Anyone stupid enough to be caught by the police is probably guilty.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6 answers: blood and Latin American Lit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American LitPete Gayde
`- RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6 answers: blood and Latin American LitMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<OoydnbX5vtssnCL9nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3016&group=rec.games.trivia#3016

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 00:35:45 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 05:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System

1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
responsible for clotting?

2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
transfused with any other type?

4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?

6. There are two major veins leading into the heart that return
deoxygenated blood to it. Their names are the superior and
inferior what?

7. What scientist discovered the circulation of the blood?
He lived 1578-1657.

8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

9. As the AIDS crisis has entered our consciousness, we've all
heard a lot about T-lymphocytes, one type of white blood
cell. The T stands for the body part where they are formed.
What is it?

10. One type of white blood cells is phagocytes, which destroy
bacteria and cell fragments in the blood. What does the prefix
phago- mean?

* Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Modern Latin American Writing

1. Name the author of "Kiss of the Spider Woman", which later
became a movie and a Broadway musical.

2. This novel by Peruvian Mario Vargas Llosa ["BAR-gas YO-sa"]
is a semi-autobiographical story of a young writer who marries
an older relative. It was made into a 1990 film starring Keanu
Reeves and Barbara Hershey. Name the novel (in English).

3. One of Gabriel García Márquez's novellas is about a murder that
everyone in town knows is going to happen, except the intended
victim. Name it (in English).

4. Octavio Paz's "Labyrinth of Solitude" is a long meditation on
what it means to be a native of what country?

5. Name the Chilean poet, diplomat, and politician who wrote
"Canto General" and "Memorial de Isla Negra" and won the 1971
Nobel Prize for Literature.

6. A well-known 1966 British-Italian film directed by Michelangelo
Antonioni was loosely based on a short story by Argentinian
writer Julio Cortázar ["Kor-TASS-ar"]. Name the film.

7. Name the Brazilian writer who is the author of "Dona Flor and
her Two Husbands", which became a 1978 movie starring Sonia
Braga.

8. Name the Guatemalan and 1967 Nobel Prize winner who wrote the
political novel "El Señor Presidente".

9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?

10. Name the Chilean author and journalist, who left the country
in 1975, and who wrote "The House of the Spirits", "Eva Luna",
and "Of Love and Shadows".

--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<XnsAD43D4C09A474Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3017&group=rec.games.trivia#3017

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 20:54:51 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:54 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System
>
> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

Trombocytes
> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

Liver
> 3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
> recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
> transfused with any other type?

AB
> 4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
> certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
> of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

Rhehus
> 5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
> where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?

Aorta
> 8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
> consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
> heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

Iron
> 9. As the AIDS crisis has entered our consciousness, we've all
> heard a lot about T-lymphocytes, one type of white blood
> cell. The T stands for the body part where they are formed.
> What is it?

Thymus
> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Modern Latin American Writing
>
> 5. Name the Chilean poet, diplomat, and politician who wrote
> "Canto General" and "Memorial de Isla Negra" and won the 1971
> Nobel Prize for Literature.

Pablo Neruda
> 9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
> Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
> 1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
> Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?

Martí.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<s9p7qo$4q0$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3018&group=rec.games.trivia#3018

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 02:08:24 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 02:08 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System

> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

hematocytes

> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

spleen

> 3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
> recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
> transfused with any other type?

AB+

> 4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
> certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
> of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

rhesus

> 5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
> where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?

aorta

> 6. There are two major veins leading into the heart that return
> deoxygenated blood to it. Their names are the superior and
> inferior what?

vena cava

> 8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
> consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
> heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

iron

> 9. As the AIDS crisis has entered our consciousness, we've all
> heard a lot about T-lymphocytes, one type of white blood
> cell. The T stands for the body part where they are formed.
> What is it?

thymus gland

> 10. One type of white blood cells is phagocytes, which destroy
> bacteria and cell fragments in the blood. What does the prefix
> phago- mean?

eating

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Modern Latin American Writing

> 4. Octavio Paz's "Labyrinth of Solitude" is a long meditation on
> what it means to be a native of what country?

