Don't ever slam a door; you might want to go back.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Happy Dyngus Day

SubjectAuthor
* Happy Dyngus DayEd P
`* Re: Happy Dyngus DayGM
 `* Re: Happy Dyngus Daycandycanearter07
  `* Re: Happy Dyngus DayEd P
   +- Re: Happy Dyngus DayGM
   `- Re: Happy Dyngus Dayjmcquown

1
Happy Dyngus Day

<660afe85$0$897420$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307027&group=rec.food.cooking#307027

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:35:50 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Happy Dyngus Day
 by: Ed P - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:35 UTC

Dyngus Day is celebrated mostly in Eastern Europe, but both Buffalo and
Cleveland have festivities.

The day after Easter is known as Dyngus Day. It's commemorated in Poland
and in Polish communities across the U.S. Dyngus - sometimes spelled
Dingus - is marked by parties and parades with some fun traditions
thrown in as well.

Among the more colorful Dyngus Day traditions is for single boys to
chase single girls with water with an aim of dousing your beloved. The
modern take uses more squirt guns than buckets of water but beware -
tradition also holds that girls get their revenge on the following
Tuesday when they can throw dishes back the boys (and dishes hurt a lot
more than water.) Other traditions include lightly hitting someone on
the legs with switches to commemorate an act of contrition.

Dyngus Day traces its origins back to the Baptist of Police Prince
Mieszko in 966 A.D. with water signifying cleaning and purification. The
word "Dyngus" loosely translates to "worthy."

Like most other holidays, food plays a role in Dyngus Day as well.
Traditional Polish foods such as pierogis, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage and
butter shaped like lambs adorn tables today. There's also Polka dancing
and- of course - a little beer drinking.

Re: Happy Dyngus Day

<d4a214631138f3ee3e1c24a4c735a799@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307030&group=rec.food.cooking#307030

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Happy Dyngus Day
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:45:53 +0000
 by: GM - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> Dyngus Day is celebrated mostly in Eastern Europe, but both Buffalo and
> Cleveland have festivities.

> The day after Easter is known as Dyngus Day. It's commemorated in Poland
> and in Polish communities across the U.S. Dyngus - sometimes spelled
> Dingus - is marked by parties and parades with some fun traditions
> thrown in as well.

> Among the more colorful Dyngus Day traditions is for single boys to
> chase single girls with water with an aim of dousing your beloved. The
> modern take uses more squirt guns than buckets of water but beware -
> tradition also holds that girls get their revenge on the following
> Tuesday when they can throw dishes back the boys (and dishes hurt a lot
> more than water.) Other traditions include lightly hitting someone on
> the legs with switches to commemorate an act of contrition.

> Dyngus Day traces its origins back to the Baptist of Police Prince
> Mieszko in 966 A.D. with water signifying cleaning and purification. The
> word "Dyngus" loosely translates to "worthy."

> Like most other holidays, food plays a role in Dyngus Day as well.
> Traditional Polish foods such as pierogis, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage and
> butter shaped like lambs adorn tables today. There's also Polka dancing
> and- of course - a little beer drinking.

Heehee, Ed...I *almost* fell for this APRIL FOOL's DAY prank...!!!

;-D

--
GM

Re: Happy Dyngus Day

<uuf0qh$2lk4p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307031&group=rec.food.cooking#307031

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:10:09 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:10 UTC

GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote at 18:45 this Monday (GMT):
> Ed P wrote:
>
>> Dyngus Day is celebrated mostly in Eastern Europe, but both Buffalo and
>> Cleveland have festivities.
>
>> The day after Easter is known as Dyngus Day. It's commemorated in Poland
>> and in Polish communities across the U.S. Dyngus - sometimes spelled
>> Dingus - is marked by parties and parades with some fun traditions
>> thrown in as well.
>
>> Among the more colorful Dyngus Day traditions is for single boys to
>> chase single girls with water with an aim of dousing your beloved. The
>> modern take uses more squirt guns than buckets of water but beware -
>> tradition also holds that girls get their revenge on the following
>> Tuesday when they can throw dishes back the boys (and dishes hurt a lot
>> more than water.) Other traditions include lightly hitting someone on
>> the legs with switches to commemorate an act of contrition.
>
>> Dyngus Day traces its origins back to the Baptist of Police Prince
>> Mieszko in 966 A.D. with water signifying cleaning and purification. The
>> word "Dyngus" loosely translates to "worthy."
>
>> Like most other holidays, food plays a role in Dyngus Day as well.
>> Traditional Polish foods such as pierogis, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage and
>> butter shaped like lambs adorn tables today. There's also Polka dancing
>> and- of course - a little beer drinking.
>
> Heehee, Ed...I *almost* fell for this APRIL FOOL's DAY prank...!!!
>
> ;-D

So did I

Re: Happy Dyngus Day

<660b0be6$0$897427$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307034&group=rec.food.cooking#307034

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 15:32:55 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:32 UTC

