If food be the music of love, eat up, eat up.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

SubjectAuthor
* OT: New best blackberry plantBryanGSimmons
`* Re: OT: New best blackberry plantGM
 `* Re: OT: New best blackberry plantSnag
  +* Re: OT: New best blackberry plantGM
  |`* Re: OT: New best blackberry plantSnag
  | `* Re: OT: New best blackberry plantHank Rogers
  |  +- Re: OT: New best blackberry plantSnag
  |  `- Re: OT: New best blackberry plantBryanGSimmons
  `- Re: OT: New best blackberry plantBryanGSimmons

1
OT: New best blackberry plant

<660405f5$0$876038$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306675&group=rec.food.cooking#306675

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 06:41:31 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Subject: OT: New best blackberry plant
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:41 UTC

Unsurprisingly, it's from the University of Arkansas' breeders. It's
released as a Stark Brothers exclusive, with the name Black Gem (tm).
https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blackberry-plants/stark-black-gem-blackberry

Stark Brothers is located in Louisiana, Missouri, just downriver, maybe
a one day's float on a raft from Hannibal. Hmmm? Black Gem.
Seriously though, this is the pinnacle of blackberry breeding so far,
though it might not be perfect for some because it is thornless, which
makes it vulnerable to getting eaten by those pesky deer.

The best thorny alternatives are Prime-Ark Horizon (if you can find it
for sale), or Prime-Ark 45.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<62945cf28d8bc11a393d142de4662e8f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306677&group=rec.food.cooking#306677

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: OT: New best blackberry plant
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:08:47 +0000
 by: GM - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:08 UTC

BryanGSimmons wrote:

> Unsurprisingly, it's from the University of Arkansas' breeders. It's
> released as a Stark Brothers exclusive, with the name Black Gem (tm).
> https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blackberry-plants/stark-black-gem-blackberry

> Stark Brothers is located in Louisiana, Missouri, just downriver, maybe
> a one day's float on a raft from Hannibal. Hmmm? Black Gem.
> Seriously though, this is the pinnacle of blackberry breeding so far,
> though it might not be perfect for some because it is thornless, which
> makes it vulnerable to getting eaten by those pesky deer.

> The best thorny alternatives are Prime-Ark Horizon (if you can find it
> for sale), or Prime-Ark 45.

You got some pesky deer by you, Bryan...???

--
GM

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<uu1a6f$2sv4v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306687&group=rec.food.cooking#306687

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:24:09 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:24 UTC

On 3/27/2024 8:08 AM, GM wrote:
> BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> Unsurprisingly, it's from the University of Arkansas' breeders.  It's
>> released as a Stark Brothers exclusive, with the name Black Gem (tm).
>> https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blackberry-plants/stark-black-gem-blackberry
>

>> Stark Brothers is located in Louisiana, Missouri, just downriver,
>> maybe a one day's float on a raft from Hannibal.  Hmmm?  Black Gem.
>> Seriously though, this is the pinnacle of blackberry breeding so far,
>> though it might not be perfect for some because it is thornless, which
>> makes it vulnerable to getting eaten by those pesky deer.
>
>> The best thorny alternatives are Prime-Ark Horizon (if you can find it
>> for sale), or Prime-Ark 45.
>
> You got some pesky deer by you, Bryan...???

I think 2 of the 3 varieties I'm growing are called Arapaho and
Navajo , both developed by University of Arkansas . The third is Triple
Crown , and all are thornless . They also all have much larger and
sweeter berries than the local wild berries . They're also surrounded by
an electric fence to keep the deer out .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<a2e03e4d343fd9959f071871fc53d315@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306688&group=rec.food.cooking#306688

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:54:36 +0000
 by: GM - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:54 UTC

Snag wrote:

> On 3/27/2024 8:08 AM, GM wrote:
>> BryanGSimmons wrote:
>>
>>> Unsurprisingly, it's from the University of Arkansas' breeders.  It's
>>> released as a Stark Brothers exclusive, with the name Black Gem (tm).
>>> https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blackberry-plants/stark-black-gem-blackberry
>>

>>> Stark Brothers is located in Louisiana, Missouri, just downriver,
>>> maybe a one day's float on a raft from Hannibal.  Hmmm?  Black Gem.
>>> Seriously though, this is the pinnacle of blackberry breeding so far,
>>> though it might not be perfect for some because it is thornless, which
>>> makes it vulnerable to getting eaten by those pesky deer.
>>
>>> The best thorny alternatives are Prime-Ark Horizon (if you can find it
>>> for sale), or Prime-Ark 45.
>>
>> You got some pesky deer by you, Bryan...???
>>

> I think 2 of the 3 varieties I'm growing are called Arapaho and
> Navajo , both developed by University of Arkansas . The third is Triple
> Crown , and all are thornless . They also all have much larger and
> sweeter berries than the local wild berries . They're also surrounded by
> an electric fence to keep the deer out .

I like the idea of an "electric fence"...

--
GM

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<6604376a$0$876039$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306692&group=rec.food.cooking#306692

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:12:31 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:12 UTC

On 3/27/2024 9:24 AM, Snag wrote:
> On 3/27/2024 8:08 AM, GM wrote:
>> BryanGSimmons wrote:
>>
>>> Unsurprisingly, it's from the University of Arkansas' breeders.  It's
>>> released as a Stark Brothers exclusive, with the name Black Gem (tm).
>>> https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blackberry-plants/stark-black-gem-blackberry
>>

>>> Stark Brothers is located in Louisiana, Missouri, just downriver,
>>> maybe a one day's float on a raft from Hannibal.  Hmmm?  Black Gem.
>>> Seriously though, this is the pinnacle of blackberry breeding so far,
>>> though it might not be perfect for some because it is thornless,
>>> which makes it vulnerable to getting eaten by those pesky deer.
>>
>>> The best thorny alternatives are Prime-Ark Horizon (if you can find
>>> it for sale), or Prime-Ark 45.
>>
>> You got some pesky deer by you, Bryan...???
>>

>   I think 2 of the 3 varieties I'm growing are called Arapaho and
> Navajo , both developed by University of Arkansas . The third is Triple
> Crown , and all are thornless . They also all have much larger and
> sweeter berries than the local wild berries . They're also surrounded by
> an electric fence to keep the deer out .

