You are going to have a new love affair.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6 answers: Islam, CanOrgsMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

<xIednToTeJkeVFP9nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3069&group=rec.games.trivia#3069

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!fdc3.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 23:52:19 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 04:52 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization

1. A person is accepted for all intents and purposes as a convert
to Islam if he pronounces and believes the one sentence that
expresses the two essential points of the Muslim faith. What is
this sentence (in English)?

2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
and where).

3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

4. Medicine in the medieval Muslim world advanced far beyond that
among Europeans. One of its leading practitioners, however,
was not a Muslim and did come from Europe. Name this physician
who was born in Spain, lived 1135-1204 (all dates in this round
are AD as usual, not AH), served as physician to the Sultan
in Egypt, and wrote major works in philosophy, theology, and
biblical commentary.

5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
it from any similarly named parties.

7. It is rare that an organized Muslim community has agreed to live
under non-Muslim rulers and laws. The "father of modern
Pakistan" was not a religious Muslim, but he still led many
Muslims out of newly independent India. Who was he?

8. What Egyptian novelist, author of the Cairo Trilogy, won the
Nobel Prize for literature """about 10 years ago"""?

9. Much of the "Arabian Nights" takes place in 9th-century Baghdad,
when the city had 500,000 people (much bigger than any European
city) and the most advanced cultural life west of India.
The caliph who ruled Baghdad 786-809 appears in some of the
"Arabian Nights" stories, wandering the city in disguise at
night. Who was this adventurous caliph? *Full name required*.

10. The Arabs read the Greek classics before the medieval Europeans
did. The Latin translation of a Muslim philosopher's
commentaries on Aristotle inspired Thomas Aquinas to reconcile
Aristotle's philosophy with Christianity. Who was this Muslim
philosopher, who lived 1126-98 and was considered a religious
skeptic by some people?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Organizations

We will read descriptions of some Canadian organizations. Tell us
in each case the name of the organization. In some cases the
wording was taken from the organization's self-descriptions and
therefore does not necessarily reflect the position of the trivia
league, the question setters, and perhaps anyone else outside the
organizations themselves. Also, by 2021 even the self-description
may have changed, if the organizations still exist; you can assume
""" marks around every question.

1. Formerly the Canadian Association for the Mentally Retarded,
it is a national, charitable organization dedicated to improving
the quality of life for people who have a mental handicap.

2. It is a voluntary organization of 45,000 Canadian families
who share a commitment to expanding the quality and quantity
of Canadian radio and TV programming.

3. An international organization founded in Canada in 1971.
They carry out peaceful direct actions, environmental advocacy,
political lobbying, and public education to stem the tide of
planetary destruction.

4. This organization is a national, non-partisan citizens'
organization opposed to the Canada-US Free Trade Agreement and
foreign control of Canada. It campaigns to repeal the FTA and
NAFTA and works to build an independent Canada.

5. A registered national arts association, founded in 1966, with
a membership of over 450 professional publishing and performing
poets. Its purpose is to enhance the status of poets and
develop the audience for poetry.

6. Established in 1842, this branch of Natural Resources Canada
is one of Canada's oldest scientific organizations. It provides
geoscientific knowledge about the Canadian landmass and offshore,
and their mineral and energy resources.

7. This organization is based in Waterloo, Ontario, and promotes
research, education, and advocacy relating to peace and
disarmament.

8. This Toronto-based non-profit organization was founded in 1967,
and has about 45,000 members. It promotes free markets,
individual freedom and responsibility under limited government,
and a strong defense force. Stephen Harper is its president;
it publishes a newsletter called "The Bulldog".

9. This Ottawa-based organization represents Canadian business
on public policy issues in Canada and abroad. It consists of
150 chief executives of leading Canadian companies and engages
in research, consultation, and advocacy. Its own president
and CEO is Tom d'Aquino.