On 4/1/2024 3:10 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote at 18:45 this Monday (GMT):
>> Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> Dyngus Day is celebrated mostly in Eastern Europe, but both Buffalo and
>>> Cleveland have festivities.
>>
>>> The day after Easter is known as Dyngus Day. It's commemorated in Poland
>>> and in Polish communities across the U.S. Dyngus - sometimes spelled
>>> Dingus - is marked by parties and parades with some fun traditions
>>> thrown in as well.
>>
>>> Among the more colorful Dyngus Day traditions is for single boys to
>>> chase single girls with water with an aim of dousing your beloved. The
>>> modern take uses more squirt guns than buckets of water but beware -
>>> tradition also holds that girls get their revenge on the following
>>> Tuesday when they can throw dishes back the boys (and dishes hurt a lot
>>> more than water.) Other traditions include lightly hitting someone on
>>> the legs with switches to commemorate an act of contrition.
>>
>>> Dyngus Day traces its origins back to the Baptist of Police Prince
>>> Mieszko in 966 A.D. with water signifying cleaning and purification. The
>>> word "Dyngus" loosely translates to "worthy."
>>
>>> Like most other holidays, food plays a role in Dyngus Day as well.
>>> Traditional Polish foods such as pierogis, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage and
>>> butter shaped like lambs adorn tables today. There's also Polka dancing
>>> and- of course - a little beer drinking.
>>
>> Heehee, Ed...I *almost* fell for this APRIL FOOL's DAY prank...!!!
>>
>> ;-D
>

> So did I

Yes, shows how ignorant you are.

https://www.dyngusday.com/2021-info

https://nationaltoday.com/dyngus-day/

Re: Happy Dyngus Day

<fd9fbd06d9d2eb67d7ff86a5c799195b@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307041&group=rec.food.cooking#307041

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:33:44 +0000
 by: GM - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:33 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/1/2024 3:10 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote at 18:45 this Monday (GMT):

>>> Heehee, Ed...I *almost* fell for this APRIL FOOL's DAY prank...!!!
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>

>> So did I

> Yes, shows how ignorant you are.

> https://www.dyngusday.com/2021-info

> https://nationaltoday.com/dyngus-day/

And THIS is NO "joke", Ed...

TRUMP’S AFFECTION FOR COPS WILL ASSURE HIS RE-ELECTION

“…seeing Biden cheesing it up surrounded by Hollywood royalty is quite the image when Donald Trump is offering condolences to widows…”

From THE NATIONAL REVIEW

“Maybe it’s a New York thing. Maybe it’s a post-9/11 thing. Maybe it’s the “them vs. us” simplicity of law enforcement. ..

Whatever the reason, Donald Trump appears to carry a genuine affection for the police...

Observing two worlds in one apple Thursday evening — Biden attending a $25 million fundraising gala at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan while Trump pays tribute to a fallen officer, Jonathan Diller, on Long Island — I could not help but be reminded of Hillary in her glass-ceilinged, victory-turned-ruinous-defeat pavilion in November of 2016. Hillary’s Javits Center choice was also in Manhattan. Seeing Biden cheesing it up surrounded by Hollywood royalty is quite the image when his opponent is offering condolences to widows…

Biden’s inability to contact the family of Officer Diller, instead expressing his regrets to New York Mayor Eric Adams to pass along, is an embarrassment…

When accepting in 2020 the endorsement of the New York Police Benevolent Association, Trump remarked to the assembled officers:..

‘So we’re gonna give you back your stature. We’re gonna give you back your status. I hate to say it, but it’s been taken away. We’re gonna give you back the right to be New York’s finest, the finest of all time, the greatest of all time…’

He’s positive about the police without asides, disclaimers, or progressive doublespeak. The guy likes cops, cops like him, and we all sleep better when the cops are happy in their work…

One cannot have a functioning society without the assumption of street-level law — if enough Americans think only Trump can manage to provide that, then it doesn’t matter how many galas Biden attends…”

:-D

--
GM

Re: Happy Dyngus Day

<uufkd2$2q3dm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307048&group=rec.food.cooking#307048

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:44:17 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 01:44 UTC

On 4/1/2024 3:32 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 4/1/2024 3:10 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com> wrote at 18:45 this Monday (GMT):

>>> Heehee, Ed...I *almost* fell for this APRIL FOOL's DAY prank...!!!
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>

>> So did I
>
> Yes, shows how ignorant you are.
>
> https://www.dyngusday.com/2021-info
>
> https://nationaltoday.com/dyngus-day/

The ignorance is not surprising, Ed. There is a similar water festival
that occurs in Thailand in April. It's called 'Songkran'. People throw
water on each other. (No throwing of dishes, though and no tapping
anyone with pussy willow wands.) It's a purification thing.

https://www.asiahighlights.com/thailand/songkran-festival#when

I'm sure these days the youngsters use squirt guns rather than buckets
or bowls of water. And the festival foods are not anything like those
of the Polish tradition. Same idea behind the water festival, though.

Jill