Prototype designs always work. -- Don Vonada

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

SubjectAuthor
* Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outErland Sommarskog
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outMark Brader
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outswp
+* CORRECTION: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outErland Sommarskog
|`- Re: CORRECTION: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outMark Brader
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outPete Gayde
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outDan Blum
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outbbowler
`* Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outErland Sommarskog
 +* Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outMark Brader
 |`- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outErland Sommarskog
 `- Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one outDan Blum

1
Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<XnsAD46E11B8130Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3025&group=rec.games.trivia#3025

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:07:44 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:07 UTC

It's been a while, but it is time for one of my occasional quizzes.
This time I'm going for the "odd one out" format.

Below are twelve questions, each listing a topic/theme and five items.
Of these, four have something in comeon that the fifth has not. Your
task is to spot the odd one. When you give an answer, you can include
a motivation with your answer, but you don't have to. However, if you
do not include a motivation, your answer *must* agree with what I have
mind. If you give a motivation that is correct and fits with the topic/
theme, I may award you a point. If you give the correct answer with
a motivation that is completely wrong - don't worry, you will get a
point anyway.

As a tip: it is a rather the case the four have something more
significant in common which the fifth is lacking than the other way
round.

Small warning: this one may be more difficult that my previous
odd-one-out, but don't be shy to make guesses.

Post your questions to the newsgroup. I plan to score this on
Wed 16th, in the evening my time, and I will accept answers until
I post the results posting.

Have fun!

1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, João.

3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
Serena Williams.

5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Perù),
Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.

7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

8: Literature: Honoré de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
Django Reinhardt.

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<HNydnYMHw5KBSl79nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3026&group=rec.games.trivia#3026

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:35:24 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:35 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Hudson - wholly within one country.
> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, Jo�o.

James - does not mean "John".
> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

Ceres - not a satellite.
> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

Hope Solo - plays a team sport?
> 5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Per�),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

Singapore.
> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.

Nottingham - I was born there.
> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

Winter vomiting bug.
> 8: Literature: Honor� de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

Shaw - won an Oscar and a Nobel Prize.

(I know - not an acceptable reason, but I don't have a legitimate one.)
> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

Peter.
> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

b - not a currency sign.
> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

Quorn.
> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Malmsteen.
--
Mark Brader | "It is only a guess, of course.
msb@vex.net | I hope none of you ever finds out for certain."

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<XnsAD46C15AC4369gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=rec.games.trivia#3027

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:00:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:00 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in

> Below are twelve questions, each listing a topic/theme and five items.
> Of these, four have something in comeon that the fifth has not. Your
> task is to spot the odd one. When you give an answer, you can include
> a motivation with your answer, but you don't have to. However, if you
> do not include a motivation, your answer *must* agree with what I have
> mind. If you give a motivation that is correct and fits with the
> topic/ theme, I may award you a point. If you give the correct answer
> with a motivation that is completely wrong - don't worry, you will get
> a point anyway.

I'll give this a try ...

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Hudson (not an international waterway)

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, Jo�o.

James (does not correspond to "John")

> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

Paul (not a disciple of Jesus during his lifetime)
> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

d (not a currency symbol)

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Keith Emerson (not a guitarist)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<21a6903a-fac8-445c-a44a-e45656a91428n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3031&group=rec.games.trivia#3031

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:20:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:20 UTC

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 4:07:44 PM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's been a while, but it is time for one of my occasional quizzes.
> This time I'm going for the "odd one out" format.
>
> Below are twelve questions, each listing a topic/theme and five items.
> Of these, four have something in comeon that the fifth has not. Your
> task is to spot the odd one. When you give an answer, you can include
> a motivation with your answer, but you don't have to. However, if you
> do not include a motivation, your answer *must* agree with what I have
> mind. If you give a motivation that is correct and fits with the topic/
> theme, I may award you a point. If you give the correct answer with
> a motivation that is completely wrong - don't worry, you will get a
> point anyway.
>
> As a tip: it is a rather the case the four have something more
> significant in common which the fifth is lacking than the other way
> round.
>
> Small warning: this one may be more difficult that my previous
> odd-one-out, but don't be shy to make guesses.
>
> Post your questions to the newsgroup. I plan to score this on
> Wed 16th, in the evening my time, and I will accept answers until
> I post the results posting.
>
> Have fun!

thank you, I will.

