I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / rec.food.cooking / REC: One Pot Chili Mac

SubjectAuthor
* REC: One Pot Chili Macjmcquown
+* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacBryanGSimmons
|`* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacGM
| `* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacBryanGSimmons
|  `- Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacGM
+* Re: REC: One Pot Chili Maccshenk
|`* Re: REC: One Pot Chili Macjmcquown
| `- Re: REC: One Pot Chili Maccshenk
+* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacItsJoanNotJoAnn
|`* Re: REC: One Pot Chili Macjmcquown
| +* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacItsJoanNotJoAnn
| |`- Re: REC: One Pot Chili Macjmcquown
| `- Re: REC: One Pot Chili Maccshenk
+* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacCindy Hamilton
|+* Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacMike Duffy
||`- Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacCindy Hamilton
|`- Re: REC: One Pot Chili Maccshenk
+- Re: REC: One Pot Chili MacSqwertz
`- Re: REC: One Pot Chili Maccshenk

1
REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<Ov3EN.110295$m4d.24780@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303963&group=rec.food.cooking#303963

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Subject: REC: One Pot Chili Mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:52:41 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:52 UTC

The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have not made this
recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail. Still, it's so
darn simple and sounds tasty!

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 c. water
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
14 oz. beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. uncooked macaroni

Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the excess
fat. Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles
(Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings. Bring to a boil then
add the macaroni. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until the pasta is tender.

Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.

I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.

I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)

Jill

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<rG6EN.497076$7sbb.208009@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303988&group=rec.food.cooking#303988

Subject: Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:28:41 -0600
 by: BryanGSimmons - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:28 UTC

On 2/29/2024 11:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :)  No, I have not made this
> recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail.  Still, it's so
> darn simple and sounds tasty!
>
> 1 lb. ground beef
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves minced garlic
> 2 c. water
> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
> 14 oz. beef broth
> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> 8 oz. tomato sauce
> 2 tsp. chili powder
> 1 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>
> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the excess
> fat.  Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles
> (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings.  Bring to a boil then
> add the macaroni.  Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring
> occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>
> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>
> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
> that's just me.  I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>
> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)

That look like a recipe from the "mid 70's," except back then they'd
have used powdered garlic.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<e5c7a04b34e7b74b1db17331aaa72bb6@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303990&group=rec.food.cooking#303990

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:37:52 +0000
 by: GM - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:37 UTC

BryanGSimmons wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 11:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
>> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :)  No, I have not made this
>> recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail.  Still, it's so
>> darn simple and sounds tasty!
>>
>> 1 lb. ground beef
>> 1 small onion, chopped
>> 2 cloves minced garlic
>> 2 c. water
>> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
>> 14 oz. beef broth
>> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
>> 8 oz. tomato sauce
>> 2 tsp. chili powder
>> 1 tsp. ground cumin
>> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
>> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>>
>> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the excess
>> fat.  Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles
>> (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings.  Bring to a boil then
>> add the macaroni.  Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring
>> occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>>
>> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
>> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>>
>> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
>> that's just me.  I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>>
>> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
> >
> That look like a recipe from the "mid 70's," except back then they'd
> have used powdered garlic.

Jill can savor it whilst she's watching her Hallmark Channel and Lifetime Channel "romance" movies...

--
GM

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<14GcnVHa7Jc4lXz4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303997&group=rec.food.cooking#303997

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:43:49 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:43 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have not made
> this recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail. Still,
> it's so darn simple and sounds tasty!
>
> 1 lb. ground beef
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves minced garlic
> 2 c. water
> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
> 14 oz. beef broth
> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> 8 oz. tomato sauce
> 2 tsp. chili powder
> 1 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>
> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the
> excess fat. Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes
> with chiles (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings. Bring
> to a boil then add the macaroni. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes,
> stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>
> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>
> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
> that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>
> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
>
> Jill

Sounds reasonable. Just have lots of freezer containers ready.

Ours was fun last night.

2 Mexican grilled corn cobs in husk was the main dish. Sides were
steamed Gai Lan and leftover rice in a stir fry with some leftover red
bell pepper and mushroom (oyster), and black olive stirfry.

