Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Emerging Biden Doctrine
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 19:59 UTC

"President Donald Trump may have turned Washington toward great-power competition, but Biden has put that issue within a larger strategic frame. "Until the pandemic struck, Trump often seemed to see the U.S.-Chinese rivalry primarily as a fight over the terms of trade. By contrast, Biden views that competition as part of “a fundamental debate” between those who believe that “autocracy is the best way forward” and those who believe that “democracy will and must prevail.”

The community of democratic nations confronts three interrelated challenges.. First is the threat from authoritarian powers—Russia and particularly China. These countries are contesting U.S. power around the world and menacing democratic nations from eastern Europe to the Taiwan Strait. Yet the challenge they pose is as much ideological as geopolitical. Different models of order at home produce different visions of order abroad: Russia and China want to weaken, fragment, and replace the existing international system because its foundational liberal principles are antithetical to their illiberal domestic practices. The danger, then, is that Moscow and Beijing will make the world safe for autocracy in ways that make it unsafe for democracy.

Russia is using cyberattacks and disinformation to knock democracies off balance and turn their citizens against one another, just as liberal societies have become increasingly tribal and polarized. China uses its market power to punish criticism—that is, free speech—in advanced democracies from Europe to Australia; provides the world’s autocrats with the tools and techniques of repression; and is rewriting the rules of international organizations to protect and even privilege authoritarianism. Most menacingly, Beijing is making generational outlays in technologies, such as 5G telecommunications and artificial intelligence, meant to spread China’s autocratic influence and propel it past its democratic rivals. The bottom line is that a world led by empowered, aggressive autocracies will be, as President Franklin Roosevelt warned, a “shabby and dangerous place” for those who value freedom. ...
The third threat is the decay of democracy from within. In recent years, the United States has seen the election of an unabashedly illiberal president and a violent effort to overturn a democratic election. Throughout the liberal world, antidemocratic sentiments and dissatisfaction with representative institutions have reached heights not seen since World War II. These trends are alarming in their own right; they also leave the United States and its allies more vulnerable to autocratic predation. This crisis of democratic governance at home is of a piece with the crisis of democratic influence abroad."

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2021-06-29/emerging-biden-doctrine

Hal Brand is imagining things.
"Russia and China want to weaken, fragment, and replace the existing international system because its foundational liberal principles are antithetical to their illiberal domestic practices."

Don't know much about Russia. But China loves the foundational liberal principle. China complains against US hegemony and using democracy and human rights to attack China incessantly. Not the liberal principles.

What illiberal domestic practices? I read and read and could never find a statistic on victims of illiberal domestic practices. Commentators simply repeat each other's accusations against China.

Re: The Emerging Biden Doctrine

<cad25f95-c2b1-4627-a6f0-c71168ef97e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3006&group=soc.culture.china#3006

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Emerging Biden Doctrine
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 05:01 UTC

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 12:59:39 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> "President Donald Trump may have turned Washington toward great-power competition, but Biden has put that issue within a larger strategic frame. "Until the pandemic struck, Trump often seemed to see the U.S.-Chinese rivalry primarily as a fight over the terms of trade. By contrast, Biden views that competition as part of “a fundamental debate” between those
1: who believe that “autocracy is the best way forward” and those
2: who believe that “democracy will and must prevail.”

Are only names for politicians to distinguish/differentiate or to argue about. As long as the people are happy, what difference does it make? The people within China are happy with their government!!!
That is all that counts.

> [...]
>
> https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2021-06-29/emerging-biden-doctrine
>
> Hal Brand is imagining things.
> "Russia and China want to weaken, fragment, and replace the existing international system because its foundational liberal principles are antithetical to their illiberal domestic practices."
>
> Don't know much about Russia. But China loves the foundational liberal principle. China complains against US hegemony and using democracy and human rights to attack China incessantly. Not the liberal principles.
>
> What illiberal domestic practices? I read and read and could never find a statistic on victims of illiberal domestic practices. Commentators simply repeat each other's accusations against China.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: The Emerging Biden Doctrine