question = ( to ) ? be : ! be; -- Wm. Shakespeare

interests / rec.food.cooking / Malaria Prevention

SubjectAuthor
* Malaria PreventionEd P
+* Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
|+* Re: Malaria PreventionEd Pawlowski
||`* Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
|| +- Re: Malaria PreventionEd Pawlowski
|| +- Re: Malaria PreventionF4099
|| `* Re: Malaria PreventionLeonard Blaisdell
||  +- Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
||  `* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
||   `- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
|`- Re: Malaria PreventionF4099
+* Re: Malaria PreventionCindy Hamilton
|`* Re: Malaria PreventionEd P
| `* Re: Malaria PreventionCindy Hamilton
|  +- Re: Malaria PreventionF4099
|  `* Re: Malaria PreventionLeonard Blaisdell
|   +* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
|   |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
|   +* Re: Malaria PreventionCindy Hamilton
|   |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
|   `- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
`* Re: Malaria Preventionheyjoe
 +* Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
 |+- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 |`* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
 | +* Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 | |`* Re: Malaria PreventionGraham
 | | +* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
 | | |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 | | +* Re: Malaria PreventionGM
 | | |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 | | `- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 | `* Re: Malaria PreventionEd P
 |  +* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
 |  |+* Re: Malaria PreventionEd Pawlowski
 |  ||+* Re: Malaria PreventionBruce
 |  |||`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 |  ||+* Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
 |  |||`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 |  ||`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 |  |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 |  `- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
 `* Re: Malaria PreventionEd P
  +* Re: Malaria PreventionDave Smith
  |+* Re: Malaria PreventionMike Duffy
  ||`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
  |`- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT
  `- Re: Malaria PreventionF650XLT

Pages:12
Malaria Prevention

<661b3484$0$8089$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307943&group=rec.food.cooking#307943

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:42:29 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Malaria Prevention
 by: Ed P - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 01:42 UTC

The weather is getting warmer and that brings insects and disease.
Malaria has been around forever, but there are ways to cure and prevent.

Quinine is used to treat malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum.
Plasmodium falciparum is a parasite that gets into the red blood cells
in the body and causes malaria. Quinine works by killing the parasite or
preventing it from growing.

Quinine is an ingredient and medication derived from the bark of a
cinchona tree native to South America

The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
available in supermarkets. The problem is, the taste is not easy to get
down this centuries old medication, but, there is a solution. To make
it palatable, put it in a glass with ice and add a couple of ounces of
gin.

Of course, I'm not advocating drinking, but this is for health benefits
and preventing serious illness. It works, I drink this mixture a couple
of times a week and have never had malaria.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<W7ISN.656752$c3Ea.180867@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307947&group=rec.food.cooking#307947

Subject: Re: Malaria Prevention
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:33:09 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:33 UTC

On 2024-04-13 9:42 p.m., Ed P wrote:

> Of course, I'm not advocating drinking, but this is for health benefits
> and preventing serious illness.  It works, I drink this mixture a couple
> of times a week and have never had malaria.

Dang... my previous reply went missing. I had written that is is
usually preferable to the prophylaxis for malaria. I had a friend who
used to travel a lot on the tropics and he refused to take the stuff. He
figured it was better to take a chance on malaria than to deal with the
side effects of the treatment.

I learned more about that when my son was working and living in Uganda.
He was taking Larium and the regular dosage was one pill a week. They
made him feel so weird that he cut it back to once every week and a
half. One week he screwed up and took the second dose after 3 or 4 days.
He was experience enough of a psychotic reaction that he almost checked
himself into a psychiatric hospital over there. That severe reaction
went away within a few days but he is still suffering from sleep
problems more than 20 years later and frequently suffers night terrors.

