Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Eclipse trouble

SubjectAuthor
* Eclipse troubleEd P
+* Re: Eclipse troubleItsJoanNotJoAnn
|`* Re: Eclipse troubleLeonard Blaisdell
| `* Re: Eclipse troubleMike Duffy
|  +- Re: Eclipse troubleBruce
|  `- Re: Eclipse troubleBryanGSimmons
+* Re: Eclipse troubleCindy Hamilton
|`* Re: Eclipse troubleSnag
| +- Re: Eclipse troubleDave Smith
| `- Re: Eclipse troubleBryanGSimmons
`* Re: Eclipse troubleDave Smith
 `* Re: Eclipse troubleEd P
  `* Re: Eclipse troublejmcquown
   `* Re: Eclipse troubleMike Duffy
    +* Re: Eclipse troubleDave Smith
    |`* Re: Eclipse troubleMike Duffy
    | `- Re: Eclipse troubleHank Rogers
    `* Re: Eclipse troublejmcquown
     `- Re: Eclipse troubleGM

1
Eclipse trouble

<6614450a$0$2909315$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307512&group=rec.food.cooking#307512

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:27:06 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Eclipse trouble
 by: Ed P - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:27 UTC

The max coverage here was at 3PM. I was told that when the moon goes
over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
out looking at the eclipse. Seems that is not true, but they are not
pressing charges.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<2c00de0651faab255ddefedc60a38ace@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307514&group=rec.food.cooking#307514

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:44:47 +0000
Subject: Re: Eclipse trouble
From: ItsJoanN...@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:44 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> The max coverage here was at 3PM. I was told that when the moon goes
> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
> out looking at the eclipse. Seems that is not true, but they are not
> pressing charges.

You've got enough to do planning the party for the next eclipse. No
need to risk getting yourself arrested for a prank.

I didn't even go outside as it's been pretty overcast all day with the
exception that just now it has cleared up for a while. (Rain tonight.)

Re: Eclipse trouble

<66145736$0$1082212$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307515&group=rec.food.cooking#307515

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 08 Apr 2024 20:44:38 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:44 UTC

On 2024-04-08, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
> The max coverage here was at 3PM. I was told that when the moon goes
> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
> out looking at the eclipse. Seems that is not true, but they are not
> pressing charges.

Aw, we didn't get that memo. I doubt our neighbors would have been
able to see us, anyway.

Ob Food (sort of): "Himself" got out the colander and used it as
a pinhole camera. We got a bunch of images of the partial eclipse
on a sheet of paper he laid on the ground: one for each hole in
the colander. Pays to keep company with an optics engineer.

Ob Senior Moment: I should make sure we didn't leave the
colander outside.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Eclipse trouble

<ecZQN.537755$vFZa.277193@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307519&group=rec.food.cooking#307519

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:20:09 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

On 2024-04-08 3:27 p.m., Ed P wrote:
> The max coverage here was at 3PM.  I was told that when the moon goes
> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
> out looking at the eclipse.  Seems that is not true, but they are not
> pressing charges.

I had an ophthamology appointment at 3:40 and the totality was
3:20-3:23. My plan was to go over early and to watch it from in front
of the office. There turned out to be no traffic jams even though the
clinic is about 8 miles from Niagara Falls, which had been a eclipse
destination for many thousands of people.

The clouds start to clear slowly and we caught glimpses of the prelude
to the totality. Then the clouds got thick and the only way we knew it
was really happening was that it got quite dark. I took some photos of
my wife to chronicle the change in ambient lighting but that was a waste
of time because my camera adjusted itself to get about the same lighting.

A few minutes about the big non event I went inside for my appointment.
I came out about an hour later and there was a clear sky but the event
was completely finished.

It had been overcast all morning.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<l7j6c7F8pirU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307520&group=rec.food.cooking#307520

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 8 Apr 2024 21:37:11 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 21:37 UTC

On 2024-04-08, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net> wrote:

> I didn't even go outside as it's been pretty overcast all day with the
> exception that just now it has cleared up for a while. (Rain tonight.)

I rolled out of the rack at 12:10 PM and missed the best it got here by
an hour. I turned on the TV and caught a live shot of totality in Northern
Maine.

