He is now rising from affluence to poverty. -- Mark Twain

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Pineapple

SubjectAuthor
* PineappleLeonard Blaisdell
+* Re: PineappleEd P
|`* Re: Pineapplejmcquown
| `* Re: PineappleEd P
|  +- Re: PineappleGM
|  `* Re: Pineapplejmcquown
|   +* Re: PineappleItsJoanNotJoAnn
|   |`* Re: PineappleDave Smith
|   | `* Re: PineappleCindy Hamilton
|   |  +- Re: PineappleDave Smith
|   |  `- Re: PineappleHank Rogers
|   `* Re: PineappleEd P
|    `- Re: Pineapplesongbird
`- Re: Pineapplecshenk

1
Pineapple

<l6pedvFc44hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306859&group=rec.food.cooking#306859

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Pineapple
Date: 30 Mar 2024 03:15:12 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 03:15 UTC

As I've mentioned here, We're having ham and potato salad for Easter. I
panicked when I realized that I only had four russets and went to the
store this morning.
They had whole pineapple for a buck ninety-seven, so I bought one.
Although I haven't had to gut a pineapple for probably thirty years,
I think I remember how.
I'm "baking" some Betty Crocker salted caramel cookie mix as I type
this. Nope! Not done yet.
Happy Easter, everyone!

leo

Re: Pineapple

<66078b05$0$3711199$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306860&group=rec.food.cooking#306860

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 23:46:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Pineapple
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 03:46 UTC

On 3/29/2024 11:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> As I've mentioned here, We're having ham and potato salad for Easter. I
> panicked when I realized that I only had four russets and went to the
> store this morning.
> They had whole pineapple for a buck ninety-seven, so I bought one.
> Although I haven't had to gut a pineapple for probably thirty years,
> I think I remember how.
> I'm "baking" some Betty Crocker salted caramel cookie mix as I type
> this. Nope! Not done yet.
> Happy Easter, everyone!
>
> leo

At the store I buy them. you put it in the machine and push the button.

I grilled some slices tonight. Very good

Re: Pineapple

<uu9bi3$12o1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306877&group=rec.food.cooking#306877

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 11:36:33 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 15:36 UTC

On 3/29/2024 11:46 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 3/29/2024 11:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> As I've mentioned here, We're having ham and potato salad for Easter. I
>> panicked when I realized that I only had four russets and went to the
>> store this morning.
>> They had whole pineapple for a buck ninety-seven, so I bought one.
>> Although I haven't had to gut a pineapple for probably thirty years,
>> I think I remember how.
>> I'm "baking" some Betty Crocker salted caramel cookie mix as I type
>> this. Nope! Not done yet.
>> Happy Easter, everyone!
>>
>> leo
>
> At the store I buy them. you put it in the machine and push the button.
>
> I grilled some slices tonight.  Very good

Grilled pinapple is quite tasty! I still don't want it on a pizza,
though, nor the old time method of pineapple rings on a ham.

Jill

Re: Pineapple

<66084b1d$0$3711192$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306883&group=rec.food.cooking#306883

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 13:25:49 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:25 UTC

On 3/30/2024 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/29/2024 11:46 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> On 3/29/2024 11:15 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>> As I've mentioned here, We're having ham and potato salad for Easter. I
>>> panicked when I realized that I only had four russets and went to the
>>> store this morning.
>>> They had whole pineapple for a buck ninety-seven, so I bought one.
>>> Although I haven't had to gut a pineapple for probably thirty years,
>>> I think I remember how.
>>> I'm "baking" some Betty Crocker salted caramel cookie mix as I type
>>> this. Nope! Not done yet.
>>> Happy Easter, everyone!
>>>
>>> leo
>>
>> At the store I buy them. you put it in the machine and push the button.
>>
>> I grilled some slices tonight.  Very good
>
> Grilled pinapple is quite tasty!  I still don't want it on a pizza,
> though, nor the old time method of pineapple rings on a ham.
>
> Jill

I used to go to a large hospital/medical center on occasion and they
have a small food court. About once a year, I'd get a slice of pizza
with pineapple. Then I'm good for another year. I'd never consider a
whole pizza.