10. This Ontario organization was founded in 1797, and was the first
such organization in Canada. Its motto is "Let Right Prevail".
The statute that set it up stated that it should provide the
province with "a learned and honourable body, to assist their
fellow subjects as occasion may require, and to support and
maintain the constitution of the said Province".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This is Programming as a True Art Form, where style
msb@vex.net | is more important than correctness... --Pontus Hedman

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

<XnsAD4F7262353EDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3071&group=rec.games.trivia#3071

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:14:39 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:14 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization
>
> 2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
> Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
> calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
> H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
> the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
> and where).

The day Mohammed moved from Medina to Mecca.
> 3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
> tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
> in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
> Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

Christians and Jews.
> 5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
> Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
> secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
> school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

Bagdad
> 6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
> Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
> political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
> it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
> other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
> movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
> English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
> it from any similarly named parties.

Muslim Brotherhood

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

<sanh1i$88c$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3072&group=rec.games.trivia#3072

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:49:38 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization

> 1. A person is accepted for all intents and purposes as a convert
> to Islam if he pronounces and believes the one sentence that
> expresses the two essential points of the Muslim faith. What is
> this sentence (in English)?

Allah is my god and Mohammed is his prophet.

> 2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
> Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
> calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
> H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
> the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
> and where).

hegira

> 3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
> tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
> in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
> Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

those who follow a Bible (Jews and Christians)

> 4. Medicine in the medieval Muslim world advanced far beyond that
> among Europeans. One of its leading practitioners, however,
> was not a Muslim and did come from Europe. Name this physician
> who was born in Spain, lived 1135-1204 (all dates in this round
> are AD as usual, not AH), served as physician to the Sultan
> in Egypt, and wrote major works in philosophy, theology, and
> biblical commentary.

Avicenna

> 5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
> Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
> secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
> school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

Baghdad

> 6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
> Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
> political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
> it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
> other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
> movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
> English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
> it from any similarly named parties.

Muslim Brotherhood

> 8. What Egyptian novelist, author of the Cairo Trilogy, won the
> Nobel Prize for literature """about 10 years ago"""?

Mafouz

> 9. Much of the "Arabian Nights" takes place in 9th-century Baghdad,
> when the city had 500,000 people (much bigger than any European
> city) and the most advanced cultural life west of India.
> The caliph who ruled Baghdad 786-809 appears in some of the
> "Arabian Nights" stories, wandering the city in disguise at
> night. Who was this adventurous caliph? *Full name required*.

Haroun al-Rashid

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Organizations

> 3. An international organization founded in Canada in 1971.
> They carry out peaceful direct actions, environmental advocacy,
> political lobbying, and public education to stem the tide of
> planetary destruction.

Greenpeace

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

<XnsAD4F80756574Egromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3074&group=rec.games.trivia#3074

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:37:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:37 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:xIednToTeJkeVFP9nZ2dnUU7-
cvNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization
>
> 1. A person is accepted for all intents and purposes as a convert
> to Islam if he pronounces and believes the one sentence that
> expresses the two essential points of the Muslim faith. What is
> this sentence (in English)?

"There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet"
> 2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
> Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
> calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
> H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
> the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
> and where).

Hejira

> 3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
> tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
> in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
> Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

Christians and Jews
> 4. Medicine in the medieval Muslim world advanced far beyond that
> among Europeans. One of its leading practitioners, however,
> was not a Muslim and did come from Europe. Name this physician
> who was born in Spain, lived 1135-1204 (all dates in this round
> are AD as usual, not AH), served as physician to the Sultan
> in Egypt, and wrote major works in philosophy, theology, and
> biblical commentary.

Maimonides

> 5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
> Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
> secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
> school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

Cairo
> 6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
> Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
> political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
> it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
> other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
> movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
> English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
> it from any similarly named parties.

Muslim Brotherhood

> 7. It is rare that an organized Muslim community has agreed to live
> under non-Muslim rulers and laws. The "father of modern
> Pakistan" was not a religious Muslim, but he still led many
> Muslims out of newly independent India. Who was he?

Jinnah

> 8. What Egyptian novelist, author of the Cairo Trilogy, won the
> Nobel Prize for literature """about 10 years ago"""?

Mahfouz
> 9. Much of the "Arabian Nights" takes place in 9th-century Baghdad,
> when the city had 500,000 people (much bigger than any European
> city) and the most advanced cultural life west of India.
> The caliph who ruled Baghdad 786-809 appears in some of the
> "Arabian Nights" stories, wandering the city in disguise at
> night. Who was this adventurous caliph? *Full name required*.

