From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Apple trees in full bloom!
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:38:42 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:38 UTC

Garden shaping up well.

Here's the Apple trees showing off fpr each other. The near one is
golden delicious and the further is a granny smith. Cross cultivars.

https://postimg.cc/SnZWC0SB

Here's 1 of 3 cherry fruit trees.

https://postimg.cc/v48r48s7

And a bonus! First year trying seeds and the Delicata squash is taking
off!

https://postimg.cc/w7Q5xyST

Yosterday I counted 14 plants, this morning it's 18.

Re: Apple trees in full bloom!

<6616fa51$0$1082200$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307609&group=rec.food.cooking#307609

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: Apple trees in full bloom!
Date: 10 Apr 2024 20:45:05 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:45 UTC

On 2024-04-10, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> Garden shaping up well.
>
> Here's the Apple trees showing off fpr each other. The near one is
> golden delicious and the further is a granny smith. Cross cultivars.
>
> https://postimg.cc/SnZWC0SB
>
> Here's 1 of 3 cherry fruit trees.
>
> https://postimg.cc/v48r48s7
>
> And a bonus! First year trying seeds and the Delicata squash is taking
> off!
>
> https://postimg.cc/w7Q5xyST
>
> Yosterday I counted 14 plants, this morning it's 18.

We're having an unusually warm spring. Lows in the 40's for the
most part--about 10 F warmer than average. The lilacs have very
tight panicles of buds, about a month early.

I still don't trust it. We could easily see a hard freeze yet
this spring.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Apple trees in full bloom!

<Z8DRN.162965$_a1e.12021@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307610&group=rec.food.cooking#307610

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:03:52 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 21:03 UTC

On 2024-04-10 4:45 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-04-10, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>> Garden shaping up well.
>>
>> Here's the Apple trees showing off fpr each other. The near one is
>> golden delicious and the further is a granny smith. Cross cultivars.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/SnZWC0SB
>>
>> Here's 1 of 3 cherry fruit trees.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/v48r48s7
>>
>> And a bonus! First year trying seeds and the Delicata squash is taking
>> off!
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/w7Q5xyST
>>
>> Yosterday I counted 14 plants, this morning it's 18.
>
> We're having an unusually warm spring. Lows in the 40's for the
> most part--about 10 F warmer than average. The lilacs have very
> tight panicles of buds, about a month early.
>
> I still don't trust it. We could easily see a hard freeze yet
> this spring.

You are a little ahead of us. There used to be an apple orchard next
door but the farmer sold it about 20 years ago. He had a couple more
down the road and sold them off about 10 years ago when he retired so I
don't see the blossoms out my windows. There are still lots of other
orchards around. There are thousands of acres of fruit trees in this
area. They should be blossoming any day. Forsythia appeared yesterday.
My wife will be thrilled that all of ours have bountiful blossoms. For
years we had almost no flowers at all on them. The neighbour's bushes
would be masses of yellow flowers and ours would have 4-5 on each bush.
Pretty dismal.

Re: Apple trees in full bloom!

<XaqdnYDPUb6QrYX7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307661&group=rec.food.cooking#307661

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:46:37 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:46 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2024-04-10, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> > Garden shaping up well.
> >
> > Here's the Apple trees showing off fpr each other. The near one is
> > golden delicious and the further is a granny smith. Cross
> > cultivars.
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/SnZWC0SB
> >
> > Here's 1 of 3 cherry fruit trees.
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/v48r48s7
> >
> > And a bonus! First year trying seeds and the Delicata squash is
> > taking off!
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/w7Q5xyST
> >
> > Yosterday I counted 14 plants, this morning it's 18.
>
> We're having an unusually warm spring. Lows in the 40's for the
> most part--about 10 F warmer than average. The lilacs have very
> tight panicles of buds, about a month early.
>
> I still don't trust it. We could easily see a hard freeze yet
> this spring.

Yeah. last year I planted too early and lost most of it. I was busy
wrapping up into retirement and just didn't get back to it until too
late.

Re: Apple trees in full bloom!

<jnudne3T8fGWrIX7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307662&group=rec.food.cooking#307662

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:50:51 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:50 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2024-04-10 4:45 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >On 2024-04-10, cshenk <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
> > > Garden shaping up well.
> > >
> > > Here's the Apple trees showing off fpr each other. The near one
> > > is golden delicious and the further is a granny smith. Cross
> > > cultivars.
> > >
> > > https://postimg.cc/SnZWC0SB
> > >
> > > Here's 1 of 3 cherry fruit trees.
> > >
> > > https://postimg.cc/v48r48s7
> > >
> > > And a bonus! First year trying seeds and the Delicata squash is
> > > taking off!
> > >
> > > https://postimg.cc/w7Q5xyST
> > >
> > > Yosterday I counted 14 plants, this morning it's 18.
> >
> > We're having an unusually warm spring. Lows in the 40's for the
> > most part--about 10 F warmer than average. The lilacs have very
> > tight panicles of buds, about a month early.
> >
> > I still don't trust it. We could easily see a hard freeze yet
> > this spring.
> >

> You are a little ahead of us. There used to be an apple orchard next
> door but the farmer sold it about 20 years ago. He had a couple more
> down the road and sold them off about 10 years ago when he retired so
> I don't see the blossoms out my windows. There are still lots of
> other orchards around. There are thousands of acres of fruit trees in
> this area. They should be blossoming any day. Forsythia appeared
> yesterday. My wife will be thrilled that all of ours have bountiful
> blossoms. For years we had almost no flowers at all on them. The
> neighbour's bushes would be masses of yellow flowers and ours would
> have 4-5 on each bush. Pretty dismal.

Hotter climate but several types like it. Red apples pretty much need
colder climes but the 'pink lady' type likes us!