From: sli...@anashram.com (slider)
Newsgroups: alt.dreams.castaneda
Subject: Once more on the brink: Sixty years since the Cuban Missile Crisis
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 06:21:10 +0100
 by: slider - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 05:21 UTC

an hour ago:
This past weekend marked a critical anniversary. On October 22, 1962,
sixty years ago, US President John F. Kennedy delivered a nationwide
televised address announcing that the Soviet Union had deployed nuclear
missiles in Cuba, just 90 miles from the Florida Keys.

During the week that followed, the world stood on the brink of nuclear
war. Much has been written about the events of October 22-28, 1962, but
few know just how close the world came to a civilization-ending
catastrophe.

Both Kennedy and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev were keenly aware, as
Robert Kennedy observed, that while the leaders “had initiated the course
of events,” they “no longer had control over them.”

On October 27, just five days after Kennedy’s speech, US Navy destroyers
began dropping depth charges on the Soviet submarine B-59 near Cuba with
the aim of forcing it to surface. Unbeknownst to the American warships,
B-59 was armed with a nuclear torpedo. As one officer on the submarine
described it:

"They surrounded us and started to tighten the circle, practicing attacks
and dropping depth charges. They exploded right next to the hull. It felt
like you were sitting in a metal barrel, which somebody is constantly
blasting with a sledgehammer."

The captain of the boat, Valentin Grigoryevich Savitsky, ordered the
ship’s nuclear torpedo to be armed. “We’re going to blast them now! We
will die, but we will sink them all—we will not disgrace our Navy,”
Savitsky yelled.

The firing of the nuclear torpedo was only averted by chance, however,
because the chief of staff of the brigade, Vasili Arkhipov, was aboard the
submarine and countermanded the order. Daniel Ellsberg observed in The
Doomsday Machine:

"Had Arkhipov been stationed on one of the other submarines, there is
every reason to believe that the carrier USS Randolph and several, perhaps
all, of its accompanying destroyers would, within minutes of the agreement
by Savitsky and [his second in command], have been destroyed by a nuclear
explosion…

The clear implication on the cause of the nuclear destruction of this
antisubmarine hunter-killer group would have been a medium-range missile
from Cuba whose launch had not been detected. That is the event that
President Kennedy had announced on October 22 would lead to a full-scale
nuclear attack on the Soviet Union."

Humanity narrowly averted catastrophe 60 years ago. That outcome was
attributable both to the horrific memory of the bombing of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, which had taken place just 15 years before, and the fact that
both Khrushchev and Kennedy had no doubt that nuclear war threatened the
destruction of human civilization.

While the world was nearly brought to the brink of destruction 60 years
ago, the actions of Kennedy and Khrushchev look positively restrained when
seen in the light of the present war.

Putin, having massively miscalculated the degree of NATO’s commitment to
war in launching the invasion, has been pushed into a corner, threatening
to use nuclear weapons to prevent a Russian defeat.

The Ukrainian government, staffed with far-right forces and whose actions,
if the US press is to be believed, are not fully under the control of its
American paymasters, could at any moment launch a provocation on an even
greater scale than the August 20 murder of Daria Dugina outside Moscow.

And the NATO powers, beset by economic, social and political crises to
which they have no solution, are rapidly escalating their involvement in
the conflict.

Powerful forces within the US political establishment are pushing for a
direct NATO intervention and are looking for some pretext, whether real or
concocted, to intervene. In an interview with the French newspaper
L’expresse, former CIA director David Petraeus was asked, “What is the red
line beyond which NATO must become more involved in the conflict?”

To this Petraeus replied, “I think it is possible that Russia could take
an action in Ukraine that would be so shocking and so horrific that the
United States and other countries might react … as a multinational force.”

It was unclear what action Petraeus was referring to, but a hint was
provided by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who said that any
attack by Russia on the Ukrainian leadership should prompt an attack on
Russia by the US and NATO.