The corn grilling shows the flexible nature of a fully gas oven. I
removed a plate and put the wok insert in. Soaked the corn in water
for the afternoon then peeled the husk back and slatered softened
butter on it then spiced it with Mexican comino (cumin version),
Mexican oregano, black pepper. and Korean red pepper flakes. Put husk
back on and insert between the grill holes of the wok frame. Rotate
every 3 minutes. Takes about 12 minutes.

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<A48EN.497077$7sbb.106972@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=303999&group=rec.food.cooking#303999

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:04:49 -0600
 by: BryanGSimmons - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:04 UTC

On 2/29/2024 3:37 PM, GM wrote:
> BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> On 2/29/2024 11:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
>>> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :)  No, I have not made
>>> this recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail.  Still,
>>> it's so darn simple and sounds tasty!
>>>
>>> 1 lb. ground beef
>>> 1 small onion, chopped
>>> 2 cloves minced garlic
>>> 2 c. water
>>> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
>>> 14 oz. beef broth
>>> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
>>> 8 oz. tomato sauce
>>> 2 tsp. chili powder
>>> 1 tsp. ground cumin
>>> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
>>> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>>>
>>> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the
>>> excess fat.  Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes
>>> with chiles (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings.  Bring
>>> to a boil then add the macaroni.  Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes,
>>> stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>>>
>>> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
>>> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>>>
>>> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
>>> that's just me.  I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>>>
>>> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
>>  >
>> That look like a recipe from the "mid 70's," except back then they'd
>> have used powdered garlic.
>

> Jill can savor it whilst she's watching her Hallmark Channel and
> Lifetime Channel "romance" movies...

If you'd just get off of your perverted lifestyle choice, you could give
her a good enough rogering that she might no longer need her "romance"
fantasies.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<859720ecc560c87934a5e9ee181c7ec9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304000&group=rec.food.cooking#304000

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:20:07 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:20 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :)
>
> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles
> (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings.

> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
> that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
> Jill

If you opt for Rotel Hot it might not need any additional cayenne.
It sounds a bit reminiscent of macaroni, beef, and tomato dish that's
been around for years, but of course, that has no beans in it.

Give us a report after you've made it, but it does sound rather simple
and filling.

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<Tz8EN.107435$Vrtf.2077@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304002&group=rec.food.cooking#304002

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:38:22 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:38 UTC

On 2/29/2024 6:20 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
>> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :)
>> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
>> Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles
>> (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings.
>
>> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
>> that's just me.  I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>
>> Jill
>>
> If you opt for Rotel Hot it might not need any additional cayenne.
> It sounds a bit reminiscent of macaroni, beef, and tomato dish that's
> been around for years, but of course, that has no beans in it.

All I had was the original Rotel. I was hoping to find a small can of
chopped green chilis without the diced tomato but no luck there.
Anyway, it's almost like beef-a-roni. A friend from the mid-west used
to call something similar "goulash", which always sounded odd to me.
Goulash is a stew, not a hamburger tomato sauced macaroni dish. But I
digress...

It's chili mac. The original recipe called for pinto beans but I opted
for red kidney beans because that's what I put in chili. I like kidney
beans. More oomph!

> Give us a report after you've made it, but it does sound rather simple
> and filling.

It's resting (covered) on the stove right now. As often happens when
cooking, turns out I'm not really hungry yet. I did taste it and adjust
the seasonings a bit. It's fine. :)

Jill

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<7G8EN.515289$xHn7.11737@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304004&group=rec.food.cooking#304004

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:45:02 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:45 UTC

On 2/29/2024 5:43 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
>> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have not made
>> this recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail. Still,
>> it's so darn simple and sounds tasty!
>>
>> 1 lb. ground beef
>> 1 small onion, chopped
>> 2 cloves minced garlic
>> 2 c. water
>> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
>> 14 oz. beef broth
>> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
>> 8 oz. tomato sauce
>> 2 tsp. chili powder
>> 1 tsp. ground cumin
>> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
>> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>>
>> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the
>> excess fat. Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes
>> with chiles (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings. Bring
>> to a boil then add the macaroni. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes,
>> stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>>
>> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
>> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>>
>> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
>> that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>>
>> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> Sounds reasonable. Just have lots of freezer containers ready.

