Push where it gives and scratch where it itches.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Country fried steak

SubjectAuthor
* Country fried steakLeonard Blaisdell
+- Re: Country fried steakBruce
`* Re: Country fried steakItsJoanNotJoAnn
 +* Re: Country fried steakjmcquown
 |`* Re: Country fried steakItsJoanNotJoAnn
 | `- Re: Country fried steakjmcquown
 `* Re: Country fried steakLeonard Blaisdell
  `- Re: Country fried steakjmcquown

1
Country fried steak

<l4mimsF2icoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304227&group=rec.food.cooking#304227

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Country fried steak
Date: 4 Mar 2024 18:37:17 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

I bought a couple of good looking cube steaks the other day. They were
too big to do together in a 8" skillet, so I fried them, one at a time.

Here's one.

<https://postimg.cc/FfVYFj6h>

Here are both with a reasonable amount of gravy.

<https://postimg.cc/4ndQMdKY>

But we prefer them swamped, so this is what we ate. ;)

<https://postimg.cc/68vXhtVS>

leo

Re: Country fried steak

<us54r4$39s74$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304229&group=rec.food.cooking#304229

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Country fried steak
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 05:44:51 +1100
 by: Bruce - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:44 UTC

On 4 Mar 2024 18:37:17 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I bought a couple of good looking cube steaks the other day. They were
>too big to do together in a 8" skillet, so I fried them, one at a time.
>
>Here's one.
>
><https://postimg.cc/FfVYFj6h>
>
>Here are both with a reasonable amount of gravy.
>
><https://postimg.cc/4ndQMdKY>
>
>But we prefer them swamped, so this is what we ate. ;)
>
><https://postimg.cc/68vXhtVS>

The advantage of that much gravy is that it doesn't matter what's
under it. I also notice a nice patriotic amount of corn, yay! When is
the next Superbowl?

Re: Country fried steak

<d23cda349b277256fbaad9d3db215966@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304230&group=rec.food.cooking#304230

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:52:25 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:52 UTC

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I bought a couple of good looking cube steaks the other day. They were
> too big to do together in a 8" skillet, so I fried them, one at a time.

> Here's one.

> <https://postimg.cc/FfVYFj6h>

> Here are both with a reasonable amount of gravy.

> <https://postimg.cc/4ndQMdKY>

> But we prefer them swamped, so this is what we ate. ;)

> <https://postimg.cc/68vXhtVS>

> leo

I'd happily join you at the table!

For a change, try this next time. After browning the cubed steaks
remove them from the skillet. With the leftover drippings make
your gravy and make it on the thin side, too. Once the gravy is
made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
shebang simmer on low for about an hour. You just want to see
tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
is it will thicken from the steak coating.

Re: Country fried steak

<us5mch$3cv65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304239&group=rec.food.cooking#304239

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:44:14 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 23:44 UTC

On 3/4/2024 1:52 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>

>> I bought a couple of good looking cube steaks the other day. They were
>> too big to do together in a 8" skillet, so I fried them, one at a time.
>
>> Here's one.
>
>> <https://postimg.cc/FfVYFj6h>
>
>> Here are both with a reasonable amount of gravy.
>
>> <https://postimg.cc/4ndQMdKY>
>
>> But we prefer them swamped, so this is what we ate. ;)
>
>> <https://postimg.cc/68vXhtVS>
>
>> leo
>>
> I'd happily join you at the table!
>
> For a change, try this next time.  After browning the cubed steaks
> remove them from the skillet.  With the leftover drippings make your
> gravy and make it on the thin side, too.  Once the gravy is
> made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
> shebang simmer on low for about an hour.  You just want to see
> tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
> is it will thicken from the steak coating.

That's how I prepare it, Joan. IME fried cubed steaks are tough. The
coating is nice and crunchy but the meat itself is not tender.

