He who spends a storm beneath a tree, takes life with a grain of TNT.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitswp
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlitMark Brader
`* RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlitMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlitDan Blum
  `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlitMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<f9mdncQvt4uNcl_9nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3023&group=rec.games.trivia#3023

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 00:05:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 05:05 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers

These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four. (They may
or may not have won Oscars in other categories.)

In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
nominees in that order; and you give us the title.

1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.
2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.
3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.
4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.
5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.
6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.
7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.
8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.
9. 1981, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Louis Malle.
10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

There have only been """two""" other movies that were nominated
for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
for no points.

11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.
12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.

As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.

13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books

Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
than one.

1. "The Science of Hitting".
2. "The Art of Pitching".
3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".
4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".
5. "The Boys of Summer".
6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".
7. "The Natural".
8. "Catch: A Major League Life".
9. "Season Ticket".
10. "The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
in Baseball History".

--
Mark Brader "Never re-invent the wheel unnecessarily;
Toronto yours may have corners."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<XnsAD46B6B9599E9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3024&group=rec.games.trivia#3024

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:57:44 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:57 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers
>
> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

The Piano

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<XnsAD46C1D348681gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=rec.games.trivia#3028

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:03:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:03 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:f9mdncQvt4uNcl_9nZ2dnUU7-
bHNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers
>
> These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
> Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
> a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four.
>
> In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
> Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
> nominees in that order; and you give us the title.
>
> 1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.

"A Star Is Born"

> 2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.

"The Bells of St. Mary's"; "Going My Way"

> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.

"Sunset Blvd."

> 4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

> 5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.

"The Hustler"

> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

"Bonnie and Clyde"

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

"Love Story"

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

"Chinatown"

> 9. 1981, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Louis Malle.

"Atlantic City"

> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

"The Remains of the Day"
> There have only been """two""" other movies that were nominated
> for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
> other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
> for no points.
>
> 11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.

"The Yearling"

> 12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.

"Lenny"
> As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
> time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.
>
> 13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.

"American Hustle"
> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books
>
> Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
> In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
> than one.
>
> 1. "The Science of Hitting".

Williams

> 3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".

Paige

> 4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".

Will

> 5. "The Boys of Summer".

Kahn

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

Kinsella

> 7. "The Natural".

Malamud

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<sa1bdt$vb8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3029&group=rec.games.trivia#3029

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:58:51 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 03:58 UTC

On 6/10/21 10:05 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers
>
> These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
> Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
> a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four. (They may
> or may not have won Oscars in other categories.)
>
> In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
> Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
> nominees in that order; and you give us the title.
>
> 1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.
> 2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.
> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.
> 4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.
> 5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.
> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

The Graduate

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

Love Story

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

Chinatown

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<sa1c4i$mkr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3030&group=rec.games.trivia#3030

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:10:59 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:10 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers

> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.

Sunset Boulevard

> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

Bonnie and Clyde

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

Love Story

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

Chinatoen

> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

Howard's End; The Remains of the Day

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

Coover

> 7. "The Natural".

Malamud

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<e60f9305-0e0e-4ac2-b6bd-c8ba04a4abfdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3032&group=rec.games.trivia#3032

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:39 UTC

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 1:05:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers
>
> These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
> Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
> a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four. (They may
> or may not have won Oscars in other categories.)
>
> In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
> Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
> nominees in that order; and you give us the title.
>
> 1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.

a star is born

> 2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.

the bells of st mary's [I don't live across the street any more, and it's changed a lot]

> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.

sunset blvd

> 4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.

cat on a hot tin roof

> 5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.

the hustler

> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

bonnie and clyde

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

love story

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

chinatown

> 9. 1981, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Louis Malle.

atlantic city

> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

the remains of the day

> There have only been """two""" other movies that were nominated
> for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
> other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
> for no points.
>
> 11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.

the yearling

> 12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.

lenny

> As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
> time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.
>
> 13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.

american hustle

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books
>
> Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
> In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
> than one.
>
> 1. "The Science of Hitting".

ted williams

> 2. "The Art of Pitching".

tom seaver

> 3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".

stieb

> 4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".

george f will

> 5. "The Boys of Summer".

roger kahn

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

kinsella?

