I'd just as soon kiss a Wookie. -- Princess Leia Organa

interests / rec.food.cooking / Beef broth fixin's

SubjectAuthor
* Beef broth fixin'sLeonard Blaisdell
+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sJanet
|+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sjmcquown
||`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sDave Smith
|| `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sjmcquown
|+- Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
|`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sGraham
| +* Re: Beef broth fixin'sDave Smith
| |`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sGraham
| | `* Re: Beef broth fixin'sCindy Hamilton
| |  `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sDave Smith
| +* Re: Beef broth fixin'sItsJoanNotJoAnn
| |+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sGraham
| ||+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sCindy Hamilton
| ||`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
| || `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sGraham
| |`- Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sHank Rogers
| +* Re: Beef broth fixin'sEd Pawlowski
| |`- Re: Beef broth fixin'sJanet
| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sCindy Hamilton
| `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sJanet
+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sItsJoanNotJoAnn
|+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sjmcquown
||+- Re: Beef broth fixin'sHank Rogers
||`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sLeonard Blaisdell
|| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sjmcquown
|| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
|| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sBruce
|| +- Re: Beef broth fixin'slucretia
|| +* Re: Beef broth fixin'sItsJoanNotJoAnn
|| |`- Re: Beef broth fixin'sLeonard Blaisdell
|| `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sGraham
|`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sHank Rogers
| `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sItsJoanNotJoAnn
+- Re: Beef broth fixin'sGM
+* Re: Beef broth fixin'sEd P
|`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sLeonard Blaisdell
| `* Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
|  `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sLeonard Blaisdell
`* Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
 `* Re: Beef broth fixin'sjmcquown
  +- Re: Beef broth fixin'sS Viemeister
  `* Re: Beef broth fixin'sDennis Kane
   `* Re: Beef broth fixin'sBruce
    `- Re: Beef broth fixin'sD

Pages:12
Beef broth fixin's

<l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306083&group=rec.food.cooking#306083

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Beef broth fixin's
Date: 20 Mar 2024 20:22:08 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:22 UTC

When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.

<https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>

leo

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<MPG.40655ee38c4fed62989c12@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306086&group=rec.food.cooking#306086

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Beef broth fixin's
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:00:59 -0000
 by: Janet - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...

> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>
> leo

Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves

Janet UK

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<53c4c01bf772633cee000f13255a8121@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306087&group=rec.food.cooking#306087

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:04:35 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:04 UTC

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.

> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>

> leo

Maybe a carrot, a few sprigs of parsley, and a dozen or so of whole
peppercorns? If you don't relish the idea of straining, maybe tie
up the parsley and peppercorns in a few layers of cheesecloth? Your
wife could even make a few washable spice bags out of muslin and
kitchen twine for drawstring bags.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<528a820f6b7a110008b136023c9201ea@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306088&group=rec.food.cooking#306088

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:19:12 +0000
 by: GM - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:19 UTC

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.

> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>

Is this why all the commercial stocks in the stores are now labeled "bone broth"...???

;-)

It looks very good...

--
GM

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<65fb552b$11$2187658$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306089&group=rec.food.cooking#306089

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:29:16 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:29 UTC

On 3/20/2024 4:22 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>
> leo

You need Sheldon's 40 gallon stock pot.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utfm4g$1n7o9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306093&group=rec.food.cooking#306093

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:57:31 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

On 3/20/2024 5:00 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>> leo
>
> Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>
> Janet UK

That and perhaps chopped up carrot. It's nice to see he roasted the
bones. A long slow simmer, adding water as needed, and then chill it
and skim off the fat that rises to the top and strain the stock.

Jill

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<daJKN.537078$c3Ea.331700@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306094&group=rec.food.cooking#306094

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:11:22 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:11 UTC

On 2024-03-20 5:57 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 5:00 PM, Janet wrote:
>> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
>> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>>
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>>
>>> leo
>>
>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>
>>    Janet UK
>
> That and perhaps chopped up carrot.  It's nice to see he roasted the
> bones.  A long slow simmer, adding water as needed, and then chill it
> and skim off the fat that rises to the top and strain the stock.

