Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. -- Pink Floyd

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

SubjectAuthor
* Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)Mike Duffy
+- Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)GM
+* Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)joecool@this.is.invalid
|`* Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)Mike Duffy
| `- Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)GM
`- Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)GM

1
Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<66154b5a$0$2909308$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307537&group=rec.food.cooking#307537

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Subject: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)
Date: 09 Apr 2024 14:06:18 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:06 UTC

Last week I bought a tuber for no apparent reason.

Suggestions? I already know about the cyanide.

Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<87ffc6c31f613cc5092105ca99a0015f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307538&group=rec.food.cooking#307538

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:18:05 +0000
 by: GM - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:18 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:

> Last week I bought a tuber for no apparent reason.

> Suggestions? I already know about the cyanide.

Too bad Unca Tojo flew the coop, he could prolly give you some "ideas"...

CASSAVA/TAPIOCA

PACIFIC FOOD GUIDE / GROWN FROM THE GROUND / CASSAVA/TAPIOCA

https://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/pacificfoodguide/index.php/grown-from-the-ground/cassava/

CASSAVA/TAPIOCA

"Cassava is a root-bearing shrub that grows best on light sandy loam soils but can tolerate poor soils and extreme rainfall. The two main types of cassava are the sweet and bitter variety. The sweet cassava has lower cyanide present under the skin, which disappears in the process of coking. Both the mature cassava and the young leaves are normally eaten. Cassava that is processed into flour is called tapioca

Preparation:

Wash the root and leaves well before use.

Do not eat cassava root or leaves raw.

Boil the leaves in water to get rid of the bitterness.

Pour away the water when the leaves are tender.

To make tapioca flour, peel and ground the corm with a stone or mortar. Put ground material in a cloth for the starch to settle at the bottom and dry wet starch in the sun..."

ALOHA...!!!

--
GM

Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<619999949.734407374.187768.Joe@news.us.Usenet-News.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307569&group=rec.food.cooking#307569

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: ...@oe (joecool@this.is.invalid)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 02:06:05 GMT
 by: joecool@this.is.inva - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 02:06 UTC

Mike Duffy <mxduffy@bell.net> wrote:
> Last week I bought a tuber for no apparent reason.
>
> Suggestions? I already know about the cyanide.

Chop into fries, boil first, then put in air fryer. They are pretty good
that way. Dip in whatever you like I guess. (Ketchup/mayo/etc).

Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<6615f95b$0$2422114$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307571&group=rec.food.cooking#307571

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 10 Apr 2024 02:28:43 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 02:28 UTC

On 2024-04-10, joecool this.is.invalid wrote:

> Chop into fries, boil first, then put in air fryer. They
> are pretty goodthat way. Dip in whatever you like I guess.

I peeled then sliced 1/4" rounds then fried a leyer in a frying pan
as the 'starch' component of breakfast this AM. They were okay; I
wanted to taste them without any condiments. (Just eggs & sausages
with a side of bell pepper / 'dry shallots' / shitake stir-fry.)

Tomorrow, I intend to dice then stir & microwave repetively,
possibly using butter to get something akin to mashed potatoes.

Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<a5a2fb10f039779d069839c7e088730b@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307577&group=rec.food.cooking#307577

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:50:32 +0000
 by: GM - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:50 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:

> On 2024-04-10, joecool this.is.invalid wrote:

>> Chop into fries, boil first, then put in air fryer. They
>> are pretty goodthat way. Dip in whatever you like I guess.

> I peeled then sliced 1/4" rounds then fried a leyer in a frying pan
> as the 'starch' component of breakfast this AM. They were okay; I
> wanted to taste them without any condiments. (Just eggs & sausages
> with a side of bell pepper / 'dry shallots' / shitake stir-fry.)

> Tomorrow, I intend to dice then stir & microwave repetively,
> possibly using butter to get something akin to mashed potatoes.

Far more people are killed by deer each year than by crocodiles, but would you go swimming with crocodiles..???

--
GM

Re: Cassave / Manioc / Yucca (Manihot Esculenta)

<b3d593d91f11490a023a9f10b9e928bd@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307578&group=rec.food.cooking#307578

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:46:32 +0000
 by: GM - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:46 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:

> Last week I bought a tuber for no apparent reason.

> Suggestions? I already know about the cyanide.

"There have been researchers excavating at the 1815 Battle of Waterloo since 2012, and they have found just two bodies. But at least 10,000 men were killed there. That leaves 9998 still missing. That got us wondering—what if the fate of these men was different than we thought?"

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2024/04/the-20-bill-gets-picked-up.html

The $20 bill gets picked up, body parts markets in everything

by Tyler Cowen April 10, 2024 at 12:52 am in Economics History

"At the 1815 Battle of Waterloo, Napoleon Bonaparte’s final battle, more than 10,000 men and as many horses were killed in a single day. Yet today, archaeologists often struggle to find physical evidence of the dead from that bloody time period. Plowing and construction are usually the culprits behind missing historical remains, but they can’t explain the loss here. How did so many bones up and vanish?

