6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 answers: NHL +/-; challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge roundDan Tilque
`- RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 answers: NHL +/-; challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<f6WdnXi1KOf0Niv9nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2997&group=rec.games.trivia#2997

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:49:29 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:49 UTC

I wrote one of these rounds.

** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - NHL Expansion and Contraction

*Note*: In this round, where we ask you for the name of a team, we
always require the *full name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders",
unless stated otherwise. For teams that used more than one name
while at the same location, you can give any version of the name.

1. The NHL began play in 1917 as a 4-team league. Two of those teams
survive today as the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
One of the others was killed by the Great Depression: they
skipped the 1931-32 season due to financial trouble, moved to
a US city in 1934, and failed after one more year. Give their
name either before or after the move.

2. The fourth of the original teams had a much shorter life:
they had played just 4 games (losing three of them) when the
arena they were sharing with another NHL team burned down,
and the team was disbanded soon after. What was their name?

3. A fifth team was actually granted a franchise at the inception
of the NHL in 1917, but did not begin play until 1919. In 1920
they changed provinces, moving to Ontario, but the team failed
in 1925. Name either of the *cities* where they played -- team
name *not* required.

4. The NHL's first period of expansion was 1924-26, when the
league added 7 new teams for a total of 10. Four of these are
still playing, being the American teams among the so-called
"original six"; the others failed in 1931, 1938, and 1942.
Name *any one* of the three teams that failed, giving any of
the names that they used.

5. The NHL's next period of expansion began with the addition of
6 teams simultaneously -- in what year, within 1?

6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

7. Of the 6 new teams mentioned in question 5, the ones in Los
Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis """are still"""
playing in those cities. After two moves, a merger, and a
special deal that approximately split the merged team back into
two, the other two franchises have yielded two """present-day"""
teams in new cities. Name either of these """present-day"""
teams.

8. The Kansas City Scouts joined the league <7 years after answer 5>
and have moved """twice since""". Give either of their later names.

9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

10. """Each year since 1995""", one of the NHL teams that was originally
in the WHA has moved: two have left Canada while the third moved
to a more southerly location within the US. Give the new names
of any two of the three teams.

After completing the round, please decode the rot26. :-)
I'll repeat the note in case you'd forgotten: In this round,
where we ask you for the name of a team, we always require the *full
name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders", unless stated otherwise.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Accounting

A1. What does the acronym GAAP ["gap"] stand for?

A2. When a company is acquired, its value over and above the
value of its assets, and including such intangible factors
as good reputation and brand recognition, is called what?

* B. Quotes about War

B1. This commander's reputation has taken a beating """lately""",
but his critics have taken their lumps too. He said, "There
are a lot of people who say that bombing can never win a war.
Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet,
and we shall see." Name him.

B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
"Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."

* C. Underground Comics

C1. """He's""" one of the most popular and influential
underground comic artists, creator of such characters
as Mr. Natural, the Snoids, and Fritz the Cat. He later
turned to aggressively sexual imagery which alienated some
of his readers, although """he's still""" widely respected
and prolific. He was the subject of a """recent"""
award-winning film biography. Who """is""" he?

C2. Gilbert Shelton (with, later, Paul Mavrides) wrote and drew
this funny, incredibly popular comic book published by the
Rip Off Press. It follows the adventures of Fat Freddy,
Freewheelin' Franklin, and Phineas, who are collectively
known as...?

* D. Hip Urban Novels of the 1980s

These writers have written more novels and stories since, but they
were never as successful as they were when writing about drug use,
promiscuity, and moody indecision in the Money Decade.

D1. Who wrote "Slaves of New York" (1986)?
D2. Who wrote "Bright Lights, Big City" (1984)?

* E. Foreign-Language Idioms

E1. Translate or explain the Italian expression "Traduttore
traditore" ["tra-doot-TOR-eh tra-dih-TOR-eh"].

E2. Translate or explain the Yiddish expression "Kein eyn hora"
["kain ain HO-ra"].

--
Mark Brader ...the scariest words of the afternoon:
Toronto "Hey, don't worry, I've read all about

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<s96qep$gac$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3000&group=rec.games.trivia#3000

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 02:29:45 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 02:29 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> 6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
> finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
> one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

Ottawa Senators; Edmonton Oilers

> 9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
> was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

Vancouver Canucks; Calgary Flames

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Accounting

> A1. What does the acronym GAAP ["gap"] stand for?

generally accepted accounting practices

> * B. Quotes about War

> B1. This commander's reputation has taken a beating """lately""",
> but his critics have taken their lumps too. He said, "There
> are a lot of people who say that bombing can never win a war.
> Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet,
> and we shall see." Name him.

Billy Mitchell; Curtis LeMay

> B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
> "Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
> undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
> single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
> considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."

Ho Chi Minh; Che Guevara

> * C. Underground Comics

> C1. """He's""" one of the most popular and influential
> underground comic artists, creator of such characters
> as Mr. Natural, the Snoids, and Fritz the Cat. He later
> turned to aggressively sexual imagery which alienated some
> of his readers, although """he's still""" widely respected
> and prolific. He was the subject of a """recent"""
> award-winning film biography. Who """is""" he?

Robert Crumb

> C2. Gilbert Shelton (with, later, Paul Mavrides) wrote and drew
> this funny, incredibly popular comic book published by the
> Rip Off Press. It follows the adventures of Fat Freddy,
> Freewheelin' Franklin, and Phineas, who are collectively
> known as...?

The Freak Brothers

> * D. Hip Urban Novels of the 1980s

> D1. Who wrote "Slaves of New York" (1986)?

Tama Janowicz

> D2. Who wrote "Bright Lights, Big City" (1984)?

Bret Easton Ellis

> * E. Foreign-Language Idioms

> E1. Translate or explain the Italian expression "Traduttore
> traditore" ["tra-doot-TOR-eh tra-dih-TOR-eh"].

The translator is a traitor.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<XnsAD3DD19C424Cgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3001&group=rec.games.trivia#3001

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:17:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 06:17 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - NHL Expansion and Contraction
>
> *Note*: In this round, where we ask you for the name of a team, we
> always require the *full name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders",
> unless stated otherwise. For teams that used more than one name
> while at the same location, you can give any version of the name.
>
> 1. The NHL began play in 1917 as a 4-team league. Two of those teams
> survive today as the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
> One of the others was killed by the Great Depression: they
> skipped the 1931-32 season due to financial trouble, moved to
> a US city in 1934, and failed after one more year. Give their
> name either before or after the move.

Montreal Maroons

> 4. The NHL's first period of expansion was 1924-26, when the
> league added 7 new teams for a total of 10. Four of these are
> still playing, being the American teams among the so-called
> "original six"; the others failed in 1931, 1938, and 1942.
> Name *any one* of the three teams that failed, giving any of
> the names that they used.

New York Americans
> 5. The NHL's next period of expansion began with the addition of
> 6 teams simultaneously -- in what year, within 1?

1967

> 6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
> finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
> one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

Vancouver Canucks

> 7. Of the 6 new teams mentioned in question 5, the ones in Los
> Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis """are still"""
> playing in those cities. After two moves, a merger, and a
> special deal that approximately split the merged team back into
> two, the other two franchises have yielded two """present-day"""
> teams in new cities. Name either of these """present-day"""
> teams.

New Jersey Devils; Washington Capitals
> 8. The Kansas City Scouts joined the league <7 years after answer 5>
> and have moved """twice since""". Give either of their later
> names.

New Jersey Devils; Washington Capitals

> 9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
> was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

Calgary Flames
> 10. """Each year since 1995""", one of the NHL teams that was
> originally
> in the WHA has moved: two have left Canada while the third moved
> to a more southerly location within the US. Give the new names
> of any two of the three teams.

Carolina Hurricanes

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Accounting
>
> A1. What does the acronym GAAP ["gap"] stand for?

generally accepted accounting principles
> A2. When a company is acquired, its value over and above the
> value of its assets, and including such intangible factors
> as good reputation and brand recognition, is called what?

goodwill
> * B. Quotes about War
>
> B1. This commander's reputation has taken a beating """lately""",
> but his critics have taken their lumps too. He said, "There
> are a lot of people who say that bombing can never win a war.
> Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet,
> and we shall see." Name him.

Arthur Harris
> B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
> "Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
> undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
> single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
> considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."

Mao Zedong; Che Guevara
> * C. Underground Comics
>
> C1. """He's""" one of the most popular and influential
> underground comic artists, creator of such characters
> as Mr. Natural, the Snoids, and Fritz the Cat. He later
> turned to aggressively sexual imagery which alienated some
> of his readers, although """he's still""" widely respected
> and prolific. He was the subject of a """recent"""
> award-winning film biography. Who """is""" he?

Robert Crumb
> C2. Gilbert Shelton (with, later, Paul Mavrides) wrote and drew
> this funny, incredibly popular comic book published by the
> Rip Off Press. It follows the adventures of Fat Freddy,
> Freewheelin' Franklin, and Phineas, who are collectively
> known as...?