I have to ask about the roasting of the bones. Some people here claim
that making stock with bones from a previously roasted chunk off meat
gives then a nasty taste, so would that not also come out when one
roasts the bones?

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<l616tlFk2biU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306095&group=rec.food.cooking#306095

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:39:49 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

On 20/03/2024 20:22, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>
> leo

A bay leaf or two, and a spoonful of black peppercorns. I often add a
bit of celery, as well.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utfoli$1n7o9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306096&group=rec.food.cooking#306096

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:40:45 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:40 UTC

On 3/20/2024 6:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 5:57 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 3/20/2024 5:00 PM, Janet wrote:
>>> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
>>> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...

>>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>>
>>>    Janet UK
>>
>> That and perhaps chopped up carrot.  It's nice to see he roasted the
>> bones.  A long slow simmer, adding water as needed, and then chill it
>> and skim off the fat that rises to the top and strain the stock.
>>

>  I have to ask about the roasting of the bones. Some people here claim
> that making stock with bones from a previously roasted chunk off meat
> gives then a nasty taste, so would that not also come out when  one
> roasts the bones?

The bones Leo roasted were trimmed off the top loin steaks and froze
them BEFORE he cooked the steaks. So they are not previously roasted
(aka twice burnt).

Jill

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<l6173mFk4lfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306097&group=rec.food.cooking#306097

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:43:01 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:43 UTC

On 20/03/2024 21:00, Janet wrote:
> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>> leo
>
> Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>
> Janet UK

Yes. I use lemon thyme.
And red wine.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utfosc$1n7o9$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306098&group=rec.food.cooking#306098

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:44:23 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:44 UTC

On 3/20/2024 6:39 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 20/03/2024 20:22, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>> leo
>>
> A bay leaf or two, and a spoonful of black peppercorns. I often add a
> bit of celery, as well.

Leo has celery there.

Jill

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utfp20$1n7o9$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306099&group=rec.food.cooking#306099

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:47:23 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:47 UTC

On 3/20/2024 5:04 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>
>> leo
>>
> Maybe a carrot, a few sprigs of parsley, and a dozen or so of whole
> peppercorns?  If you don't relish the idea of straining, maybe tie
> up the parsley and peppercorns in a few layers of cheesecloth?  Your
> wife could even make a few washable spice bags out of muslin and
> kitchen twine for drawstring bags.

I agree about using cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine for bouquet
garni. Not sure about you volunteering his wife to make reusable
washable muslin drawstring spice bags. ;)

Jill

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<l617p7Fk77aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306100&group=rec.food.cooking#306100

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:54:31 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:54 UTC

On 20/03/2024 22:44, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 6:39 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 20/03/2024 20:22, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>>
>>> leo
>>>
>> A bay leaf or two, and a spoonful of black peppercorns. I often add a
>> bit of celery, as well.
>
> Leo has celery there.
>
> Jill

Indeed he does!

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utfs00$1p8fv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306101&group=rec.food.cooking#306101

From: dka...@mail.com (Dennis Kane)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:37:37 -0700
 by: Dennis Kane - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 23:37 UTC

On 3/20/2024 3:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 6:39 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 20/03/2024 20:22, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>>
>>> leo
>>>
>> A bay leaf or two, and a spoonful of black peppercorns. I often add a
>> bit of celery, as well.
>
> Leo has celery there.
>
> Jill

I also add a bit of celery, as well. Carrots too.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utg0kn$1qe7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306102&group=rec.food.cooking#306102

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:56:51 +1100
 by: Bruce - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:56 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:37:37 -0700, Dennis Kane <dkane@mail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/20/2024 3:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> A bay leaf or two, and a spoonful of black peppercorns. I often add a
>>> bit of celery, as well.
>>
>> Leo has celery there.
>>
>> Jill
>
>I also add a bit of celery, as well. Carrots too.

