The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -- Muriel Rukeyser

interests / rec.food.cooking / Wine shrinkflation

SubjectAuthor
* Wine shrinkflationBryanGSimmons
+- Re: Wine shrinkflationCindy Hamilton
`* Re: Wine shrinkflationMike Duffy
 +* Re: Wine shrinkflationGraham
 |+- Re: Wine shrinkflationBruce
 |`* Re: Wine shrinkflationBryanGSimmons
 | `- Re: Wine shrinkflationBruce
 +- Re: Wine shrinkflationjmcquown
 `- Re: Wine shrinkflationBryanGSimmons

1
Wine shrinkflation

<65f99cf0$0$876054$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305991&group=rec.food.cooking#305991

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 09:10:50 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Subject: Wine shrinkflation
 by: BryanGSimmons - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:10 UTC

Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.

Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
sweetened with simple syrup made with allulose for a keto friendly
beverage. Four ounces 13.5% sauv blanc + 1 ounce keto simple syrup + 7
ounces sparkling water = a 12 ounce beverage that is 4.5% alcohol, which
is about the ABV of light beer, with less than half the digestible carbs.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<65f9ae05$0$2350512$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=305995&group=rec.food.cooking#305995

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: Wine shrinkflation
Date: 19 Mar 2024 15:23:49 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:23 UTC

On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:
> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>
> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
> sweetened with simple syrup made with allulose for a keto friendly
> beverage. Four ounces 13.5% sauv blanc + 1 ounce keto simple syrup + 7
> ounces sparkling water = a 12 ounce beverage that is 4.5% alcohol, which
> is about the ABV of light beer, with less than half the digestible carbs.

Or one could stop drinking altogether.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<65f9e6ef$0$6408$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306008&group=rec.food.cooking#306008

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 19 Mar 2024 19:26:39 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 19:26 UTC

On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:

> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>
> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
> [...] allulose.

Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.

I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.

From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<65f9f025$0$4201$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306009&group=rec.food.cooking#306009

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:05:57 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 20:05 UTC

On 2024-03-19 1:26 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
>> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>>
>> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
>> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
>> [...] allulose.
>
> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>
> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>
> From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["

Much like Bryan's posts:-)

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<utcu11$11i1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306017&group=rec.food.cooking#306017

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:53:51 +1100
 by: Bruce - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 20:53 UTC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:05:57 -0600, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-03-19 1:26 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>>
>>> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
>>> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>>>
>>> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
>>> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
>>> [...] allulose.
>>
>> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>>
>> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>>
>> From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
>> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["
>>
>Much like Bryan's posts:-)

Especially when he quotes from his book.

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<utd506$12rg2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306028&group=rec.food.cooking#306028

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 18:52:48 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:52 UTC

On 3/19/2024 3:26 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
>> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>>
>> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
>> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
>> [...] allulose.
>
> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>
> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>
> From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["

Isn't that what everyone wants from a "wine spritzer"? LOL A wine
spritzer is merely wine combined with a spritz of club soda. Hence the
name "spritzer".

Jill

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<65fac509$0$876041$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306060&group=rec.food.cooking#306060

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 06:14:09 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:14 UTC

On 3/19/2024 3:05 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2024-03-19 1:26 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>>
>>> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
>>> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>>>
>>> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
>>> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
>>> [...] allulose.
>>
>> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>>
>> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>>
>>  From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
>> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["
>>
> Much like Bryan's posts:-)

Why is it that the Canadians here are such boring persons?
The only exception is when Dave Smith posts about Big Niece. I miss the
Big Niece stories. They are the only thing of value about ossifer Dave.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<65fac5a5$0$876042$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306061&group=rec.food.cooking#306061

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 06:16:45 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:16 UTC

On 3/19/2024 2:26 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-03-19, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> Today, while perusing a new grocery store ad, I noticed that wines that
>> used to be sold in 1.75 liter bottles are now in 1.5 liter bottles.
>>
>> Thinking about wine got me thinking about wine spritzers, and it
>> occurred to me that they could be made with a very dry wine, and
>> [...] allulose.
>
> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>
> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>
> From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["

There's no question that a significant percentage of persons do
experience GI discomfort above a certain level of consumption of
allulose. The study below suggests limiting to 2 tablespoons at a time,
and 4 tablespoons per day (for a 60kg person).

"In conclusion, a major aim of our study was to compare the digestive
tolerance associated with D-allulose consumption throughout the day, in
the aforementioned two manners. We identified the maximum single dose of
D-allulose to be 0.4 g allulose/kg·BW for occasional ingestion and the
maximum total daily intake for this sugar substitute to be 0.9 g
allulose/kg·BW for regular ingestion. In other words, the maximum single
dose of D-allulose for adults with a mean body weight of 60 kg was 24 g,
and up to 54 g can be consumed daily without any side effects."
source-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315886/

There are also documented positive effects, in addition to the aesthetic
pleasure.

"Multiple comparison analysis showed that d-allulose supplementation in
overweight or obese subjects led to a significant decrease in body fat
mass, BMI, and body fat percentage. In comparing results before the
study and during the follow up to the study, d-allulose supplementation
was observed to reduce body weight, body fat mass, BMI, and body fat
percentage. In addition, multiple comparison analysis of CT scan results
indicated that the total abdominal fat area and subcutaneous fat area
were significantly decreased following high allulose supplementation. In
comparing results before the study and during the follow up to the
study, low dose d-allulose reduced the total abdominal fat area only;
however, high dose d-allulose reduced both the total abdominal fat area
and subcutaneous fat area."
source-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852736/

"...our findings suggest that 5% dietary d-allulose led to the
normalization of the metabolic status of diet-induced obesity by
altering lipid-regulating enzyme activities..."
source--
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mnfr.201500771

"...these results indicate that the d-psicose diet decreases
lipogenesis, increases fatty acid oxidation, and enhances 24 h energy
expenditure, leading to d-psicose’s potential for weight management."
source-- https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf502535p

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Wine shrinkflation

<utf22b$1isk6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306070&group=rec.food.cooking#306070

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 03:15:04 +1100
 by: Bruce - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:15 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 06:14:09 -0500, BryanGSimmons
<bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/19/2024 3:05 PM, Graham wrote:
>> On 2024-03-19 1:26 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like an ingredient in a 'concoction' as you are wont to say.
>>>
>>> I had to look it up; it is banned in Canada for safety reasons.
>>>
>>>  From the Wikipedia entry: " allulose can result in unpleasant
>>> symptoms such as flatulence, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea.["
>>>
>> Much like Bryan's posts:-)
> >
>Why is it that the Canadians here are such boring persons?
>The only exception is when Dave Smith posts about Big Niece. I miss the
>Big Niece stories. They are the only thing of value about ossifer Dave.

What's so interesting? She's one of many people he hates. She eats a
lot. Oh, what wonderful entertainment!