[ObFood] Chili dogs tonight.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<uv1sif$3pa12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307525&group=rec.food.cooking#307525

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:54:03 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:54 UTC

On 4/8/2024 3:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-04-08, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>> The max coverage here was at 3PM. I was told that when the moon goes
>> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
>> out looking at the eclipse. Seems that is not true, but they are not
>> pressing charges.
>
> Aw, we didn't get that memo. I doubt our neighbors would have been
> able to see us, anyway.
>
> Ob Food (sort of): "Himself" got out the colander and used it as
> a pinhole camera. We got a bunch of images of the partial eclipse
> on a sheet of paper he laid on the ground: one for each hole in
> the colander. Pays to keep company with an optics engineer.
>
> Ob Senior Moment: I should make sure we didn't leave the
> colander outside.

We watched it at a neighbor's house . They had a friend over with her
6 kids , so I took the stuff needed to make a pinhole viewer . The kids
loved it . We were close to the center of the totality path , it was
pretty cool - didn't get as dark as my wife thought it would . The
neighbor's chickens huddled in a close group during the totality ,
spread right back out and went back to foraging as soon at it started to
get light again .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: Eclipse trouble

<66149386$0$2909305$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307526&group=rec.food.cooking#307526

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 21:01:59 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 01:01 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-04-08 3:27 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>> The max coverage here was at 3PM.  I was told that when the moon goes
>> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your
>> neighbors out looking at the eclipse.  Seems that is not true, but
>> they are not pressing charges.
>

> I had an ophthamology appointment at 3:40 and the totality was
> 3:20-3:23.  My plan was to go over early and to watch it from in front
> of the office. There turned out to be no traffic jams even though the
> clinic is about  8 miles from Niagara Falls, which had been a eclipse
> destination for many thousands of people.
>
> The clouds start to clear slowly and we caught glimpses of the prelude
> to the totality. Then the clouds got thick and the only way we knew it
> was really happening was that it got quite dark. I took some photos of
> my wife to chronicle the change in ambient lighting but that was a waste
> of time because my camera adjusted itself to get about the same lighting.
>
> A few minutes about the big non event I went inside for my appointment.
> I came out about an hour later and there was a clear sky but the event
> was completely finished.
>

> It had been overcast all morning.

I have a granddaughter that lives in Dallas. She sent a photo taken at
totality with an airplane passing along side. Nifty.

https://i.postimg.cc/3JkZ8Xcy/Eclipse.jpg

Re: Eclipse trouble

<yI1RN.537756$vFZa.366599@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307527&group=rec.food.cooking#307527

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:27:42 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 02:27 UTC

On 2024-04-08 6:54 p.m., Snag wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 3:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>

>   We watched it at a neighbor's house . They had a friend over with her
> 6 kids , so I took the stuff needed to make a pinhole viewer . The kids
> loved it . We were close to the center of the totality path , it was
> pretty cool - didn't get as dark as my wife thought it would . The
> neighbor's chickens huddled in a close group during the totality ,
> spread right back out and went back to foraging as soon at it started to
> get light again .

We caught only short glimpses of it where I was and then it the clouds
got thicker and obscured the totality. It got pretty dark. When I got
home I watched the local news coverage from Niagara Falls, which was
about 8 miles from there and it appeared to be a lot darker.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<6614ae2f$0$2422125$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307528&group=rec.food.cooking#307528

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 09 Apr 2024 02:55:43 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 02:55 UTC

On 2024-04-08, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I turned on the TV and caught a live shot
> of totality in Northern Maine.

I was somewhat north of that. Me & the wife and the dog
made a wee trip to get 2 and a half minutes of totality.

The sky was completely clear, and except for the almost
blind dog, we had an exceptional display, given the
current state of solar magnetodynamics.