In a new book, an international team of historians and archaeologists argues the bones were depleted by industrial-scale grave robbing. The introduction of phosphates for fertilizer and bone char as an ingredient in beet sugar processing at the beginning of the 19th century transformed bones into a hot commodity. Skyrocketing prices prompted raids on mass graves across Europe—and beyond..."

Full article here:

https://www.science.org/content/article/now-we-know-where-dead-went-did-grave-robbers-plunder-battlefields

‘Now we know where the dead went.’ Did grave robbers plunder battlefields?

Bones went to fertilizer and sugar processing, book argues

In a new book, an international team of historians and archaeologists argues the bones were depleted by industrial-scale grave robbing. The introduction of phosphates for fertilizer and bone char as an ingredient in beet sugar processing at the beginning of the 19th century transformed bones into a hot commodity. Skyrocketing prices prompted raids on mass graves across Europe—and beyond.

Science talked to co-authors Bernard Wilkin, a historian at the State Archives of Belgium, and archaeologist Arne Homann, director of the City Museum of Salzgitter, about the historical trade and its implications.

This interview has been edited for concision and clarity.

Q: How did this research start?

Bernard Wilkin: There have been researchers excavating at Waterloo since 2012, and they have found just two bodies. But at least 10,000 men were killed there. That leaves 9998 still missing. That got us wondering—what if the fate of these men was different than we thought?

Arne Homann: Especially for the Napoleonic times, there’s this odd feeling—where are all the dead people?

B.W.: Together with German historian Rob Schäfer, I started looking in the Belgian, German, and British archives. We found that in the 1830s, the Waterloo area became a sugar beet production hot spot. There were two sugar factories within a few kilometers of the battlefield. The filtration process required burned bone—lots of it. Historical evidence suggests it came from the battlefield itself.

Q: How widespread was this practice?

B.W.: It turns out what happened at Waterloo was only the tip of the iceberg.

A.H.: The use of bone for the sugar industry was bigger than we knew. It was happening at Napoleonic battlefields all over Europe. Now we know where the dead went.

Q: Why would people resort to robbing battlefields when they presumably could have used animal bones from slaughterhouses?

A.H.: Europe’s population more than doubled in the 19th century. The markets for fertilizer and sugar boomed, and suddenly there was lots of competition for this particular resource.

B.W.: In the 1830s, bones were suddenly worth a lot of money. In Belgium, the first beet sugar factories were built in 1833; the price for 100 kilos of bones went from 2 francs to 14 francs between 1832 and 1837. That’s a sevenfold increase in just 5 years. Battlefield bones were easy to find, easy to access, and no one really cared about them. A lot of farmers living near these battlefields realized there’s gold in the ground.

Q: Is it possible to prove this archaeologically?

A.H.: If you dig a burial pit into the subsoil, when you take the dead out and backfill it, the soil will be a different color. The bigger problem is recognizing that the pit you’ve found might have been a mass grave. I’m convinced we have documented examples of looted graves out there, but archaeologists didn’t realize what they were looking at. On every historic battlefield, we should have an eye out for emptied mass graves.

Q: Did this trade target other kinds of burial grounds, too?

B.W.: This goes way beyond battlefields. At some point a local official in Paris suggested the catacombs under the city be emptied and sent to sugar factories. We know there were medieval cemeteries in Scotland and England that were emptied out and sold; measures to ban the practice were proposed, debated—and defeated—in the British Parliament.

Q: Did this happen outside Europe?

B.W.: There are newspaper accounts from the U.S. of bone collecting on Civil War battlefields, but right now we can’t say how common it was.

At some point we know they ran out of accessible bones in Europe and turned to colonies abroad. The French dug up cemeteries in Algeria and shipped the bones to sugar factories in Marseille; we know the British imported mummies and bones from Egypt on an industrial scale, destroying untold heritage in the process.

Q: Why were some battlefields and mass graves looted but not others?

A.H.: Places where the location of mass graves was within living memory, or within a generation, were in the most danger. That’s why there’s so little left from the late 18th and early 19th century, but you still find battlefield graves from the Middle Ages.

Q: How long did this go on?

B.W.: There’s good evidence it was still happening after World War I, on parts of the former Western Front. There are multiple instances of French lawmakers passing local laws to protect battlefields in the 1920s.

Q: It all seems … ghoulish.

B.W.: I wouldn’t say these were grave-robbing monsters. For the most part, they were poor farmers who seized an opportunity. In Belgium, there was maybe a sense at the time that these were foreign armies who came, destroyed everything, and left their dead. Locals didn’t have an emotional connection. They saw digging up bones as a pragmatic solution to their problems..."