Chile

> 5. Name the Chilean poet, diplomat, and politician who wrote
> "Canto General" and "Memorial de Isla Negra" and won the 1971
> Nobel Prize for Literature.

Neruda

> 9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
> Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
> 1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
> Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?

Marti

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<s9pct5$l9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3019&group=rec.games.trivia#3019

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 20:34:59 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 03:34 UTC

On 6/7/21 10:35 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System
>
> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

platelets

> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

spleen

> 3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
> recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
> transfused with any other type?

> 4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
> certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
> of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

rhesus

> 5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
> where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?
>
> 6. There are two major veins leading into the heart that return
> deoxygenated blood to it. Their names are the superior and
> inferior what?
>
> 7. What scientist discovered the circulation of the blood?
> He lived 1578-1657.
>
> 8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
> consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
> heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

iron

> 9. As the AIDS crisis has entered our consciousness, we've all
> heard a lot about T-lymphocytes, one type of white blood
> cell. The T stands for the body part where they are formed.
> What is it?

thymus

> 10. One type of white blood cells is phagocytes, which destroy
> bacteria and cell fragments in the blood. What does the prefix
> phago- mean?

eater

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<XnsAD4459C6193FAgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3020&group=rec.games.trivia#3020

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 13:49:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 13:49 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OoydnbX5vtssnCL9nZ2dnUU7-
N_NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System
>
> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

platelets
> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

spleen

> 4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
> certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
> of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

rhesus
> 5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
> where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?

aorta
> 7. What scientist discovered the circulation of the blood?
> He lived 1578-1657.

Harvey
> 8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
> consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
> heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

iron

> 10. One type of white blood cells is phagocytes, which destroy
> bacteria and cell fragments in the blood. What does the prefix
> phago- mean?

eat

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Modern Latin American Writing
>
> 1. Name the author of "Kiss of the Spider Woman", which later
> became a movie and a Broadway musical.

Puig
> 2. This novel by Peruvian Mario Vargas Llosa ["BAR-gas YO-sa"]
> is a semi-autobiographical story of a young writer who marries
> an older relative. It was made into a 1990 film starring Keanu
> Reeves and Barbara Hershey. Name the novel (in English).

"Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter"

> 5. Name the Chilean poet, diplomat, and politician who wrote
> "Canto General" and "Memorial de Isla Negra" and won the 1971
> Nobel Prize for Literature.

Pablo Neruda
> 6. A well-known 1966 British-Italian film directed by Michelangelo
> Antonioni was loosely based on a short story by Argentinian
> writer Julio Cort�zar ["Kor-TASS-ar"]. Name the film.

"Blowup"

> 9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
> Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
> 1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
> Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?

Jose Marti
> 10. Name the Chilean author and journalist, who left the country
> in 1975, and who wrote "The House of the Spirits", "Eva Luna",
> and "Of Love and Shadows".

Isabel Allende

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6: blood and Latin American Lit

<s9s0il$pvm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3021&group=rec.games.trivia#3021

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 22:23:01 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 03:23 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System
>
> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

Platelets

> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.
>
> 3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
> recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
> transfused with any other type?

O negative; AB positive

> [...]

> writer Julio Cortázar ["Kor-TASS-ar"]. Name the film.
>
> 7. Name the Brazilian writer who is the author of "Dona Flor and
> her Two Husbands", which became a 1978 movie starring Sonia
> Braga.
>
> 8. Name the Guatemalan and 1967 Nobel Prize winner who wrote the
> political novel "El Señor Presidente".
>
> 9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
> Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
> 1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
> Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?
>
> 10. Name the Chilean author and journalist, who left the country
> in 1975, and who wrote "The House of the Spirits", "Eva Luna",
> and "Of Love and Shadows".

Pete Gayde

RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6 answers: blood and Latin American Lit

<XfqdnZ0xBcrmc1_9nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3022&group=rec.games.trivia#3022

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 4,6 answers: blood and Latin American Lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 00:02:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 05:02 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Blood and the Circulatory System

> 1. The four major components of blood are plasma, red blood cells,
> white blood cells, and what cells (or technically fragments)
> responsible for clotting?

