If you think last Tuesday was a drag, wait till you see what happens tomorrow!

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10 answers: comic strips, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundswp
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge roundbbowler
`- RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10 answers: comic strips, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<3eCdnaNG5IhPMUv9nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3085&group=rec.games.trivia#3085

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 23:28:02 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 04:28 UTC

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics

We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
"""today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.

Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted
in the specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names,
two different surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as
a name.) If the strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
your answer must contain some part not in the title.

For example, if we had a "Peanuts" panel featuring Lucy and Linus
Van Pelt, you could answer "Schulz" (or "Charles Schulz"), or
"Lucy and Linus", or "Lucy Van Pelt", or "Linus Van Pelt", but not
"Peanuts".

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg
4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/D.jpg
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/E.jpg
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg
7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/H.jpg
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg
10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

After you are finished with all the questions, please decode the
rot13: Vs lbh pbeerpgyl nafjrerq jvgu whfg "Uv" naq "Ybvf" sbe bar
dhrfgvba, lbh unir rssrpgviryl whfg tvira gur gvgyr bs gur fgevc.
Cyrnfr tb onpx naq rkcnaq bar bs gur anzrf.

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

(Again, all of the category titles were names of teams in the
Canadian Inquisition. This time we could only find good questions
to fit four of the then-active teams without repeating from
the earlier round where we used this theme, so we threw in one
defunct team. Of the five, only Five Guys Named Moe were still
active up to the pandemic shutdown in 2020.)

* A. All Over Twisted

A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
for this?

A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

* B. Team Formerly Known As

B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
two previous names. Give *either one*.

B2. The Detroit NHL franchise now called the Red Wings had two
previous names. Give *either one*.

* C. 8:30 in Newfoundland

C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's, Newfoundland,
what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

* D. Five Guys Named Moe

D1. The Three Stooges only had one guy named Moe, but they had
more than two other guys, as one replaced another over time.
How many stooges, altogether, performed as official members
of the group under that name?

D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this
Oscar, had the same title as one of the films that won an
Oscar """last week""". What title?

* E. Press Gang

*Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer
or the current/recent answer, and you don't need to
say which year you're answering for, but when giving
a single two-part answer, both parts must be for the
same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.

E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
"Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
can name *any other two* of the top five.

E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent
data -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer --
and now four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top
7 places.) Name any *two of the four* largest-circulation
Canadian papers *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.

After you have finished with the round, please decode this rot13:
Vs lbh nafjrerq dhrfgvba P2 jvgu nal bs "gjryir b'pybpx" (va jbeqf
be ahzrenyf), "gjryir NZ", be "gjryir CZ", gura cyrnfr tb onpx
naq pbeerpg vg gb ernq "abba" be "zvqavtug".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is one thing to praise discipline, and another
msb@vex.net | to submit to it." -- Miguel de Cervantes, 1613

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<sb6e47$l7i$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3086&group=rec.games.trivia#3086

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 05:31:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 05:31 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

Berke Breathed

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg

Hi and Lois Flagston

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg

Dagwood Bumstead and Daisy

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg

Lynn Johnston

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

Garry Trudeau

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

Bill Amend

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. All Over Twisted

> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
> surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
> for this?

Moebius strip

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
> this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
> but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
> the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
> pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
> a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

Klein bottle

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland

> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's, Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

4:30 AM

> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

11:30 AM; 12:30 AM

6

> * E. Press Gang

> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
> US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
> and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
> "Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
> can name *any other two* of the top five.

New York Times and USA Today

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<sb6lo2$975$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3087&group=rec.games.trivia#3087

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 00:41:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:41 UTC

On 6/25/21 9:28 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics
>
> We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
> you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
> writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
> """today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.
>
> Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted
> in the specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names,
> two different surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as
> a name.) If the strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
> your answer must contain some part not in the title.
>
> For example, if we had a "Peanuts" panel featuring Lucy and Linus
> Van Pelt, you could answer "Schulz" (or "Charles Schulz"), or
> "Lucy and Linus", or "Lucy Van Pelt", or "Linus Van Pelt", but not
> "Peanuts".
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

Breathed

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg

Dagwood, Daisy

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/D.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/E.jpg

Clayton, Katy

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/H.jpg
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