Harun al-Rashid (?)

> 10. The Arabs read the Greek classics before the medieval Europeans
> did. The Latin translation of a Muslim philosopher's
> commentaries on Aristotle inspired Thomas Aquinas to reconcile
> Aristotle's philosophy with Christianity. Who was this Muslim
> philosopher, who lived 1126-98 and was considered a religious
> skeptic by some people?

Avicenna (?)
> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Organizations
>
> We will read descriptions of some Canadian organizations. Tell us
> in each case the name of the organization.
>
> 3. An international organization founded in Canada in 1971.
> They carry out peaceful direct actions, environmental advocacy,
> political lobbying, and public education to stem the tide of
> planetary destruction.

Greenpeace

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6: Islam, CanOrgs

<sapots$gvb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3076&group=rec.games.trivia#3076

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 03:16:27 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:16 UTC

On 6/19/21 9:52 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization
>
> 1. A person is accepted for all intents and purposes as a convert
> to Islam if he pronounces and believes the one sentence that
> expresses the two essential points of the Muslim faith. What is
> this sentence (in English)?

There is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his prophet

> 2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
> Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
> calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
> H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
> the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
> and where).

hajj

> 3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
> tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
> in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
> Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

people of the Book (Christians and Jews)

> 4. Medicine in the medieval Muslim world advanced far beyond that
> among Europeans. One of its leading practitioners, however,
> was not a Muslim and did come from Europe. Name this physician
> who was born in Spain, lived 1135-1204 (all dates in this round
> are AD as usual, not AH), served as physician to the Sultan
> in Egypt, and wrote major works in philosophy, theology, and
> biblical commentary.
>
> 5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
> Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
> secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
> school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

Baghdad; Cairo

> 6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
> Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
> political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
> it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
> other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
> movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
> English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
> it from any similarly named parties.
>
> 7. It is rare that an organized Muslim community has agreed to live
> under non-Muslim rulers and laws. The "father of modern
> Pakistan" was not a religious Muslim, but he still led many
> Muslims out of newly independent India. Who was he?
>
> 8. What Egyptian novelist, author of the Cairo Trilogy, won the
> Nobel Prize for literature """about 10 years ago"""?
>
> 9. Much of the "Arabian Nights" takes place in 9th-century Baghdad,
> when the city had 500,000 people (much bigger than any European
> city) and the most advanced cultural life west of India.
> The caliph who ruled Baghdad 786-809 appears in some of the
> "Arabian Nights" stories, wandering the city in disguise at
> night. Who was this adventurous caliph? *Full name required*.
>
> 10. The Arabs read the Greek classics before the medieval Europeans
> did. The Latin translation of a Muslim philosopher's
> commentaries on Aristotle inspired Thomas Aquinas to reconcile
> Aristotle's philosophy with Christianity. Who was this Muslim
> philosopher, who lived 1126-98 and was considered a religious
> skeptic by some people?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Organizations
>
> We will read descriptions of some Canadian organizations. Tell us
> in each case the name of the organization. In some cases the
> wording was taken from the organization's self-descriptions and
> therefore does not necessarily reflect the position of the trivia
> league, the question setters, and perhaps anyone else outside the
> organizations themselves. Also, by 2021 even the self-description
> may have changed, if the organizations still exist; you can assume
> """ marks around every question.
>
> 1. Formerly the Canadian Association for the Mentally Retarded,
> it is a national, charitable organization dedicated to improving
> the quality of life for people who have a mental handicap.
>
> 2. It is a voluntary organization of 45,000 Canadian families
> who share a commitment to expanding the quality and quantity
> of Canadian radio and TV programming.
>
> 3. An international organization founded in Canada in 1971.
> They carry out peaceful direct actions, environmental advocacy,
> political lobbying, and public education to stem the tide of
> planetary destruction.