Platelets or thrombocytes. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 2. Red blood cells are formed in the bone marrow at a rate of
> about 2,000,000 per second, while the same number of cells are
> destroyed in two other organs. Name either of those.

Liver, spleen. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 3. In the ABO blood type system, what blood type is the "universal
> recipient", so called because a person with this blood can be
> transfused with any other type?

AB. (Specifically AB+, but we're only asking about the ABO system,
not the Rh factor.) Type O (specifically O-) is the "universal
donor". 4 for Erland and Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

The ABO system was mentioned on the latest episode of "Jeopardy!".
They just asked what it's used to compare types of, and this was
answered correctly on the first try.

> 4. The blood component called the Rh ["R.H."] factor consists of
> certain genetically-determined types of protein on the surface
> of red blood cells. What does Rh stand for?

Rhesus (the type of monkey where it was first detected). 4 for
Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 5. What is the name of the artery leading away from the heart
> where oxygenated blood is sent to the body?

Aorta. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. There are two major veins leading into the heart that return
> deoxygenated blood to it. Their names are the superior and
> inferior what?

Vena cava (or the plural, venae cavae). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. What scientist discovered the circulation of the blood?
> He lived 1578-1657.

William Harvey. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen through the blood,
> consists of a smaller protein (globin) plus a molecule called
> heme. Each molecule of heme includes one atom of what metal?

Iron. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 9. As the AIDS crisis has entered our consciousness, we've all
> heard a lot about T-lymphocytes, one type of white blood
> cell. The T stands for the body part where they are formed.
> What is it?

Thymus (gland). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. One type of white blood cells is phagocytes, which destroy
> bacteria and cell fragments in the blood. What does the prefix
> phago- mean?

Eat. (They eat the bacteria.) 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Modern Latin American Writing

This was one of two rounds tied for 6th-hardest of the season.

> 1. Name the author of "Kiss of the Spider Woman", which later
> became a movie and a Broadway musical.

Manuel Puig. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. This novel by Peruvian Mario Vargas Llosa ["BAR-gas YO-sa"]
> is a semi-autobiographical story of a young writer who marries
> an older relative. It was made into a 1990 film starring Keanu
> Reeves and Barbara Hershey. Name the novel (in English).

"Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" (not "Tune in Tomorrow", an
alternate title for the movie). 4 for Joshua.

> 3. One of Gabriel Garc�a M�rquez's novellas is about a murder that
> everyone in town knows is going to happen, except the intended
> victim. Name it (in English).

"Chronicle of a Death Foretold".

> 4. Octavio Paz's "Labyrinth of Solitude" is a long meditation on
> what it means to be a native of what country?

Mexico.

> 5. Name the Chilean poet, diplomat, and politician who wrote
> "Canto General" and "Memorial de Isla Negra" and won the 1971
> Nobel Prize for Literature.

Pablo Neruda. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 6. A well-known 1966 British-Italian film directed by Michelangelo
> Antonioni was loosely based on a short story by Argentinian
> writer Julio Cort�zar ["Kor-TASS-ar"]. Name the film.

"Blow-Up". 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Name the Brazilian writer who is the author of "Dona Flor and
> her Two Husbands", which became a 1978 movie starring Sonia
> Braga.

Jorge Amado.

> 8. Name the Guatemalan and 1967 Nobel Prize winner who wrote the
> political novel "El Se�or Presidente".

Miguel Angel Asturias.

> 9. This Cuban poet, essayist, and speechwriter was a hero of the
> Cuban revolution -- that is, the first one -- in which he died in
> 1895. One of his poems became the popular song "Guantanamera".
> Havana's airport is named after him. Who was he?

Jos� Mart�. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. Name the Chilean author and journalist, who left the country
> in 1975, and who wrote "The House of the Spirits", "Eva Luna",
> and "Of Love and Shadows".

Isabel Allende (niece of Salvador Allende). 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 8 35 28 24 95
Erland Sommarskog 28 28 28 8 92
Dan Blum 4 28 32 8 72
Pete Gayde 16 20 14 0 50
Dan Tilque 0 16 24 0 40
Bruce Bowler 0 28 -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Big programs are a bug."
msb@vex.net -- Geoff Collyer