Tomorrow, you can be anywhere.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Baked a cake

SubjectAuthor
* Baked a cakeEd P
+* Re: Baked a cakeEd Pawlowski
|`* Re: Baked a cakejmcquown
| `* Re: Baked a cakeMartha
|  `- Re: Baked a cakecandycanearter07
+* Re: Baked a cakeItsJoanNotJoAnn
|`* Re: Baked a cakeEd P
| `- Re: Baked a cakeItsJoanNotJoAnn
+* Re: Baked a cakeRetro Guy
|`- Re: Baked a cakeEd P
`- Re: Baked a cakejmcquown

1
Baked a cake

<660c2ed9$0$897428$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307062&group=rec.food.cooking#307062

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:14:17 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Baked a cake
 by: Ed P - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:14 UTC

I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning. Had been
a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.

I never put a frosting since the crust is so good. Sometimes I put a
little butter on a slice though.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg

Re: Baked a cake

<660c45cc$8$1258331$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307070&group=rec.food.cooking#307070

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:52:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Baked a cake
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:52 UTC

On 4/2/2024 12:14 PM, Ed P wrote:
> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had been
> a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>
> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
> little butter on a slice though.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg

This is the recipe. I have no idea where the name came from. The
recipe itself goes back about 70+ years.

Nun's Cake (Pound Cake)

Ingredients:
1 cup of butter

1 1/2 cups of sugar

5 eggs
1 tsp. of vanilla

3 cups of sifted flour
2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cups of milk

Beat the butter until it is almost as light as whipped cream.

Divide the sugar in half and beat the first 3/4 cup full into the
creamed butter and then the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar into them.

Add the beaten egg mixture, a little at a time, to the beaten butter
mixture. Beating in each addition well. Add the vanilla and continue
to beat until grains of sugar are smooth.

Sift together the 3 cups of flour, 2 1/2 tsps. of baking powder and
salt. Add the flour about one-fourth at a time alternately with
one-third of the milk, blend the dry ingredients and milk in the batter.
Don't beat them in but blend them thoroughly, folding each addition in
smoothly before adding the next.

Put batter in a buttered and floured tube pan and bake in a moderate oven.

Bake 325° to 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

* Enjoy !

Re: Baked a cake

<abd425367467171bd77c4c33d1a065a5@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307075&group=rec.food.cooking#307075

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:07:03 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:07 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning. Had been
> a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.

> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good. Sometimes I put a
> little butter on a slice though.

> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg

It looks very, very good; nice golden color and it looks like
it has risen well. Snap a picture when you cut it so we can
see the crumb.

Re: Baked a cake

<d9ac4cedd59e85642dc4942d75eea04e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307076&group=rec.food.cooking#307076

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:09:41 +0000
From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:09 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning. Had been
> a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.

> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good. Sometimes I put a
> little butter on a slice though.

> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg

That looks very nice!

I may give it a try :)

--
Retro Guy

Re: Baked a cake

<660c6774$0$897428$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307080&group=rec.food.cooking#307080

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:15:48 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

On 4/2/2024 3:07 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>
>> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had
>> been a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>
>> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
>> little butter on a slice though.
>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg
>>

> It looks very, very good; nice golden color and it looks like
> it has risen well.  Snap a picture when you cut it so we can
> see the crumb.

Couple of slices already shared and a couple more will be.

https://i.postimg.cc/cHDVYBZp/Nuns-Cake-Sliced-jpg.jpg

Re: Baked a cake

<660c6799$0$897414$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307081&group=rec.food.cooking#307081

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:16:25 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:16 UTC

On 4/2/2024 3:09 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>
>> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had
>> been a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>
>> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
>> little butter on a slice though.
>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg
>
> That looks very nice!
>
> I may give it a try :)

I baked it at 350 for just over an hour.

Re: Baked a cake

<uuhqar$3dkrk$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307086&group=rec.food.cooking#307086

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:37:43 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:37 UTC

On 4/2/2024 12:14 PM, Ed P wrote:
> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had been
> a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>
> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
> little butter on a slice though.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg

That looks great! :)

Jill

Re: Baked a cake

<uuhqi4$3dkrk$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307087&group=rec.food.cooking#307087

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:41:37 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:41 UTC

On 4/2/2024 1:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/2/2024 12:14 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had
>> been a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>>
>> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
>> little butter on a slice though.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg
>

> This is the recipe.  I have no idea where the name came from.  The
> recipe itself goes back about 70+ years.
>

> Nun's Cake (Pound Cake)
>

> Ingredients:
> 1 cup of butter
>
> 1 1/2 cups of sugar
>
> 5 eggs
> 1 tsp. of vanilla
>
> 3 cups of sifted flour
> 2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
>
> 3/4 cups of milk
>
> Beat the butter until it is almost as light as whipped cream.
>
> Divide the sugar in half and beat the first 3/4 cup full into the
> creamed butter and then the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar into them.
>
> Add the beaten egg mixture, a little at a time, to the beaten butter
> mixture.  Beating in each addition well.  Add the vanilla and continue
> to beat until grains of sugar are smooth.
>
> Sift together the 3 cups of flour, 2 1/2 tsps. of baking powder and
> salt.  Add the flour about one-fourth at a time alternately with
> one-third of the milk, blend the dry ingredients and milk in the batter.
>  Don't beat them in but blend them thoroughly, folding each addition in
> smoothly before adding the next.
>
> Put batter in a buttered and floured tube pan and bake in a moderate oven.
>
> Bake 325° to 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Nice! A simple pound cake is very good.

