Since we have to speak well of the dead, let's knock them while they're alive. -- John Sloan

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Ping Bruce

SubjectAuthor
* Ping Brucelucretia
+- Re: Ping BruceGM
+* Re: Ping Brucejmcquown
|`- Re: Ping BruceBruce
`* Re: Ping BruceBruce
 +* Re: Ping BruceEd P
 |+* Re: Ping BruceBruce
 ||`* Re: Ping Brucesongbird
 || `* Re: Ping BruceBruce
 ||  `* Re: Ping Brucesongbird
 ||   `* Re: Ping BruceBruce
 ||    `* Re: Ping Brucesongbird
 ||     +* Re: Ping BruceCindy Hamilton
 ||     |`- Re: Ping Brucesongbird
 ||     `- Re: Ping BruceBruce
 |`* Re: Ping BruceGM
 | `* Re: Ping BruceEd P
 |  +* Re: Ping BruceHank Rogers
 |  |`* Re: Ping BruceGM
 |  | `* Re: Ping BruceEd P
 |  |  +* Re: Ping BruceGM
 |  |  |`- Re: Ping BruceEd Pawlowski
 |  |  `* Re: Ping BruceGM
 |  |   `* Re: Ping BruceEd P
 |  |    `- Re: Ping BruceGM
 |  +- Re: Ping BruceGM
 |  `* Re: Ping Brucejmcquown
 |   `- Re: Ping BruceWilliam Price
 `* Re: Ping BruceD
  `* Re: Ping BruceBruce
   `- Re: Ping BruceD

Pages:12
Re: Ping Bruce

<dbihck-k9a.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305700&group=rec.food.cooking#305700

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Ping Bruce
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:16:45 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 22:16 UTC

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:37:12 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>>Bruce wrote:
>>> Yes, why not have both? Just because you have orange juice doesn't
>>> mean nobody buys coca cola.
>>
>> both of those turn out to be bad choices for health but
>>likely most people don't care enough. as the stomach churns...
>>or as the world turns...
>
> At least there are also good things in orange juice.

much better to eat an orange. there's not much left in
orange juice. they have to prop it up right before shipping
it to the packaging companies.

songbird

Re: Ping Bruce

<ut66r3$3djnl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305713&group=rec.food.cooking#305713

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:41:22 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 07:41 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:16:45 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:37:12 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> both of those turn out to be bad choices for health but
>>>likely most people don't care enough. as the stomach churns...
>>>or as the world turns...
>>
>> At least there are also good things in orange juice.
>
> much better to eat an orange. there's not much left in
>orange juice. they have to prop it up right before shipping
>it to the packaging companies.

You can juice your own oranges. I do it with mandarins a couple of
weeks a year. One tree produces so much that I don't know what else to
do with them, except give them away. Six juiced mandarins per
breakfast. That must be a lot of sugar, but also a lot of good stuff.

Re: Ping Bruce

<ib6jck-mn5.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305742&group=rec.food.cooking#305742

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:04:18 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:04 UTC

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:16:45 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> At least there are also good things in orange juice.
>>
>> much better to eat an orange. there's not much left in
>>orange juice. they have to prop it up right before shipping
>>it to the packaging companies.
>
> You can juice your own oranges. I do it with mandarins a couple of
> weeks a year. One tree produces so much that I don't know what else to
> do with them, except give them away. Six juiced mandarins per
> breakfast. That must be a lot of sugar, but also a lot of good stuff.

fresh squeezed is better, but for most people that's not
a common option and they think that buying frozen concentrate
or bottled orange juice at the store is good for you. it is
not all that good for people. you are much better off buying
some oranges, limes or lemons and eating those instead (pulp
and all) if you are looking for a good source of nutrients.

processing destroys the flavor and the fiber. home squeezed
will have the flavor but you're again losing most of the fiber
and other nutrients related to the pulp and skins which won't
hurt you at all to eat instead.

the juicing craze pretty much was a huge farce. take good
food and destroy it and then think it's healthy. the only
thing healthy about it was that it wasn't junk food they
were eating/drinking instead. fiber is critical. don't
mess it up.

songbird

Re: Ping Bruce

<65f6f709$0$6412$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305755&group=rec.food.cooking#305755

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 17 Mar 2024 13:58:34 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:58 UTC

On 2024-03-17, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:16:45 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
>> wrote:

>>> much better to eat an orange. there's not much left in
>>>orange juice. they have to prop it up right before shipping
>>>it to the packaging companies.
>>
>> You can juice your own oranges. I do it with mandarins a couple of
>> weeks a year. One tree produces so much that I don't know what else to
>> do with them, except give them away. Six juiced mandarins per
>> breakfast. That must be a lot of sugar, but also a lot of good stuff.
>
> fresh squeezed is better, but for most people that's not
> a common option and they think that buying frozen concentrate
> or bottled orange juice at the store is good for you. it is
> not all that good for people. you are much better off buying
> some oranges, limes or lemons and eating those instead (pulp
> and all) if you are looking for a good source of nutrients.
>
> processing destroys the flavor and the fiber. home squeezed
> will have the flavor but you're again losing most of the fiber
> and other nutrients related to the pulp and skins which won't
> hurt you at all to eat instead.
>
> the juicing craze pretty much was a huge farce. take good
> food and destroy it and then think it's healthy. the only
> thing healthy about it was that it wasn't junk food they
> were eating/drinking instead. fiber is critical. don't
> mess it up.

Meh. I don't feel a bit bad about my annual glass (or two)
of orange juice from concentrate. Next year I might buy some
oranges and squeeze them myself, just because it tastes better.

I don't get juicing, or smoothies. I want to eat my food, not
drink it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Ping Bruce

<ut7fpg$3m98p$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305805&group=rec.food.cooking#305805

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 06:20:15 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:20 UTC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:04:18 -0400, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> You can juice your own oranges. I do it with mandarins a couple of
>> weeks a year. One tree produces so much that I don't know what else to
>> do with them, except give them away. Six juiced mandarins per
>> breakfast. That must be a lot of sugar, but also a lot of good stuff.
>
> fresh squeezed is better, but for most people that's not
>a common option and they think that buying frozen concentrate
>or bottled orange juice at the store is good for you. it is
>not all that good for people. you are much better off buying
>some oranges, limes or lemons and eating those instead (pulp
>and all) if you are looking for a good source of nutrients.
>
> processing destroys the flavor and the fiber. home squeezed
>will have the flavor but you're again losing most of the fiber
>and other nutrients related to the pulp and skins which won't
>hurt you at all to eat instead.
>
> the juicing craze pretty much was a huge farce. take good
>food and destroy it and then think it's healthy. the only
>thing healthy about it was that it wasn't junk food they
>were eating/drinking instead. fiber is critical. don't
>mess it up.

True. They concentrate it, transport it and then add water to
reconstitute it. Apparently, in that process flavour is lost, so they
add artificial or "natural" flavours to make up for that. If you want
the juice, better squeeze them yourself and have it in moderation,
sugar wise.

Re: Ping Bruce

<umolck-034.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305891&group=rec.food.cooking#305891

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:29:50 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:29 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-03-17, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> You can juice your own oranges. I do it with mandarins a couple of
>>> weeks a year. One tree produces so much that I don't know what else to
>>> do with them, except give them away. Six juiced mandarins per
>>> breakfast. That must be a lot of sugar, but also a lot of good stuff.
>>
>> fresh squeezed is better, but for most people that's not
>> a common option and they think that buying frozen concentrate
>> or bottled orange juice at the store is good for you. it is
>> not all that good for people. you are much better off buying
>> some oranges, limes or lemons and eating those instead (pulp
>> and all) if you are looking for a good source of nutrients.
>>
>> processing destroys the flavor and the fiber. home squeezed
>> will have the flavor but you're again losing most of the fiber
>> and other nutrients related to the pulp and skins which won't
>> hurt you at all to eat instead.
>>
>> the juicing craze pretty much was a huge farce. take good
>> food and destroy it and then think it's healthy. the only
>> thing healthy about it was that it wasn't junk food they
>> were eating/drinking instead. fiber is critical. don't
>> mess it up.
>
> Meh. I don't feel a bit bad about my annual glass (or two)
> of orange juice from concentrate. Next year I might buy some
> oranges and squeeze them myself, just because it tastes better.

you're obviously a person who wasn't at much risk of
issues from a few glasses of mangled oranges then...
unless you're diabetic already and avoiding it to
begin with, but then you'd know what risks you were
taking, so again, not a likely person to which my
comments actually applied.

> I don't get juicing, or smoothies. I want to eat my food, not
> drink it.

yes, pretty much same here. i can drink water when
i'm thirsty. the closest i come to a smoothy these
days is an every-other-day bowl of bran flakes which
are warmed up so they turn into mush, but at least
then they are fully hydrated (and warm). i probably
won't like them as much when it gets warm but we'll
cross that bridge when we come to it...

songbird