I used to be disgusted, now I find I'm just amused. -- Elvis Costello

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8 answers: glafs, lyrics

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsErland Sommarskog
+* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsJoshua Kreitzer
|`- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyricsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8 answers: glafs, lyricsMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<AIydnUAQ9JizKU_9nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3078&group=rec.games.trivia#3078

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 23:10:22 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 04:10 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - The Glafs Round

This is a flags round with a difference: instead of identifying
the flags, what you have to do is correct them. Unless we tell
you otherwise, each flag on the handout has one major error, and
that's what you have to find.

You must specifically state which element on the flag is wrong (if
it's a repeated element, each instance will be wrong the same way)
and identify what is wrong with it.

I previously wrote:
| We should warn you that some of the images may be slightly off-shape
| or off-color. We are *never* looking for an answer such as "the
| rectangle's shape should be 1.9:1 instead of 2:1" or "Dundas station
| is greenish yellow, not yellowish green." If the error you're
| looking for is of those kinds, it will be more obvious than that.
| | But these images were obtained from unofficial sources in the first
| place, then (after editing) printed on a color printer in 1998,
| then scanned back in from the printout...

In 2021 the images are still unofficial ones, but this time around
I've recreated the errors based on images from the *same* unofficial
source, FOTW, which is pretty reliable as to colors and shapes, and
there's been no printing or scanning. So I don't think issues like
the above will arise.

In every case you can assume that the top of the flag is to the top
of the page, and the flagpole is on the left except as noted below.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif

This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
with question #1.

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif

That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
similar to each other, but there are several differences between
them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
of either country -- but *you must say which country*.

3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif

This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
(for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
What isn't?

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif

How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif

How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif

This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
Name *both* errors.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif

How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/H.gif

How does this image differ from a correct flag of India?

9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif

The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif

Finally, how does this image differ from a correct US flag?

There were 6 decoys, three of them correct and three not, two of
them not belonging to countries. Identify them (and their errors)
if you like for fun, but for no points.

11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/K.gif
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/L.gif
13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/M.gif
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/N.gif
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/O.gif
16. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/P.gif

* Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Song Lyrics

In each case, identify the title of the song.

1. There's a girl in New York City
Who calls herself the human trampoline
And sometimes when I'm falling, flying
Or tumbling in turmoil I say
Oh, so this is what she means

2. Hey where did we go
Days when the rains came
Down in the hollow
Playing a new game

3. I fell through this crack and I kinda lost my head
I stand transfixed before this street light
Watching the snow fall on this cold December night
And out in the middle of Lake Ontario
The same snow is falling on the deep silent water

4. Life springs eternal
On a gaudy neon street
Not that I care at all
I spent the best part of my losing streak
In an army jeep
For what I can't recall

5. It took me a year to believe it was over
And took me two more to get over the loss
I took a beating when you wrote me those letters
And every time I remembered the taste of your lipgloss

6. Through all these cities and all these towns
It's in my blood and it's all around
I love you now like I loved you then
This is the road and these are the hands

7. I will paint my picture
Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful

8. If I have been unkind
I hope that you can just let it go by
And if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you

9. I feel drunk but I'm sober
I'm young and I'm underpaid
I'm tired but I'm working, yeah

10. I get up in the evening
And I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning
I go to bed feeling the same way

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;
msb@vex.net | you ARE the traffic jam." -- Werner Icking

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<savig8$qvb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3079&group=rec.games.trivia#3079

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:03:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:03 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif

> This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
> called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

Two of the diagonal red lines are offset

> 2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
> with question #1.

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif

> That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
> left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
> similar to each other, but there are several differences between
> them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
> Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
> make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
> of either country -- but *you must say which country*.

remove the white stars to get New Zealand's flag

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif

> This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
> the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
> Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
> (for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
> What isn't?

the sword blade should be curved

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

the Star of David lines should be shown to cross over each other

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

the green area should not be present

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif

> This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
> Name *both* errors.

the side lobes of the leaf should be further down and the red bands
should be wider

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

the blue cross inside the yellow one should not be there

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif

> The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
> least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
> was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

the red stripes should be blue

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif

> Finally, how does this image differ from a correct US flag?

the stars should have a point upright

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Song Lyrics

> 1. There's a girl in New York City
> Who calls herself the human trampoline
> And sometimes when I'm falling, flying
> Or tumbling in turmoil I say
> Oh, so this is what she means

Graceland

> 2. Hey where did we go
> Days when the rains came
> Down in the hollow
> Playing a new game

Brown-Eyed Girl

> 10. I get up in the evening
> And I ain't got nothing to say
> I come home in the morning
> I go to bed feeling the same way

Dancing in the Dark

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<XnsAD52DFD42933AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3080&group=rec.games.trivia#3080

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:00:11 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 20:00 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - The Glafs Round

Arvika. That the answer. The is name of lake where Arvika is
situated is Glafsfjorden.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
> called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

The diagonal stripes are definitely wrong. They should be about
double the width.
> 2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
> with question #1.
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif
>
> That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
> left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
> similar to each other, but there are several differences between
> them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
> Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
> make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
> of either country -- but *you must say which country*.

