Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:55:44 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Onion Soup
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:55 UTC

Onion Soup

Ingredients:

1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan
12 to 18 half inch slices French bread (depending on size of loaf),
toasted in preheated 300 degree oven until dry and lightly browned
2 tablespoons melted butter

In a small skillet, beat one tablespoon butter and sauté the whole onion
on all sides until very brown, almost burned. Set aside the onion
serves to give color to the broth.

In a heavy based saucepan, melt the remaining butter and sauté onions
until they are dark gold, stirring often.

Add flour and stir continually for five minutes while the flour browns.
Add broth and the whole onion , simmer covered (to retain onion flavor)
for 20 minutes.

Add salt and pepper.

Combine Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Mound thickly on each piece of
toasted bread. Drip a little melted butter over each toast.

Ladle hot soup into bowls; lay cheese toasts on top of soup; put bowls
on cookie sheet and slide under broiler for three or four minutes or
until cheese is browned.

Serve immediately.

Yield Four to six servings

Re: Onion Soup

<20240413114823.52ec7b62@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307871&group=rec.food.cooking#307871

From: fou...@road.ded (F4099)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Onion Soup
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:48:23 -0600
 by: F4099 - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:48 UTC

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:55:44 -0400
Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> Onion Soup
>

> Ingredients:
>
> 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
> 1 cup grated Parmesan
> 12 to 18 half inch slices French bread (depending on size of loaf),
> toasted in preheated 300 degree oven until dry and lightly browned
> 2 tablespoons melted butter
>
> In a small skillet, beat one tablespoon butter and sauté the whole
> onion on all sides until very brown, almost burned. Set aside the
> onion serves to give color to the broth.
>
> In a heavy based saucepan, melt the remaining butter and sauté onions
> until they are dark gold, stirring often.
>
> Add flour and stir continually for five minutes while the flour
> browns. Add broth and the whole onion , simmer covered (to retain
> onion flavor) for 20 minutes.
>
> Add salt and pepper.
>
> Combine Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Mound thickly on each piece of
> toasted bread. Drip a little melted butter over each toast.
>
> Ladle hot soup into bowls; lay cheese toasts on top of soup; put
> bowls on cookie sheet and slide under broiler for three or four
> minutes or until cheese is browned.
>
> Serve immediately.
>
> Yield Four to six servings

Very nice, allow me to up the ante a bit:

https://youtu.be/S5oYuk-TIxQ
FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS:

Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time:1Hr Mins Oven Temp: 400-450DF

- 5 to 6 Yellow Onions, Julienned
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Fat or Oil
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar