Sweet April showers do spring May flowers. -- Thomas Tusser

interests / rec.gardens.edible / all good things must ...

SubjectAuthor
* all good things must ...T
+* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|`* Re: all good things must ...T
| +- Re: all good things must ...songbird
| `* Re: Re: all good things must ...deraldm
|  `* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|   +* Re: Re: all good things must ...deraldm
|   |`* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|   | `- Re: Re: Re: all good things must ...deraldm
|   `* Re: all good things must ...Bloke Down The Pub
|    `* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|     `* Re: all good things must ...Nyssa
|      `* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|       `* Re: all good things must ...Bob F
|        `* Re: all good things must ...songbird
|         +* Re: all good things must ...Bob F
|         |`- Re: all good things must ...songbird
|         `* Re: all good things must ...T
|          `- Re: all good things must ...songbird
`* Re: all good things must ...deraldm
 `- Re: all good things must ...T

1
all good things must ...

<sk0dal$o75$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=302&group=rec.gardens.edible#302

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: all good things must ...
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:07:45 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 04:07 UTC

Friday 25F
Saturday 28F

Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze.

Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant,
healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically.

Now to go go over what worked and what did not and scheme
on next year! Oh an pull out all the dead plants.

-T

Re: all good things must ...

<r0pd3i-4f3.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303&group=rec.gardens.edible#303

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: all good things must ...
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:58:35 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:58 UTC

T wrote:
> Friday 25F
> Saturday 28F
>
> Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze.
>
> Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant,
> healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically.

the big wheel keeps on turning...

we have no frost in our forecast for at least the next
week, but fall will be here soon enough. a high of 83F
predicted for today, sunny and breezy, good as everything
can use a good drying out.

> Now to go go over what worked and what did not and scheme
> on next year! Oh an pull out all the dead plants.

:)

it has been raining and foggy wet weather that today is
the first day in a while that i'll be able to get outside
and get some gardening done.

my main plans are to get the gardens ready for winter
and i have some garlic to plant.

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<sk2q99$fc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304&group=rec.gardens.edible#304

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 19:01:13 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 02:01 UTC

On 10/11/21 05:58, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Friday 25F
>> Saturday 28F
>>
>> Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze.
>>
>> Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant,
>> healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically.
>
> the big wheel keeps on turning...
>
> we have no frost in our forecast for at least the next
> week, but fall will be here soon enough. a high of 83F
> predicted for today, sunny and breezy, good as everything
> can use a good drying out.
>

>> Now to go go over what worked and what did not and scheme
>> on next year! Oh an pull out all the dead plants.
>
> :)
>
> it has been raining and foggy wet weather that today is
> the first day in a while that i'll be able to get outside
> and get some gardening done.
>
> my main plans are to get the gardens ready for winter
> and i have some garlic to plant.
>

> songbird

And this morning we all woke up to snow! At
least it means the end to Burn California
and we can all breath fresh air again. My
goji's seems to be loving the snow!

Time to plant my garlic too.

Do you have a favorite over winter onion?

Re: all good things must ...

<q3bg3i-c22.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305&group=rec.gardens.edible#305

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:19:38 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:19 UTC

T wrote:
> And this morning we all woke up to snow! At
> least it means the end to Burn California
> and we can all breath fresh air again. My
> goji's seems to be loving the snow!

it rained here again last night. we don't need any
more rain.

> Time to plant my garlic too.
>
> Do you have a favorite over winter onion?

we're not picky about onions as we like to eat them
often and a lot of them. whatever survives and stores
ok. i don't have my starts for next spring in storage
yet. i'll need to do that sometime soon. we have some
milder sweet onions to use up in the next few weeks
that i grew this summer. then we'll be buying onions
again. the larger of the starts will get eaten up or
if they spoil i'll feed them to the worms.

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<tvvoog1a83oi5t6hpm0s39h5g7kvglk5do@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=310&group=rec.gardens.edible#310

From: dera...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:33:04 -0500
 by: dera...@invalid.net - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:33 UTC

Sometime recently you wrote:

>Friday 25F
>Saturday 28F
>
>Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze.
>
>Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant,
>healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically.
>
>Now to go go over what worked and what did not and scheme
>on next year! Oh an pull out all the dead plants.
>
>-T
Well, you might consider relocating to a place where it's 75
degrees at 9:30 PM. Just promise not to drive 30mph in the inside
lane....
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b

Re: Re: all good things must ...

<io0pog54jvmp35vnfo9d4g6qlto0t5a2me@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=311&group=rec.gardens.edible#311

From: dera...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Re: all good things must ...
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:46:08 -0500
 by: dera...@invalid.net - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:46 UTC

Sometime recently you wrote:

>On 10/11/21 05:58, songbird wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>> Friday 25F
>>> Saturday 28F
>>>
>>> Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze.
>>>
>>> Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant,
>>> healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically.
>>
>> the big wheel keeps on turning...
>>
>> we have no frost in our forecast for at least the next
>> week, but fall will be here soon enough. a high of 83F
>> predicted for today, sunny and breezy, good as everything
>> can use a good drying out.
>>

>>> Now to go go over what worked and what did not and scheme
>>> on next year! Oh an pull out all the dead plants.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> it has been raining and foggy wet weather that today is
>> the first day in a while that i'll be able to get outside
>> and get some gardening done.
>>
>> my main plans are to get the gardens ready for winter
>> and i have some garlic to plant.
>>

>> songbird
>>

>And this morning we all woke up to snow! At
>least it means the end to Burn California
>and we can all breath fresh air again. My
>goji's seems to be loving the snow!
>
>Time to plant my garlic too.
>
>Do you have a favorite over winter onion?
Sorry about the dupe. I'm still tring to figure out this new and
improved (pointlesslly complicated, IMO) news/mail reader.
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b

Re: all good things must ...

<smj26a$eba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=312&group=rec.gardens.edible#312

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:26:50 -0800
 by: T - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:26 UTC

On 11/10/21 18:33, deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
> Well, you might consider relocating to a place where it's 75
> degrees at 9:30 PM. Just promise not to drive 30mph in the inside
> lane....

Ya, but those zones have no trout and come with 4"
long cockroaches

:'(

Re: all good things must ...

<an726i-l03.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=313&group=rec.gardens.edible#313

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 08:44:42 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:44 UTC

deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
> T wrote:
>>Time to plant my garlic too.
>>
>>Do you have a favorite over winter onion?

> Sorry about the dupe. I'm still tring to figure out this new and
> improved (pointlesslly complicated, IMO) news/mail reader.

at least you're able to post. configuration issues can take
some time to sort out.

it's not like this is a high traffic group any more where we
can't figure some things out on the other end. :)

it has been so rainy the past month and a half that i've
been trying to get large projects done before winter sets in.

i finally got one long garden along the pathway outside the
fence finished up and have moved to getting the gardens inside
the fence ready for winter.

we have snow and rain in the forecast so i may not get back
outside again until next week - unless i can get a few hours
done today, which may be possible. we'll see how it turns out. :)

songbird

Re: Re: all good things must ...

<nhttog13nqvju4msqrg6odtcvhchpt8o9u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=314&group=rec.gardens.edible#314

From: dera...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:26:51 -0500
 by: dera...@invalid.net - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:26 UTC

Sometime recently you wrote:

>deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>>Time to plant my garlic too.
>>>
>>>Do you have a favorite over winter onion?
>
>> Sorry about the dupe. I'm still tring to figure out this new and
>> improved (pointlesslly complicated, IMO) news/mail reader.
>
> at least you're able to post. configuration issues can take
>some time to sort out.
>
> it's not like this is a high traffic group any more where we
>can't figure some things out on the other end. :)
>
> it has been so rainy the past month and a half that i've
>been trying to get large projects done before winter sets in.
>
> i finally got one long garden along the pathway outside the
>fence finished up and have moved to getting the gardens inside
>the fence ready for winter.
>
> we have snow and rain in the forecast so i may not get back
>outside again until next week - unless i can get a few hours
>done today, which may be possible. we'll see how it turns out. :)
>