Jill

Re: Baked a cake

<4827d3bcdcd65ec05219d8652a7a49de@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307090&group=rec.food.cooking#307090

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:49:32 +0000
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:49 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/2/2024 3:07 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.
>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg
>>>
>> Snap a picture when you cut it so we can
>> see the crumb.

> Couple of slices already shared and a couple more will be.

> https://i.postimg.cc/cHDVYBZp/Nuns-Cake-Sliced-jpg.jpg

Very nice! So many times some homemade cakes end up looking
like cornbread when they're sliced.

Re: Baked a cake

<c1cac3aa6166ba9824489935abafa589@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307105&group=rec.food.cooking#307105

From: motelo3...@otemdi.com (Martha)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:08:30 +0000
 by: Martha - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:08 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/2/2024 1:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/2/2024 12:14 PM, Ed P wrote:
>>> I mentioned I was going to bake a cake, so I did this morning.  Had
>>> been a few years since I did and this one is cooling right now.
>>>
>>> I never put a frosting since the crust is so good.  Sometimes I put a
>>> little butter on a slice though.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/g0bx3Yjy/Nuns-Cake-jpg.jpg
>>

>> This is the recipe.  I have no idea where the name came from.  The
>> recipe itself goes back about 70+ years.
>>

>> Nun's Cake (Pound Cake)
>>

>> Ingredients:
>> 1 cup of butter
>>
>> 1 1/2 cups of sugar
>>
>> 5 eggs
>> 1 tsp. of vanilla
>>
>> 3 cups of sifted flour
>> 2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>>
>> 3/4 cups of milk
>>
>> Beat the butter until it is almost as light as whipped cream.
>>
>> Divide the sugar in half and beat the first 3/4 cup full into the
>> creamed butter and then the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar into them.
>>
>> Add the beaten egg mixture, a little at a time, to the beaten butter
>> mixture.  Beating in each addition well.  Add the vanilla and continue
>> to beat until grains of sugar are smooth.
>>
>> Sift together the 3 cups of flour, 2 1/2 tsps. of baking powder and
>> salt.  Add the flour about one-fourth at a time alternately with
>> one-third of the milk, blend the dry ingredients and milk in the batter.
>>  Don't beat them in but blend them thoroughly, folding each addition in
>> smoothly before adding the next.
>>
>> Put batter in a buttered and floured tube pan and bake in a moderate oven.
>>
>> Bake 325° to 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
>>

> Nice! A simple pound cake is very good.

> Jill

Yes, sometimes simple is best!

Re: Baked a cake

<uujqb2$3vv42$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307127&group=rec.food.cooking#307127

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:50:10 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:50 UTC

Martha <motelo3459@otemdi.com> wrote at 08:08 this Wednesday (GMT):
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> This is the recipe.  I have no idea where the name came from.  The
>>> recipe itself goes back about 70+ years.
>>>

>>> Nun's Cake (Pound Cake)
>>>

>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1 cup of butter
>>>
>>> 1 1/2 cups of sugar
>>>
>>> 5 eggs
>>> 1 tsp. of vanilla
>>>
>>> 3 cups of sifted flour
>>> 2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
>>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>>>
>>> 3/4 cups of milk
>>>
>>> Beat the butter until it is almost as light as whipped cream.
>>>
>>> Divide the sugar in half and beat the first 3/4 cup full into the
>>> creamed butter and then the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar into them.
>>>
>>> Add the beaten egg mixture, a little at a time, to the beaten butter
>>> mixture.  Beating in each addition well.  Add the vanilla and continue
>>> to beat until grains of sugar are smooth.
>>>
>>> Sift together the 3 cups of flour, 2 1/2 tsps. of baking powder and
>>> salt.  Add the flour about one-fourth at a time alternately with
>>> one-third of the milk, blend the dry ingredients and milk in the batter.
>>>  Don't beat them in but blend them thoroughly, folding each addition in
>>> smoothly before adding the next.
>>>
>>> Put batter in a buttered and floured tube pan and bake in a moderate oven.
>>>
>>> Bake 325° to 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
>>>

>> Nice! A simple pound cake is very good.
>
>> Jill
>
> Yes, sometimes simple is best!

There's a reason why classics are classic!