The truth is what is; what should be is a dirty lie. -- Lenny Bruce

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL recordsswp
`- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8 answers: authors, NHL recordsMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<nqCdnU8hrMWhDH_9nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3109&group=rec.games.trivia#3109

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 23:57:32 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 04:57 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.

* Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author

Who wrote the following passages? All writers are known as
novelists and/or short-story writers, but some selections may be
from their non-fiction work. We give you the year of composition
or publication for each passage, and sometimes the country.

1. (1992.) "On a perfect summer day in Montreal, local raspberries
in season, two tickets to that night's ball game riding in my
breast pocket, I went to meet some friends at a downtown bar
I favored at the time: Woody's Pub, on Bishop Street."

2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
the faith to yield to the mystery."

5. (1977, Canada.) "Sarah was speculating about how she would be
doing this whole trip if Edward had conveniently died. It wasn't
that she wished him dead, but she couldn't imagine any other
way for him to disappear. He was omnipresent; he pervaded her
life like a kind of smell..."

6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."

7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."

8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"

9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."

10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
were striking thirteen."

* Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present

Where we ask for a team, you can give either the city name or
the team name. Where we ask for a duration, it always refers to
playing time.

1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
that overtime was.

2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
either of the players who scored the winning goals.

3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
those three final series.

4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
of one year and the first 3 of the next.

5. We now turn to the regular season for the remaining questions.
In the NHL's earliest years, scores were high and a star player
could dominate the game in a way never seen today. The league's
first season, 1917-18, was 22 games long. One man missed
2 games and still scored 44 goals. This goals-per-game record
"""still stands today""", as does his record, 2 years later,
of scoring 7 goals in the same game. Name him.

6. In the late 1920s the amount of scoring fell drastically,
until the relaxation of forward-passing rules allowed it to
rise again. Over a period of 4 years the record for best
goaltending average went to 1.12 goals per game, then 1.05,
and finally 0.92! Name either of the two goalies who achieved
these three successive records.

7. """Two""" goalies share the record of having allowed the
fewest goals per game in the league in 5 consecutive seasons.
Name either one.

8. A second era of high scoring was World War II. "Rocket"
Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
to do that *twice*?

9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
in the NHL?

10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with all questions
on the round: Vs bar bs lbhe nafjref jnf "Uhyy", lbh arrq gb tb
onpx naq fhccyl gur zna'f svefg anzr.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Beware the Calends of April also."
msb@vex.net -- Peter Neumann

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<XnsAD5E60DD8AD00Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3110&group=rec.games.trivia#3110

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 09:31:20 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 07:31 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author
>
> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

George Orwell.
> * Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present
>
> 1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
> playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
> scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
> that overtime was.

30 seconds
> 2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
> played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
> Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
> Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
> either of the players who scored the winning goals.

Seven
> 3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
> structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
> one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
> new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
> those three final series.

St Louis Blues
> 4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
> playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
> of one year and the first 3 of the next.

Oilers; Red Wings
> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?

Peter Forsberg (Hey, I need to be patriotic. :-)
> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

134

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<sbv3va$jvq$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3111&group=rec.games.trivia#3111

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:11:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author

> 2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
> faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
> descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

F. Scott Fitzgerald; James Joyce

> 3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
> from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

Amy Tan

> 4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
> inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
> mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
> face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
> the faith to yield to the mystery."

D. H. Lawrence

> 6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
> An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
> later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."

W. P. Kinsella

> 7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
> am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
> would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
> their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."

Edgar Allan Poe; Herman Melville

> 8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
> High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
> good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
> turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
> formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"

Robertson Davies

> 9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
> little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
> very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."

Salman Rushdie

> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

George Orwell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present

> 1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
> playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
> scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
> that overtime was.

10; 35

> 2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
> played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
> Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
> Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
> either of the players who scored the winning goals.

5; 6

> 3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
> structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
> one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
> new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
> those three final series.

Sabres; Blues

> 4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
> playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
> of one year and the first 3 of the next.

Oilers

> 8. A second era of high scoring was World War II. "Rocket"
> Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
> record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
> as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
> scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
> to do that *twice*?

Howe; Gretzky

> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?

Gretzky

> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

112; 122

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<sc0b6o$sub$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3112&group=rec.games.trivia#3112

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:21:31 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 01:21 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author
>
> Who wrote the following passages? All writers are known as
> novelists and/or short-story writers, but some selections may be
> from their non-fiction work. We give you the year of composition
> or publication for each passage, and sometimes the country.
>
> 1. (1992.) "On a perfect summer day in Montreal, local raspberries
> in season, two tickets to that night's ball game riding in my
> breast pocket, I went to meet some friends at a downtown bar
> I favored at the time: Woody's Pub, on Bishop Street."
>
> 2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
> faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
> descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."
>
> 3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
> from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

Tan

> 4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
> inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
> mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
> face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
> the faith to yield to the mystery."
>
> 5. (1977, Canada.) "Sarah was speculating about how she would be
> doing this whole trip if Edward had conveniently died. It wasn't
> that she wished him dead, but she couldn't imagine any other
> way for him to disappear. He was omnipresent; he pervaded her
> life like a kind of smell..."
>
> 6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
> An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
> later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."
>
> 7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
> am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
> would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
> their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."

