Your business will assume vast proportions.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsbbowler
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsswp
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsDan Tilque
`* RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsMark Brader
 +- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsErland Sommarskog
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovatorsMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<a4GdncMo5dviQlf9nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3056&group=rec.games.trivia#3056

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 00:37:03 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 05:37 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
school in Evans, Georgia?

2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
humorous film won the award for makeup.

I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.

* Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations

Be as specific and detailed as necessary.

1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?
2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?
3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?
4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?
5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?
6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?
7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?
8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
of the number mean?

10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
refer to?

Please decode the rot13 after you are finished with all 10 questions:
Vs nal bs lbhe nafjref zragvba n zrnfherzrag, tb onpx naq svk gurz
vs arprffnel fb gung lbh unir rkcyvpvgyl fgngrq rknpgyl jung dhnagvgl
vf orvat zrnfherq, naq va jung havgf.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators

1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?
2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
title* is Douglas better known?

4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
"fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
"father of American football".

7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.

8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
was it?

9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
the game Sphairistiké. What do we call it?

10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

--
Mark Brader | "Rleadse negiifu uoug assount 'u somrletiing the fogm...
Toronto | We arologiize fog anu iinsonneniiense."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<ij10gdFap1aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3057&group=rec.games.trivia#3057

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (bbowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: 17 Jun 2021 13:20:13 GMT
 by: bbowler - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 13:20 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 00:37:03 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?
>
> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.
>
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?

The route isn't flown on the weekend

> 2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?

relative values of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium

> 3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?
> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?

number of leading-driving-trailing wheels

> 5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?

magnification x diameter of the objective lens in millimeters

> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

Six of spades was the winning bid

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean? 8.
> In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain

> 9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
> of the number mean?
>
> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

Castleing

> Please decode the rot13 after you are finished with all 10 questions: Vs
> nal bs lbhe nafjref zragvba n zrnfherzrag, tb onpx naq svk gurz vs
> arprffnel fb gung lbh unir rkcyvpvgyl fgngrq rknpgyl jung dhnagvgl vf
> orvat zrnfherq, naq va jung havgf.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?

First woman to play in the NHL

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

He "invented" basketball

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't ask
> you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of rules in an
> attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules were replaced by
> the "London rules", and then in 1865 what are essentially the
> present-day rules were produced under the auspices of John Sholto
> Douglas. And the question is, *by what title* is Douglas better
> known?

Marquess of Queensbury

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968

> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we didn't
> mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to "fute-ball".
> The evolution from the game that most of the world calls football to
> the game of the same name on this continent was a complicated one,
> but it began, or is said to have begun, when a player with "a fine
> disregard for the rules" picked up the ball and ran with it. Some
> sources give his name as Ellis and the date as 1823; others say it
> was Mackie in 1838 or 1839. But in what *city or town* did this event
> allegedly take place?
>
> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced the
> scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced the team
> from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first changes that led
> to the modern scoring system. Name this "father of American
> football".

Stagg, Warner

> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the first
> professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he instituted in
> play or recommended in rules included the secondary defense,
> double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.
>
> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York. Many
> similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time; but in
> this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate, the
> arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and runners had
> to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing the ball at them.
> His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what was it?
>
> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to produce a
> set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called the game
> Sphairistiké. What do we call it?

Tennis

> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<XnsAD4CD4F5EAE4AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3059&group=rec.games.trivia#3059

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:56:05 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:56 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain

> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

Short and long casting respectively.
> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968
> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

Rugby

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<sagn25$aop$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3060&group=rec.games.trivia#3060

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:49:25 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations

> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?

They have a set of four wheels, then a set of six, then a set of two.

> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

The contract was six spades and the bidding team is vulnerable. (?)

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?

It's the fourth printing.

> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

It's registered in Spain.

> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

castling

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

the invention of basketball

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

Marquess of Queensbury

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1960; 1964

> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
> first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
> instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
> defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.

Knute Rockne

> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistik?. What do we call it?

badminton; volleyball

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<XnsAD4CC510BE149gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3062&group=rec.games.trivia#3062

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 00:22:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 00:22 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:a4GdncMo5dviQlf9nZ2dnUU7-
V3NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?

fighting
(note: I'm ironically choosing a non-interesting reason)
> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.

"Men in Black"
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?

(flight operates every day) except Saturday and Sunday

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?