On a ham, varies by cooking time/temperature. They would vary from
tasty snack to a burnt round thing

Re: Pineapple

<47adnVNWoLo20ZX7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306884&group=rec.food.cooking#306884

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:32:27 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:32 UTC

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> As I've mentioned here, We're having ham and potato salad for Easter.
> I panicked when I realized that I only had four russets and went to
> the store this morning.
> They had whole pineapple for a buck ninety-seven, so I bought one.
> Although I haven't had to gut a pineapple for probably thirty years,
> I think I remember how.
> I'm "baking" some Betty Crocker salted caramel cookie mix as I type
> this. Nope! Not done yet.
> Happy Easter, everyone!
>
> leo

Not a big holiday for us cooking wise, but for the pinapple, use a
heavy chef's knife and cut vertically (unless you need rings) then
remove core amd flip flat side down and cut to 1/2 moons horizontally.
You can stack these 2 or 3 tall and then remove the rind.

Re: Pineapple

<ead4dc592eadd6302585874fd549c19e@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306888&group=rec.food.cooking#306888

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:52:16 +0000
 by: GM - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:52 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 3/30/2024 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> At the store I buy them. you put it in the machine and push the button.
>>>
>>> I grilled some slices tonight.  Very good
>>
>> Grilled pinapple is quite tasty!  I still don't want it on a pizza,
>> though, nor the old time method of pineapple rings on a ham.
>>
>> Jill

> I used to go to a large hospital/medical center on occasion and they
> have a small food court. About once a year, I'd get a slice of pizza
> with pineapple. Then I'm good for another year. I'd never consider a
> whole pizza.

> On a ham, varies by cooking time/temperature. They would vary from
> tasty snack to a burnt round thing

I reckon that if you took Jill to that food court for a slice of that pineapple 'za, she'd let you put your hand up her dress, Ed...

B-)

--
GM

Re: Pineapple

<uu9jrv$13skk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306889&group=rec.food.cooking#306889

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 13:58:21 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:58 UTC

On 3/30/2024 1:25 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 3/30/2024 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> At the store I buy them. you put it in the machine and push the button.
>>>
>>> I grilled some slices tonight.  Very good
>>
>> Grilled pinapple is quite tasty!  I still don't want it on a pizza,
>> though, nor the old time method of pineapple rings on a ham.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I used to go to a large hospital/medical center on occasion and they
> have a small food court.  About once a year, I'd get a slice of pizza
> with pineapple.  Then I'm good for another year.  I'd never consider a
> whole pizza.
>
> On a ham, varies by cooking time/temperature.  They would vary from
> tasty snack to a burnt round thing

The baked ham recipes I've seen that call for pineapple rings are mostly
from very old cookbooks. IIRC there are also marachino cherries involved.

This was the same era of cookbooks that presented lots of dishes made
with gelatin. I bought a set of old cookbooks many years ago and one of
them actually suggested serving canned tuna in lime Jell-O as a luncheon
dish.

Hey, it's nice to know LyleK's 'Gallery of Regrettable Food' is still
around!

For those who haven't perused it, this is very funny.

https://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Jill

Re: Pineapple

<8db8c5ada2adfa2f8930e284ed257e77@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306906&group=rec.food.cooking#306906

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:02:24 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:02 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> The baked ham recipes I've seen that call for pineapple rings are mostly
> from very old cookbooks. IIRC there are also marachino cherries involved.

Yes, they always looked so pretty in the cookbooks, almost too pretty to
slice. But either oven or the ham sucked all the flavor out of those
pineapple rings as they weren't sweet or even pineapple-y tasting.

> This was the same era of cookbooks that presented lots of dishes made
> with gelatin. I bought a set of old cookbooks many years ago and one of
> them actually suggested serving canned tuna in lime Jell-O as a luncheon
> dish.

EEK!!!

> Hey, it's nice to know LyleK's 'Gallery of Regrettable Food' is still
> around!

> For those who haven't perused it, this is very funny.

> https://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

> Jill

That site brings back a LOT of memories!

Re: Pineapple

<6r_NN.118866$_a1e.60301@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306911&group=rec.food.cooking#306911

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:17:05 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:17 UTC

On 2024-03-30 4:02 p.m., ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> The baked ham recipes I've seen that call for pineapple rings are
>> mostly from very old cookbooks.  IIRC there are also marachino
>> cherries involved.
>>

> Yes, they always looked so pretty in the cookbooks, almost too pretty to
> slice.  But either oven or the ham sucked all the flavor out of those
> pineapple rings as they weren't sweet or even pineapple-y tasting.