Shelley

> 8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
> High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
> good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
> turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
> formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"
>
> 9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
> little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
> very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."

Rushdie

> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

Orwell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present
>
> Where we ask for a team, you can give either the city name or
> the team name. Where we ask for a duration, it always refers to
> playing time.
>
> 1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
> playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
> scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
> that overtime was.

20; 41

> 2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
> played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
> Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
> Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
> either of the players who scored the winning goals.

5; 6

> 3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
> structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
> one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
> new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
> those three final series.

Blues

> 4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
> playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
> of one year and the first 3 of the next.

Islanders; Canadiens

> 5. We now turn to the regular season for the remaining questions.
> In the NHL's earliest years, scores were high and a star player
> could dominate the game in a way never seen today. The league's
> first season, 1917-18, was 22 games long. One man missed
> 2 games and still scored 44 goals. This goals-per-game record
> """still stands today""", as does his record, 2 years later,
> of scoring 7 goals in the same game. Name him.
>
> 6. In the late 1920s the amount of scoring fell drastically,
> until the relaxation of forward-passing rules allowed it to
> rise again. Over a period of 4 years the record for best
> goaltending average went to 1.12 goals per game, then 1.05,
> and finally 0.92! Name either of the two goalies who achieved
> these three successive records.

Vezina

> 7. """Two""" goalies share the record of having allowed the
> fewest goals per game in the league in 5 consecutive seasons.
> Name either one.

Worsley; Dryden

> 8. A second era of high scoring was World War II. "Rocket"
> Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
> record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
> as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
> scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
> to do that *twice*?

Bobby Hull

> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?
>
> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

82; 92

> Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with all questions
> on the round: Vs bar bs lbhe nafjref jnf "Uhyy", lbh arrq gb tb
> onpx naq fhccyl gur zna'f svefg anzr.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<sc0kso$2id$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3113&group=rec.games.trivia#3113

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 21:06:47 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 04:06 UTC

On 7/4/21 9:57 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author
>
> Who wrote the following passages? All writers are known as
> novelists and/or short-story writers, but some selections may be
> from their non-fiction work. We give you the year of composition
> or publication for each passage, and sometimes the country.
>
> 1. (1992.) "On a perfect summer day in Montreal, local raspberries
> in season, two tickets to that night's ball game riding in my
> breast pocket, I went to meet some friends at a downtown bar
> I favored at the time: Woody's Pub, on Bishop Street."
>
> 2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
> faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
> descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."
>
> 3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
> from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

Amy Tan

> 4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
> inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
> mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
> face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
> the faith to yield to the mystery."
>
> 5. (1977, Canada.) "Sarah was speculating about how she would be
> doing this whole trip if Edward had conveniently died. It wasn't
> that she wished him dead, but she couldn't imagine any other
> way for him to disappear. He was omnipresent; he pervaded her
> life like a kind of smell..."
>
> 6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
> An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
> later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."
>
> 7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
> am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
> would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
> their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."
>
> 8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
> High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
> good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
> turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
> formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"
>
> 9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
> little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
> very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."
>
> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

George Orwell

> [...]
> Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
> record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
> as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
> scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
> to do that *twice*?
>
> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?
>
> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?
>
> Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with all questions
> on the round: Vs bar bs lbhe nafjref jnf "Uhyy", lbh arrq gb tb
> onpx naq fhccyl gur zna'f svefg anzr.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8: authors, NHL records

<861c630f-b9d9-4242-9bb5-dea4bca9bd2an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3114&group=rec.games.trivia#3114

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 05:05 UTC

On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 12:57:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author
>
> Who wrote the following passages? All writers are known as
> novelists and/or short-story writers, but some selections may be
> from their non-fiction work. We give you the year of composition
> or publication for each passage, and sometimes the country.
>
> 1. (1992.) "On a perfect summer day in Montreal, local raspberries
> in season, two tickets to that night's ball game riding in my
> breast pocket, I went to meet some friends at a downtown bar
> I favored at the time: Woody's Pub, on Bishop Street."

richler

> 2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
> faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
> descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

joyce

> 3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
> from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

tan

> 4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
> inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
> mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
> face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
> the faith to yield to the mystery."

d.h. lawrence

> 5. (1977, Canada.) "Sarah was speculating about how she would be
> doing this whole trip if Edward had conveniently died. It wasn't
> that she wished him dead, but she couldn't imagine any other
> way for him to disappear. He was omnipresent; he pervaded her
> life like a kind of smell..."

atwood

> 6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
> An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
> later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."

kinsella

> 7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
> am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
> would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
> their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."

edgar allan poe

> 8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
> High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
> good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
> turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
> formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"

davies

> 9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
> little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
> very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."

gah! I read this and the others in this round 11 years ago after it was originally set. thinking is hard, remembering shouldn't be.

I will guess ... rohinton mistry

> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

george orwell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present
>
> Where we ask for a team, you can give either the city name or
> the team name. Where we ask for a duration, it always refers to
> playing time.
>
> 1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
> playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
> scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
> that overtime was.