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

hudson

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, João.

james

> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

ceres

> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

mikaela shiffrin -- the only one never "married". sue bird's _partner_ is megan rapinoe, the others are

> 5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Perù),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

lima peru -- it's a desert climate with subtropical temperatures

> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tewkesbury [sp], Towton, Wakefield.

nottingham -- not the site of a major decisive battle during the war of the roses

> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

winter vomiting bug [norovirus]

> 8: Literature: Honoré de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

bernard shaw

> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

paul

> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

a - only non-asian currency symbol

> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

kabanos - polish pork sausage

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

keith emerson - keyboard not guitar

swp

CORRECTION: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<XnsAD47B456635E3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3033&group=rec.games.trivia#3033

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: CORRECTION: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:43:40 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:43 UTC

I have come to the realisation that I unfortunately had a disconnect in my
brain when I composed one of the questions. Question #6 should read:

> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Northhampton, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.
I will gladly accept new answers on this question from people who
have already posted their entries.

Re: CORRECTION: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<5eKdnVb3fLG2s1j9nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3034&group=rec.games.trivia#3034

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:59:07 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:59 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> Question #6 should read:
>
> > 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Northhampton, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.

But I'm not from *any* of those! I'll guess Towton.
--
Mark Brader | "This was the ancient Greek equivalent
Toronto | of 'citation needed'."

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<sa3pm7$1cu7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3036&group=rec.games.trivia#3036

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:14:33 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 02:14 UTC

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's been a while, but it is time for one of my occasional quizzes.
> This time I'm going for the "odd one out" format.
>
> Below are twelve questions, each listing a topic/theme and five items.
> Of these, four have something in comeon that the fifth has not. Your
> task is to spot the odd one. When you give an answer, you can include
> a motivation with your answer, but you don't have to. However, if you
> do not include a motivation, your answer *must* agree with what I have
> mind. If you give a motivation that is correct and fits with the topic/
> theme, I may award you a point. If you give the correct answer with
> a motivation that is completely wrong - don't worry, you will get a
> point anyway.
>
> As a tip: it is a rather the case the four have something more
> significant in common which the fifth is lacking than the other way
> round.
>
> Small warning: this one may be more difficult that my previous
> odd-one-out, but don't be shy to make guesses.
>
> Post your questions to the newsgroup. I plan to score this on
> Wed 16th, in the evening my time, and I will accept answers until
> I post the results posting.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Hudson

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, João.

Giovanni

> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

Phobos

> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

Tonya Harding

> 5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Perù),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

Lima

> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.

Barnet

> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

Winter vomiting bug

> 8: Literature: Honoré de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

Henrik Ibsen

> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

Paul

> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

Kabanos

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Keith Emerson (all others guitarists)

Pete Gayde

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<sa3v74$h1u$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3037&group=rec.games.trivia#3037

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:48:52 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:48 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Danube: mouth is not at the Atlantic or a bay leading into it

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, Jo?o.

James: not derived from John

> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

Ceres: not a moon

> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

Sue Bird

> 5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Per?),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

Walvis Bay: not tropical

> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.

Wakefield
(It's "Tewkesbury," by the way.)

> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

Winter vomiting bug

> 8: Literature: Honor? de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

Tolstoy: didn't write any plays

> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

Paul

> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

Eggplant: not processed by humans

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Pat Metheny
Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<iip0s1Foib4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3042&group=rec.games.trivia#3042

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (bbowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: 14 Jun 2021 12:37:21 GMT
 by: bbowler - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:37 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:07:44 +0200, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> It's been a while, but it is time for one of my occasional quizzes. This
> time I'm going for the "odd one out" format.
>
> Below are twelve questions, each listing a topic/theme and five items.
> Of these, four have something in comeon that the fifth has not. Your
> task is to spot the odd one. When you give an answer, you can include a
> motivation with your answer, but you don't have to. However, if you do
> not include a motivation, your answer *must* agree with what I have
> mind. If you give a motivation that is correct and fits with the topic/
> theme, I may award you a point. If you give the correct answer with a
> motivation that is completely wrong - don't worry, you will get a point
> anyway.
>
> As a tip: it is a rather the case the four have something more
> significant in common which the fifth is lacking than the other way
> round.
>
> Small warning: this one may be more difficult that my previous
> odd-one-out, but don't be shy to make guesses.
>
> Post your questions to the newsgroup. I plan to score this on Wed 16th,
> in the evening my time, and I will accept answers until I post the
> results posting.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Hudson (not the longest river on the respective continent)