> songbird
Good luck. I'm hoping to get some weeding done,too, but I must
sort some woodworking tools and decide which,if any, to sell: A large
collection of "traditional" hand tools as well as a group of quality
power tools (all of them Porter-Cable) that I don't expect to use
again.
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b

Re: all good things must ...

<lhj76i-2r1.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=315&group=rec.gardens.edible#315

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:37:09 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 14:37 UTC

deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
> Good luck. I'm hoping to get some weeding done,too, but I must
> sort some woodworking tools and decide which,if any, to sell: A large
> collection of "traditional" hand tools as well as a group of quality
> power tools (all of them Porter-Cable) that I don't expect to use
> again.

:( i hope you can find a good home for all of them with
someone who'll appreciate them and take care of them.

i finished up one garden last week but didn't get to the
next yet. the weather turned to rain and now snow for a
while so maybe next week i'll be able to get back outside
again.

last night we rearranged part of the garage and i got some
of the squash inside to see if the seeds/flesh were useful or
not. these were squash grown from some green seeded hulless
seeds a friend sent in the hopes that we'd be able to help him
make progress on his project of just selecting out the kinds
that are the right size and shape. with only so much room
and these plants growing 20ft in random directions it can take
some time to go through all the seeds he sent me. so far i
have green seeds that are edible from most of the squash that
grew, but the size of the fruits is bigger than what he was
after and the flesh of the squash is really blah so it's not
edible unless you're starving. last night two of the three
squash i brought in had white seeds and they weren't hulless
at all so those i did roast and will eat them eventually and i
also roasted the green seeds that i got from the other squash
too as those are very good to eat. the flesh from the squash
i'll feed to the worm farm here today sometime along with the
part i cooked up to see if was worth cooking the rest or not.
not. decidedly not...

sorting beans and getting packages sent out to people who
requested some. after the first of the year i'll send out a
few more packages. it is fun and now i have some of my
original cross-breeds overseas so at least those eggs are no
longer in one small geological basket. :)

songbird

Re: Re: Re: all good things must ...

<ggn8pgprisi3cshgbeb62foacni2lq2jue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=321&group=rec.gardens.edible#321

From: dera...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Re: Re: all good things must ...
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 20:46:18 -0500
 by: dera...@invalid.net - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 01:46 UTC

Sometime recently you wrote:

>Sometime recently you wrote:
>
>>deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
>>> Damned if I know why this sucker doesn't thread messages properly.
>>
>> do you have it set up to thread based upon subject or on
>>references? i don't know how that particular newsreader
>>works at all, but sometimes there are options that let you
>>adjust what is used for threading.
>>

>> songbird
> Two choices, each of which is binary. They are: "Enable threading
>by subject" and "Start a new thread when the subject changes", which
>seems a bit redundant. I have no clue what happens when either is
>diabled but well soon find out....
oops: It's "Start a new thread when follow-up subject changes" which
is the same behavior as the earlier version that I've used for many
years.
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b

Re: all good things must ...

<61c412b1$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=351&group=rec.gardens.edible#351

From: cabl...@xxxx.iinet.net.au (Bloke Down The Pub)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:09:10 +0800
 by: Bloke Down The Pub - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 06:09 UTC

"songbird" <songbird@anthive.com> wrote in message
> deraldm@invalid.net wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>>Time to plant my garlic too.
>>>
>>>Do you have a favorite over winter onion?
>
>> Sorry about the dupe. I'm still tring to figure out this new and
>> improved (pointlesslly complicated, IMO) news/mail reader.
>
> at least you're able to post. configuration issues can take
> some time to sort out.