I always have freezer containers. Leftovers for a dish like this are a
given. :)

> Ours was fun last night.
>
> 2 Mexican grilled corn cobs in husk was the main dish. Sides were
> steamed Gai Lan and leftover rice in a stir fry with some leftover red
> bell pepper and mushroom (oyster), and black olive stirfry.
>
> The corn grilling shows the flexible nature of a fully gas oven. I
> removed a plate and put the wok insert in. Soaked the corn in water
> for the afternoon then peeled the husk back and slatered softened
> butter on it then spiced it with Mexican comino (cumin version),
> Mexican oregano, black pepper. and Korean red pepper flakes. Put husk
> back on and insert between the grill holes of the wok frame. Rotate
> every 3 minutes. Takes about 12 minutes.

A gas oven is not an option for me but I'm glad you have a way to grill
corn using your wok.

Jill

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<9ef9cbffe3e4ce9868da9542d388bec4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304010&group=rec.food.cooking#304010

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 02:17:41 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 02:17 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 6:20 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>
>> If you opt for Rotel Hot it might not need any additional cayenne.
>> It sounds a bit reminiscent of macaroni, beef, and tomato dish that's
>> been around for years, but of course, that has no beans in it.
>>
> All I had was the original Rotel. I was hoping to find a small can of
> chopped green chilis without the diced tomato but no luck there.
> Anyway, it's almost like beef-a-roni. A friend from the mid-west used
> to call something similar "goulash", which always sounded odd to me.
> Goulash is a stew, not a hamburger tomato sauced macaroni dish. But I
> digress...

I see a lot of people call the macaroni, beef, and tomato dish as
goulash and I find it strange, too.

>> Give us a report after you've made it, but it does sound rather simple
>> and filling.

> It's resting (covered) on the stove right now. As often happens when
> cooking, turns out I'm not really hungry yet. I did taste it and adjust
> the seasonings a bit. It's fine. :)

> Jill

Once it's rested and maybe even an overnight chill in the refrigerator,
it will probably be even better as the flavors will meld.

It looks like you've got Friday's lunch made!

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<d68480fbdd8ee940b1cc94f652128977@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304011&group=rec.food.cooking#304011

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 02:16:33 +0000
 by: GM - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 02:16 UTC

BryanGSimmons wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 3:37 PM, GM wrote:
>> BryanGSimmons wrote:

>>>  >
>>> That look like a recipe from the "mid 70's," except back then they'd
>>> have used powdered garlic.
>>

>> Jill can savor it whilst she's watching her Hallmark Channel and
>> Lifetime Channel "romance" movies...
> >
> If you'd just get off of your perverted lifestyle choice, you could give
> her a good enough rogering that she might no longer need her "romance"
> fantasies.

EEK...!!!

Lol...

--
GM

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<65e1a276$0$2088306$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304018&group=rec.food.cooking#304018

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!198.186.190.30.MISMATCH!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!us1.netnews.com!eu1.netnews.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 01 Mar 2024 09:40:06 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:40 UTC

On 2024-02-29, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.

I feel your pain. Saturday it was nearly 70. Sunday gave us a
few snow flurries. Ah, Michigan.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<65e1ea75$0$2187667$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304043&group=rec.food.cooking#304043

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 01 Mar 2024 14:47:17 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:47 UTC

On 2024-03-01, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2024-02-29, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's
>> yesterday to the mid-50's today.

Here we got 1" of wet snow that froze. It's not as
difficult to clear the car windows as clear ice,
but you still need to go to the gas station to slop
the blue stuff over the wiper blades to get rid of
the ice leftovers. Better than breaking fingernails.