Most armed forces have stopped using that stuff for their trips. Since
my son's experience I wondered if the increasing in PTSD cases among our
troops are a result of that medication.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvfjeh$3es1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307949&group=rec.food.cooking#307949

From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:44:17 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:44 UTC

On 4/13/2024 11:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-04-13 9:42 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>
>> Of course, I'm not advocating drinking, but this is for health
>> benefits and preventing serious illness.  It works, I drink this
>> mixture a couple of times a week and have never had malaria.
>>
>  Dang... my previous reply went missing. I had written that is is
> usually preferable to the prophylaxis for malaria. I had a friend who
> used to travel a lot on the tropics and he refused to take the stuff. He
> figured it was better to take a chance on malaria than to deal with the
> side effects of the treatment.
>
> I learned more about that when my son was working and living in Uganda.
> He was taking Larium and the regular dosage was one pill a week. They
> made him feel so weird that he cut it back to once every week and a
> half. One week he screwed up and took the second dose after 3 or 4 days.
> He was experience enough of a psychotic reaction that he almost checked
> himself into a psychiatric hospital over there. That severe reaction
> went away within a few days but he is still suffering from sleep
> problems more than 20 years later and frequently suffers night terrors.
>
> Most armed forces have stopped using that stuff for their trips. Since
> my son's experience I wondered if the increasing in PTSD cases among our
> troops are a result of that medication.

Only side effect with this method is a hangover if you over indulge.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<2zISN.184951$JLvf.114923@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307952&group=rec.food.cooking#307952

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:02:05 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:02 UTC

On 2024-04-13 11:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/13/2024 11:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2024-04-13 9:42 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, I'm not advocating drinking, but this is for health
>>> benefits and preventing serious illness.  It works, I drink this
>>> mixture a couple of times a week and have never had malaria.
>>>
>>   Dang... my previous reply went missing. I had written that is is
>> usually preferable to the prophylaxis for malaria. I had a friend who
>> used to travel a lot on the tropics and he refused to take the stuff.
>> He figured it was better to take a chance on malaria than to deal with
>> the side effects of the treatment.
>>
>> I learned more about that when my son was working and living in
>> Uganda. He was taking Larium and the regular dosage was one pill a
>> week. They made him feel so weird that he cut it back to once every
>> week and a half. One week he screwed up and took the second dose after
>> 3 or 4 days. He was experience enough of a psychotic reaction that he
>> almost checked himself into a psychiatric hospital over there. That
>> severe reaction went away within a few days but he is still suffering
>> from sleep problems more than 20 years later and frequently suffers
>> night terrors.
>>
>> Most armed forces have stopped using that stuff for their trips. Since
>> my son's experience I wondered if the increasing in PTSD cases among
>> our troops are a result of that medication.
>>

> Only side effect with this method is a hangover if you over indulge.

I could not tolerate gin for a long time. You know how it is when you
are young and stupid and get carried away with a type of booze. When I
was about 16 my friend got a bottle of gin from his sister and a bottle
of Vermouth from his parents. We made a pitcher of martini. I had too much.

I did not drink gin for years. Then one hot summer day I was at a
friend's place that was about 200 yards from Lake Ontario. We went down
to the beach and had gin and tonic with lime and rocks. Holy cow. I was
converted. I like beer and wine and I drink most liquor straight up or
on the rocks. Gin and tonic is the only one I drink with a mixer. It has
added benefit of preventing malaria. It must work. I have never had
malaria.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvfm22$3f7qd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307953&group=rec.food.cooking#307953

From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:28:49 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:28 UTC

On 4/14/2024 12:02 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I could not tolerate gin for a long time. You know how it is when you
> are young and stupid and get carried away with a type of booze. When I
> was about 16 my friend got a bottle of gin from his sister and a bottle
> of Vermouth from his parents. We made a pitcher of martini. I had too much.
>
> I did not drink gin for years. Then one hot summer day I was at a
> friend's place that was about 200 yards from Lake Ontario. We went down
> to the beach and had gin and tonic with lime and rocks. Holy cow. I was
> converted. I like beer and wine and I drink most liquor straight up or
> on the rocks. Gin and tonic is the only one I drink with a mixer. It has
> added benefit of preventing malaria. It must work. I have never had
> malaria.

Good chance it was cheap gin and that would exacerbate the problem.

Hendricks and The Botanist are two of my favorites and always have one
in the house. I often buy a second bottle of another just to try.

There is a gin, High Goal, that is enjoyable straight over ice and a
squeeze of lemon. expensive, but a nice treat.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<661b9c1a$0$3711203$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307956&group=rec.food.cooking#307956

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 14 Apr 2024 09:04:26 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:04 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
> The weather is getting warmer and that brings insects and disease.
> Malaria has been around forever, but there are ways to cure and prevent.
>
> Quinine is used to treat malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum.
> Plasmodium falciparum is a parasite that gets into the red blood cells
> in the body and causes malaria. Quinine works by killing the parasite or
> preventing it from growing.
>
> Quinine is an ingredient and medication derived from the bark of a
> cinchona tree native to South America
>
> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
> available in supermarkets. The problem is, the taste is not easy to get
> down this centuries old medication, but, there is a solution. To make
> it palatable, put it in a glass with ice and add a couple of ounces of
> gin.

I'm ok with the taste of tonic water, so I think I'll mix mine with
vodka rather than gin. Or drink it without either one.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Malaria Prevention

<661bee70$0$3711194$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307975&group=rec.food.cooking#307975

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:55:45 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 14:55 UTC

On 4/14/2024 5:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-04-14, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>> The weather is getting warmer and that brings insects and disease.
>> Malaria has been around forever, but there are ways to cure and prevent.
>>
>> Quinine is used to treat malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum.
>> Plasmodium falciparum is a parasite that gets into the red blood cells
>> in the body and causes malaria. Quinine works by killing the parasite or
>> preventing it from growing.
>>
>> Quinine is an ingredient and medication derived from the bark of a
>> cinchona tree native to South America
>>
>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
>> available in supermarkets. The problem is, the taste is not easy to get
>> down this centuries old medication, but, there is a solution. To make
>> it palatable, put it in a glass with ice and add a couple of ounces of
>> gin.
>
> I'm ok with the taste of tonic water, so I think I'll mix mine with
> vodka rather than gin. Or drink it without either one.

Gin is vodka with botanicals, especially juniper. The taste can vary
considerably depending on the selection. If you did not like it in the
past, try a G&T with one of the premium brands. It may change your mind.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<20240414091940.061e824b@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307982&group=rec.food.cooking#307982

From: fou...@road.ded (F4099)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:19:40 -0600
 by: F4099 - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:19 UTC

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:33:09 -0400
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I had a friend who
> used to travel a lot on the tropics and he refused to take the stuff.
> He figured it was better to take a chance on malaria than to
..............yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....................

Re: Malaria Prevention

<20240414092257.2db9c187@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307985&group=rec.food.cooking#307985

From: fou...@road.ded (F4099)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:22:57 -0600
 by: F4099 - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:22 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:02:05 -0400
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I like beer and wine and I drink most liquor straight up or
> on the rocks.
Typical cuntnadian souse.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<661bfe04$0$8489$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307992&group=rec.food.cooking#307992

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 14 Apr 2024 16:02:12 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:02 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 5:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2024-04-14, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>> The weather is getting warmer and that brings insects and disease.
>>> Malaria has been around forever, but there are ways to cure and prevent.
>>>
>>> Quinine is used to treat malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum.
>>> Plasmodium falciparum is a parasite that gets into the red blood cells
>>> in the body and causes malaria. Quinine works by killing the parasite or
>>> preventing it from growing.
>>>
>>> Quinine is an ingredient and medication derived from the bark of a
>>> cinchona tree native to South America
>>>
>>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
>>> available in supermarkets. The problem is, the taste is not easy to get
>>> down this centuries old medication, but, there is a solution. To make
>>> it palatable, put it in a glass with ice and add a couple of ounces of
>>> gin.
>>
>> I'm ok with the taste of tonic water, so I think I'll mix mine with
>> vodka rather than gin. Or drink it without either one.
>>

> Gin is vodka with botanicals, especially juniper. The taste can vary
> considerably depending on the selection. If you did not like it in the
> past, try a G&T with one of the premium brands. It may change your mind.

I don't hate gin. I don't like it enough to drink it.

OTOH, I don't drink much of anything, anymore. I'm no longer
interested in alcohol.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Malaria Prevention

<20240414101004.5f56df50@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=307994&group=rec.food.cooking#307994

From: fou...@road.ded (F4099)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:10:04 -0600
 by: F4099 - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:10 UTC

On 14 Apr 2024 16:02:12 GMT
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

> I'm no longer
> interested in alcohol.

Meet up for cocktails to talk about that?

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvhje7$3rlte$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308047&group=rec.food.cooking#308047

From: addr...@is.invalid (heyjoe)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:56:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: heyjoe - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:56 UTC

Ed P wrote :

> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
> available in supermarkets.

No experience with tonic water. Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but would
appreciate some guidance.

What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?

