Anger is momentary madness. -- Horace

interests / rec.food.cooking / Bromangelon

SubjectAuthor
* BromangelonEd P
+- Re: BromangelonGM
+* Re: Bromangelonjmcquown
|`* Re: BromangelonDave Smith
| +- Re: BromangelonBruce
| +* Re: BromangelonEd P
| |+* Re: BromangelonDave Smith
| ||+- Re: Bromangeloncandycanearter07
| ||`- Re: BromangelonBruce
| |`* Re: Bromangelonjmcquown
| | +* Re: BromangelonDave Smith
| | |`* Re: Bromangelonjmcquown
| | | +* Re: BromangelonGraham
| | | +- Re: BromangelonDave Smith
| | | `- Re: BromangelonCindy Hamilton
| | `- Re: Bromangeloncshenk
| `* Re: BromangelonItsJoanNotJoAnn
|  `- Re: Bromangelonjmcquown
`- Re: BromangelonItsJoanNotJoAnn

1
Bromangelon

<660b4716$0$897420$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307045&group=rec.food.cooking#307045

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:45:27 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Bromangelon
 by: Ed P - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:45 UTC

Have you ever had Bromangelon? I bet you have.

I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That Built
America.

Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903. The episode
is about Penny Candy and how they came about. Tootsie Roll was one of
the first

A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop was
named after a race horse. Even the shape was critical in production.

It was an interesting episode. Some of the series repeats next Sunday
if you are interested.

Re: Bromangelon

<bc92106a784dcc91c345654e72f2c717@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307049&group=rec.food.cooking#307049

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Bromangelon
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 01:28:27 +0000
 by: GM - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 01:28 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> Have you ever had Bromangelon? I bet you have.

> I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That Built
> America.

> Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903. The episode
> is about Penny Candy and how they came about. Tootsie Roll was one of
> the first

> A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop was
> named after a race horse. Even the shape was critical in production.

> It was an interesting episode. Some of the series repeats next Sunday
> if you are interested.

Fun story here...!!!

US troops were in a gunfight with the Taliban. One of the US Afghan interpreters had an unencrypted radio and found the frequency that the Taliban were using...

He pretended to be one of the Taliban during the air strikes. He was able to "adjust" the air strikes by asking, "Are you OK, what is your location, we will send help..."

POW BOOM BAM...!!!

B-)

--
GM

Re: Bromangelon

<uufpkp$2uvt9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307050&group=rec.food.cooking#307050

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:13:41 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:13 UTC

On 4/1/2024 7:45 PM, Ed P wrote:
> Have you ever had Bromangelon?  I bet you have.
>
> I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That Built
> America.
>
> Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903.  The episode
> is about Penny Candy and how they came about.  Tootsie Roll was one of
> the first
>
> A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop was
> named after a race horse.  Even the shape was critical in production.
>
> It was an interesting episode.  Some of the series repeats next Sunday
> if you are interested.

I'm not sure I knew what it was called. I've never been a fan of
Tootsie Rolls. I did like Charms lollipops when I was a kid. They were
an interesting combination of sweet and sour. I did not know the
lollipop was was named after a race horse.

I do like seeing these shows about the history of food, when I remember
to turn to the History Channel. :)

Jill

Re: Bromangelon

<KUKON.104290$24ld.19052@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307051&group=rec.food.cooking#307051

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:25:30 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 03:25 UTC

On 2024-04-01 10:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/1/2024 7:45 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> Have you ever had Bromangelon?  I bet you have.
>>
>> I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That
>> Built America.
>>
>> Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903.  The episode
>> is about Penny Candy and how they came about.  Tootsie Roll was one of
>> the first
>>
>> A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop
>> was named after a race horse.  Even the shape was critical in production.
>>
>> It was an interesting episode.  Some of the series repeats next Sunday
>> if you are interested.
>
> I'm not sure I knew what it was called.  I've never been a fan of
> Tootsie Rolls.  I did like Charms lollipops when I was a kid.  They were
> an interesting combination of sweet and sour. I did not know the
> lollipop was was named after a race horse.

It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls were
good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to eat one,
but the taste was challenging.

Re: Bromangelon

<uufuj2$2vvo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307052&group=rec.food.cooking#307052

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 14:38:07 +1100
 by: Bruce - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 03:38 UTC

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:25:30 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-04-01 10:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I knew what it was called.  I've never been a fan of
>> Tootsie Rolls.  I did like Charms lollipops when I was a kid.  They were
>> an interesting combination of sweet and sour. I did not know the
>> lollipop was was named after a race horse.
>
>It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
>allowance and bottle return money at the candy store.