I leave out the beef.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utg10t$1qea9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306103&group=rec.food.cooking#306103

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:03:25 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 01:03 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 5:04 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>>> leo
>>>
>> Maybe a carrot, a few sprigs of parsley, and a dozen or so of whole
>> peppercorns?  If you don't relish the idea of straining, maybe tie
>> up the parsley and peppercorns in a few layers of cheesecloth?  Your
>> wife could even make a few washable spice bags out of muslin and
>> kitchen twine for drawstring bags.
>
> I agree about using cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine for bouquet garni.
> Not sure about you volunteering his wife to make reusable washable muslin
> drawstring spice bags. ;)
>
> Jill

If your highness actually had a husband, and if he asked that of your
majesty, there would surely be a heinous murder at dataw castle.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utg19i$1qea9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306104&group=rec.food.cooking#306104

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:08:02 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 01:08 UTC

ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>
>> leo
>>
> Maybe a carrot, a few sprigs of parsley, and a dozen or so of whole
> peppercorns?  If you don't relish the idea of straining, maybe tie
> up the parsley and peppercorns in a few layers of cheesecloth?  Your
> wife could even make a few washable spice bags out of muslin and
> kitchen twine for drawstring bags.

How about some diced onions too?

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<65fb9679$0$2077924$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306108&group=rec.food.cooking#306108

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:07:53 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:07 UTC

On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>
>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>> leo
>
> Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>
> Janet UK

Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<5ea5e5164eed048ecc88c861e8ed5f9b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306110&group=rec.food.cooking#306110

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:34:17 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:34 UTC

Hank Rogers wrote:

>> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>
>>> leo
>>>
> How about some diced onions too?

There's a halved onion in his photo.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<v%MKN.443716$vFZa.51254@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306111&group=rec.food.cooking#306111

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:32:59 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:32 UTC

On 2024-03-20 10:07 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:

>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>
>>    Janet UK
>
> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)

It does have some taste. I learned about that once when I used too much.
It ranks up there with bay leave. You're not always sure what it
tastes like but if you forget it you know there is something missing. I
once had a dish in a Mexican restaurant had way too much bay leave. It
was not pleasant.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<2cbeddd212846e21e1a9d5d1c6751915@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306112&group=rec.food.cooking#306112

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:36:37 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:36 UTC

Graham wrote:

> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
>>
>> Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>
>> Janet UK

> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)

Parsley adds a nice mild flavor.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utg73o$1vdfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306113&group=rec.food.cooking#306113

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:47:20 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:47 UTC

Graham wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
>> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
>> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>>
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>>
>>> leo
>>
>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>
>>    Janet UK
>
> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)

Decorative, like a wooden bowl?

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<65fba716$0$2350515$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306114&group=rec.food.cooking#306114

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:18:46 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 03:18 UTC

On 2024-03-20 8:32 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 10:07 p.m., Graham wrote:
>> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
>
>>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>>
>>>    Janet UK
>>
>> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)
>
> It does have some taste. I learned about that once when I used too much.
>  It ranks up there with bay leave.

Not the bay leaves I use!

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<65fba734$0$2350516$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306115&group=rec.food.cooking#306115

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:19:16 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 03:19 UTC

On 2024-03-20 8:36 p.m., ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
>>>
>>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>>
>>>    Janet UK
>
>> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)
>>
> Parsley adds a nice mild flavor.

To me it's so mild as to be not worth the bother.

Re: Beef broth fixin's

<utgd9r$20m3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306118&group=rec.food.cooking#306118

From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:32:59 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:32 UTC

On 3/20/2024 10:07 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 3:00 p.m., Janet wrote:
>> In article <l60urfFig0gU2@mid.individual.net>,
>> leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net says...
>>>
>>> When I buy beef top loin steaks, they come with a bone that frames the
>>> top and one side and a gristle strip on the other. I cut them both off
>>> before cooking the steak and chuck them in a ziplock.
>>> My ziplock is full so I'm making broth. Everything I use is in the
>>> photo, but I'm partially open to other seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/yJ92x5NG>
>>>
>>> leo
>>
>>   Parsley, thyme, a couple of bay leaves
>>
>>    Janet UK
>
> Why bother with parsley? It's only decorative:-)

WHAT???? I just invested my retirement savings and borrowed against my
house for shares of a Parsley farm. I was told it is the herb of the
future and people are learning to use it more and more.