Trudeau

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

Peter, Jason

> After you are finished with all the questions, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh pbeerpgyl nafjrerq jvgu whfg "Uv" naq "Ybvf" sbe bar
> dhrfgvba, lbh unir rssrpgviryl whfg tvira gur gvgyr bs gur fgevc.
> Cyrnfr tb onpx naq rkcnaq bar bs gur anzrf.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> (Again, all of the category titles were names of teams in the
> Canadian Inquisition. This time we could only find good questions
> to fit four of the then-active teams without repeating from
> the earlier round where we used this theme, so we threw in one
> defunct team. Of the five, only Five Guys Named Moe were still
> active up to the pandemic shutdown in 2020.)
>
> * A. All Over Twisted
>
> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
> surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
> for this?

Moebius strip

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
> this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
> but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
> the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
> pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
> a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

Klein bottle

> * B. Team Formerly Known As
>
> B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
> two previous names. Give *either one*.
>
> B2. The Detroit NHL franchise now called the Red Wings had two
> previous names. Give *either one*.
>

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland
>
> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's, Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

4 a.m.

> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

12 noon

2

> D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
> short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this
> Oscar, had the same title as one of the films that won an
> Oscar """last week""". What title?
>

> * E. Press Gang
>
> *Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer
> or the current/recent answer, and you don't need to
> say which year you're answering for, but when giving
> a single two-part answer, both parts must be for the
> same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
> a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.
>
> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
> US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
> and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
> "Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
> can name *any other two* of the top five.

New York Times, Washington Post

> E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
> in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent
> data -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer --
> and now four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top
> 7 places.) Name any *two of the four* largest-circulation
> Canadian papers *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.
>
> After you have finished with the round, please decode this rot13:
> Vs lbh nafjrerq dhrfgvba P2 jvgu nal bs "gjryir b'pybpx" (va jbeqf
> be ahzrenyf), "gjryir NZ", be "gjryir CZ", gura cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq pbeerpg vg gb ernq "abba" be "zvqavtug".

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<XnsAD5563F3052C9gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3088&group=rec.games.trivia#3088

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 14:49:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 14:49 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in
> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics
>
> We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
> you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
> writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
> """today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.
>
> Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted
> in the specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names,
> two different surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as
> a name.) If the strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
> your answer must contain some part not in the title.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

Berke Breathed; Milo Bloom

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg

Browne

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg

Dean Young; Dagwood Bumstead

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg

Bill Griffith

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg

Lynn Johnston; April Patterson

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

Garry Trudeau; Joan Caucus

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

Paige and Jason

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. All Over Twisted
>
> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
> surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
> for this?

Mobius strip

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
> this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
> but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
> the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
> pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
> a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

Klein bottle
> * B. Team Formerly Known As
>
> B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
> two previous names. Give *either one*.

Argonauts

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland
>
> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

3:00 AM
> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

noon

6
> D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
> short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this
> Oscar, had the same title as one of the films that won an
> Oscar """last week""". What title?

"Men in Black"
> * E. Press Gang
>
> *Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer
> or the current/recent answer, and you don't need to
> say which year you're answering for, but when giving
> a single two-part answer, both parts must be for the
> same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
> a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.
>
> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
> US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
> and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
> "Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
> can name *any other two* of the top five.

USA Today and The New York Times
> E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
> in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent
> data -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer --
> and now four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top
> 7 places.) Name any *two of the four* largest-circulation
> Canadian papers *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.

Vancouver Sun and La Presse;
Vancouver Sun and Montreal Gazette

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<abe17f4f-885d-40ac-a975-392679f5e52cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3089&group=rec.games.trivia#3089

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 12:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:54 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:28:08 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
> > should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> > members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> > been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> > about 3 days.
> >
> > For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> > that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> > "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics
>
> We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
> you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
> writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
> """today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.
>
> Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted
> in the specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names,
> two different surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as
> a name.) If the strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
> your answer must contain some part not in the title.
>
> For example, if we had a "Peanuts" panel featuring Lucy and Linus
> Van Pelt, you could answer "Schulz" (or "Charles Schulz"), or
> "Lucy and Linus", or "Lucy Van Pelt", or "Linus Van Pelt", but not
> "Peanuts".
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