Jill

Re: Country fried steak

<90e150fb79bafaa0a81702cddecc8db3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304241&group=rec.food.cooking#304241

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 00:00:26 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 00:00 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/4/2024 1:52 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>
>> For a change, try this next time.  After browning the cubed steaks
>> remove them from the skillet.  With the leftover drippings make your
>> gravy and make it on the thin side, too.  Once the gravy is
>> made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
>> shebang simmer on low for about an hour.  You just want to see
>> tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
>> is it will thicken from the steak coating.

> That's how I prepare it, Joan. IME fried cubed steaks are tough. The
> coating is nice and crunchy but the meat itself is not tender.

> Jill

Maybe I've always gotten an old tough cow, but yes, they tasted good,
just rather tough. That slow simmer would tenderize an old boot.

😄

Re: Country fried steak

<l4pmg7FihmkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304288&group=rec.food.cooking#304288

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 5 Mar 2024 23:00:23 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:00 UTC

On 2024-03-04, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:

> For a change, try this next time. After browning the cubed steaks
> remove them from the skillet. With the leftover drippings make
> your gravy and make it on the thin side, too. Once the gravy is
> made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
> shebang simmer on low for about an hour. You just want to see
> tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
> is it will thicken from the steak coating.

That sounds suspiciously like what Mom used to call "Salisbury Steak".
She served it over rice with a canned vegetable side, long ago.
I haven't had steak cooked by your method in years, but I know how, I
think. Mom always threw a can of mushrooms in. At any rate, it's a good
idea and easier than what I did.
Where I buy my cube steak, it's so "tenderized" that it might fall apart
when handling if I'm not careful.

Re: Country fried steak

<us8g8d$1ei3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304297&group=rec.food.cooking#304297

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:18:03 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 01:18 UTC

On 3/4/2024 7:00 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 3/4/2024 1:52 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>>
>>> For a change, try this next time.  After browning the cubed steaks
>>> remove them from the skillet.  With the leftover drippings make your
>>> gravy and make it on the thin side, too.  Once the gravy is
>>> made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
>>> shebang simmer on low for about an hour.  You just want to see
>>> tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
>>> is it will thicken from the steak coating.
>
>> That's how I prepare it, Joan.  IME fried cubed steaks are tough.  The
>> coating is nice and crunchy but the meat itself is not tender.
>
>> Jill
>>
> Maybe I've always gotten an old tough cow, but yes, they tasted good,
> just rather tough.  That slow simmer would tenderize an old boot.
>
> 😄

The thing about simmering cubed steaks is, even though they've been run
through the cubing machine they're still very tough cuts of meat. You
could beat the crap of them with a meat mallet and they'd still be tough
just breaded and fried. Unless, of course, you own a pressure fryer.
Most people don't. Simmered in the gravy is the only way I know to make
it tender at home. Although you can buy frozen cube steaks which are
already battered and fried. That might be an alternative to top with
white pepper gravy.

Jill

Re: Country fried steak

<us8gci$1ei3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304298&group=rec.food.cooking#304298

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:20:17 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 01:20 UTC

On 3/5/2024 6:00 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2024-03-04, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> For a change, try this next time. After browning the cubed steaks
>> remove them from the skillet. With the leftover drippings make
>> your gravy and make it on the thin side, too. Once the gravy is
>> made, slip those steaks back in, cover the pan and let the whole
>> shebang simmer on low for about an hour. You just want to see
>> tiny bubbles here and there and the reasoning for the thin gravy
>> is it will thicken from the steak coating.
>

> That sounds suspiciously like what Mom used to call "Salisbury Steak".
> She served it over rice with a canned vegetable side, long ago.
> I haven't had steak cooked by your method in years, but I know how, I
> think. Mom always threw a can of mushrooms in. At any rate, it's a good
> idea and easier than what I did.
> Where I buy my cube steak, it's so "tenderized" that it might fall apart
> when handling if I'm not careful.

It's a good thing your cubed steak was that tender. Most of what I've
ever found isn't. It wouldn't have gotten tender simply
battered/breaded and fried. You lucked out!

Jill