“Look, if you hit Bankova [the street in Kyiv where the presidential
office is located] there will be a strike on where you are,” Zelensky
said. “If you do this, then in a second, regardless of the result of your
attack, there will be a strike on the decision-making center of your
state.”

Earlier this month, Zelensky called for NATO to carry out preemptive
strikes on Russia to prevent the “possibility of Russia using nuclear
weapons.”

On Friday, CBS documented the deployment of the US Army’s 101st Airborne
division to the border of Ukraine, concluding, “If the fighting escalates
or there’s any attack on NATO, they’re fully prepared to cross the border
into Ukraine.”

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/10/24/pers-o24.html

Re: Once more on the brink: Sixty years since the Cuban Missile Crisis

<ojnclhdbkuuugfmrgu676jf8hqmqqt8run@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3007&group=alt.dreams.castaneda#3007

From: liberti...@south.south.com (o'Mahoney)
Newsgroups: alt.dreams.castaneda
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 17:48:34 +0800
 by: o'Mahoney - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 09:48 UTC

Brian, you soft handed dick - you've been on the brink now for the
last 10 years, saying (nay, prophesying) the world is going to end for
at least the last decade or so.

It's not gonna happen. If it were, you would look up your long
lost/abandoned daughter (Christine?) - she's in London mate - and make
amends before you go up in a thermonuclear cloud.

Or your famous actor brother, by that Irish presdigitator father of
yours...

Stop wishing the world would go away just because its treated you so
cruelly. If you had led your life differently, you would be a glass
half full guy rather than the morose fucking welfare sucking cunt you
have (de)volved into.

<op.1ujmwifa7eafsp@slider>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3010&group=alt.dreams.castaneda#3010

From: sli...@anashram.com (slider)
Newsgroups: alt.dreams.castaneda
Subject: Re: Once more on the brink: Sixty years since the Cuban Missile
Crisis
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:42:08 +0100
 by: slider - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:42 UTC

### - hide your silly head in the sand, thang, and just pretend it ain't
happening m8 heh...

that's wot cowards do!

they HIDE from Realty!!!

they live in a delusion of tooth fairies and santa clauses, happy puppies,
and everything's hunky-dory who-hoo! duh!

personally, would rather SEE it coming and FACE it like a MAN instead of
hiding/shitting myself in some oh-so-lovely imaginary hole-in-the-ground
full of shit...

i mean, wtF does it TAKE to get THROUGH to you??

how about bidens' quote from last week?

"the world is closer to “Armageddon” than at any time since the 1962 Cuban
Missile Crisis."

something i suggested all this shit in ukraine could potentially lead to
(a flashpoint) more than 8 fucking years ago!?

but it's all just politics & business to short-sighted you innit, nada's
happening, it ain't real???

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...........

ALL those potential flash-points ARE real! whether it's iran, israel,
ukraine, china or whatever, they're REAL!

(clue/hint: if the west doesn't make it's move 'now' then it's totally
lost this war and gone broke into the bargain... go figure)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 10:48:34 +0100, o'Mahoney <libertidad@south.south.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> attack by Russia on the Ukrainian leadership should prompt an attack on
>> Russia by the US and NATO.
>>
>> “Look, if you hit Bankova [the street in Kyiv where the presidential
>> office is located] there will be a strike on where you are,” Zelensky
>> said. “If you do this, then in a second, regardless of the result of
>> your
>> attack, there will be a strike on the decision-making center of your
>> state.”
>>
>> Earlier this month, Zelensky called for NATO to carry out preemptive
>> strikes on Russia to prevent the “possibility of Russia using nuclear
>> weapons.”
>>
>> On Friday, CBS documented the deployment of the US Army’s 101st Airborne
>> division to the border of Ukraine, concluding, “If the fighting
>> escalates
>> or there’s any attack on NATO, they’re fully prepared to cross the

interests / alt.dreams.castaneda / Re: Once more on the brink: Sixty years since the Cuban Missile Crisis