From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: A South Carolina Twist on Biscuits & Gravy
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:41:42 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:41 UTC

Most people have heard of biscuits with cream gravy and/or sausage
gravy. Many people have heard of Shrimp & Grits. Personally, I've
never been impressed with Shrimp & Grits.

Ah, but Biscuits with Shrimp & Sausage Gravy...!

I had this at a music festival downtown years ago. It was a sampling
from a local restaurant, served on little mini biscuits. The taste was
wonderful and something I just had to try at home. Here is my closest
approximation:

Shrimp & Sausage Gravy over Biscuits

1 c. chopped sweet onion
1 c. crumbled breakfast sausage
1-1/2 Tbs. AP flour
1 c. chicked stock (or shrimp stock, if you have it)
1/4 c. cream or half & half
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 ts. black pepper
Salt to taste
cayenne pepper and/or hot sauce to taste
10 oz. small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
Splash of fresh lemon juice
Four large hot split biscuits

Saute the onion with breakfast sausage and cook until the sausage is
browned and the onion is soft and translucent. Drain off the fat. Stir
in the flour. Cook, 3-5 minutes, until the flour is lightly browned.
Pour in the stock a little at a time, then the cream, paprika, marjoram
and cayenne pepper, hot sauce if desired, stirring well until thickened.

Stir in the shrimp and cook until just firm and opaque. Remove from
heat, add the lemon juice and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Spoon the shrimp & sausage gravy over hot split biscuits. Serve
immediately.

Jill