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, João.
>
> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

Phobos (not a moon of Jupiter)

> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

Tonya Harding (didn't win an olympic medal)

> 5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Perù),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).
>
> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Nottingham, Tekwesbury, Towton, Wakefield.
>
> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

Winter vomiting bug (not a virus)

> 8: Literature: Honoré de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy
>
> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.
>
> 10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

b (not a currency symbol)

> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

Eggplant

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Keith Emerson

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<XnsAD4BDEBD3D1B0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3050&group=rec.games.trivia#3050

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:53:46 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 19:53 UTC

This quiz is over, and the winner is DAN BLUM. Yours is the glory
for the next 24 hours!

Here is the scoreboard.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Dan B 1 1 1 - - 1 1 - 1 1 1 - 8
Mark B 1 1 1 - 1 - 1 - - 1 - - 6
Stephen P - 1 1 - - - 1 - 1 - 1 1 6
Pete G - - - 1 - - 1 - 1 1 1 1 6
Bruce B - - - 1 - - 1 - - 1 1 1 5
Joshua K 1 1 - - - - - - 1 - - 1 4

Before I go the answers, I need to say that this quiz had a wee bit
too many flaws to be really satisfactory. Beside the correction I had
to post, at least two more questions had issues I should have resolved
before posting. I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless.

> 1: Rivers: Amazon, Congo, Danube, Hudson, Tagus.

Danube - all others run out directly to the Atlantic.

Hudson was a popular answer, and the two entrants who highlighted
that it is the only river be in a single country were awarded. For
those who did not - I'm sorry, but that is the explicit rule of
the game. For this question, I don't feel ashamed for not spotting
the alternative answer when composing the question. Rather, this is
one of these things that makes this format charming.

Here is an interesting titbit: If Wikipedia is to be beleived, Hudson
is not a correct answer with Brazilian pub rules. In Brazil, the name
Amazonas is only used from downstream Manaus.

One entrant suggested that Hudson is the only one to not be the
longest on its continent. That answer cannot be not correct, given
that two rivers are on the same continent. And is turns out - none
of them are. The longest river in Europe is the Volga. Nor is the Congo
is not the longest in Africa. So left is only Amazon.

> 2. Names: Giovanni, Hans, Ivan, James, João.

James. Not a cognate to John.

> 3: Astronomy: Ceres, Io, Ganymede, Phobos, Titan,

Ceres. That's an asteriod. All others are moons. (Io and Ganymede
of Jupiter, Phobos of Mars and Titan of Saturn.)

> 4: Sports: Sue Bird, Tonya Harding, Mikaela Shiffrin, Hope Solo,
> Serena Williams.

Tonya Harding - all others are Olympic champions.

One suggestion was "not a team sport" - but I had that one covered!
Exactly to rule out that option, I looked up the US Olympic basketball
team, and found Sue Byrd, being four times a champion.

One entrant gave an answer and motivation related to the matrimonial
status of these women. Apparently that entrant had failed to observe
the theme for the question.

>5: Coastal city climate: Agadir (Morocco), Dubai (UAE), Lima (Perù),
> Singapore (Singapore), Walvis Bay (Namibia).

Singapore. That's a quite a wet place, all others are dry.

But alas not equally dry. Here is the annual precipitation in mm as
taken from Wikipedia:

Agadir: 291.9
Dubai: 94.3
Lima: 6.4
Singapore: 2165.9
Walvis Bay: 13.2

My recollection from my initial research was that Agadir was a lot
drier. May I confused the row with the precipitation with the row
for the number of precipitation days. It still stands out from
Singapore, but it's not a true desert climate. And if Agadir is good,
I could just as well have kept San Diego (271 mm) which I had there
instead of Walvis Bay for a long time.

Several entrants gave motivations for their answers, but I could
deem any of them to be correct, although it is somewhat subjective.
What is really "tropical"?

> 6. Wars of the Roses: Barnet, Northhampton, Tekwesbury, Towton,
Wakefield.

Wakefield. This battle was won my Lancaster, all others were
Yorkist victories - and quite decisive ones.

