Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3 answers: Bosnia, transportation

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationDan Tilque
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationErland Sommarskog
|`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationMark Brader
| `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportationbbowler
`- RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3 answers: Bosnia, transportationMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<nYidnQzo0It6CSf9nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3006&group=rec.games.trivia#3006

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 16:02:31 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 21:02 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. According to a study presented this week, the combined odors
of two materials have been found to produce the highest level
of sexual arousal in women. Name either material.

2. Asteroid 1997 XF11 is now predicted to come within only about
1,000,000 km of the Earth, at about 2:30 am EDT on October 26
of what year?

I wrote one of these rounds, and you know which one.

* Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget

In 2009 Erland Sommarskog disputed some of the causations cited in
the questions, and I just said "He may well be right; I'm no expert
on this". I'm not going to check on those details this time either.

1. The man who became the first president of Bosnia & Herzegovina
hoped that he could buy peace for his republic by staying
in a decentralized Yugoslav federation instead of declaring
independence. He argued that there could be no war if his side
refused to fight. Who """is""" he?

2. Beginning on 1992-08-06, TV viewers were shown starving,
terrified Bosnian men filmed at a place called Omarska, and
later at another place called Trnopolje ["Turn-o-POL-yeh"].
What sort of places were these?

3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
"safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
forests. Name this so-called safe area.

4. After 3 years of war and hundreds of thousands of casualties,
the TV image of 37 dead people in Sarajevo on 1995-08-28 finally
led NATO to bomb Serb positions and force all sides to the
peace table. How did these 37 people die?

5. Croatian forces helped the Bosnian Muslims against the
Serbs in some regions and fought the Muslims in other regions.
A Turkish-built construction that had been designated as a
historical monument by UNESCO was destroyed by methodical
Croatian shelling in the town of Mostar. What type of thing
was it?

6. After the Serbian atrocities against Muslims at <answer 3>,
the US tacitly gave Croatia permission to "ethnically cleanse"
Serbs from a Croatian border region the Serbs had inhabited
for 400 years. What is the name of this region?

7. Members of one UN peacekeeping force were accused of visiting
brothels where women were kept as slaves and selling weapons to
the fighters on both sides, in the Zepa Valley and elsewhere.
From what country was this UN force drawn?

8. The """new""" International Court of Justice in the Hague
has been trying Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and Croats for war
atrocities. Name the Canadian judge who was appointed to this
tribunal as chief prosecutor.

9. New York writer and critic Susan Sontag came to Sarajevo while
it was under siege, to produce a classic 1950s play that she
thought spoke to the situation of the city's inhabitants.
Name the play.

10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
you're naming.

* Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities

1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
end to what city at the Atlantic end?

2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
at the Mediterranean end?

3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
near Limerick?

4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
and ORD?

6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
and ORY?

7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
or English, name any *two*.

8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
words must be given.

(Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly
used within London; some stations officially have the word
"London" prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city
travelers, and this you can ignore.)

9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
and what city?

10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

--
Mark Brader "...there are other means of persuasion
msb@vex.net besides killing and threatening to kill."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<XnsAD3FAF7DD8DA0gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3007&group=rec.games.trivia#3007

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:15:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:15 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nYidnQzo0It6CSf9nZ2dnUU7-
U_NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget
>
> In 2009 Erland Sommarskog disputed some of the causations cited in
> the questions, and I just said "He may well be right; I'm no expert
> on this". I'm not going to check on those details this time either.
>
> 3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
> "safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
> deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
> nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
> forests. Name this so-called safe area.

Srebenica

> 9. New York writer and critic Susan Sontag came to Sarajevo while
> it was under siege, to produce a classic 1950s play that she
> thought spoke to the situation of the city's inhabitants.
> Name the play.

"The Diary of Anne Frank"
> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.

Karadzic
> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities
>
> 1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
> end to what city at the Atlantic end?

Colon
> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
> at the Mediterranean end?

Port Said

> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?

Shannon
> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago
> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris

> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.
>
> (Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly
> used within London; some stations officially have the word
> "London" prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city
> travelers, and this you can ignore.)

Paddington, St. Pancras, Waterloo
> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Chicago
> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Washington; Boston

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<s9esng$hl7$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3008&group=rec.games.trivia#3008

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 03:57:36 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 03:57 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget

> 3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
> "safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
> deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
> nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
> forests. Name this so-called safe area.

Srebenica

> 5. Croatian forces helped the Bosnian Muslims against the
> Serbs in some regions and fought the Muslims in other regions.
> A Turkish-built construction that had been designated as a
> historical monument by UNESCO was destroyed by methodical
> Croatian shelling in the town of Mostar. What type of thing
> was it?

mosque

> 7. Members of one UN peacekeeping force were accused of visiting
> brothels where women were kept as slaves and selling weapons to
> the fighters on both sides, in the Zepa Valley and elsewhere.
> From what country was this UN force drawn?

Canada

> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.

Slobodan Milosevic

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities

> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago

> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris

> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
> or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
> or English, name any *two*.

Gare du Nord and Gare Montparnasse

> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.

Paddington, Waterloo, and St. Pancras

> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Chicago

> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Washington DC

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<s9fsgr$dmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3009&group=rec.games.trivia#3009

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 06:00:10 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 13:00 UTC

On 6/4/21 2:02 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
> has been trying Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and Croats for war
> atrocities. Name the Canadian judge who was appointed to this
> tribunal as chief prosecutor.
>
> 9. New York writer and critic Susan Sontag came to Sarajevo while
> it was under siege, to produce a classic 1950s play that she
> thought spoke to the situation of the city's inhabitants.
> Name the play.
>
> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities
>
> 1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
> end to what city at the Atlantic end?

Colon

> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city

Port Said

> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?
>
> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago

> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?
>
> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
> or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
> or English, name any *two*.
>
> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.
>
> (Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly
> used within London; some stations officially have the word
> "London" prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city
> travelers, and this you can ignore.)
>
> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Philadelphia

> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Boston

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<XnsAD40E249ADF2CYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3010&group=rec.games.trivia#3010

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 22:14:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 20:14 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget
>
> 1. The man who became the first president of Bosnia & Herzegovina
> hoped that he could buy peace for his republic by staying
> in a decentralized Yugoslav federation instead of declaring
> independence. He argued that there could be no war if his side
> refused to fight. Who """is""" he?

Alija Izetbegovic
> 2. Beginning on 1992-08-06, TV viewers were shown starving,
> terrified Bosnian men filmed at a place called Omarska, and
> later at another place called Trnopolje ["Turn-o-POL-yeh"].
> What sort of places were these?

Concentration Camps
> 3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
> "safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
> deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
> nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
> forests. Name this so-called safe area.

Srebrenica
> 4. After 3 years of war and hundreds of thousands of casualties,
> the TV image of 37 dead people in Sarajevo on 1995-08-28 finally
> led NATO to bomb Serb positions and force all sides to the
> peace table. How did these 37 people die?

Mortars shot into a market place
> 5. Croatian forces helped the Bosnian Muslims against the
> Serbs in some regions and fought the Muslims in other regions.
> A Turkish-built construction that had been designated as a
> historical monument by UNESCO was destroyed by methodical
> Croatian shelling in the town of Mostar. What type of thing
> was it?

Bridge. And whence the name, Mostar.
> 6. After the Serbian atrocities against Muslims at <answer 3>,
> the US tacitly gave Croatia permission to "ethnically cleanse"
> Serbs from a Croatian border region the Serbs had inhabited
> for 400 years. What is the name of this region?

Kninska Krajina
> 7. Members of one UN peacekeeping force were accused of visiting
> brothels where women were kept as slaves and selling weapons to
> the fighters on both sides, in the Zepa Valley and elsewhere.
> From what country was this UN force drawn?

Bangladesh?

> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.

Ratko Mladic (commander), Radovan Karadzic ("president")
> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities
>
> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
> at the Mediterranean end?

Port Said
> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?

Galway
> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston
> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago
> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris

> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
> or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
> or English, name any *two*.

Gare de l'Est, Gare du Nord, Gare St Lazare, Gare d'Austerlitz,
Gare Montparnasse, Gare du Lyon.

My French teacher was obsessed with that we should learn these stations.

> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.

Paddingon, Charing Cross, Waterloo

> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Trenton
> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?
Washington

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<gOidnSX4SszXQCb9nZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=rec.games.trivia#3011

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 15:23:38 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 20:23 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> Gare de l'Est, Gare du Nord, Gare St Lazare, Gare d'Austerlitz,
> Gare Montparnasse, Gare du Lyon.
>
> My French teacher was obsessed with that we should learn these stations.
> Paddingon, Charing Cross, Waterloo

Shouldn't your English teacher have been equally obsessed with you
learning the rest of these, then?
--
Mark Brader | "[Your orders are] to figure out what I would have ordered
msb@vex.net | you to do, if I really understood the situation ... [and]

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<XnsAD41E04BF4704Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=rec.games.trivia#3012

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:02:57 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:02 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Gare de l'Est, Gare du Nord, Gare St Lazare, Gare d'Austerlitz,
>> Gare Montparnasse, Gare du Lyon.
>>
>> My French teacher was obsessed with that we should learn these stations.
>> Paddingon, Charing Cross, Waterloo
>
> Shouldn't your English teacher have been equally obsessed with you
> learning the rest of these, then?

Luckily, none of my English teachers shared the obsession of my French
teacher!

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<s9jhum$btd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3013&group=rec.games.trivia#3013

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 17:24:24 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:24 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. According to a study presented this week, the combined odors
> of two materials have been found to produce the highest level
> of sexual arousal in women. Name either material.
>
> 2. Asteroid 1997 XF11 is now predicted to come within only about
> 1,000,000 km of the Earth, at about 2:30 am EDT on October 26
> of what year?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds, and you know which one.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget
>
> In 2009 Erland Sommarskog disputed some of the causations cited in
> the questions, and I just said "He may well be right; I'm no expert
> on this". I'm not going to check on those details this time either.
>
> 1. The man who became the first president of Bosnia & Herzegovina
> hoped that he could buy peace for his republic by staying
> in a decentralized Yugoslav federation instead of declaring
> independence. He argued that there could be no war if his side
> refused to fight. Who """is""" he?
>
> 2. Beginning on 1992-08-06, TV viewers were shown starving,
> terrified Bosnian men filmed at a place called Omarska, and
> later at another place called Trnopolje ["Turn-o-POL-yeh"].
> What sort of places were these?

Internment camps

> 3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
> "safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
> deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
> nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
> forests. Name this so-called safe area.

Srebrenica

> 4. After 3 years of war and hundreds of thousands of casualties,
> the TV image of 37 dead people in Sarajevo on 1995-08-28 finally
> led NATO to bomb Serb positions and force all sides to the
> peace table. How did these 37 people die?
>
> 5. Croatian forces helped the Bosnian Muslims against the
> Serbs in some regions and fought the Muslims in other regions.
> A Turkish-built construction that had been designated as a
> historical monument by UNESCO was destroyed by methodical
> Croatian shelling in the town of Mostar. What type of thing
> was it?

Bridge

> 6. After the Serbian atrocities against Muslims at <answer 3>,
> the US tacitly gave Croatia permission to "ethnically cleanse"
> Serbs from a Croatian border region the Serbs had inhabited
> for 400 years. What is the name of this region?
>
> 7. Members of one UN peacekeeping force were accused of visiting
> brothels where women were kept as slaves and selling weapons to
> the fighters on both sides, in the Zepa Valley and elsewhere.
> From what country was this UN force drawn?
>
> 8. The """new""" International Court of Justice in the Hague
> has been trying Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and Croats for war
> atrocities. Name the Canadian judge who was appointed to this
> tribunal as chief prosecutor.
>
> 9. New York writer and critic Susan Sontag came to Sarajevo while
> it was under siege, to produce a classic 1950s play that she
> thought spoke to the situation of the city's inhabitants.
> Name the play.
>
> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.

Mladic

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities
>
> 1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
> end to what city at the Atlantic end?
>
> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
> at the Mediterranean end?
>
> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?

Shannon

> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago

> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris

> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
> or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
> or English, name any *two*.

Gare du Nord, Gare St. Germain

> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.
>
> (Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly
> used within London; some stations officially have the word
> "London" prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city
> travelers, and this you can ignore.)