Arapaho is both the grandparent and great-grandparent of Black Gem.
You should plant at least one primocane bearing blackberry. I have a
couple of Freedoms and several Travellers, plus, I still have one Prime
Jim, and several Prime Jans that I've had growing for years. In a few
weeks we're planning a road trip to Stark to buy the Black Gem. I also
have a bunch of Jewel black raspberries, and one Caroline red raspberry.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<uu1jrp$2vage$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306695&group=rec.food.cooking#306695

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:09:06 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:09 UTC

On 3/27/2024 9:54 AM, GM wrote:
> Snag wrote:

>>> You got some pesky deer by you, Bryan...???
>>>

>>    I think 2 of the 3 varieties I'm growing are called Arapaho and
>> Navajo , both developed by University of Arkansas . The third is
>> Triple Crown , and all are thornless . They also all have much larger
>> and sweeter berries than the local wild berries . They're also
>> surrounded by an electric fence to keep the deer out .
>
> I like the idea of an "electric fence"...

Actually it's a little more than that . The bottom 18" has a piece of
1" chicken wire 24" wide with the bottom 6" turned flat to the outside .
Keeps most critters from digging under it . There are 3 electrified
wires , one just above the top of the chicken wire and 2 more spaced
about a foot apart . The electric fence was originally installed around
my bee yard to keep bears* out , when I moved the bees to the garden
area I moved the fence to include it all .

* When I first put up the electric it was because a bear had mauled
one of my bee hives . I baited the fence with bacon when I first set it
up ... bears love bacon . They haven't touched a hive since .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<uu1p4c$30f3d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306707&group=rec.food.cooking#306707

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:39:09 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:39 UTC

Snag wrote:
> On 3/27/2024 9:54 AM, GM wrote:
>> Snag wrote:

>>>    I think 2 of the 3 varieties I'm growing are called Arapaho and
>>> Navajo , both developed by University of Arkansas . The third is Triple
>>> Crown , and all are thornless . They also all have much larger and
>>> sweeter berries than the local wild berries . They're also surrounded by
>>> an electric fence to keep the deer out .
>>
>> I like the idea of an "electric fence"...
>>

>   Actually it's a little more than that . The bottom 18" has a piece of 1"
> chicken wire 24" wide with the bottom 6" turned flat to the outside . Keeps
> most critters from digging under it . There are 3 electrified wires , one
> just above the top of the chicken wire and 2 more spaced about a foot apart
> . The electric fence was originally installed around my bee yard to keep
> bears* out , when I moved the bees to the garden area I moved the fence to
> include it all .
>
>   * When I first put up the electric it was because a bear had mauled one
> of my bee hives . I baited the fence with bacon when I first set it up ...
> bears love bacon . They haven't touched a hive since .

What kind of fence charger to you have? It must pack a punch to be able to
deter bears.

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<uu1qs8$311ku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306712&group=rec.food.cooking#306712

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:08:48 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:08 UTC

On 3/27/2024 1:39 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Snag wrote:

>>> I like the idea of an "electric fence"...
>>>

>>    Actually it's a little more than that . The bottom 18" has a piece
>> of 1" chicken wire 24" wide with the bottom 6" turned flat to the
>> outside . Keeps most critters from digging under it . There are 3
>> electrified wires , one just above the top of the chicken wire and 2
>> more spaced about a foot apart . The electric fence was originally
>> installed around my bee yard to keep bears* out , when I moved the
>> bees to the garden area I moved the fence to include it all .
>>
>>    * When I first put up the electric it was because a bear had mauled
>> one of my bee hives . I baited the fence with bacon when I first set
>> it up ... bears love bacon . They haven't touched a hive since .
>
> What kind of fence charger to you have? It must pack a punch to be able
> to deter bears.

It's a .3 joule unit , supposed to cover up to 20 acres . I'm
enclosing about 1600 square feet . . The thing is when a bear comes in
he leads with his nose and face . This area is very sensitive and the
wires are spaced to hit there .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: OT: New best blackberry plant

<66047379$0$876055$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306713&group=rec.food.cooking#306713

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:28:46 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:28 UTC

On 3/27/2024 1:39 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Snag wrote:

>>> I like the idea of an "electric fence"...
>>>

>>    Actually it's a little more than that . The bottom 18" has a piece
>> of 1" chicken wire 24" wide with the bottom 6" turned flat to the
>> outside . Keeps most critters from digging under it . There are 3
>> electrified wires , one just above the top of the chicken wire and 2
>> more spaced about a foot apart . The electric fence was originally
>> installed around my bee yard to keep bears* out , when I moved the
>> bees to the garden area I moved the fence to include it all .
>>
>>    * When I first put up the electric it was because a bear had mauled
>> one of my bee hives . I baited the fence with bacon when I first set
>> it up ... bears love bacon . They haven't touched a hive since .
>
> What kind of fence charger to you have? It must pack a punch to be able
> to deter bears.

Bears are pretty badass, but I imagine that electric shock is great
equalizer.