "No, stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are actually
>> caused by different things, although they can share some similar
>> symptoms."
>
>He put "stomach flu" in quote marks to indicate that food poisoning
>is often ascribed incorrectly to influenza.

He ascribes it to "stomach flu" to food poisoning.

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uojpcn$b1qt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300169&group=rec.food.cooking#300169

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 05:56:22 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:56 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 06:35:09 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2024-01-20, Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> "No, stomach flu (gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are actually
>>> caused by different things, although they can share some similar
>>> symptoms."
>>
>> He put "stomach flu" in quote marks to indicate that food poisoning
>> is often ascribed incorrectly to influenza.
>
> Bruce's "friend" may not understand quotes, snarkchazms,
>ironee or other meta-level type lingo.

Ok, the use of quotation marks is getting out of "hand".
<http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/>

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<b3908k-qne.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300174&group=rec.food.cooking#300174

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:49:31 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:49 UTC

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 06:35:09 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>> Bruce's "friend" may not understand quotes, snarkchazms,
>>ironee or other meta-level type lingo.
>
> Ok, the use of quotation marks is getting out of "hand".
><http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/>

you may take it up with the shit key...

songbird (all typoes, puns, etc. etc.

te(in)nt
ion
al

Re: Conditioned Taste Aversion

<uojtca$bojq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=300177&group=rec.food.cooking#300177

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 07:04:26 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:04 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:49:31 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 06:35:09 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Bruce's "friend" may not understand quotes, snarkchazms,
>>>ironee or other meta-level type lingo.
>>
>> Ok, the use of quotation marks is getting out of "hand".
>><http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/>
>
> you may take it up with the shit key...

You mean the "shit" key?