--
We all know mirrors don't lie.
I'm grateful they don't laugh.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<xNYSN.657287$c3Ea.427057@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308050&group=rec.food.cooking#308050

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:29:48 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:29 UTC

On 2024-04-14 5:56 p.m., heyjoe wrote:
> Ed P wrote :
>
>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
>> available in supermarkets.
>
> No experience with tonic water. Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but would
> appreciate some guidance.

Canada Dry or Schwepps.

> What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?
Tanquery and Bombay Blue Sapphire are readily available quality gins.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<20240414163705.5994f192@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308051&group=rec.food.cooking#308051

From: fou...@road.did (F650XLT)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:37:05 -0600
 by: F650XLT - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:37 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:29:48 -0400
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Tanquery and Bombay Blue Sapphire are readily available quality gins.

Cuntnadians take their skull-knock real serious they do.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvhmam$3sae6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308052&group=rec.food.cooking#308052

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:45:38 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:45 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:29:48 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-04-14 5:56 p.m., heyjoe wrote:
>> Ed P wrote :
>>
>>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
>>> available in supermarkets.
>>
>> No experience with tonic water. Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but would
>> appreciate some guidance.
>
>Canada Dry or Schwepps.
>
>> What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?
>Tanquery and Bombay Blue Sapphire are readily available quality gins.

Booze is expensive in Australia.
Hendrick's Gin 700 ml: 44.61 US$
Bombay Sapphire Gin 700 ml: 41.43 US$
Tanqueray Gin 700 ml: 33.60 US$

Re: Malaria Prevention

<l8351bFl4amU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308053&group=rec.food.cooking#308053

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 14 Apr 2024 22:52:27 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:52 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I could not tolerate gin for a long time. You know how it is when you
> are young and stupid and get carried away with a type of booze. When I
> was about 16 my friend got a bottle of gin from his sister and a bottle
> of Vermouth from his parents. We made a pitcher of martini. I had too much.

I did that with bourbon. I still can't stand the stuff.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<l835rnFl4amU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308054&group=rec.food.cooking#308054

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 14 Apr 2024 23:06:31 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:06 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

> I don't hate gin. I don't like it enough to drink it.

> OTOH, I don't drink much of anything, anymore. I'm no longer
> interested in alcohol.

So...edibles? Last September, I had a heart flutter and the cardiologist
suggested I stop drinking completely. I believe he hinted toward edibles
which are semi-legal in my State.
I say semi-legal because they're state legal and federally illegal. I
expect the Feds to cave fairly soon, but until then, I'll pass. Mary
Jane makes me paranoid, and I haven't had a hit since the mid-Seventies.
I don't like the idea of inhaling smoke, but edibles...?

Re: Malaria Prevention

<20240414170659.31d102db@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308055&group=rec.food.cooking#308055

From: fou...@road.did (F650XLT)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:06:59 -0600
 by: F650XLT - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:06 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:45:38 +1000
Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:29:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> No experience with tonic water. Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but
> >> would appreciate some guidance.
> >
> >Canada Dry or Schwepps.
> >
> >> What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?
> >Tanquery and Bombay Blue Sapphire are readily available quality
> >gins.
>
> Booze is expensive in Australia.
> Hendrick's Gin 700 ml: 44.61 US$
> Bombay Sapphire Gin 700 ml: 41.43 US$
> Tanqueray Gin 700 ml: 33.60 US$

There's the true cost of socialism for ya!

Re: Malaria Prevention

<EoZSN.866057$p%Mb.135737@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308056&group=rec.food.cooking#308056

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:11:31 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:11 UTC

On 2024-04-14 6:52 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2024-04-14, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I could not tolerate gin for a long time. You know how it is when you
>> are young and stupid and get carried away with a type of booze. When I
>> was about 16 my friend got a bottle of gin from his sister and a bottle
>> of Vermouth from his parents. We made a pitcher of martini. I had too much.
>

> I did that with bourbon. I still can't stand the stuff.

Bourbon is not very popular here. The only time I had it was in the US
where it was used in a Manhattan instead of rye. It was not very good.
However a year or two ago I tried some Maker's Mark and liked it.

I have heard about Jack and Coke. With the exception on gin and tonic, I
don't drink liquor mixed with soft drinks, so I am reluctant to value
the opinion of anyone who is mixed their liquor with pop.