Greenpeace

> 4. This organization is a national, non-partisan citizens'
> organization opposed to the Canada-US Free Trade Agreement and
> foreign control of Canada. It campaigns to repeal the FTA and
> NAFTA and works to build an independent Canada.
>
> 5. A registered national arts association, founded in 1966, with
> a membership of over 450 professional publishing and performing
> poets. Its purpose is to enhance the status of poets and
> develop the audience for poetry.
>
> 6. Established in 1842, this branch of Natural Resources Canada
> is one of Canada's oldest scientific organizations. It provides
> geoscientific knowledge about the Canadian landmass and offshore,
> and their mineral and energy resources.
>
> 7. This organization is based in Waterloo, Ontario, and promotes
> research, education, and advocacy relating to peace and
> disarmament.
>
> 8. This Toronto-based non-profit organization was founded in 1967,
> and has about 45,000 members. It promotes free markets,
> individual freedom and responsibility under limited government,
> and a strong defense force. Stephen Harper is its president;
> it publishes a newsletter called "The Bulldog".
>
> 9. This Ottawa-based organization represents Canadian business
> on public policy issues in Canada and abroad. It consists of
> 150 chief executives of leading Canadian companies and engages
> in research, consultation, and advocacy. Its own president
> and CEO is Tom d'Aquino.

Canadian Chamber of Commerce

> 10. This Ontario organization was founded in 1797, and was the first
> such organization in Canada. Its motto is "Let Right Prevail".
> The statute that set it up stated that it should provide the
> province with "a learned and honourable body, to assist their
> fellow subjects as occasion may require, and to support and
> maintain the constitution of the said Province".

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6 answers: Islam, CanOrgs

<DtadndpoVIRVL0_9nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3077&group=rec.games.trivia#3077

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 4,6 answers: Islam, CanOrgs
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 23:04:24 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 04:04 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

Tough set, huh?

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Islamic Civilization

> 1. A person is accepted for all intents and purposes as a convert
> to Islam if he pronounces and believes the one sentence that
> expresses the two essential points of the Muslim faith. What is
> this sentence (in English)?

"There is no god but God/Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet."
4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. We are now living in the 14th century AH, according to the
> Muslim dating system. What event does Year 1 of the Muslim
> calendar commemorate? If you tell us the Arabic word that the
> H stands for, that will be a complete answer. Or else describe
> the event and be sufficiently specific (you must mention who
> and where).

The hejira (hegira), Mohammed's flight from Mecca to Medina (one
place name required). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. In Muslim law, some non-believers in Islam are officially
> tolerated (they are called dhimmi) and given special status
> in Muslim countries, but other non-Muslims are not tolerated.
> Which non-Muslims are the ones who are tolerated?

Monotheists, such as Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. (A partial
answer was okay.) 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Medicine in the medieval Muslim world advanced far beyond that
> among Europeans. One of its leading practitioners, however,
> was not a Muslim and did come from Europe. Name this physician
> who was born in Spain, lived 1135-1204 (all dates in this round
> are AD as usual, not AH), served as physician to the Sultan
> in Egypt, and wrote major works in philosophy, theology, and
> biblical commentary.

Maimonedes (Moses ben Maimon). 4 for Joshua.

> 5. In the 10th century, before there were any universities in
> Europe, one was founded in a Muslim city. In addition to its
> secular faculties, it had (and still has) the leading theological
> school in Sunni Islam. Name either the city or the university.

Cairo, Al Azhar University. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. The movement to link Islam with modern politics began in
> Egypt in the 1920s. This movement created a (mostly non-violent)
> political party. The British, and later Nasser, suppressed
> it, but it """still exists""" semi-legally in Egypt and some
> other countries. What name do this """currently""" non-violent
> movement and its party """still use""" in Egypt? Answer in
> English or Arabic, but be sufficiently specific to distinguish
> it from any similarly named parties.

Muslim Brotherhood (both words required), al-Ahuwaya al-Islamiya.
(I'm not going to research its current status. The round's author
noted: Hamas, Fatah, or any other Arabic name you're likely to hear
is wrong.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 7. It is rare that an organized Muslim community has agreed to live
> under non-Muslim rulers and laws. The "father of modern
> Pakistan" was not a religious Muslim, but he still led many
> Muslims out of newly independent India. Who was he?