I have memories of those fruity hams. My grandfather used to dress up
hams with pineapple and cherries. I never appreciated the appearance and
I never liked the flavour combination. It would never occur to me to go
to the expense and effort to do that to a ham. I am not going to
complain about someone else doing it but I won't bother. It is well over
50 years since the last time I had a ham like that. Heck, I wonder if
that is the reason for my lack on interest in ham. I don't dislike ham,
but I have never cooked one and I have no plans to.

>> This was the same era of cookbooks that presented lots of dishes made
>> with gelatin.  I bought a set of old cookbooks many years ago and one
>> of them actually suggested serving canned tuna in lime Jell-O as a
>> luncheon dish.
>>

> EEK!!!
>>

>> Hey, it's nice to know LyleK's 'Gallery of Regrettable Food' is still
>> around!

I hope they aren't too harsh on some of those Jello dishes. I actually
liked them, even the lime with coleslaw and the orange and grated carrots.

Re: Pineapple

<660874b5$0$3711206$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306913&group=rec.food.cooking#306913

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:23:17 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:23 UTC

On 3/30/2024 1:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> This was the same era of cookbooks that presented lots of dishes made
> with gelatin.  I bought a set of old cookbooks many years ago and one of
> them actually suggested serving canned tuna in lime Jell-O as a luncheon
> dish.
>
> Hey, it's nice to know LyleK's 'Gallery of Regrettable Food' is still
> around!
>
> For those who haven't perused it, this is very funny.
>
> https://lileks.com/institute/gallery/
>
> Jill

Just took a peek and will look at more later. Some of that looks very
scary.

Re: Pineapple

<660879f2$0$1129685$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306917&group=rec.food.cooking#306917

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 30 Mar 2024 20:45:38 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:45 UTC

On 2024-03-30, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2024-03-30 4:02 p.m., ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> The baked ham recipes I've seen that call for pineapple rings are
>>> mostly from very old cookbooks.  IIRC there are also marachino
>>> cherries involved.
>>>

>> Yes, they always looked so pretty in the cookbooks, almost too pretty to
>> slice.  But either oven or the ham sucked all the flavor out of those
>> pineapple rings as they weren't sweet or even pineapple-y tasting.
>
> I have memories of those fruity hams. My grandfather used to dress up
> hams with pineapple and cherries.

We had that, plus a glaze of yellow mustard and brown sugar.

And cloves. Studded with cloves. I can't recall how grandma had
room for all that stuff on a ham.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Pineapple

<Cb%NN.99843$24ld.14167@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306922&group=rec.food.cooking#306922

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:08:50 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 21:08 UTC

On 2024-03-30 4:45 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-03-30, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Yes, they always looked so pretty in the cookbooks, almost too pretty to
>>> slice.  But either oven or the ham sucked all the flavor out of those
>>> pineapple rings as they weren't sweet or even pineapple-y tasting.
>>
>> I have memories of those fruity hams. My grandfather used to dress up
>> hams with pineapple and cherries.
>
> We had that, plus a glaze of yellow mustard and brown sugar.
>
> And cloves. Studded with cloves. I can't recall how grandma had
> room for all that stuff on a ham.

Ah yes. It is a bad memory and it is all coming back to me. Okay. Now I
know why I never bake ham.

Re: Pineapple

<uua4b6$18pds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306928&group=rec.food.cooking#306928

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:39:30 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-03-30, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Yes, they always looked so pretty in the cookbooks, almost too pretty to
>>> slice.  But either oven or the ham sucked all the flavor out of those
>>> pineapple rings as they weren't sweet or even pineapple-y tasting.
>>
>> I have memories of those fruity hams. My grandfather used to dress up
>> hams with pineapple and cherries.
>
> We had that, plus a glaze of yellow mustard and brown sugar.
>
> And cloves. Studded with cloves. I can't recall how grandma had
> room for all that stuff on a ham.

I remember those sort of hams.
With all that stuff, you could barely taste the ham :)

Especially cloves and pineapple ruin a good ham.

Re: Pineapple

<eugmdk-j931.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=306930&group=rec.food.cooking#306930

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:39:42 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

Ed P wrote:
> Just took a peek and will look at more later. Some of that looks very
> scary.

being in the mid-west i'd say there's a good chance i've
had a fair number of them. without looking...

tuna in lime jello would not bother me, i'd probably also
want some pineapple and cottage cheese in there. on a hot
day a cold dish is fine.

these days though i would enjoy it more with whole slabs
of sardines.

songbird