Get rid of the big star to the left and make all stars in the
Southern Cross to be the same size to get the flag of New Zealan.
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
> the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
> Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
> (for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
> What isn't?

Sword and writing should be in black.
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

Double stripes instead of single.
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

It's rectangular. Which the flag is not.
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif
>
> This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
> Name *both* errors.

Wrong width of the red fields. Very "modern" design of the maple leaf.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

This one has an extra blue strip in the middle should should be
there.
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/H.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of India?

Strips are vertical, should be horizontal.
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif
>
> The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
> least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
> was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

No red stripes - they are blue.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif

White and red strips are inverted.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/K.gif

Cuba - same error as US flag.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/L.gif

Zimbabwe?

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/M.gif

Bosnia-Hercogovina's flag upside down.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/N.gif

Whichever flag it is, I don't think the dollar sign belongs there. :-)

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/O.gif

Looks like Greenland. But I think the circle is centred on that one.

> 16. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/P.gif

EU flag with colours inverted.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<XnsAD52BB79AB6F6gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3081&group=rec.games.trivia#3081

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:25:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:25 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AIydnUAQ9JizKU_9nZ2dnUU7-
cPNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - The Glafs Round
>
> This is a flags round with a difference: instead of identifying
> the flags, what you have to do is correct them. Unless we tell
> you otherwise, each flag on the handout has one major error, and
> that's what you have to find.
>
> You must specifically state which element on the flag is wrong (if
> it's a repeated element, each instance will be wrong the same way)
> and identify what is wrong with it.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
> called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

diagonal red stripes should not touch the large red cross

> 2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
> with question #1.
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif
>
> That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
> left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
> similar to each other, but there are several differences between
> them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
> Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
> make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
> of either country -- but *you must say which country*.

on the Australian flag, all the stars should be white
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
> the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
> Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
> (for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
> What isn't?

the sword should be below the writing

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

there should be only 2 blue stripes, one above and one below the star
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

the flag should be 5-sided, not rectangular, meaning that the green part
should be removed altogether

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif
>
> This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
> Name *both* errors.

the leaf is shaped wrong and the outer white stripes are missing
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

it should have a yellow background and blue cross

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/H.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of India?

the yellow and green stripes should be switched
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif
>
> The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
> least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
> was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

stripes should be blue and white instead of red and white

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif
>
> Finally, how does this image differ from a correct US flag?

the stars are angled rather than pointing straight up
> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Song Lyrics
>
> In each case, identify the title of the song.
>
> 2. Hey where did we go
> Days when the rains came
> Down in the hollow
> Playing a new game

"Brown Eyed Girl"

> 6. Through all these cities and all these towns
> It's in my blood and it's all around
> I love you now like I loved you then
> This is the road and these are the hands

"Life Is a Highway"
> 7. I will paint my picture
> Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
> All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful

"Mr. Jones"

> 9. I feel drunk but I'm sober
> I'm young and I'm underpaid
> I'm tired but I'm working, yeah

"Hand in My Pocket"
> 10. I get up in the evening
> And I ain't got nothing to say
> I come home in the morning
> I go to bed feeling the same way

"Dancing in the Dark"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<XnsAD53D58A18C4FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3082&group=rec.games.trivia#3082

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:59:30 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:59 UTC

Joshua Kreitzer (gromit82@hotmail.com) writes:
> msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AIydnUAQ9JizKU_9nZ2dnUU7-
> cPNnZ2d@giganews.com:
>
>> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif
>>
>> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?
>
> it should have a yellow background and blue cross

I've actually seen films where the flag have seemed to be like that!
Yes, "seemed". These were old films in black-and-white, and due to some
artetact, the blue colour appears as lighter than the yellow cross.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8: glafs, lyrics

<sb3q0t$1clg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=rec.games.trivia#3083

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 00:36:30 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 05:36 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - The Glafs Round
>
> This is a flags round with a difference: instead of identifying
> the flags, what you have to do is correct them. Unless we tell
> you otherwise, each flag on the handout has one major error, and
> that's what you have to find.
>
> You must specifically state which element on the flag is wrong (if
> it's a repeated element, each instance will be wrong the same way)
> and identify what is wrong with it.
>
> I previously wrote:
> | We should warn you that some of the images may be slightly off-shape
> | or off-color. We are *never* looking for an answer such as "the
> | rectangle's shape should be 1.9:1 instead of 2:1" or "Dundas station
> | is greenish yellow, not yellowish green." If the error you're
> | looking for is of those kinds, it will be more obvious than that.
> |
> | But these images were obtained from unofficial sources in the first
> | place, then (after editing) printed on a color printer in 1998,
> | then scanned back in from the printout...
>
> In 2021 the images are still unofficial ones, but this time around
> I've recreated the errors based on images from the *same* unofficial
> source, FOTW, which is pretty reliable as to colors and shapes, and
> there's been no printing or scanning. So I don't think issues like
> the above will arise.
>

> In every case you can assume that the top of the flag is to the top
> of the page, and the flagpole is on the left except as noted below.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
> called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

White and blue are reversed

> 2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
> with question #1.
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif
>
> That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
> left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
> similar to each other, but there are several differences between
> them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
> Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
> make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
> of either country -- but *you must say which country*.
>
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif
>
> This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
> the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
> Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
> (for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
> What isn't?

Sword points in wrong direction

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

White and blue are reversed

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

Real flag does not have green portion

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif
>
> This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
> Name *both* errors.

Red and white reversed, real flag has no stem on leaf

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

Real flag has no blue stripes inside yellow stripes

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/H.gif
>
> How does this image differ from a correct flag of India?

Yellow should be red

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif
>
> The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
> least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
> was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

Red should be blue

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif
>
> Finally, how does this image differ from a correct US flag?

Red and white stripes are reversed

> There were 6 decoys, three of them correct and three not, two of
> them not belonging to countries. Identify them (and their errors)
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/K.gif
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/L.gif
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/M.gif
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/N.gif
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/O.gif
> 16. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/P.gif
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Song Lyrics
>
> In each case, identify the title of the song.
>
> 1. There's a girl in New York City
> Who calls herself the human trampoline
> And sometimes when I'm falling, flying
> Or tumbling in turmoil I say
> Oh, so this is what she means
>
> 2. Hey where did we go
> Days when the rains came
> Down in the hollow
> Playing a new game

Brown Eyed Girl

> 3. I fell through this crack and I kinda lost my head
> I stand transfixed before this street light
> Watching the snow fall on this cold December night
> And out in the middle of Lake Ontario
> The same snow is falling on the deep silent water
>
> 4. Life springs eternal
> On a gaudy neon street
> Not that I care at all
> I spent the best part of my losing streak
> In an army jeep
> For what I can't recall
>
> 5. It took me a year to believe it was over
> And took me two more to get over the loss
> I took a beating when you wrote me those letters
> And every time I remembered the taste of your lipgloss
>
> 6. Through all these cities and all these towns
> It's in my blood and it's all around
> I love you now like I loved you then
> This is the road and these are the hands
>
> 7. I will paint my picture
> Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
> All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful
>
> 8. If I have been unkind
> I hope that you can just let it go by
> And if I have been untrue
> I hope you know it was never to you
>
> 9. I feel drunk but I'm sober
> I'm young and I'm underpaid
> I'm tired but I'm working, yeah
>
> 10. I get up in the evening
> And I ain't got nothing to say
> I come home in the morning
> I go to bed feeling the same way

Pete Gayde

RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8 answers: glafs, lyrics

<-O2dnR2GG4JzNkv9nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3084&group=rec.games.trivia#3084

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 7-8 answers: glafs, lyrics
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 23:24:14 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 04:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The geography round.

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - The Glafs Round

> This is a flags round with a difference: instead of identifying
> the flags, what you have to do is correct them. Unless we tell
> you otherwise, each flag on the handout has one major error, and
> that's what you have to find.

> You must specifically state which element on the flag is wrong (if
> it's a repeated element, each instance will be wrong the same way)
> and identify what is wrong with it.

> I previously wrote:
> | We should warn you that some of the images may be slightly off-shape
> | or off-color. We are *never* looking for an answer such as "the
> | rectangle's shape should be 1.9:1 instead of 2:1" or "Dundas station
> | is greenish yellow, not yellowish green." If the error you're
> | looking for is of those kinds, it will be more obvious than that.
> |
> | But these images were obtained from unofficial sources in the first
> | place, then (after editing) printed on a color printer in 1998,
> | then scanned back in from the printout...

> In 2021 the images are still unofficial ones, but this time around
> I've recreated the errors based on images from the *same* unofficial
> source, FOTW, which is pretty reliable as to colors and shapes, and
> there's been no printing or scanning. So I don't think issues like
> the above will arise.

> In every case you can assume that the top of the flag is to the top
> of the page, and the flagpole is on the left except as noted below.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/A.gif

> This image is an incorrect version of the British flag, also
> called the Union Jack or Union Flag. What is wrong with it?

The four red diagonals (modified cross of St. Patrick) should not
touch the other red stripes (cross of St. George). 4 for Joshua.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/g/gb.gif

> 2. Please do not open this image until after you have finished
> with question #1.

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/B.gif

> That's because it includes a correct British flag in the top
> left corner. Now, the flags of Australia and New Zealand are
> similar to each other, but there are several differences between
> them. We constructed this image by combining elements of both.
> Clearly identify *any one* of the changes you would have to
> make if you wanted to "correct" this image into a correct flag
> of either country -- but *you must say which country*.

To make a New Zealand flag: [1] delete the large (white) star;
[2] delete the small (white) star. To make an Australian flag:
[1] make the medium-size stars plain white with no red centers; [2]
change the medium-size stars from 5 to 7 points: any reference to
the number of points on these stars was okay. 4 for Dan and Joshua.

See:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/n/nz.gif
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/a/au.gif

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/C.gif

> This image is an incorrect Saudi Arabian flag -- shown with
> the flagpole on the right, as is standard in that country.
> Don't worry about the Arabic writing; that part is correct
> (for its translation see Round 4 of this game, answer 1).
> What isn't?

The writing should be above the sword, not below. 4 for Joshua.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/s/sa.gif

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/D.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Israel?

Above and below the star should be a single thick horizontal blue
bar rather than the double bars. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/il.gif

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/E.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Nepal?

The whole green area should be deleted. (The flag is not
rectangular.) 4 for Dan, Joshua, and Pete. 3 for Erland.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/n/np.gif
on which the gray area is not part of the flag.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/F.gif

> This image differs from a correct Canadian flag in two ways.
> Name *both* errors.

[1] Two points are missing from the bottom of the maple leaf.
Any reference to the bottom of the leaf or the number of points was
sufficient. And [2] the white stripe is too wide (should be square)
and the red ones too narrow (should each have 1/2 the width of the
white square). Any reference implying an insufficient amount of
red in relation to the white was acceptable. 4 for Dan.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/c/ca.gif

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/G.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of Sweden?

The blue cross within the yellow should be deleted. 4 for Dan,
Erland, and Pete.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/s/se.gif

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/H.gif

> How does this image differ from a correct flag of India?

The stripes should be horizontal. We borrowed the vertically striped
layout from Ireland's flag, which has no emblem in the center.
4 for Erland.

See:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/in.gif
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/ie.gif

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/I.gif

> The flag of Greece was changed """some years ago""" so that at
> least one color is darker than you may remember it. Nothing else
> was changed. How does this image differ from the Greek flag?

The red stripes should be blue. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Erland,
Joshua, and Pete.

When I looked it up to see when exactly they changed from lighter
to darker blue, I found that there never was an official change, as
the flag law never had specified the exact color in the first place.
They just started using the darker blue, after about 1970.

Anyway, see: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/g/gr.gif

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/J.gif

> Finally, how does this image differ from a correct US flag?

Each star has been rotated in place. ("Upside-down" would be close
enough.) They should each have one point on top, like the star on
the flag of Liberia (http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/K.gif).
4 for Dan and Joshua.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us.gif

> There were 6 decoys, three of them correct and three not, two of
> them not belonging to countries. Identify them (and their errors)
> if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/K.gif

Correct flag of Liberia.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/L.gif

Flag of Seychelles with the sequence of colors reversed.

See: http://www.fotw.info/images/s/sc.gif

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/M.gif

Correct flag of Bosnia & Herzegovina (new flag adopted 1998).

Erland got the country but thought there was an error.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/N.gif

Old flag of Rwanda (until 2001) with the letter R changed to a
different character.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/r/rw-1962.gif

For their current flag see:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/r/rw.gif

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/O.gif

Correct flag of Greenland.

Erland got the place but thought there was an error.

> 16. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/7/P.gif

European Union flag with the colors reversed. Erland got this.

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/e/eu-eun.gif

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Song Lyrics

> In each case, identify the title of the song.

> 1. There's a girl in New York City
> Who calls herself the human trampoline
> And sometimes when I'm falling, flying
> Or tumbling in turmoil I say
> Oh, so this is what she means

"Graceland" (Paul Simon). 4 for Dan.

> 2. Hey where did we go
> Days when the rains came
> Down in the hollow
> Playing a new game

"Brown-Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison). 4 for Dan, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. I fell through this crack and I kinda lost my head
> I stand transfixed before this street light
> Watching the snow fall on this cold December night
> And out in the middle of Lake Ontario
> The same snow is falling on the deep silent water

"Hasn't Hit Me Yet" (Blue Rodeo).

> 4. Life springs eternal
> On a gaudy neon street
> Not that I care at all
> I spent the best part of my losing streak
> In an army jeep
> For what I can't recall

"Leaving Las Vegas" (Sheryl Crow).

Click here to read the complete article