King's Cross, St. Pancras,

> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Chicago

> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Boston; Philadelphia

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3: Bosnia, transportation

<ii72o4Fa2q2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=rec.games.trivia#3014

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (bbowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: 7 Jun 2021 17:19:00 GMT
 by: bbowler - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:19 UTC

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 16:02:31 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities
>
> 1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
> end to what city at the Atlantic end?
>
> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
> at the Mediterranean end?
>
> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?

Shannon

> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago

> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris

> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start or
> finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French or
> English, name any *two*.
>
> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from 4 to
> more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of these
> terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks, so that a
> train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any three* of the 14.
> Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.
>
> (Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly used
> within London; some stations officially have the word "London"
> prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city travelers,
> and this you can ignore.)

Paddington, Kings Cross, Charring Cross

> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train was the
> Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York and what
> city?

Chicago

> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Washingotn, DC

RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3 answers: Bosnia, transportation

<q4mdndzUmc3CnCL9nZ2dnUU7-LPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3015&group=rec.games.trivia#3015

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 2-3 answers: Bosnia, transportation
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 00:34:23 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 05:34 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried these this time.

> 1. According to a study presented this week, the combined odors
> of two materials have been found to produce the highest level
> of sexual arousal in women. Name either material.

Cucumber, black licorice candy. (The runners-up were baby powder
and a combination of pumpkin pie and lavender.)

> 2. Asteroid 1997 XF11 is now predicted to come within only about
> 1,000,000 km of the Earth, at about 2:30 am EDT on October 26
> of what year?

2028.

> I wrote one of these rounds, and you know which one.

Yep -- the geography round.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Bosnia: Lest We Forget

> In 2009 Erland Sommarskog disputed some of the causations cited in
> the questions, and I just said "He may well be right; I'm no expert
> on this". I'm not going to check on those details this time either.

This was one of two rounds tied for 6th-hardest of the season.

> 1. The man who became the first president of Bosnia & Herzegovina
> hoped that he could buy peace for his republic by staying
> in a decentralized Yugoslav federation instead of declaring
> independence. He argued that there could be no war if his side
> refused to fight. Who """is""" he?

Alia Izetbegovic. (He died in 2003.) 4 for Erland.

> 2. Beginning on 1992-08-06, TV viewers were shown starving,
> terrified Bosnian men filmed at a place called Omarska, and
> later at another place called Trnopolje ["Turn-o-POL-yeh"].
> What sort of places were these?

Concentration/prison/detention camps. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 3. In July 1995, Serbian forces seized one of Bosnia's best-known
> "safe areas" from Dutch UN troops, and over the next few days
> deported the surviving women and children on buses and killed
> nearly all the men -- several thousand of them -- in nearby
> forests. Name this so-called safe area.

Srebrenica. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 4. After 3 years of war and hundreds of thousands of casualties,
> the TV image of 37 dead people in Sarajevo on 1995-08-28 finally
> led NATO to bomb Serb positions and force all sides to the
> peace table. How did these 37 people die?

A mortar shell fell into an open marketplace. 4 for Erland.

> 5. Croatian forces helped the Bosnian Muslims against the
> Serbs in some regions and fought the Muslims in other regions.
> A Turkish-built construction that had been designated as a
> historical monument by UNESCO was destroyed by methodical
> Croatian shelling in the town of Mostar. What type of thing
> was it?

A bridge. (Stari Most or the Old Bridge, in Mostar.) 4 for Erland
and Pete.

About 10 years later it was rebuilt to the same design:
http://whc.unesco.org/uploads/thumbs/site_0946_0011-1200-630-20130123174833.jpg
http://www.globeguide.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Bosnia-Mostar-bridge-tam.jpg

> 6. After the Serbian atrocities against Muslims at <answer 3>,
> the US tacitly gave Croatia permission to "ethnically cleanse"
> Serbs from a Croatian border region the Serbs had inhabited
> for 400 years. What is the name of this region?

We expected Krajina ["Kra-YEE-na"]. Erland said "Kninska Krajina"
was more correct. (Krajina means "borderland" and there are others.
"Kninska" ties it to the city of Knin.) 4 for Erland.