berkeley breathed

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg

mort walker

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg

dagwood bumstead, mailman mr. beasley

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/D.jpg

bo grace

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/E.jpg

adam newman, laura newman

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg

claude funston

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg

lynn johnston

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/H.jpg

joe duffy

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

garry trudeau

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

bill amend

> After you are finished with all the questions, please decode the
> rot13: If you correctly answered with just "Hi" and "Lois" for one
> question, you have effectively just given the title of the strip.
> Please go back and expand one of the names.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> (Again, all of the category titles were names of teams in the
> Canadian Inquisition. This time we could only find good questions
> to fit four of the then-active teams without repeating from
> the earlier round where we used this theme, so we threw in one
> defunct team. Of the five, only Five Guys Named Moe were still
> active up to the pandemic shutdown in 2020.)
>
> * A. All Over Twisted
>
> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
> surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
> for this?

möbius strip

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
> this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
> but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
> the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
> pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
> a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

klein bottle

> * B. Team Formerly Known As
>
> B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
> two previous names. Give *either one*.

arenas

> B2. The Detroit NHL franchise now called the Red Wings had two
> previous names. Give *either one*.

falcons

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland
>
> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's, Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

4am

> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

12pm noon

6

> D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
> short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this
> Oscar, had the same title as one of the films that won an
> Oscar """last week""". What title?

men in black

> * E. Press Gang
>
> *Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer
> or the current/recent answer, and you don't need to
> say which year you're answering for, but when giving
> a single two-part answer, both parts must be for the
> same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
> a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.

noted

> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
> US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
> and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
> "Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
> can name *any other two* of the top five.

usa today, new york times

> E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
> in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent
> data -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer --
> and now four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top
> 7 places.) Name any *two of the four* largest-circulation
> Canadian papers *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.

national post, the globe and mail

> After you have finished with the round, please decode this rot13:
> If you answered question C2 with any of "twelve o'clock" (in words
> or numerals), "twelve AM", or "twelve PM", then please go back
> and correct it to read "noon" or "midnight".

<grumbling noises/>

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is one thing to praise discipline, and another
> m...@vex.net | to submit to it." -- Miguel de Cervantes, 1613
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: comic strips, challenge round

<ijuksnF1hmpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3090&group=rec.games.trivia#3090

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (bbowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: 28 Jun 2021 19:05:59 GMT
 by: bbowler - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 19:05 UTC

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 23:28:02 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30, and
>> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
>> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
>> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
>> about 3 days.
>>
>> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
>> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
>> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics
>
> We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
> you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
> writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
> """today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.
>
> Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted in the
> specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names, two different
> surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as a name.) If the
> strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
> your answer must contain some part not in the title.
>
> For example, if we had a "Peanuts" panel featuring Lucy and Linus Van
> Pelt, you could answer "Schulz" (or "Charles Schulz"), or "Lucy and
> Linus", or "Lucy Van Pelt", or "Linus Van Pelt", but not "Peanuts".
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

Breathed

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg

Walker

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/D.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/E.jpg
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/H.jpg
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

Trudeau

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg
>
> After you are finished with all the questions, please decode the rot13:
> Vs lbh pbeerpgyl nafjrerq jvgu whfg "Uv" naq "Ybvf" sbe bar dhrfgvba,
> lbh unir rssrpgviryl whfg tvira gur gvgyr bs gur fgevc. Cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq rkcnaq bar bs gur anzrf.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> (Again, all of the category titles were names of teams in the Canadian
> Inquisition. This time we could only find good questions to fit four of
> the then-active teams without repeating from the earlier round where we
> used this theme, so we threw in one defunct team. Of the five, only
> Five Guys Named Moe were still active up to the pandemic shutdown in
> 2020.)
>
> * A. All Over Twisted
>
> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single surface
> and a single edge. What is the mathematical term for this?

a mobius strip

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct this figure
> would require access to 4-dimensional space, but a form
> resembling it can be made in glass by extending the neck of a
> bottle, passing it through a hole (which we pretend does not
> exist) in the side, and joining it onto a hole in the base. What
> is this theoretical figure called?

a klein bottle

> * B. Team Formerly Known As
>
> B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
> two previous names. Give *either one*.
>
> B2. The Detroit NHL franchise now called the Red Wings had two
> previous names. Give *either one*.
>

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland
>
> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

5:00AM, 4:00AM

> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

Noon

> * D. Five Guys Named Moe
>
> D1. The Three Stooges only had one guy named Moe, but they had
> more than two other guys, as one replaced another over time.
> How many stooges, altogether, performed as official members of
> the group under that name?