I'd return empty bottles at the store of our French camping site, in
1973. They'd give us money and put the bottles outside, behind the
store. There, I'd collect them again and I'd return them again later,
at the front of the store. And so on. All the money I made that way,
went into the camping site's pinball machines, so it wasn't really
theft.

This song would often be coming out of the camping site's loudspeaker
system:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kcet4aPpQ>

Re: Bromangelon

<660b8001$0$897418$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307053&group=rec.food.cooking#307053

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:48:18 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 03:48 UTC

On 4/1/2024 11:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-04-01 10:13 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/1/2024 7:45 PM, Ed P wrote:
>>> Have you ever had Bromangelon?  I bet you have.
>>>
>>> I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That
>>> Built America.
>>>
>>> Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903.  The
>>> episode is about Penny Candy and how they came about.  Tootsie Roll
>>> was one of the first
>>>
>>> A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop
>>> was named after a race horse.  Even the shape was critical in
>>> production.
>>>
>>> It was an interesting episode.  Some of the series repeats next
>>> Sunday if you are interested.
>>
>> I'm not sure I knew what it was called.  I've never been a fan of
>> Tootsie Rolls.  I did like Charms lollipops when I was a kid.  They
>> were an interesting combination of sweet and sour. I did not know the
>> lollipop was was named after a race horse.
>

> It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
> allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls were
> good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to eat one,
> but the taste was challenging.

used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.

Now they have cameras.

Re: Bromangelon

<d5ae4f5c43ae8ccdda7b941526fb11d9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307054&group=rec.food.cooking#307054

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:55:22 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:55 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> Have you ever had Bromangelon? I bet you have.

> I'm watching yesterday's History channel episode of The Food That Built
> America.

> Bromangelon was the forerunner of Jell-o back about 1903. The episode
> is about Penny Candy and how they came about. Tootsie Roll was one of
> the first

> A new invention, cellophane, made Charms a viable product. Lollipop was
> named after a race horse. Even the shape was critical in production.

> It was an interesting episode. Some of the series repeats next Sunday
> if you are interested.

I saw that in the lineup last night but didn't watch it.

Sorry, I've never heard of Bromangelon, but loved Tootsie Rolls.

Re: Bromangelon

<7f80aedaad661eb12d34b67158b28a90@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307055&group=rec.food.cooking#307055

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 05:01:36 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 05:01 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:

> It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
> allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls were
> good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to eat one,
> but the taste was challenging.

I always found that Sugar Daddy's were super long lasting.

Re: Bromangelon

<IfTON.125210$SyNd.33773@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307056&group=rec.food.cooking#307056

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 08:56:08 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:56 UTC

On 2024-04-01 11:48 p.m., Ed P wrote:
> On 4/1/2024 11:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
>> allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls
>> were good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to
>> eat one, but the taste was challenging.
>>

> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>
> Now they have cameras.

LOL

Going to the candy counter was an exercise in determining value.
Somethings were 2 or 3 for a penny while other were o cent or 2 cents.
You had to weigh the price against the desirability of the product. It
is like trading Halloween candy. It is challenging to get a good trade
when so many of the treats you get for free are so bad they are no treat
at all.

Re: Bromangelon

<uuh8a5$39ilt$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307059&group=rec.food.cooking#307059

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:30:13 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:30 UTC

Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote at 12:56 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 2024-04-01 11:48 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>> On 4/1/2024 11:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
>>> allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls
>>> were good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to
>>> eat one, but the taste was challenging.
>>>

>> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
>> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>>
>> Now they have cameras.
>
> LOL
>
> Going to the candy counter was an exercise in determining value.
> Somethings were 2 or 3 for a penny while other were o cent or 2 cents.
> You had to weigh the price against the desirability of the product. It
> is like trading Halloween candy. It is challenging to get a good trade
> when so many of the treats you get for free are so bad they are no treat
> at all.

Did any have negative value?

Re: Bromangelon

<uuh8gp$39jf2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307060&group=rec.food.cooking#307060

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 02:33:44 +1100
 by: Bruce - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:33 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 08:56:08 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-04-01 11:48 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>>>
>> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
>> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>>
>> Now they have cameras.
>
>LOL
>
>Going to the candy counter was an exercise in determining value.
>Somethings were 2 or 3 for a penny while other were o cent or 2 cents.
>You had to weigh the price against the desirability of the product.