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
> * D. Hip Urban Novels of the 1980s
>
> These writers have written more novels and stories since, but they
> were never as successful as they were when writing about drug use,
> promiscuity, and moody indecision in the Money Decade.
>
> D1. Who wrote "Slaves of New York" (1986)?

Tama Janowitz

> D2. Who wrote "Bright Lights, Big City" (1984)?

Jay McInerney
> * E. Foreign-Language Idioms
>
> E1. Translate or explain the Italian expression "Traduttore
> traditore" ["tra-doot-TOR-eh tra-dih-TOR-eh"].

"translator, traitor"
> E2. Translate or explain the Yiddish expression "Kein eyn hora"
> ["kain ain HO-ra"].

"no evil eye"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<XnsAD3DD11452C0FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3002&group=rec.games.trivia#3002

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 20:33:12 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 18:33 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> 1. The NHL began play in 1917 as a 4-team league. Two of those teams
> survive today as the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
> One of the others was killed by the Great Depression: they
> skipped the 1931-32 season due to financial trouble, moved to
> a US city in 1934, and failed after one more year. Give their
> name either before or after the move.

Montreal Maroons
> 2. The fourth of the original teams had a much shorter life:
> they had played just 4 games (losing three of them) when the
> arena they were sharing with another NHL team burned down,
> and the team was disbanded soon after. What was their name?

Montreal Maroons

> 5. The NHL's next period of expansion began with the addition of
> 6 teams simultaneously -- in what year, within 1?

1967
> 6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
> finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
> one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

Vancouver Canucks
> 7. Of the 6 new teams mentioned in question 5, the ones in Los
> Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis """are still"""
> playing in those cities. After two moves, a merger, and a
> special deal that approximately split the merged team back into
> two, the other two franchises have yielded two """present-day"""
> teams in new cities. Name either of these """present-day"""
> teams.

Detroit Red Wings
> 8. The Kansas City Scouts joined the league <7 years after answer 5>
> and have moved """twice since""". Give either of their later names.

Dallas Stars
> 9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
> was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

Colorado Avalanche
> 10. """Each year since 1995""", one of the NHL teams that was originally
> in the WHA has moved: two have left Canada while the third moved
> to a more southerly location within the US. Give the new names
> of any two of the three teams.

Colorado Avalanche

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Accounting
>
> A2. When a company is acquired, its value over and above the
> value of its assets, and including such intangible factors
> as good reputation and brand recognition, is called what?

goodwill
> B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
> "Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
> undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
> single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
> considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."

Mao

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<s99p5u$19bl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3003&group=rec.games.trivia#3003

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 00:26:23 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 05:26 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - NHL Expansion and Contraction
>
> *Note*: In this round, where we ask you for the name of a team, we
> always require the *full name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders",
> unless stated otherwise. For teams that used more than one name
> while at the same location, you can give any version of the name.
>
> 1. The NHL began play in 1917 as a 4-team league. Two of those teams
> survive today as the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
> One of the others was killed by the Great Depression: they
> skipped the 1931-32 season due to financial trouble, moved to
> a US city in 1934, and failed after one more year. Give their
> name either before or after the move.

Ottawa Senators

> 2. The fourth of the original teams had a much shorter life:
> they had played just 4 games (losing three of them) when the
> arena they were sharing with another NHL team burned down,
> and the team was disbanded soon after. What was their name?

Montreal Maroons

> 3. A fifth team was actually granted a franchise at the inception
> of the NHL in 1917, but did not begin play until 1919. In 1920
> they changed provinces, moving to Ontario, but the team failed
> in 1925. Name either of the *cities* where they played -- team
> name *not* required.

Ottawa

> 4. The NHL's first period of expansion was 1924-26, when the
> league added 7 new teams for a total of 10. Four of these are
> still playing, being the American teams among the so-called
> "original six"; the others failed in 1931, 1938, and 1942.
> Name *any one* of the three teams that failed, giving any of
> the names that they used.

Montreal Maroons

> 5. The NHL's next period of expansion began with the addition of
> 6 teams simultaneously -- in what year, within 1?

1967

> 6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
> finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
> one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

Vancouver Canucks

> 7. Of the 6 new teams mentioned in question 5, the ones in Los
> Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis """are still"""
> playing in those cities. After two moves, a merger, and a
> special deal that approximately split the merged team back into
> two, the other two franchises have yielded two """present-day"""
> teams in new cities. Name either of these """present-day"""
> teams.

Dallas Stars

> 8. The Kansas City Scouts joined the league <7 years after answer 5>
> and have moved """twice since""". Give either of their later names.

Atlanta Flames

> 9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
> was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

Calgary Flames

> 10. """Each year since 1995""", one of the NHL teams that was originally
> in the WHA has moved: two have left Canada while the third moved
> to a more southerly location within the US. Give the new names
> of any two of the three teams.

Carolina Hurricanes

> After completing the round, please decode the rot26. :-)
> I'll repeat the note in case you'd forgotten: In this round,
> where we ask you for the name of a team, we always require the *full
> name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders", unless stated otherwise.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Accounting
>
> A1. What does the acronym GAAP ["gap"] stand for?

Generally Accepted Accounting Practices

> A2. When a company is acquired, its value over and above the
> value of its assets, and including such intangible factors
> as good reputation and brand recognition, is called what?
>

> * B. Quotes about War
>
> B1. This commander's reputation has taken a beating """lately""",
> but his critics have taken their lumps too. He said, "There
> are a lot of people who say that bombing can never win a war.
> Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet,
> and we shall see." Name him.

Harris; Stockdale

> B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
> "Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
> undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
> single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
> considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."
>

> * C. Underground Comics
>
> C1. """He's""" one of the most popular and influential
> underground comic artists, creator of such characters
> as Mr. Natural, the Snoids, and Fritz the Cat. He later
> turned to aggressively sexual imagery which alienated some
> of his readers, although """he's still""" widely respected
> and prolific. He was the subject of a """recent"""
> award-winning film biography. Who """is""" he?
>
> C2. Gilbert Shelton (with, later, Paul Mavrides) wrote and drew
> this funny, incredibly popular comic book published by the
> Rip Off Press. It follows the adventures of Fat Freddy,
> Freewheelin' Franklin, and Phineas, who are collectively
> known as...?
>

> * D. Hip Urban Novels of the 1980s
>
> These writers have written more novels and stories since, but they
> were never as successful as they were when writing about drug use,
> promiscuity, and moody indecision in the Money Decade.
>
> D1. Who wrote "Slaves of New York" (1986)?
> D2. Who wrote "Bright Lights, Big City" (1984)?
>

> * E. Foreign-Language Idioms
>
> E1. Translate or explain the Italian expression "Traduttore
> traditore" ["tra-doot-TOR-eh tra-dih-TOR-eh"].
>
> E2. Translate or explain the Yiddish expression "Kein eyn hora"
> ["kain ain HO-ra"].

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 NHL +/-; challenge round

<s99qe4$rn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3004&group=rec.games.trivia#3004

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:47:46 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 05:47 UTC

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 answers: NHL +/-; challenge round

<zMadnb5cCrJsDif9nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3005&group=rec.games.trivia#3005

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 7 Rounds 9-10 answers: NHL +/-; challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 15:58:25 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 20:58 UTC

I meant to say earlier:
| These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-09, and
| should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
| members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
| been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
| about 3 days.
|
| For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
| that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
| "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Well, Game 7 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by a goodish margin.
Contratulations!

Mark Brader:
> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the sports round.

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - NHL Expansion and Contraction

> *Note*: In this round, where we ask you for the name of a team, we
> always require the *full name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders",
> unless stated otherwise. For teams that used more than one name
> while at the same location, you can give any version of the name.

In 2009 a couple of entrants guessed the Toronto Blueshirts or
Toronto St. Patricks on some questions. These are not former teams,
but are an old nickname and an old name of a current team -- the
Toronto Maple Leafs.

> 1. The NHL began play in 1917 as a 4-team league. Two of those teams
> survive today as the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
> One of the others was killed by the Great Depression: they
> skipped the 1931-32 season due to financial trouble, moved to
> a US city in 1934, and failed after one more year. Give their
> name either before or after the move.

Ottawa Senators; St. Louis Eagles. 4 for Pete.

> 2. The fourth of the original teams had a much shorter life:
> they had played just 4 games (losing three of them) when the
> arena they were sharing with another NHL team burned down,
> and the team was disbanded soon after. What was their name?

Montreal Wanderers.

It was a sad ending for a team that in pre-NHL days had won the
Stanley Cup 5 years in a row. The team they were sharing with
was of course the Montreal Canadiens, who found another arena.
The Wanderers' official record shows their season record as 1-5,
but that includes two defaults after the fire.

> 3. A fifth team was actually granted a franchise at the inception
> of the NHL in 1917, but did not begin play until 1919. In 1920
> they changed provinces, moving to Ontario, but the team failed
> in 1925. Name either of the *cities* where they played -- team
> name *not* required.

Quebec City (Bulldogs), Hamilton (Tigers).

> 4. The NHL's first period of expansion was 1924-26, when the
> league added 7 new teams for a total of 10. Four of these are
> still playing, being the American teams among the so-called
> "original six"; the others failed in 1931, 1938, and 1942.
> Name *any one* of the three teams that failed, giving any of
> the names that they used.