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<65e1fd64$0$3158688$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304050&group=rec.food.cooking#304050

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 01 Mar 2024 16:08:04 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:08 UTC

On 2024-03-01, Mike Duffy <mxduffy@bell.net> wrote:
> On 2024-03-01, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On 2024-02-29, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> The temps dropped from the mid 70's
>>> yesterday to the mid-50's today.
>
> Here we got 1" of wet snow that froze. It's not as
> difficult to clear the car windows as clear ice,
> but you still need to go to the gas station to slop
> the blue stuff over the wiper blades to get rid of
> the ice leftovers. Better than breaking fingernails.

I keep a gallon of the blue stuff in my garage. Be prepared.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<ursv2u$1amd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304051&group=rec.food.cooking#304051

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:17:29 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:17 UTC

On 2/29/2024 9:17 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 2/29/2024 6:20 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>>
>>> If you opt for Rotel Hot it might not need any additional cayenne.
>>> It sounds a bit reminiscent of macaroni, beef, and tomato dish that's
>>> been around for years, but of course, that has no beans in it.
>>>
>> All I had was the original Rotel.  I was hoping to find a small can of
>> chopped green chilis without the diced tomato but no luck there.
>> Anyway, it's almost like beef-a-roni.  A friend from the mid-west used
>> to call something similar "goulash", which always sounded odd to me.
>> Goulash is a stew, not a hamburger tomato sauced macaroni dish.  But I
>> digress...
>>
> I see a lot of people call the macaroni, beef, and tomato dish as
> goulash and I find it strange, too.
>>
>>> Give us a report after you've made it, but it does sound rather simple
>>> and filling.
>
>> It's resting (covered) on the stove right now.  As often happens when
>> cooking, turns out I'm not really hungry yet.  I did taste it and
>> adjust the seasonings a bit.  It's fine. :)
>
>> Jill
>>
> Once it's rested and maybe even an overnight chill in the refrigerator,
> it will probably be even better as the flavors will meld.
> It looks like you've got Friday's lunch made!

It turned out pretty well! I would up using the entire 15 oz. can of
tomato sauce rather than 8 oz. and added more beef broth. Perked it up
with some Tabasco sauce. :)

Jill

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<bibu8kc07c2z$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304068&group=rec.food.cooking#304068

From: sqwert...@gmail.compost (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:04:32 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:04 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:52:41 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have not made this
> recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail. Still, it's so
> darn simple and sounds tasty!
>
> 1 lb. ground beef
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves minced garlic
> 2 c. water
> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
> 14 oz. beef broth
> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> 8 oz. tomato sauce
> 2 tsp. chili powder
> 1 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
> 2 c. uncooked macaroni

Drain a can of Rotel?!?! That's the best part! Just use 3
oz less water.

-sw

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<tsydnUB4sfIyoH_4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304087&group=rec.food.cooking#304087

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 20:42:23 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:42 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's today.
> Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have not made
> this recipe before so there is a chance it will be a fail. Still,
> it's so darn simple and sounds tasty!
>
> 1 lb. ground beef
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves minced garlic
> 2 c. water
> 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
> 14 oz. beef broth
> 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> 8 oz. tomato sauce
> 2 tsp. chili powder
> 1 tsp. ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
> 2 c. uncooked macaroni
>
> Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the
> excess fat. Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced tomatoes
> with chiles (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other seasonings. Bring
> to a boil then add the macaroni. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes,
> stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender.
>
> Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream and if
> you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
>
> I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
> that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
>
> I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
>
> Jill

Not bad! Mine is spicier and tends to ground pork based but sometimes
meatless or 1/2 the meat.

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<nrqdnRylWbe73n_4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304088&group=rec.food.cooking#304088