> 7. Members of one UN peacekeeping force were accused of visiting
> brothels where women were kept as slaves and selling weapons to
> the fighters on both sides, in the Zepa Valley and elsewhere.
> From what country was this UN force drawn?

Ukraine. (Which also means "borderland".)

> 8. The """new""" International Court of Justice in the Hague
> has been trying Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and Croats for war
> atrocities. Name the Canadian judge who was appointed to this
> tribunal as chief prosecutor.

Louise Arbour.

Her next appointment, by the way, was to the Supreme Court of Canada.

> 9. New York writer and critic Susan Sontag came to Sarajevo while
> it was under siege, to produce a classic 1950s play that she
> thought spoke to the situation of the city's inhabitants.
> Name the play.

"Waiting For Godot".

> 10. Name either the ex-leader of the Bosnian Serbs or his chief
> military commander, both of whom """are""" under indictment
> at the Hague for war crimes. You don't have to say which one
> you're naming.

Radovan Karadzic, Ratko Mladic (respectively). 4 for Joshua, Erland
(the hard way), and Pete.

They were finally arrested in 2008 and 2011, and convicted in
2016 and 2017, respectively.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Geography - Transportation Facilities

> 1. The Panama Canal runs from Panama City at the Pacific Ocean
> end to what city at the Atlantic end?

Colón. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. The Suez Canal runs from Suez at the Red Sea end to what city
> at the Mediterranean end?

Port Said. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. What international airport serving western Ireland is located
> near Limerick?

Shannon. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Bruce.

> 4. What US city """is""" served by Logan International Airport?

Boston. (Still true.) 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, and Bruce.

> 5. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are MDW
> and ORD?

Chicago. (Midway, O'Hare. Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 6. What city """is""" served by airports whose codes are CDG
> and ORY?

Paris. (Charles de Gaulle, Orly. Still true.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, and Bruce.

> 7. In Paris, most trains other than RER or Metro services --
> in other words, most long- or medium-distance trains -- start
> or finish at one of """6""" major terminal stations. In French
> or English, name any *two*.

Austerlitz, Est (East), Lyon(s), Montparnasse (Mt. Parnassus), Nord
(North), St-Lazare (St. Lazarus). (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum
and Erland (the hard way).

> 8. In London, the situation is even more complicated: scattered
> around central London """are""" 14 stations where long- or
> medium-distance trains start and finish, varying in size from
> 4 to more than 20 platforms. And just to be confusing, some of
> these terminal stations """have""" a number of through tracks,
> so that a train can call at more than one. Anyway, name *any
> three* of the 14. Some have two-word names, in which case *both*
> words must be given.

> (Note: You're being asked for the form of the name commonly
> used within London; some stations officially have the word
> "London" prefixed before that, for the convenience of inter-city
> travelers, and this you can ignore.)

Blackfriars (1+0), Cannon St. (1+0), Charing Cross (2+2),
Euston (1+0), Fenchurch St. (0+0), King's [or Kings] Cross (1+2),
Liverpool_St. (0+0), London Bridge (0+0), Marylebone (0+0),
Moorgate (1+0), Paddington (5+4), St. Pancras (2+3), Victoria (4+0),
Waterloo (6+3). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Bruce.

The numbers indicate how many times they were named by different
entrants in 2009 and in 2021. I was surprised by how rarely King's
Cross showed up, both times, in view of its importance in the Harry
Potter series.

Today Moorgate has only 2 tracks for medium-distance trains.

> 9. For this final pair of questions, answers used on other
> topics may be repeated. The New York Central's crack train
> was the Twentieth Century Limited. Its endpoints were New York
> and what city?

Chicago. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Bruce.

ObMovies: "Twentieth Century" (1934), "North by Northwest" (1959),
"The Sting" (1973).

> 10. Amtrak's fastest trains today """are""" called Metroliners.
> On most trips, their endpoints """are""" New York and what city?

Washington. (They have since been replaced by Acela Express trains,
in many cases starting from Boston instead of New York, but Washington
is still the other endpoint and therefore the only possible answer.)
4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Bruce. 3 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

Click here to read the complete article