Scenery is here, wish you were beautiful.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Chickpea curry for lunch

SubjectAuthor
* Chickpea curry for lunchCindy Hamilton
`* Re: Chickpea curry for lunchcshenk
 `* Re: Chickpea curry for lunchCindy Hamilton
  +- Re: Chickpea curry for lunchDave Smith
  `- Re: Chickpea curry for lunchcshenk

1
Chickpea curry for lunch

<65e75a83$0$4689$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304290&group=rec.food.cooking#304290

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Chickpea curry for lunch
Date: 05 Mar 2024 17:46:43 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:46 UTC

A can of chickpeas, sauteed onions, fresh ginger, a melange of spices
(including home-dried fenugreek leaves), diced tomatoes, a little frozen
cauliflower, and part of a carton of heavy cream that was lurking
in the freezer.

Half of it was consumed; half of it was saved for a future lunch.

On the side: a cucumber raita.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Chickpea curry for lunch

<miqdneHCl6cWS3X4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304407&group=rec.food.cooking#304407

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Re: Chickpea curry for lunch
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 20:48:11 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:48 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> A can of chickpeas, sauteed onions, fresh ginger, a melange of spices
> (including home-dried fenugreek leaves), diced tomatoes, a little
> frozen cauliflower, and part of a carton of heavy cream that was
> lurking in the freezer.
>
> Half of it was consumed; half of it was saved for a future lunch.
>
> On the side: a cucumber raita.

Sounds lovely!

I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?

Ingredients

2 cups Greek yogurt

2 hot house cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced

3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

½ teaspoon white sugar

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Stir yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt together
in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or preferably
overnight.

Re: Chickpea curry for lunch

<65e8eb84$0$4580$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304421&group=rec.food.cooking#304421

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 06 Mar 2024 22:17:40 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:17 UTC

On 2024-03-06, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> A can of chickpeas, sauteed onions, fresh ginger, a melange of spices
>> (including home-dried fenugreek leaves), diced tomatoes, a little
>> frozen cauliflower, and part of a carton of heavy cream that was
>> lurking in the freezer.
>>
>> Half of it was consumed; half of it was saved for a future lunch.
>>
>> On the side: a cucumber raita.
>
> Sounds lovely!
>
> I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?

Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
I don't have to plan in advance.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Chickpea curry for lunch

<Lo6GN.669537$p%Mb.358270@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304423&group=rec.food.cooking#304423

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:48:10 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:48 UTC

On 2024-03-06 5:17 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-03-06, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> A can of chickpeas, sauteed onions, fresh ginger, a melange of spices
>>> (including home-dried fenugreek leaves), diced tomatoes, a little
>>> frozen cauliflower, and part of a carton of heavy cream that was
>>> lurking in the freezer.
>>>
>>> Half of it was consumed; half of it was saved for a future lunch.
>>>
>>> On the side: a cucumber raita.
>>
>> Sounds lovely!
>>
>> I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?
>
> Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
> and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
> I don't have to plan in advance.

I think there are a thousand recipes for raita just like all the
variations on tzitikis. One think I learned is that it doesn't keep
well. The water seeps out of the cucumber and makes the sauce too
watery. It's a good idea to slice the cucumber ahead of time and salt it
to draw out the water. If I am sure of using up tzitzikis I will do a
fine chop. If I expect some to be leftover I grate it and squeeze out
the water.

I like to add some tumeric to raita, and chopped up dried apricots are a
nice addition.

>> Ingredients
>>
>> 2 cups Greek yogurt
>>
>> 2 hot house cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
>>
>> 3 tablespoons lemon juice
>>
>> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
>>
>> ½ teaspoon white sugar
>>
>> ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
>>
>> Directions
>>
>> Stir yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt together
>> in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or preferably
>> overnight.

Re: Chickpea curry for lunch

<rc-dnSHbkcG33nf4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=304485&group=rec.food.cooking#304485

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 22:43:54 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:43 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2024-03-06, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?
>
> Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
> and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
> I don't have to plan in advance.
>
> > Ingredients
> >
> > 2 cups Greek yogurt
> >
> > 2 hot house cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
> >
> > 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> >
> > 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
> >
> > ½ teaspoon white sugar
> >
> > ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
> >
> > Directions
> >
> > Stir yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt
> > together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or
> > preferably overnight.

That works! I'm about to start my mint seeds along with parsley,
oregano, basil, rosemary and such. We are warm enough for indoor
seedlings or green house.