In the battle of Northampton, the Earl of Warwick captured Henry VI,
and the Parliament that followed, declared Richard of York to be
the heir of the throne. Something he had little use for, because
he lost his life at Wakefield. But apart from that Lancaster were
not able to really capitalise on their victories.

Towtown was in the year that followed. Richard's son Edward had
declare himself King, and Towtown was an immense victory for York.
While the war would drag on in the north for a few years, Edward IV's
rule was largely undisputed.

The Earl of Warwick later changed sides, and Edward IV had to go
on in exile for a half-year. When he came back, he met Warwick at
Barnet, and Warwick was slain.

About a month later he dealt with the army of the real leader of
the Lancastrian party, Queen Margarete, at Tewkesbury. Not only
did he win the battle, but in the aftermath he made sure that
no male descendants from the male lines of John of Gaunt was left
alive. (Well, he did spare poor Henry VI, but he died anyway.)

....however, there was still one man left on the female line from
John of Gaunt, and...

Yes, I've been reading a book on the Wars of the Roses lately.

> 7: Medecine: Chickenpox, Covid-19, Ebola, Measels, Winter vomiting bug

Winter vomiting bug. There is vaccine in use against this
disease. Wikipedia mentions a trial, but only in phase one.

One entrant said "not a virus", but all five are caused by viruses.
But since the answer was the intended one, the entrant was awarded.

>8: Literature: Honoré de Balzac, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
> Henrik Ibsen, Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. He is considered to be a romanticist,
whereas the others are of the realism school.

And speaking of school, I had to learn this in high school, but
given that this was a stumper, it seems that others were spared.

> 9: Apostles: Andrew, John, Paul, Peter, Thomas.

Paul. Not one of the 12 disciples of Jesus.

>10: Symbols: Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/quiz10.pdf and
> select a letter a, b, c, d or e.

b = "place of interest symbol". All others are used for currencies.
a is the Euro, c is the Japanese Yen and e is the Korean Won. And
d is the Chinese character yuan, but this character is used not only
for the Renminbin in the People's Republic, but also on Taiwan for
the New Taiwanese Dollar.

> 11: Food: Eggplant, Falafel, Kabanos, Quorn, Tofu

The intended answer was Kabanos, a sausage, which is the only
meat-based food. All others are vegan.

However, Eggplant distinguishes from the rest by not being a product
of humans, and this is absolutely just as characteristic as the
kabanos. This should absolutely not have slipped through! I did
realise the issue before someone actually entered eggplant, though,
and I decided that I would accept eggplant without motivation.

A case can also be made for Quorn, since it is the only one which
is a brand name. This was on my radar already when working with the
question, and I would accepted it, had someone given that as a
motivation.

I did have an alternative to eggplant that would also have addressed
the Quorn issue, to wit Oumph. But while it seems to be readily
avilable here in Sweden, I don't know well-known it is internationally.
It's a warning sign that there is no article Oumph in Wikipedia.

> 12: Music: Keith Emerson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page,
> Django Reinhardt.

Keith Emerson was a great keyboard player. The others are or were
guitar players.

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<BqudnaiuE5Nm9Ff9nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3051&group=rec.games.trivia#3051

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 16:15:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:15 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> Winter vomiting bug. There is vaccine in use against this
> disease. Wikipedia mentions a trial, but only in phase one.

I take it that a word was omitted here,

> d is the Chinese character yuan, but this character is used not only
> for the Renminbin in the People's Republic, but also on Taiwan for
> the New Taiwanese Dollar.

I was wondering about that one!

Thanks for the contest, and well done to Dan Blum.
--
Mark Brader "You have a truly warped mind.
Toronto I admire that in a person."

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<sadqqj$93b$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3052&group=rec.games.trivia#3052

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:35:15 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:35 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> This quiz is over, and the winner is DAN BLUM. Yours is the glory
> for the next 24 hours!

Thank you! I will bask in it, which I think is the proper procedure.

Thanks for running the quiz.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - Odd one out

<XnsAD4BF1867C0FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3053&group=rec.games.trivia#3053

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 23:44:34 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Winter vomiting bug. There is vaccine in use against this
>> disease. Wikipedia mentions a trial, but only in phase one.
>
> I take it that a word was omitted here,

Correct. There is no vaccine for the winter womiting thing. There are
for the others.