> 7. "The Natural".

malamud

> 8. "Catch: A Major League Life".

witt & cable

> 9. "Season Ticket".

angell

> 10. "The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
> in Baseball History".

don larson

> --
> Mark Brader "Never re-invent the wheel unnecessarily;
> Toronto yours may have corners."
> m...@vex.net -- Henry Spencer
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<sa3p6r$18or$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3035&group=rec.games.trivia#3035

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:06:22 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 02:06 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers
>
> These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
> Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
> a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four. (They may
> or may not have won Oscars in other categories.)
>
> In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
> Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
> nominees in that order; and you give us the title.
>
> 1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.
> 2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.

Going My Way; Bells of St Marys

> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.
> 4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.
> 5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.
> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

Bonnie and Clyde

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

Love Story

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

Chinatown

> 9. 1981, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Louis Malle.
> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.
>
> There have only been """two""" other movies that were nominated
> for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
> other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
> for no points.
>
> 11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.
> 12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.
>
> As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
> time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.
>
> 13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books
>
> Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
> In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
> than one.
>
> 1. "The Science of Hitting".

Ted Williams

> 2. "The Art of Pitching".

Ryan

> 3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".
> 4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".

George Will

> 5. "The Boys of Summer".

Angell

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".
> 7. "The Natural".
> 8. "Catch: A Major League Life".

Bench; Berra

> 9. "Season Ticket".
> 10. "The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
> in Baseball History".

Larsen

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: total losers, baseballlit

<s9idne2o255TRVv9nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3038&group=rec.games.trivia#3038

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:19:26 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:19 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.

The entertainment round was mine, and question #7 in the sports round.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Total Losers

> These are movies that were nominated for all four major Academy
> Awards -- by which we mean Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in
> a Leading Role, and Best Director -- and lost all four. (They may
> or may not have won Oscars in other categories.)

> In each case we give you the year (of the film's release in Los
> Angeles, not the ceremony) and the actor, actress, and director
> nominees in that order; and you give us the title.

This was the easiest round of the season.

> 1. 1937, Fredric March, Janet Gaynor, William Wellman.

"A Star is Born". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

(The winners: "The Life of Emile Zola"; Spencer Tracy for "Captains
Courageous"; Luise Rainer for "The Good Earth"; director Leo McCarey
for "The Awful Truth".)

> 2. 1945, Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Leo McCarey.

"The Bells of St. Mary's" -- the sequel to the previous year's
Best Picture winner "Going My Way". 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.
2 for Pete.

(The winners: "The Lost Weekend", Ray Milland, and director Billy
Wilder; Joan Crawford for "Mildred Pierce".)

> 3. 1950, William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Billy Wilder.

"Sunset Blvd." 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

(The winners: "All About Eve" and director Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Jose
Ferrer for "Cyrano de Bergerac"; Judy Holliday for "Born Yesterday".)

> 4. 1958, Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Brooks.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

(The winners: "Gigi" and director Vincenti Minelli; David Niven for
"Separate Tables"; Susan Hayward for "I Want to Live".)

> 5. 1961, Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Robert Rossen.

"The Hustler". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

(The winners: "West Side Story" and directors Robert Wise and Jerome
Robbins; Maximilian Schell for "Judgement at Nuremberg"; Sophia Loren
for "Two Women".)

> 6. 1967, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Arthur Penn.

"Bonnie and Clyde". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

(The winners: "In the Heat of the Night" and Rod Steiger; Katharine
Hepburn for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"; director Mike Nichols for
"The Graduate".)

> 7. 1970, Ryan O'Neal, Ali MacGraw, Arthur Hiller.

"Love Story". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

(The winners: "Patton", George C. Scott, and director Franklin
J. Schaffner; Glenda Jackson for "Women in Love".)

> 8. 1974, Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, Roman Polanski.

"Chinatown". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

(The winners: "The Godfather Part II" and director Francis Ford
Coppola; Art Carney for "Harry and Tonto"; Ellen Burstyn for "Alice
Doesn't Live Here Anymore".)

> 9. 1981, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Louis Malle.

"Atlantic City". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

(The winners: "Chariots of Fire"; Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn
for "On Golden Pond"; director Warren Beatty for "Reds".)

> 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

"The Remains of the Day". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

(The winners: "Schindler's List" and director Steven Spielberg;
Tom Hanks for "Philadelphia"; Holly Hunter for "The Piano".)

> There have only been """two""" other movies that were nominated
> for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
> other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
> for no points.

> 11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.

"The Yearling". Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners: "The Best Years of Our Lives", Fredric March, and
director William Wyler; Olivia de Havilland for "To Each His Own".)

> 12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.

"Lenny". Joshua and Marc got this. Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners for 1974: see above.)