Duh, you do that every time you buy something. Or not.

>It is like trading Halloween candy. It is challenging to get a good trade
>when so many of the treats you get for free are so bad they are no treat
>at all.

Wut?

Re: Bromangelon

<uuhq5h$3dkrk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307085&group=rec.food.cooking#307085

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:34:54 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:34 UTC

On 4/2/2024 1:01 AM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>> It made for a tough decision when we were kids spending our meager
>> allowance and bottle return money at the candy store. Tootsie Rolls
>> were good value. You got a lot for the money and it took forever to
>> eat one, but the taste was challenging.
>

> I always found that Sugar Daddy's were super long lasting.

Yes, they were! Caramel "lollipops". I'd forgotten all about those.

Jill

Re: Bromangelon

<uuhsik$3dkrk$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307088&group=rec.food.cooking#307088

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:16:01 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:16 UTC

On 4/1/2024 11:48 PM, Ed P wrote:
> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>
> Now they have cameras.

LOL!

I remember having no more than a dollar to spend and standing at the
candy counter at the 7-11 with friends, trying to figure out what to
buy. Of course we all wanted a Slurpee. This was always during Summer
vacation and it was hot outside. We had to be judicious in our other
candy choices. Chocolate bars were the most expensive item and there
were a lot to choose from.

Anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy? I liked the vanilla and the
banana taffy. Not so much the chocolate. Talk about long lasting!
From what I vaguely recall, we used to slap the wrapped taffy bar on
the curb to break it into pieces.

Jill

Re: Bromangelon

<_N_ON.381377$q3F7.75636@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307089&group=rec.food.cooking#307089

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:30:35 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:30 UTC

On 2024-04-02 5:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/1/2024 11:48 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
>> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>>
>> Now they have cameras.
>
> LOL!
>
> I remember having no more than a dollar to spend and standing at the
> candy counter at the 7-11 with friends, trying to figure out what to
> buy.  Of course we all wanted a Slurpee.  This was always during Summer
> vacation and it was hot outside.  We had to be judicious in our other
> candy choices.  Chocolate bars were the most expensive item and there
> were a lot to choose from.
>
> Anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy?  I liked the vanilla and the
> banana taffy.  Not so much the chocolate.  Talk about long lasting! From
> what I vaguely recall, we used to slap the wrapped taffy bar on the curb
> to break it into pieces.

That Bonomo was one of those things that gave a lot of chewing time but
wasn't particularly good. A much better deal was McIntosh toffee.You had
to smack that stuff onto a hard surface to break it up into manageable
pieces. A bar of that stuff could keep you in sweetness for a day or
more. Later on they started selling it in smaller packages with about a
half dozen individually wrapped pieces. They were softer and a little
easier to deal with.

Re: Bromangelon

<uui03l$3dkrk$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307091&group=rec.food.cooking#307091

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:16:18 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:16 UTC

On 4/2/2024 5:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-04-02 5:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/1/2024 11:48 PM, Ed P wrote:
>>> used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with a
>>> bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
>>>
>>> Now they have cameras.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> I remember having no more than a dollar to spend and standing at the
>> candy counter at the 7-11 with friends, trying to figure out what to
>> buy.  Of course we all wanted a Slurpee.  This was always during
>> Summer vacation and it was hot outside.  We had to be judicious in our
>> other candy choices.  Chocolate bars were the most expensive item and
>> there were a lot to choose from.
>>
>> Anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy?  I liked the vanilla and the
>> banana taffy.  Not so much the chocolate.  Talk about long lasting!
>> From what I vaguely recall, we used to slap the wrapped taffy bar on
>> the curb to break it into pieces.
>>

> That Bonomo was one of those things that gave a lot of chewing time but
> wasn't particularly good. A much better deal was McIntosh toffee.You had
> to smack that stuff onto a hard surface to break it up into manageable
> pieces. A bar of that stuff could keep you in sweetness for a day or
> more. Later on they started selling it in smaller packages with about a
> half dozen individually wrapped pieces. They were softer and a little
> easier to deal with.

Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with. I do recall
some trips to upstate NY when we lived in NJ (I'd have been about 5 or 6
years old) where they sold salt water taffy. Individually wrapped, not
something you had to slap on a curb to break into pieces. Very chewy! :)

Jill

Re: Bromangelon

<660c85cf$0$897419$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307093&group=rec.food.cooking#307093

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:25:19 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:25 UTC

On 2024-04-02 4:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/2/2024 5:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> I remember having no more than a dollar to spend and standing at the
>>> candy counter at the 7-11 with friends, trying to figure out what to
>>> buy.  Of course we all wanted a Slurpee.  This was always during
>>> Summer vacation and it was hot outside.  We had to be judicious in
>>> our other candy choices.  Chocolate bars were the most expensive item
>>> and there were a lot to choose from.
>>>
>>> Anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy?  I liked the vanilla and the
>>> banana taffy.  Not so much the chocolate.  Talk about long lasting!
>>> From what I vaguely recall, we used to slap the wrapped taffy bar on
>>> the curb to break it into pieces.
>>>

>> That Bonomo was one of those things that gave a lot of chewing time
>> but wasn't particularly good. A much better deal was McIntosh
>> toffee.You had to smack that stuff onto a hard surface to break it up
>> into manageable pieces. A bar of that stuff could keep you in
>> sweetness for a day or more. Later on they started selling it in
>> smaller packages with about a half dozen individually wrapped pieces.
>> They were softer and a little easier to deal with.
>>

> Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh%27s_Toffee

Re: Bromangelon

<uui50h$3g6q1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307096&group=rec.food.cooking#307096

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:39:57 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 23:39 UTC

On 4/2/2024 6:25 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2024-04-02 4:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> That Bonomo was one of those things that gave a lot of chewing time
>>> but wasn't particularly good. A much better deal was McIntosh
>>> toffee.You had to smack that stuff onto a hard surface to break it up
>>> into manageable pieces. A bar of that stuff could keep you in
>>> sweetness for a day or more. Later on they started selling it in
>>> smaller packages with about a half dozen individually wrapped pieces.
>>> They were softer and a little easier to deal with.
>>>

>> Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh%27s_Toffee

Interesting, Graham, but still not something I ever encountered. Were
they good?

Jill

Re: Bromangelon

<660caaf0$0$1643523$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307099&group=rec.food.cooking#307099

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:03:44 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 01:03 UTC

On 2024-04-02 5:39 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/2/2024 6:25 PM, Graham wrote:

>>> Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh%27s_Toffee
>>

> Interesting, Graham, but still not something I ever encountered.  Were
> they good?
>
> Jill
If you like toffee, then they were excellent.

Re: Bromangelon

<Tc2PN.506949$vFZa.419251@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307100&group=rec.food.cooking#307100

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:24:03 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 01:24 UTC

On 2024-04-02 6:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/2/2024 5:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> That Bonomo was one of those things that gave a lot of chewing time
>> but wasn't particularly good. A much better deal was McIntosh
>> toffee.You had to smack that stuff onto a hard surface to break it up
>> into manageable pieces. A bar of that stuff could keep you in
>> sweetness for a day or more. Later on they started selling it in
>> smaller packages with about a half dozen individually wrapped pieces.
>> They were softer and a little easier to deal with.
>>

> Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with.  I do recall
> some trips to upstate NY when we lived in NJ (I'd have been about 5 or 6
> years old) where they sold salt water taffy.  Individually wrapped, not
> something you had to slap on a curb to break into pieces. Very chewy! :)

It turns out to be a British and Canadian product. It was so good I
can't imagine that it would not have found a market in the US.

Re: Bromangelon

<660d1624$0$2363139$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307107&group=rec.food.cooking#307107

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 03 Apr 2024 08:41:08 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:41 UTC

On 2024-04-02, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

> Sorry, McIntosh toffee is not a brand I'm familiar with.

I'm not surprised. Canada is substantially more British than
the U.S. is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Canadians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Americans

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Bromangelon

<Hs6cnaIODvT0DJD7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307135&group=rec.food.cooking#307135

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 17:27:05 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 17:27 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/1/2024 11:48 PM, Ed P wrote:
> > used to be able to go to the store with a dollar and walk out with
> > a bottle of soda, two bags of chips and a few candy bars.
> >
> > Now they have cameras.
>
> LOL!
>
> I remember having no more than a dollar to spend and standing at the
> candy counter at the 7-11 with friends, trying to figure out what to
> buy. Of course we all wanted a Slurpee. This was always during
> Summer vacation and it was hot outside. We had to be judicious in
> our other candy choices. Chocolate bars were the most expensive item
> and there were a lot to choose from.
>
> Anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy? I liked the vanilla and the
> banana taffy. Not so much the chocolate. Talk about long lasting!
> From what I vaguely recall, we used to slap the wrapped taffy bar on
> the curb to break it into pieces.
>
> Jill

I don't recall the brand but banana taffy, yes!