5;6

> D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
> short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this Oscar,
> had the same title as one of the films that won an Oscar """last
> week""". What title?
>

> * E. Press Gang
>
> *Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer or the
> current/recent answer, and you don't need to say which year you're
> answering for, but when giving a single two-part answer, both parts
> must be for the same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
> a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.
>
> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading US
> newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal", and you
> could name *any two* of the next four. Today the "Wall Street
> Journal" has dropped to second place, and you can name *any other
> two* of the top five.

New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle

> E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
> in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent data
> -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer -- and now
> four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top 7 places.) Name
> any *two of the four* largest-circulation Canadian papers
> *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.
>
> After you have finished with the round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq dhrfgvba P2 jvgu nal bs "gjryir b'pybpx" (va jbeqf be
> ahzrenyf), "gjryir NZ", be "gjryir CZ", gura cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbeerpg
> vg gb ernq "abba" be "zvqavtug".

RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10 answers: comic strips, challenge round

<gKidnTx2nI6DM0f9nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3091&group=rec.games.trivia#3091

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 9 Rounds 9-10 answers: comic strips, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 00:22:38 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 05:22 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 9 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won. Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the challenge round.

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Newspaper Comics

> We don't need the titles of the comic strips shown. Instead,
> you can win your very valuable points by naming the *artist and/or
> writer* responsible for the strip (originally or, if applicable,
> """today""") -- if there is more than one person, any one will do.

> Or alternatively, you can give *two* names of characters depicted
> in the specific comic shown -- and those can be two given names,
> two different surnames, or one of each. ("Mr." does not count as
> a name.) If the strip's title uses its characters' names, though,
> your answer must contain some part not in the title.

> For example, if we had a "Peanuts" panel featuring Lucy and Linus
> Van Pelt, you could answer "Schulz" (or "Charles Schulz"), or
> "Lucy and Linus", or "Lucy Van Pelt", or "Linus Van Pelt", but not
> "Peanuts".

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/A.jpg

["Bloom County" by] Berkeley ("Berke") Breathed -- Milo Bloom,
Michael Binkley, Steve Dallas, Bill (the cat). 4 for Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Joshua (the hard way), Stephen, and Bruce.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/B.jpg

["Hi and Lois" by] Mort, Greg, and Brian Walker and Dik and Robert
("Chance") Browne -- Hiram ("Hi") and Lois Flagstone. 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/C.jpg

["Blondie" by] Murat B. ("Chic") and Dean Young, Dennis Lebrun,
John Marshall, and others -- protest if you think you've named one
not mentioned here -- Dagwood Bumstead, Mr. Beasley (the mailman),
Daisy (the dog). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua (the hard way),
and Stephen.

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/D.jpg

["Ernie", now "Piranha Club", by] Bud "Bo" Grace -- Ernie and Sid
Fernwilter, Doris Husselmeyer. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/E.jpg

["Adam", now "Adam@Home", by] Brian Basset and Rob Harrell -- Adam,
Laura, Katy, and Clayton Newman. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen
(the hard way).

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/F.jpg

["Zippy" by] Bill Griffith -- Zippy the Pinhead, Claude Funston,
Shelf Life, Mr. Toad, Zerbina, Griffy. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/G.jpg

["For Better or For Worse" by] Lynn Johnston -- John, Elizabeth
(Liz), and April Patterson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua (the hard way),
and Stephen.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/H.jpg

["The Fusco Brothers" by] J.C. ("Joe") Duffy -- Rolf, Lance, Lars,
and Al Fusco, and Axel (the wolverine). 4 for Stephen.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/I.jpg

["Doonesbury" by] Garry Trudeau -- Rick and Jeff Redfern, Joan Caucus.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua (the hard way), Stephen, and Bruce.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo9/9/J.jpg

["FoxTrot" by] Bill Amend -- Roger, Andy, Peter, Paige, and Jason Fox.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> (Again, all of the category titles were names of teams in the
> Canadian Inquisition. This time we could only find good questions
> to fit four of the then-active teams without repeating from
> the earlier round where we used this theme, so we threw in one
> defunct team. Of the five, only Five Guys Named Moe were still
> active up to the pandemic shutdown in 2020.)