> As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
> time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.

> 13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.

"American Hustle". Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners: "12 Years a Slave"; Matthew McConaughey for "Dallas
Buyers Club"; Cate Blanchett for "Blue Jasmine"; Alfonso Cuarón for
"Gravity".)

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books

> Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
> In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
> than one.

> 1. "The Science of Hitting".

Ted Williams. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. "The Art of Pitching".

Tom Seaver. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".

Dave Steib, Greg Boland. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".

George F. Will. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 5. "The Boys of Summer".

Roger Kahn. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

W.P. (William Patrick) Kinsella. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. "The Natural".

Bernard Malamud. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. "Catch: A Major League Life".

Ernie Witt, Greg Cable. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 9. "Season Ticket".

Roger Angell. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
> in Baseball History".

Don Larsen, Mark Shaw. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Lit Ent S+L FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 8 35 28 24 39 20 126
Erland Sommarskog 28 28 28 8 0 0 92
Dan Blum 4 28 32 8 20 4 88
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 80
Pete Gayde 16 20 14 0 14 12 64
Dan Tilque 0 16 24 0 8 0 48
Bruce Bowler 0 28 -- -- -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
msb@vex.net | --Matt Parker

RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlit

<762dnfvhJJZkRFv9nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3040&group=rec.games.trivia#3040

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <s9idne2o255TRVv9nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:24:25 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:24 UTC

[Reposting to correct the subject line.]

Mark Brader:
> [...]

> for all four major Oscars and lost all four. So here are the
> other """two""" in case you'd like to try them -- for fun, but
> for no points.

> 11. 1946, Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Clarence Brown.

"The Yearling". Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners: "The Best Years of Our Lives", Fredric March, and
director William Wyler; Olivia de Havilland for "To Each His Own".)

> 12. 1974, Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine, Bob Fosse.

"Lenny". Joshua and Marc got this. Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners for 1974: see above.)

> As of 2021 there have now been three. This last one is now the only
> time it's happened in more than 25 years! Again, no points for this.

> 13. 2013, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, David O. Russell.

"American Hustle". Joshua and Stephen got this.

(The winners: "12 Years a Slave"; Matthew McConaughey for "Dallas
Buyers Club"; Cate Blanchett for "Blue Jasmine"; Alfonso Cuar�n for
"Gravity".)

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports Literature - Baseball Books

> Some of these books are nonfiction about baseball; some are fiction.
> In each case name the author, or *any one* author if there are more
> than one.

> 1. "The Science of Hitting".

Ted Williams. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. "The Art of Pitching".

Tom Seaver. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. "Tomorrow I'll be Perfect".

Dave Steib, Greg Boland. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball".

George F. Will. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 5. "The Boys of Summer".

Roger Kahn. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy".

W.P. (William Patrick) Kinsella. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. "The Natural".

Bernard Malamud. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. "Catch: A Major League Life".

Ernie Witt, Greg Cable. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 9. "Season Ticket".

Roger Angell. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "The Perfect Yankee: The Incredible Story of the Greatest Miracle
> in Baseball History".

Don Larsen, Mark Shaw. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Lit Ent S+L FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 8 35 28 24 39 20 126
Erland Sommarskog 28 28 28 8 0 0 92
Dan Blum 4 28 32 8 20 4 88
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 80
Pete Gayde 16 20 14 0 14 12 64
Dan Tilque 0 16 24 0 8 0 48
Bruce Bowler 0 28 -- -- -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
msb@vex.net | --Matt Parker

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlit

<sa94ff$nju$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3045&group=rec.games.trivia#3045

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 02:49:19 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 02:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> > 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.

> "The Remains of the Day". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

I should get 2 points, not 4.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 8 Rounds 7-8 answers: total losers, baseballlit

<16idnRk6l70H-lX9nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3047&group=rec.games.trivia#3047

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:40:58 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:40 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > > 10. 1993, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Ivory.
> > "The Remains of the Day". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Dan Blum:
> I should get 2 points, not 4.

Oops, quite so. Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Lit Ent S+L FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 8 35 28 24 39 20 126
Erland Sommarskog 28 28 28 8 0 0 92
Dan Blum 4 28 32 8 18 4 86
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 80
Pete Gayde 16 20 14 0 14 12 64
Dan Tilque 0 16 24 0 8 0 48
Bruce Bowler 0 28 -- -- -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto This is a signature antibody. Please
msb@vex.net remove any viruses from your signature.