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvhrde$3t947$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308058&group=rec.food.cooking#308058

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:12:27 +1000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:12 UTC

On 14 Apr 2024 22:52:27 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2024-04-14, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I could not tolerate gin for a long time. You know how it is when you
>> are young and stupid and get carried away with a type of booze. When I
>> was about 16 my friend got a bottle of gin from his sister and a bottle
>> of Vermouth from his parents. We made a pitcher of martini. I had too much.
>

>I did that with bourbon. I still can't stand the stuff.

You can't stand bourbon? It's made of corn!

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvhrf3$3t947$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308059&group=rec.food.cooking#308059

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:13:22 +1000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:13 UTC

On 14 Apr 2024 23:06:31 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2024-04-14, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't hate gin. I don't like it enough to drink it.
>
>> OTOH, I don't drink much of anything, anymore. I'm no longer
>> interested in alcohol.
>

>So...edibles? Last September, I had a heart flutter and the cardiologist
>suggested I stop drinking completely. I believe he hinted toward edibles
>which are semi-legal in my State.
>I say semi-legal because they're state legal and federally illegal. I
>expect the Feds to cave fairly soon, but until then, I'll pass. Mary
>Jane makes me paranoid, and I haven't had a hit since the mid-Seventies.
>I don't like the idea of inhaling smoke, but edibles...?

Don't do it. You'll see communists coming for you from every corner!

Re: Malaria Prevention

<661c7788$0$1258332$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308063&group=rec.food.cooking#308063

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:40:41 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:40 UTC

On 2024-04-14 5:06 p.m., F650XLT wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:45:38 +1000
> Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:29:48 -0400, Dave Smith
>> <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Canada Dry or Schwepps.

>>> Tanquery and Bombay Blue Sapphire are readily available quality
>>> gins.
>>
>> Booze is expensive in Australia.
>> Hendrick's Gin 700 ml: 44.61 US$
>> Bombay Sapphire Gin 700 ml: 41.43 US$
>> Tanqueray Gin 700 ml: 33.60 US$
>
> There's the true cost of socialism for ya!

You ignorant prick!

Re: Malaria Prevention

<661c7999$0$3711200$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308064&group=rec.food.cooking#308064

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:49:30 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:49 UTC

On 4/14/2024 5:56 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> Ed P wrote :
>
>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water. It is readily
>> available in supermarkets.
>
> No experience with tonic water. Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but would
> appreciate some guidance.
>
> What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?

My preference is Canada Dry but buy Schweppes. For a typical G&T my
flavor preference is outweighed by practicality. In this area, CD comes
in plastic bottles while Schweppes it glass. If an opened bottle is
going to sit a day or two, the glass seems to last longer when you only
use a half bottle. .

Re: Malaria Prevention

<uvhtng$3tkup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308065&group=rec.food.cooking#308065

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:51:59 +1000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:51 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:40:41 -0600, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-04-14 5:06 p.m., F650XLT wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:45:38 +1000
>> Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Booze is expensive in Australia.
>>> Hendrick's Gin 700 ml: 44.61 US$
>>> Bombay Sapphire Gin 700 ml: 41.43 US$
>>> Tanqueray Gin 700 ml: 33.60 US$
>>
>> There's the true cost of socialism for ya!
>>
>You ignorant prick!

lol, indeed

Re: Malaria Prevention

<oc%SN.798812$xHn7.216071@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=308066&group=rec.food.cooking#308066

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:14:59 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:14 UTC

On 2024-04-14 8:49 p.m., Ed P wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 5:56 PM, heyjoe wrote:
>> Ed P wrote :
>>
>>> The best way to ingest it is to mix it in tonic water.  It is readily
>>> available in supermarkets.
>>
>> No experience with tonic water.  Am leaning toward Canada Dry, but would
>> appreciate some guidance.
>>
>> What brand do you buy at your local grocery or liquor store?
>>

> My preference is Canada Dry but buy Schweppes.  For a typical G&T my
> flavor preference is outweighed by practicality.  In this area, CD comes
> in plastic bottles while Schweppes it glass. If an opened bottle is
> going to sit a day or two, the glass seems to last longer when you only
> use a half bottle. .

Tonic water in glass? I have not seen that here in decades. I get it by
the can. Half a can per drink.... and if I have one drink there is half
a can left, enough for a second drink. Coincidence? I think not.