4th printing

> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain
> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

castling
> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rh�aume?

first woman to play in the NHL (she played in the preseason only)

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

inventor of basketball
> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

Marquess of Queensberry

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968
> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

Rugby
> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
> the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
> the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
> changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
> "father of American football".

Camp

> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
> Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
> but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
> the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
> runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
> the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
> was it?

Cartwright
> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistik�. What do we call it?

racquetball; volleyball

> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

Dorothy Hamill (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<bfe20bcb-eb6b-4c31-9c01-1316e46aabffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3064&group=rec.games.trivia#3064

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 19:59:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 02:59 UTC

On Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 1:37:09 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?

he dared go against the mighty coca-cola empire and sported the colors and emblems of their rivals

> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.

men in black

> I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.
>
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?

does not fly on saturday and sunday

> 2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?

21% nitrogen 6% phosphoric acid 12% potash

> 3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?

knit 2 stitches together, pass slipped stitch over

> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?

4 wheels lead, 6 coupled wheels, 2 wheels trail

> 5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?

7 times magnification, 35mm lens

> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

6 spades doubled

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?

4th printing

> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

spain

> 9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
> of the number mean?

diplomat

> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

castling

> Please decode the rot13 after you are finished with all 10 questions:
> Vs nal bs lbhe nafjref zragvba n zrnfherzrag, tb onpx naq svk gurz
> vs arprffnel fb gung lbh unir rkcyvpvgyl fgngrq rknpgyl jung dhnagvgl
> vf orvat zrnfherq, naq va jung havgf.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?

1st female hockey player in nhl

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

invented basketball

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

marquis de queensberry

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968

> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

rugby england

> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rule maker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
> the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
> the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
> changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
> "father of American football".

camp

> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
> first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
> instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
> defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.

frank shaughnessy

> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
> Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
> but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
> the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
> runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
> the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
> was it?

alex cartwright

> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistiké. What do we call it?

tennis

> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

bielmann

> --
> Mark Brader | "Rleadse negiifu uoug assount 'u somrletiing the fogm...
> Toronto | We arologiize fog anu iinsonneniiense."
> m...@vex.net | --Seen in spam
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<sah2t0$sd1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3065&group=rec.games.trivia#3065

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 22:11:28 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 03:11 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?
>
> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.
>
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?
> 2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?

Quantities of Nitrogen, Potassium, and Hydrogen

> 3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?
> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?
> 5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?
> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

6 spades not made; 6 spades made

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?
> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain

> 9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
> of the number mean?
>
> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?
>
> Please decode the rot13 after you are finished with all 10 questions:
> Vs nal bs lbhe nafjref zragvba n zrnfherzrag, tb onpx naq svk gurz
> vs arprffnel fb gung lbh unir rkcyvpvgyl fgngrq rknpgyl jung dhnagvgl
> vf orvat zrnfherq, naq va jung havgf.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?

First woman goalie in the NHL

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

Invented basketball

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

Marques of Queensbury

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968

> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

Rugby

> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
> the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
> the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
> changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
> "father of American football".
>
> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
> first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
> instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
> defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.

Rockne; Gipp

> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
> Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
> but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
> the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
> runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
> the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
> was it?

Spalding

> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistiké. What do we call it?
>
> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

Bieleman

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<sahdfj$r7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3066&group=rec.games.trivia#3066

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:12:01 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 06:12 UTC

On 6/16/21 10:37 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?
>
> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.
>
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations
>
> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.
>
> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?
> 2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?
> 3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?
> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?

number of wheels in each set of axles

> 5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?

magnification x diameter of primary lens in mm

> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

6 spades doubled

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?

fourth printing

> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain

> 9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
> of the number mean?
>
> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

castling

> Please decode the rot13 after you are finished with all 10 questions:
> Vs nal bs lbhe nafjref zragvba n zrnfherzrag, tb onpx naq svk gurz
> vs arprffnel fb gung lbh unir rkcyvpvgyl fgngrq rknpgyl jung dhnagvgl
> vf orvat zrnfherq, naq va jung havgf.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators
>
> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?
> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

invented basketball

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

Marquess of Queensberry

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968

> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

Rugby

> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
> the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
> the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
> changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
> "father of American football".

Walter Camp

> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
> first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
> instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
> defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.
>
> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
> Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
> but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
> the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
> runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
> the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
> was it?
>
> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistiké. What do we call it?
>
> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<mrednStLuZ52VVP9nZ2dnUU7-K3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=rec.games.trivia#3068

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 23:49:47 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 04:49 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
> school in Evans, Georgia?