Mohammed Ali Jinnah. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. What Egyptian novelist, author of the Cairo Trilogy, won the
> Nobel Prize for literature """about 10 years ago"""?

Naguib Mahfuz (in 1988). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Much of the "Arabian Nights" takes place in 9th-century Baghdad,
> when the city had 500,000 people (much bigger than any European
> city) and the most advanced cultural life west of India.
> The caliph who ruled Baghdad 786-809 appears in some of the
> "Arabian Nights" stories, wandering the city in disguise at
> night. Who was this adventurous caliph? *Full name required*.

Haroun al-Rashid. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. The Arabs read the Greek classics before the medieval Europeans
> did. The Latin translation of a Muslim philosopher's
> commentaries on Aristotle inspired Thomas Aquinas to reconcile
> Aristotle's philosophy with Christianity. Who was this Muslim
> philosopher, who lived 1126-98 and was considered a religious
> skeptic by some people?

Averroes (or Ibn-Rushd).

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Organizations

> We will read descriptions of some Canadian organizations. Tell us
> in each case the name of the organization. In some cases the
> wording was taken from the organization's self-descriptions and
> therefore does not necessarily reflect the position of the trivia
> league, the question setters, and perhaps anyone else outside the
> organizations themselves. Also, by 2021 even the self-description
> may have changed, if the organizations still exist; you can assume
> """ marks around every question.

> 1. Formerly the Canadian Association for the Mentally Retarded,
> it is a national, charitable organization dedicated to improving
> the quality of life for people who have a mental handicap.

(Canadian) Association for Community Living.

> 2. It is a voluntary organization of 45,000 Canadian families
> who share a commitment to expanding the quality and quantity
> of Canadian radio and TV programming.

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting.

> 3. An international organization founded in Canada in 1971.
> They carry out peaceful direct actions, environmental advocacy,
> political lobbying, and public education to stem the tide of
> planetary destruction.

Greenpeace. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. This organization is a national, non-partisan citizens'
> organization opposed to the Canada-US Free Trade Agreement and
> foreign control of Canada. It campaigns to repeal the FTA and
> NAFTA and works to build an independent Canada.

CCAFT (Citizens Concerned about Free Trade). On a protest, we also
accepted the Council of Canadians as fitting the description.

> 5. A registered national arts association, founded in 1966, with
> a membership of over 450 professional publishing and performing
> poets. Its purpose is to enhance the status of poets and
> develop the audience for poetry.

League of Canadian Poets.

> 6. Established in 1842, this branch of Natural Resources Canada
> is one of Canada's oldest scientific organizations. It provides
> geoscientific knowledge about the Canadian landmass and offshore,
> and their mineral and energy resources.

Geological Survey (of Canada).

> 7. This organization is based in Waterloo, Ontario, and promotes
> research, education, and advocacy relating to peace and
> disarmament.

Project Ploughshares.

> 8. This Toronto-based non-profit organization was founded in 1967,
> and has about 45,000 members. It promotes free markets,
> individual freedom and responsibility under limited government,
> and a strong defense force. Stephen Harper is its president;
> it publishes a newsletter called "The Bulldog".

NCC (National Citizens Coalition). Yes, that's the same Stephen
Harper who was later the Prime Minister of Canada, but no marks for
"the Conservative Party"!

> 9. This Ottawa-based organization represents Canadian business
> on public policy issues in Canada and abroad. It consists of
> 150 chief executives of leading Canadian companies and engages
> in research, consultation, and advocacy. Its own president
> and CEO is Tom d'Aquino.

BCNI (Business Council on National Issues), now Business Council
of Canada.

> 10. This Ontario organization was founded in 1797, and was the first
> such organization in Canada. Its motto is "Let Right Prevail".
> The statute that set it up stated that it should provide the
> province with "a learned and honourable body, to assist their
> fellow subjects as occasion may require, and to support and
> maintain the constitution of the said Province".

LSUC (Law Society of Upper Canada).

Some of my early Usenet postings were from a computer of theirs,
thanks to my having assisted a friend who was doing some work
for them.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Spo Mis Can