There's no such thing as pure pleasure; some anxiety always goes with it.

interests / rec.food.cooking / More money than sense

SubjectAuthor
* More money than senseBryanGSimmons
+- Re: More money than senseCindy Hamilton
+* Re: More money than senseD
|`* Re: More money than senseBryanGSimmons
| `- Re: More money than senseD
`- Re: More money than senseF4099

1
More money than sense

<6617c795$0$2422127$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307638&group=rec.food.cooking#307638

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 06:20:40 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
Subject: More money than sense
 by: BryanGSimmons - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:20 UTC

Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a package
of Charmin in her cart. It was priced $10.99. Starting today through
Saturday, they have it on sale for $4.99. It's right on the front page
of the ad. There was a pallet of it in the aisle to get ready for
today's sale. Careless shoppers subsidize the buying power of careful
shoppers.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: More money than sense

<6617dcfd$0$2363146$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307640&group=rec.food.cooking#307640

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: More money than sense
Date: 11 Apr 2024 12:52:13 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 12:52 UTC

On 2024-04-11, BryanGSimmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a package
> of Charmin in her cart. It was priced $10.99. Starting today through
> Saturday, they have it on sale for $4.99. It's right on the front page
> of the ad. There was a pallet of it in the aisle to get ready for
> today's sale. Careless shoppers subsidize the buying power of careful
> shoppers.

Maybe yesterday was the only day she was able to get to the grocery store.

Maybe she needed TP yesterday more than she needed $6.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: More money than sense

<cb5be077-f28b-2d5a-7335-5d5b3d9a92c1@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307645&group=rec.food.cooking#307645

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:43:08 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:43 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, BryanGSimmons wrote:

> Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a package of
> Charmin in her cart. It was priced $10.99. Starting today through Saturday,
> they have it on sale for $4.99. It's right on the front page of the ad.
> There was a pallet of it in the aisle to get ready for today's sale.
> Careless shoppers subsidize the buying power of careful shoppers.

Very much true. I've more or less tried to surgically remove all ads from
my life and that does mean I do not buy on sales. I buy what I need, when
I need it and otherwise I refrain from buying.

Happy that my spending then hopefully subsidizes other peoples purchases
based on the ads. ;)

Re: More money than sense

<6617f64b$0$2422120$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307648&group=rec.food.cooking#307648

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:39:58 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:39 UTC

On 4/11/2024 8:43 AM, D wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a
>> package of Charmin in her cart.  It was priced $10.99.  Starting today
>> through Saturday, they have it on sale for $4.99.  It's right on the
>> front page of the ad. There was a pallet of it in the aisle to get
>> ready for today's sale. Careless shoppers subsidize the buying power
>> of careful shoppers.
>
> Very much true. I've more or less tried to surgically remove all ads
> from my life and that does mean I do not buy on sales. I buy what I
> need, when I need it and otherwise I refrain from buying.
>
> Happy that my spending then hopefully subsidizes other peoples purchases
> based on the ads. ;)

Say for the first 5 years working full time I was paid an average of
$5/hour ($200/week). By saving only 5% by being frugal, and putting
that into the company retirement plan, where they would match that 5%,
and leaving that in until now, even if I never saved another penny, that
would total more than $110,000. If I kept working at jobs, and living
frugally enough to always put in that 5%, sure, the multiplier would
keep going down, but the base pay would be going up, and I'd have a tidy
amount of money right now. By watching sales, I have been able to enjoy
a nice lifestyle at reduced cost. I haven't had to forego steak or
shrimp or other pricey things, but I buy them when they're on sale.
Since the retailer needs to make their margin, that makes grocery
shopping a parimutuel thing, with careful shoppers being subsidized by
those who don't bother to try to save money.

So hey, thanks. I try to remember to think of you when I buy the
$6.99/# CAB sirloin steaks this week. ;)

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: More money than sense

<e721b445-1787-eb27-6c4b-5240c2ccc64e@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307657&group=rec.food.cooking#307657

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:07:17 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:07 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, BryanGSimmons wrote:

> On 4/11/2024 8:43 AM, D wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, BryanGSimmons wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a package
>>> of Charmin in her cart.  It was priced $10.99.  Starting today through
>>> Saturday, they have it on sale for $4.99.  It's right on the front page of
>>> the ad. There was a pallet of it in the aisle to get ready for today's
>>> sale. Careless shoppers subsidize the buying power of careful shoppers.
>>
>> Very much true. I've more or less tried to surgically remove all ads from
>> my life and that does mean I do not buy on sales. I buy what I need, when I
>> need it and otherwise I refrain from buying.
>>
>> Happy that my spending then hopefully subsidizes other peoples purchases
>> based on the ads. ;)
>>
> Say for the first 5 years working full time I was paid an average of $5/hour
> ($200/week). By saving only 5% by being frugal, and putting that into the
> company retirement plan, where they would match that 5%, and leaving that in
> until now, even if I never saved another penny, that would total more than
> $110,000. If I kept working at jobs, and living frugally enough to always
> put in that 5%, sure, the multiplier would keep going down, but the base pay
> would be going up, and I'd have a tidy amount of money right now. By
> watching sales, I have been able to enjoy a nice lifestyle at reduced cost.
> I haven't had to forego steak or shrimp or other pricey things, but I buy
> them when they're on sale. Since the retailer needs to make their margin,
> that makes grocery shopping a parimutuel thing, with careful shoppers being
> subsidized by those who don't bother to try to save money.
>
> So hey, thanks. I try to remember to think of you when I buy the $6.99/# CAB
> sirloin steaks this week. ;)

Very inspirational. You're welcome Bryan! ;)

Re: More money than sense

<20240412123312.451db541@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307707&group=rec.food.cooking#307707

From: fou...@road.ded (F4099)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:33:12 -0600
 by: F4099 - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:33 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 06:20:40 -0500
BryanGSimmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, when we were at the supermarket, I saw a woman toss a
> package of Charmin in her cart. It was priced $10.99. Starting
> today through Saturday, they have it on sale for $4.99. It's right
> on the front page of the ad. There was a pallet of it in the aisle
> to get ready for today's sale. Careless shoppers subsidize the
> buying power of careful shoppers.

Those are Biden prices for sure.

The Hunter sale comes with pre-teen girl wrapping.