He wore a Pepsi shirt to school on "Coke in Education Day".
Stephen got this.

> 2. Yeah, yeah, "Titanic" won enough Oscars to build a bonfire,
> and Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt got theirs. Now tell us which
> humorous film won the award for makeup.

"Men in Black". Joshua and Stephen got this.

> I wrote one of these rounds and part of the other.

The science round was mine; and I contributed some questions to the
sports round, but I'm not sure exactly how much of it.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science (sort of) - Coded Abbreviations

> Be as specific and detailed as necessary.

For many of these it was easy to guess part of the answer, so I was
pretty strict on rejecting partial answers.

> 1. In an airline timetable, what does "X67" mean?

Does not operate Saturdays and Sundays. 4 for Bruce, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 2. On a fertilizer package, what does "21-6-12" mean?

21% (available) nitrogen, 6% phosphoric acid (phosphorus was okay),
12% potash (potassium was okay). 4 for Stephen.

You were asked what it means, not what it refers to. Stephen is
the only one who answered that.

> 3. In knitting, what does "K2 tog, PSSO" mean?

Knit 2 (stitches) together, pass slipped stitch over. And don't
ask me what *that* means! 4 for Stephen.

> 4. In describing steam locomotives, what does "4-6-2" mean?

4 leading wheels, 6 (coupled) driving wheels, 2 trailing wheels.
And *do* ask me what that means, if you like. 4 for Bruce.

Only Bruce explained that the set of 6 wheels are the driving wheels.

> 5. In describing binoculars, what does "7×35" mean?

7 power magnification, 35 mm objective lens diameter. 4 for Bruce,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?

(A contract of) 6 spades, doubled. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 7. On the copyright page of a book, what does "10 9 8 7 6 5 4" mean?

Fourth printing. (One number is erased from the end with each
printing. In the days of metal type, grinding a digit off the plate
saved the cost of typesetting a whole new page.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. In Internet national domains, what does ".es" mean?

Spain. (España.) 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. On a *red* Ontario license plate, what does "CD" at the start
> of the number mean?

Diplomatic corps. (So don't have an accident with this guy; he
probably won't be held responsible. The red color is a nice touch.)
4 for Stephen.

> 10. In relation to chess, what type of move do O-O and O-O-O
> refer to?

Castling. 4 for Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Sports - Inventors and Innovators

> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?

First woman professional hockey player. (Also first woman NHL player,
although she only ever appeared in an exhibition game.) 4 for Bruce,
Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. What's the main claim to fame of James Naismith?

Invented basketball. (1891, Springfield, MA. He was asked to come
up with an indoor sport for the winter.) 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This question concerns an activity that people have probably
> engaged in for as long as there have been people, but we won't
> ask you to name it. In 1743, Jack Broughton drew up a set of
> rules in an attempt to make it a reputable sport. These rules
> were replaced by the "London rules", and then in 1865 what
> are essentially the present-day rules were produced under the
> auspices of John Sholto Douglas. And the question is, *by what
> title* is Douglas better known?

Marquis of Queensberry. (Boxing.) 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

A version of this question, not naming the sport and with less
of the historical detail, was the "Final Jeopardy!" question on
"Jeopardy!" on 2020-02-10. Another version, this time mentioning
"fisticuffs" and giving his aristocratic rank (and thus just asking
for "Queensberry"), was an $800 question on the show on 2021-06-03.
Both times all three players missed it.

> 4. In what year did Dick Fosbury's revolutionary Fosbury Flop win
> him the Olympic gold medal for high-jumping?

1968. 4 for Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. We told you a few weeks ago about the Scottish decree of 1457
> that "golff be utterly cryit doune and not usit." What we
> didn't mention was that it also applied, with equal success, to
> "fute-ball". The evolution from the game that most of the world
> calls football to the game of the same name on this continent
> was a complicated one, but it began, or is said to have begun,
> when a player with "a fine disregard for the rules" picked up
> the ball and ran with it. Some sources give his name as Ellis
> and the date as 1823; others say it was Mackie in 1838 or 1839.
> But in what *city or town* did this event allegedly take place?

Rugby (England). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The subsequent transition to American football is primarily
> credited to one rulemaker. In the period 1880-83 he replaced
> the scrum with the scrimmage, he invented the down, he reduced
> the team from 15 players to 11, and he also adopted the first
> changes that led to the modern scoring system. Name this
> "father of American football".

Walter Camp. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Canadian football developed in parallel. A major influence
> on it was this man, a former Notre Dame ["NOTE-er DAIM"]
> player and coach who came to McGill University in 1912 as the
> first professional football coach in Canada. Innovations he
> instituted in play or recommended in rules included the secondary
> defense, double-teaming, backfield motion, the forward pass,
> and a reduction of teams from 14 to 12 players. Name him.

Frank "Frag" Shaughnessy. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. To the extent that baseball has a single inventor, it was the
> man who founded the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club of New York.
> Many similar games, such as town ball, were played at the time;
> but in this man's rules of 1845, the batter stood at home plate,
> the arrangement of bases was fixed as a 90-foot square, and
> runners had to be put out by tagging them rather than throwing
> the ball at them. His name was *not* Abner Doubleday: what
> was it?

Alexander Cartwright. (The claim that Doubleday invented baseball
was promoted for commercial reasons after his death.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> 9. Although Harry Gem had previously organized a club where this
> sport was played, Walter Clopton Wingfield was the first to
> produce a set of rules for it. That was in 1873, and he called
> the game Sphairistiké. What do we call it?

Tennis. 4 for Bruce and Stephen.

> 10. Name the figure skater who was the first to spin on one leg
> while holding her other leg straight up with both hands.

Denise Biellmann. (Hence "Biellmann spin", as mentioned in Game 10,
Round 4, of the 2007 season that I posted earlier.) 4 for Stephen
and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Spo
Stephen Perry 36 40 76
Joshua Kreitzer 16 28 44
Bruce Bowler 20 20 40
Dan Tilque 20 20 40
Pete Gayde 4 24 28
Dan Blum 12 8 20
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Why do they do that?"
msb@vex.net "Because they can."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<XnsAD4F716D13981Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3070&group=rec.games.trivia#3070

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:09:00 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:09 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 1. Why was student Mike Cameron suspended for a day from his high
>> school in Evans, Georgia?
>
> He wore a Pepsi shirt to school on "Coke in Education Day".
> Stephen got this.

Reminds me of when I visited the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta. The entrance
ward kindly asked me to take off my cap. I had bought it at the birthplace
of Pepsi 1½ week earlier.

(I bought a t-shirt at the museum, and now I always wear then together
to strike a balance.)
>> 6. In bridge (especially duplicate bridge), what does "6SX" mean?
>
> (A contract of) 6 spades, doubled. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

Since I'm a bridge player, I guess I was expected to get this. But in
Sweden we are more inclined to use D and RD rather than X and XX. (But
then again, many bidding cards have X and XX, so it its not unknown to
me.) Also, in the protocol, there is a separate column for double/
redouble, so it is more like "6S D".

Kind of lame excuses. Maybe I simply was tired when I filled in my
answer slate.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<XnsAD4F8025B9B3Dgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3073&group=rec.games.trivia#3073

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:35:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:35 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:mrednStLuZ52VVP9nZ2dnUU7-
K3NnZ2d@giganews.com:

>> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rh�aume?
>
> First woman professional hockey player. (Also first woman NHL player,
> although she only ever appeared in an exhibition game.) 4 for Bruce,
> Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

I believe Rh�aume was not the first woman to be a professional hockey
player; Karen Koch played professionally for the Marquette Iron Rangers of
the United States Hockey League in 1969-70, before Rh�aume was born. See
https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/7/6/15904278/womens-hockey-history-
origins-pioneer-karen-koch-marquette-iron-rangers-goalie-ushl-pro-paid-to-
play for more information.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 2-3 answers: coded abbrevs, sports innovators

<nKudnTqhMoWcMFL9nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3075&group=rec.games.trivia#3075

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 16:02:57 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 21:02 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 1. What's the main claim to fame of Manon Rhéaume?
>>
>> First woman professional hockey player. (Also first woman NHL player,
>> although she only ever appeared in an exhibition game.) 4 for Bruce,
>> Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.
Joshua Kreitzer:
> I believe Rhéaume was not the first woman to be a professional hockey
> player; Karen Koch played professionally for the Marquette Iron Rangers of
> the United States Hockey League in 1969-70, before Rhéaume was born. See
> https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/7/6/15904278/womens-hockey-history-origins-pioneer-karen-koch-marquette-iron-rangers-goalie-ushl-pro-paid-to-play
> for more information.

Thanks, interesting. I would've accepted the expected answer anyway,
but in fact all four entrants who got this gave the NHL answer.
--
Mark Brader "Hey, I don't want to control people's lives!
Toronto (If they did things right, I wouldn't have to.)"