It was certainly worth a few hours on the road,
and I even sort of understand how enthusiasts of
occult phenomena can spend ridiculous amounts
of money to relive the experience regularly.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<uv2g8d$10k6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307529&group=rec.food.cooking#307529

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 14:30:04 +1000
 by: Bruce - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 04:30 UTC

On 09 Apr 2024 02:55:43 GMT, Mike Duffy <mxduffy@bell.net> wrote:

>the wife and the dog

ghe ghe

Re: Eclipse trouble

<6615cccd$0$2909310$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307560&group=rec.food.cooking#307560

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:18:29 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:18 UTC

On 4/8/2024 9:55 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-04-08, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> I turned on the TV and caught a live shot
>> of totality in Northern Maine.
>
> I was somewhat north of that. Me & the wife and the dog
> made a wee trip to get 2 and a half minutes of totality.
>
> The sky was completely clear, and except for the almost
> blind dog, we had an exceptional display, given the
> current state of solar magnetodynamics.
>
> It was certainly worth a few hours on the road,
> and I even sort of understand how enthusiasts of
> occult phenomena can spend ridiculous amounts
> of money to relive the experience regularly.

We drove to where we had a little over 4 minutes of totality. We left
early in the morning, and missed the bad traffic. We camped overnight,
and were on the road home before 7:30 AM, so we again missed the
traffic. Some folks were on the road for 6+ hours to drive not much
more than 200 KM. There was a really cool prominence that was very red.
It was like a platinum ring with a tiny ruby stone.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Eclipse trouble

<6615e4b4$0$2909319$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307563&group=rec.food.cooking#307563

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:00:27 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (BryanGSimmons)
 by: BryanGSimmons - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:00 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:54 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 3:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2024-04-08, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>> The max coverage here was at 3PM.  I was told that when the moon goes
>>> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your neighbors
>>> out looking at the eclipse.  Seems that is not true, but they are not
>>> pressing charges.
>>
>> Aw, we didn't get that memo.  I doubt our neighbors would have been
>> able to see us, anyway.
>>
>> Ob Food (sort of):  "Himself" got out the colander and used it as
>> a pinhole camera.  We got a bunch of images of the partial eclipse
>> on a sheet of paper he laid on the ground:  one for each hole in
>> the colander.  Pays to keep company with an optics engineer.
>>
>> Ob Senior Moment:  I should make sure we didn't leave the
>> colander outside.
>>

>   We watched it at a neighbor's house . They had a friend over with her
> 6 kids , so I took the stuff needed to make a pinhole viewer . The kids
> loved it . We were close to the center of the totality path , it was
> pretty cool - didn't get as dark as my wife thought it would . The
> neighbor's chickens huddled in a close group during the totality ,
> spread right back out and went back to foraging as soon at it started to
> get light again .

We watched from a cemetery in rural MO. There was a farm across the
road, and the chickens started making really odd sounds as the eclipse
went on. As we left, we saw why. They weren't chickens, but guineas.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Re: Eclipse trouble

<uv8h5h$1lhl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307637&group=rec.food.cooking#307637

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:22:19 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:22 UTC

On 4/8/2024 9:01 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 5:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2024-04-08 3:27 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>>> The max coverage here was at 3PM.  I was told that when the moon goes
>>> over the sun, it is a good luck celebratory thing to moon your
>>> neighbors out looking at the eclipse.  Seems that is not true, but
>>> they are not pressing charges.
>>

>> I had an ophthamology appointment at 3:40 and the totality was
>> 3:20-3:23.  My plan was to go over early and to watch it from in front
>> of the office. There turned out to be no traffic jams even though the
>> clinic is about  8 miles from Niagara Falls, which had been a eclipse
>> destination for many thousands of people.
>>
>> The clouds start to clear slowly and we caught glimpses of the prelude
>> to the totality. Then the clouds got thick and the only way we knew it
>> was really happening was that it got quite dark. I took some photos of
>> my wife to chronicle the change in ambient lighting but that was a
>> waste of time because my camera adjusted itself to get about the same
>> lighting.
>>
>> A few minutes about the big non event I went inside for my
>> appointment. I came out about an hour later and there was a clear sky
>> but the event was completely finished.
>>

>> It had been overcast all morning.
>
> I have a granddaughter that lives in Dallas.  She sent a photo taken at
> totality with an airplane passing along side.  Nifty.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/3JkZ8Xcy/Eclipse.jpg

I wonder if the people on the plane had to wear special glasses ;)

Jill

Re: Eclipse trouble

<6617ed50$0$1129689$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307647&group=rec.food.cooking#307647

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 11 Apr 2024 14:01:52 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:01 UTC

On 2024-04-11, jmcquown wrote:

> Ed wrote:

>> I have a granddaughter that lives in Dallas.
>> She sent a photo taken at totality with an airplane
>> passing along side.  Nifty.