> * A. All Over Twisted

> A1. If a strip of paper is given a half-twist and its ends
> joined together, it forms a configuration with a single
> surface and a single edge. What is the mathematical term
> for this?

Möbius strip. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
Stephen, and Bruce.

> A2. The <answer A1> has a theoretical 3-dimensional analog,
> a solid figure with no inside. To actually construct
> this figure would require access to 4-dimensional space,
> but a form resembling it can be made in glass by extending
> the neck of a bottle, passing it through a hole (which we
> pretend does not exist) in the side, and joining it onto
> a hole in the base. What is this theoretical figure called?

Klein bottle. 4 for everyone.

> * B. Team Formerly Known As

> B1. The Toronto NHL franchise now called the Maple Leafs had
> two previous names. Give *either one*.

Arenas (or Blueshirts), or (as I mentioned in the answer posting to
Game 7, Round 9) St. Patricks. 4 for Stephen.

> B2. The Detroit NHL franchise now called the Red Wings had two
> previous names. Give *either one*.

Cougars, Falcons. 4 for Stephen.

Yes, we did use those two questions again in 2007, in reverse.

> * C. 8:30 in Newfoundland

This team name alludes to shows on Canadian TV networks that are fed
separately for every time zone except NT, which is only half an hour
off AT. They are seen at, for example, "8:00, 8:30 in Newfoundland".
The US equivalent, of course, would be "7 Central".

> C1. If the month is July and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's, Newfoundland,
> what time """is""" it in Whitehorse, Yukon?

4:00 AM. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 2 for Bruce.

The original version of this question did not specify the month,
but Yukon is now on Mountain Standard Time all year, equivalent to
its former Pacific Time zone with permanent daylight saving time.

> C2. If the month is January and it's 8:30 AM in St. John's,
> Newfoundland, what time """is""" it in Nottingham, England?

12:00 noon. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen,
and Bruce.

> * D. Five Guys Named Moe

> D1. The Three Stooges only had one guy named Moe, but they had
> more than two other guys, as one replaced another over time.
> How many stooges, altogether, performed as official members
> of the group under that name?

6. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen. 2 for Bruce.

In alphabetical order: Joe Besser, Larry Fine, Curly Joe DeRita,
Curly Howard, Moe Howard, Shemp Howard. Ted Healy left the group
before they became the Three Stooges; Joe Palma replaced Shemp Howard
unofficially; and while plans were made for Emil Sitka to perform
with the group, they never reached fruition.

> D2. At one time there used to be an Oscar for the best comedy
> short film. A 1934 Three Stooges film, nominated for this
> Oscar, had the same title as one of the films that won an
> Oscar """last week""". What title?

"Men in Black", as mentioned in Xound 1. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * E. Press Gang

> *Note*: On this pair you can give either the 1998 answer
> or the current/recent answer, and you don't need to
> say which year you're answering for, but when giving
> a single two-part answer, both parts must be for the
> same one of the two years. And for greater clarity,
> a "news*paper*" is not an Internet publication.

> E1. This pair is about the daily newspapers with the largest
> circulation. In the original game in 1998, the leading
> US newspaper in circulation was the "Wall Street Journal",
> and you could name *any two* of the next four. Today the
> "Wall Street Journal" has dropped to second place, and you
> can name *any other two* of the top five.

The "New York Times", "Los Angeles Times", and "USA Today" were
correct in both 1998 and 2021; in 1998 also the "Washington Post"; in
2021 also "Newsday". 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.

> E2. In 1998 three of the four leading Canadian daily newspapers,
> in circulation, were the three Toronto papers. (With recent
> data -- based on 2015, as I couldn't find anything newer --
> and now four Toronto papers, they occupy four of the top
> 7 places.) Name any *two of the four* largest-circulation
> Canadian papers *outside* Toronto, excluding free papers.

"Le Journal (de Montréal)" and the "Vancouver Sun" were correct in
both 1998 and 2015. In 1998 also "La Presse" and the (Vancouver)
"Province"; in 2015 also "Le Journal de Québec" and the (Hamilton)
"Spectator". 3 for Joshua.

Click here to read the complete article