Pittsburgh Pirates or Philadelphia Quakers; Montreal Maroons; New
York Americans or Brooklyn Americans. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

The Pirates moved in their final year. The Americans were renamed
in their final year, but continued playing in Manhattan, not Brooklyn!

> 5. The NHL's next period of expansion began with the addition of
> 6 teams simultaneously -- in what year, within 1?

1967 (accepting 1966-68). 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

The playoffs at the end of this season, in 1968, were structured
so that one of the 6 new teams would *have* to reach the Stanley
Cup Finals. (They lost.) So the situation that the Finals included
a team in its first year in the NHL *had* to happen in 1918 if any
NHL team made the Finals, and it had to happen again exactly 50 years
later in 1968; but these were the only years when it has been forced
to happen.

The interesting part is that these two years were the only times when
it *did* happen -- until *exactly 50 more years later*, in 2018,
when the Vegas Golden Knights did it without any special playoff
structure to help them. (They, too, lost.)

> 6. 3 years later, the number of Canadian teams in the league
> finally rose back above 2. Name *either* of the two teams,
> one of them Canadian, that were added at that time.

Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver Canucks. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 7. Of the 6 new teams mentioned in question 5, the ones in Los
> Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis """are still"""
> playing in those cities. After two moves, a merger, and a
> special deal that approximately split the merged team back into
> two, the other two franchises have yielded two """present-day"""
> teams in new cities. Name either of these """present-day"""
> teams.

Dallas Stars, San Jose Sharks. (Still true.) 4 for Pete.

The variously named Oakland/California (Golden) Seals became the
Cleveland Barons in 1976, then merged with the Minnesota North Stars
in 1978, then that team moved to Dallas in 1993 after forking off the
San Jose team, officially a new franchise, in 1991. See Wikipedia,
if you dare, for more on the Sharks.

> 8. The Kansas City Scouts joined the league <7 years after answer 5>
> and have moved """twice since""". Give either of their later names.

Colorado Rockies, New Jersey Devils. (Still true. Formed 1974,
moved 1976 and 1982.) 3 for Joshua.

> 9. The """only""" instance of an NHL team moving from the US to Canada
> was in 1980. What are they """now""" called?

1998 answer: Calgary Flames. (Still true. Formerly the Atlanta
Flames.) 2021 answer: Now also the Winnipeg Jets. (Formerly
the Atlanta Thrashers; moved in 2011.) Accepting either team.
4 for Joshua and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 10. """Each year since 1995""", one of the NHL teams that was originally
> in the WHA has moved: two have left Canada while the third moved
> to a more southerly location within the US. Give the new names
> of any two of the three teams.

1998 answer: Carolina Hurricanes, Colorado Avalanche, Phoenix Coyotes.
In 2021 the Coyotes are now the Arizona Coyotes. (Still the only
three such moves.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

The Quebec Nordiques moved to Denver, Colorado, in 1995; the original
Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix, Arizona, in 1996; and the Hartford
Whalers moved to Raleigh, North Carolina, in 1997.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot26. :-)
> I'll repeat the note in case you'd forgotten: In this round,
> where we ask you for the name of a team, we always require the *full
> name*, such as "Saskatchewan Roughriders", unless stated otherwise.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Accounting

> A1. What does the acronym GAAP ["gap"] stand for?

"Generally Accepted Accounting Principles" is the answer we
expected, but some examples can be found on the Net where the last
word is "Practice(s)", and I felt I had to accept this as well.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. When a company is acquired, its value over and above the
> value of its assets, and including such intangible factors
> as good reputation and brand recognition, is called what?

Goodwill. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> * B. Quotes about War

> B1. This commander's reputation has taken a beating """lately""",
> but his critics have taken their lumps too. He said, "There
> are a lot of people who say that bombing can never win a war.
> Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet,
> and we shall see." Name him.

Air Marshal Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Pete.

> B2. What 20th-century revolutionary wrote this from the field?:
> "Our isolation continues to be total; various illnesses have
> undermined the health of some comrades... We have not had a
> single recruit. To sum up, a month which has evolved normally
> considering the standard development of guerrilla warfare."

Ernesto "Che" Guevara. 2 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * C. Underground Comics

> C1. """He's""" one of the most popular and influential
> underground comic artists, creator of such characters
> as Mr. Natural, the Snoids, and Fritz the Cat. He later
> turned to aggressively sexual imagery which alienated some
> of his readers, although """he's still""" widely respected
> and prolific. He was the subject of a """recent"""
> award-winning film biography. Who """is""" he?

Click here to read the complete article