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:05:42 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 21:05 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 5:43 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's
> > > today. Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) No, I have
> > > not made this recipe before so there is a chance it will be a
> > > fail. Still, it's so darn simple and sounds tasty!
> > >
> > > 1 lb. ground beef
> > > 1 small onion, chopped
> > > 2 cloves minced garlic
> > > 2 c. water
> > > 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
> > > 14 oz. beef broth
> > > 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
> > > 8 oz. tomato sauce
> > > 2 tsp. chili powder
> > > 1 tsp. ground cumin
> > > 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
> > > 2 c. uncooked macaroni
> > >
> > > Brown the beef with the onion and garlic in a deep pot; drain the
> > > excess fat. Add to the pot the water, beans, broth, diced
> > > tomatoes with chiles (Rotel brand comes to mind) and other
> > > seasonings. Bring to a boil then add the macaroni. Reduce heat
> > > and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is
> > > tender.
> > >
> > > Serve topped with shredded Tex-Mex cheese, a dab of sour cream
> > > and if you like (I don't) chopped cilantro.
> > >
> > > I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this but
> > > that's just me. I'll have to taste it first and make adjustments.
> > >
> > > I'll bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. :)
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Sounds reasonable. Just have lots of freezer containers ready.
> >
> I always have freezer containers. Leftovers for a dish like this are
> a given. :)

Yes, looks like 8 cup yield there. It's probably well mixed for your
tastes but of course we are all different. For example we like a lot
more garlic than you do. Don't worry, we use more than most.
> > Ours was fun last night.
> >
> > 2 Mexican grilled corn cobs in husk was the main dish. Sides were
> > steamed Gai Lan and leftover rice in a stir fry with some leftover
> > red bell pepper and mushroom (oyster), and black olive stirfry.
> >
> > The corn grilling shows the flexible nature of a fully gas oven. I
> > removed a plate and put the wok insert in. Soaked the corn in water
> > for the afternoon then peeled the husk back and slatered softened
> > butter on it then spiced it with Mexican comino (cumin version),
> > Mexican oregano, black pepper. and Korean red pepper flakes. Put
> > husk back on and insert between the grill holes of the wok frame.
> > Rotate every 3 minutes. Takes about 12 minutes.
>
> A gas oven is not an option for me but I'm glad you have a way to
> grill corn using your wok.
>
> Jill

Yup! It's the wok frame. It's a cone with the point downward. Don
wanted shish kabobs once in winter and tried it. I've done peppers that
way too at times.

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<GD6dnTDZGM282n_4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304090&group=rec.food.cooking#304090

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:22:41 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 21:22 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/29/2024 6:20 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's
> > > today. Seems like a one-pot hot meal is in order. :) 1 can diced
> > > tomatoes with green chiles, drained Add to the pot the water,
> > > beans, broth, diced tomatoes with chiles (Rotel brand comes to
> > > mind) and other seasonings.
> >
> > > I think I'll need to add some chipotle or some cayenne to this
> > > but that's just me.  I'll have to taste it first and make
> > > adjustments.
> >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > If you opt for Rotel Hot it might not need any additional cayenne.
> > It sounds a bit reminiscent of macaroni, beef, and tomato dish
> > that's been around for years, but of course, that has no beans in
> > it.
> >
> All I had was the original Rotel. I was hoping to find a small can
> of chopped green chilis without the diced tomato but no luck there.
> Anyway, it's almost like beef-a-roni. A friend from the mid-west
> used to call something similar "goulash", which always sounded odd to
> me. Goulash is a stew, not a hamburger tomato sauced macaroni dish.
> But I digress...

Goulash as a name for stuff seems to vary a lot. Just like bergoo. To
me, goulash is often meat free mostly (may have a little) and no pasta.
Classic Bergoo has to have 3 differnt meats and is a stew always.

> It's chili mac. The original recipe called for pinto beans but I
> opted for red kidney beans because that's what I put in chili. I
> like kidney beans. More oomph!

Same here.
> > Give us a report after you've made it, but it does sound rather
> > simple and filling.
>
> It's resting (covered) on the stove right now. As often happens when
> cooking, turns out I'm not really hungry yet. I did taste it and
> adjust the seasonings a bit. It's fine. :)
>
> Jill

Happi feets dancing!

Re: REC: One Pot Chili Mac

<V-6cnW8io9kBzH_4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304095&group=rec.food.cooking#304095

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 22:07:24 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:07 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2024-02-29, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
> > The temps dropped from the mid 70's yesterday to the mid-50's
> > today.
>
> I feel your pain. Saturday it was nearly 70. Sunday gave us a
> few snow flurries. Ah, Michigan.

I'm just north of Jill and our high was 39 same day after the 28th
being 74.