I have had to change news servers, when my ISP drop newsgroups without
mentioning it.

AND now I discover al the people that had stopped posting have, in reality,
been carrying on without me.

Just in time to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Mike

Re: all good things must ...

<gssd9i-epk.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=352&group=rec.gardens.edible#352

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 04:42:08 -0500
 by: songbird - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:42 UTC

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
> "songbird" <songbird@anthive.com> wrote in message
>> deraldm@invalid.net wrote:

>>> Sorry about the dupe. I'm still tring to figure out this new and
>>> improved (pointlesslly complicated, IMO) news/mail reader.
>>
>> at least you're able to post. configuration issues can take
>> some time to sort out.
>

> I have had to change news servers, when my ISP drop newsgroups without
> mentioning it.
>
> AND now I discover al the people that had stopped posting have, in reality,
> been carrying on without me.

hahaha! stuff happens! :)

> Just in time to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

happy post solstice day! on the other side of the hump now
for six months.

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<sq20ta$e4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=353&group=rec.gardens.edible#353

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:25:33 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:25 UTC

songbird wrote:

> Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
>> "songbird" <songbird@anthive.com> wrote in message

>>> at least you're able to post. configuration issues can
>>> take
>>> some time to sort out.
>>

>> I have had to change news servers, when my ISP drop
>> newsgroups without mentioning it.
>>
>> AND now I discover al the people that had stopped posting
>> have, in reality, been carrying on without me.
>
> hahaha! stuff happens! :)
>

>> Just in time to wish you all a Merry Christmas.
>
> happy post solstice day! on the other side of the hump
> now
> for six months.
>

> songbird

Merry Christmas to all of the friendly and helpful folks
that *still* inhabit this newsgroup.

Let's hope for a better New Year too with plenty of
good weather to coddle our crops and MANY fewer virus
bugs floating around to infect our lives.

Nyssa, who still has one tiny half-green tomato on
her kitchen counter trying to turn red

Re: all good things must ...

<savh9i-ct7.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=354&group=rec.gardens.edible#354

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 17:48:28 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:48 UTC

Nyssa wrote:
> Merry Christmas to all of the friendly and helpful folks
> that *still* inhabit this newsgroup.
>
> Let's hope for a better New Year too with plenty of
> good weather to coddle our crops and MANY fewer virus
> bugs floating around to infect our lives.

i'm glad to see California and Colorado get some snow
and rains the past few days.

> Nyssa, who still has one tiny half-green tomato on
> her kitchen counter trying to turn red

:) we used to have tables in the garage of green
tomatoes getting ripe through the fall, but as the
weather gets colder there's no way to keep the garage
from freezing that makes sense so anything that went
too long either got eaten as green tomatoes or was
discarded and turned into worm food.

but i suppose diced green tomatoes and red peppers
or something similar might be suitably festive and
seasonally appropriate. :)

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<sq5nmp$qan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=356&group=rec.gardens.edible#356

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 16:13:10 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 00:13 UTC

On 12/24/2021 2:48 PM, songbird wrote:
> Nyssa wrote:
>> Merry Christmas to all of the friendly and helpful folks
>> that *still* inhabit this newsgroup.
>>
>> Let's hope for a better New Year too with plenty of
>> good weather to coddle our crops and MANY fewer virus
>> bugs floating around to infect our lives.
>
> i'm glad to see California and Colorado get some snow
> and rains the past few days.
>

>> Nyssa, who still has one tiny half-green tomato on
>> her kitchen counter trying to turn red
>
> :) we used to have tables in the garage of green
> tomatoes getting ripe through the fall, but as the
> weather gets colder there's no way to keep the garage
> from freezing that makes sense so anything that went
> too long either got eaten as green tomatoes or was
> discarded and turned into worm food.
>
> but i suppose diced green tomatoes and red peppers
> or something similar might be suitably festive and
> seasonally appropriate. :)
>

> songbird

Our winter squash, Spaghetti and buttercup are spread on racks in the
basement. We will still be eating then for another month or 3.

Re: all good things must ...

<5jdj9i-hn6.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=357&group=rec.gardens.edible#357

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 06:57:57 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:57 UTC

Bob F wrote:
> Our winter squash, Spaghetti and buttercup are spread on racks in the
> basement. We will still be eating then for another month or 3.

i have poor storage conditions so the squash won't last
as long as they could, but also after they've cured and
ripened up some this is now a good time for me to get them
processed before i get distracted by other winter tasks.

the worms also really appreciate all the goodies. :)

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<sq847h$qft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=359&group=rec.gardens.edible#359

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:59:11 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:59 UTC

On 12/25/2021 3:57 AM, songbird wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>> Our winter squash, Spaghetti and buttercup are spread on racks in the
>> basement. We will still be eating then for another month or 3.
>
> i have poor storage conditions so the squash won't last
> as long as they could, but also after they've cured and
> ripened up some this is now a good time for me to get them
> processed before i get distracted by other winter tasks.
>
> the worms also really appreciate all the goodies. :)
>

> songbird

Basements are nice!

My wife has been toasting the larger squash seeds as a crisp treat for
me as she uses the squash.

The worms get the rest of the cleanings.

Re: all good things must ...

<mabn9i-ad7.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=362&group=rec.gardens.edible#362

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:43:50 -0500
 by: songbird - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:43 UTC

Bob F wrote:
> Basements are nice!

they sure are if you don't have a high water table or other
hazards. here we have a crawlspace but it is way too warm to
be used as storage space and also it is hard to access.

> My wife has been toasting the larger squash seeds as a crisp treat for
> me as she uses the squash.
>
> The worms get the rest of the cleanings.

i grew a hulless seeded squash this year and it was great for
roasting those seeds. i wish i had a lot more space as they
were not too hard to process. the flesh of the squash was
fairly bland and not worth using at all, but the worms took
care of that.

there's at least one squash available that has both the
hulless seeds and edible flesh but i'm going to see if i can
get my own cross to come about. with all the bees around here
it should not be too difficult. i already have a good cross
that might work out so we'll see how they go. large seeds,
large squash, plenty of flesh for eating and not too wet and
slimey inside so that makes it nice for seed harvesting.

i'm going to be planting more of these next season to see
how they go and if they'll become stable.

wish i had more room... always more projects to keep me
busy. :)

songbird

Re: all good things must ...

<sqb8qe$1ae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=364&group=rec.gardens.edible#364

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:35:58 -0800
 by: T - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:35 UTC

On 12/25/21 03:57, songbird wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>> Our winter squash, Spaghetti and buttercup are spread on racks in the
>> basement. We will still be eating then for another month or 3.
>
> i have poor storage conditions so the squash won't last
> as long as they could, but also after they've cured and
> ripened up some this is now a good time for me to get them
> processed before i get distracted by other winter tasks.
>
> the worms also really appreciate all the goodies. :)
>

> songbird

I have heard to wipe some white vinegar on squash
to make the last longer instorage

Re: all good things must ...

<mmon9i-shb.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=365&group=rec.gardens.edible#365

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:32:06 -0500
 by: songbird - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:32 UTC

T wrote:
> I have heard to wipe some white vinegar on squash
> to make the last longer instorage

if you get it cured well and don't damage it then it
should last in storage without any other treatments.
some people go as far as washing and using bleach but
i don't do anything other than making sure the squash
is dried out and cured and then treat it gently so as
to not cause further problems.

alas, i have gremlins here that move things around
and aren't all that careful so even my best efforts can
be ruined. such is life. :)

aside from how you treat a squash and how it is
cured then there is the basic shelf life of a squash
and some just are not that good of keepers compared to
others.

songbird