> I wonder if the people on the plane had to wear special glasses ;)

I notice you're kidding (';'). Nonetheless, I heard straight-faced
advice on the local news media warning people NOT to drive
while wearing the blackout glasses.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<OJTRN.856884$p%Mb.723478@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307651&group=rec.food.cooking#307651

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:55:25 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:55 UTC

On 2024-04-11 10:01 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-04-11, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Ed wrote:
>
>>> I have a granddaughter that lives in Dallas.
>>> She sent a photo taken at totality with an airplane
>>> passing along side.  Nifty.
>
>> I wonder if the people on the plane had to wear special glasses ;)
>
> I notice you're kidding (';'). Nonetheless, I heard straight-faced
> advice on the local news media warning people NOT to drive
> while wearing the blackout glasses.

There was a lot of strange advice given to people about safety and the
eclipse. I joked about driving home from the ophthamologist after my
appointment. Only a fool could think it was possible to drive with them
because they block out so much like they are like a black screen. There
was a big stink about pet safety and how you had to keep your pets
inside during the eclipse because they would go blind. What a crock.
Dogs and cat's do not stare at the sky. We had our dog with us while we
watched the totality and my wife took him for a walk while I went in for
my appointment. I kept an eye on him and he didn't look up at all.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<66181c1a$0$1258340$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307652&group=rec.food.cooking#307652

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 11 Apr 2024 17:21:30 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:21 UTC

On 2024-04-11, Dave Smith wrote:

> There was a lot of strange advice [...] about pet safety
> and how you had to keep your pets inside during the eclipse
> [...] We had our dog with us [...] he didn't look up at all.

Perhaps a very intelligent dog might just to see what
everyone is looking at. This does not include my dog though.
In any case, she's pretty much blind already due to cataracts.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<uv9pij$1ujcd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307673&group=rec.food.cooking#307673

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:51:58 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 22:51 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-04-11, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> There was a lot of strange advice [...] about pet safety
>> and how you had to keep your pets inside during the eclipse
>> [...] We had our dog with us [...] he didn't look up at all.
>
> Perhaps a very intelligent dog might just to see what
> everyone is looking at. This does not include my dog though.
> In any case, she's pretty much blind already due to cataracts.

Years ago I had a female german shepard that always intensely looked at
whatever I was looking at. I remember one time I was replacing brake pads
on a car, and she stuck her head between me and the brakes, so I couldn't
see the stuff I was working on. Had to get her out of the garage to finish
the job. Many other memories of her looking at what I looked at. Otherwise
she was a damn good dog, smart, very loyal, maybe just a tad on the
aggressive side. I still miss her. RIP Lady.

Re: Eclipse trouble

<uvcga4$2jqat$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307827&group=rec.food.cooking#307827

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:32:14 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:32 UTC

On 4/11/2024 10:01 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-04-11, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Ed wrote:
>
>>> I have a granddaughter that lives in Dallas.
>>> She sent a photo taken at totality with an airplane
>>> passing along side.  Nifty.
>
>> I wonder if the people on the plane had to wear special glasses ;)
>
> I notice you're kidding (';'). Nonetheless, I heard straight-faced
> advice on the local news media warning people NOT to drive
> while wearing the blackout glasses.

Driving... not flying as a passenger in a plane. Not something I'd
thought about until Ed posted this picture:

https://i.postimg.cc/3JkZ8Xcy/Eclipse.jpg

Jill

Re: Eclipse trouble

<f9565dad683e8be1dcfab6f8d737b421@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307834&group=rec.food.cooking#307834

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 00:17:59 +0000
 by: GM - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 00:17 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/11/2024 10:01 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

>>> I wonder if the people on the plane had to wear special glasses ;)
>>
>> I notice you're kidding (';'). Nonetheless, I heard straight-faced
>> advice on the local news media warning people NOT to drive
>> while wearing the blackout glasses.
>>
> Driving... not flying as a passenger in a plane. Not something I'd
> thought about until Ed posted this picture:

> https://i.postimg.cc/3JkZ8Xcy/Eclipse.jpg

> Jill

"Lol, Ed!"

- Jill