10 seconds

> 2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
> played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
> Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
> Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
> either of the players who scored the winning goals.

6 periods

> 3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
> structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
> one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
> new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
> those three final series.

st louis blues

> 4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
> playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
> of one year and the first 3 of the next.

pittsburgh penguins

> 5. We now turn to the regular season for the remaining questions.
> In the NHL's earliest years, scores were high and a star player
> could dominate the game in a way never seen today. The league's
> first season, 1917-18, was 22 games long. One man missed
> 2 games and still scored 44 goals. This goals-per-game record
> """still stands today""", as does his record, 2 years later,
> of scoring 7 goals in the same game. Name him.

malone

> 6. In the late 1920s the amount of scoring fell drastically,
> until the relaxation of forward-passing rules allowed it to
> rise again. Over a period of 4 years the record for best
> goaltending average went to 1.12 goals per game, then 1.05,
> and finally 0.92! Name either of the two goalies who achieved
> these three successive records.

patrick roy

> 7. """Two""" goalies share the record of having allowed the
> fewest goals per game in the league in 5 consecutive seasons.
> Name either one.

patrick roy

> 8. A second era of high scoring was World War II. "Rocket"
> Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
> record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
> as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
> scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
> to do that *twice*?

bobby hull

> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?

mike bossy

> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

92

> Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with all questions
> on the round: If one of your answers was "Hull", you need to go
> back and supply the man's first name.
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Beware the Calends of April also."
> m...@vex.net -- Peter Neumann
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8 answers: authors, NHL records

<BsidnTvhAYdfOXv9nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3115&group=rec.games.trivia#3115

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 7-8 answers: authors, NHL records
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 02:09:54 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 07:09 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds and one question in the other.

The sports round and literature question 10 were mine.

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Literature - Name the Author

> Who wrote the following passages? All writers are known as
> novelists and/or short-story writers, but some selections may be
> from their non-fiction work. We give you the year of composition
> or publication for each passage, and sometimes the country.

> 1. (1992.) "On a perfect summer day in Montreal, local raspberries
> in season, two tickets to that night's ball game riding in my
> breast pocket, I went to meet some friends at a downtown bar
> I favored at the time: Woody's Pub, on Bishop Street."

Mordecai Richler. ("Oh Canada! Oh Quebec!") 4 for Stephen.

> 2. (1914.) "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling
> faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the
> descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

James Joyce. ("The Dead".) 4 for Stephen. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. (1989.) "After the show, the Hsus, the Jongs, and the St. Clairs
> from the Joy Luck Club came up to my mother and father."

Amy Tan. ("The Joy Luck Club", of course.) 4 for Dan Blum, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 4. (1921, England.) "Birkin looked at the pale fingers, the
> inert mass. He remembered a dead stallion he had seen: a dead
> mass of maleness, repugnant. He remembered also the beautiful
> face of one whom he had loved, and who had died still having
> the faith to yield to the mystery."

D.H. Lawrence. ("Women in Love".) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. (1977, Canada.) "Sarah was speculating about how she would be
> doing this whole trip if Edward had conveniently died. It wasn't
> that she wished him dead, but she couldn't imagine any other
> way for him to disappear. He was omnipresent; he pervaded her
> life like a kind of smell..."

Margaret Atwood. ("The Resplendent Quetzal".) 4 for Stephen.

> 6. (1984.) "Summer without baseball: a disruption to the psyche.
> An unexplainable aimlessness engulfs me. I stay later and
> later each evening in the small office at the rear of my shop."

W.P. Kinsella. ("The Thrill of the Grass", referring to the baseball
strike of June-July 1981.) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 7. (1843.) "For the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I
> am about to pen, I neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed
> would I be to expect it, in a case where my very senses reject
> their own evidence. Yet, mad I am not..."

Edgar Allan Poe. ("The Black Cat".) 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. (1982, Canada.) "The range of guests who come to our fortnightly
> High Table dinners is wide, and provides us with extraordinarily
> good company. Sometimes we get a surprise -- an economist who
> turns out to be a poet, for instance. (I mean a poet in the
> formal sense: all economists are rapt, fanciful creatures...)"

Robertson Davies. ("The Charlottetown Banquet".) 4 for Dan Blum
and Stephen.

> 9. (1987, Canada.) "I always believed in ghosts. When I was
> little I saw them in my father's small field in Goa. That was
> very long ago, before I came to Bombay to work as an ayah."

Rohinton Mistry. ("Tales from Firozsha Baag".) 4 for Stephen.

> 10. (1948.) "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks
> were striking thirteen."

George Orwell (Eric Blair). ("Nineteen Eighty-Four".) 4 for everyone
-- Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Sports - NHL Records, Past and Present

> Where we ask for a team, you can give either the city name or
> the team name. Where we ask for a duration, it always refers to
> playing time.

> 1. The """shortest-ever""" overtime in the history of the NHL
> playoffs took place in 1986. Either name the player who
> scored the winning goal, or tell within 10 seconds how long
> that overtime was.

Brian Skrudland, 9 seconds (accepting 0-19). (Still true.)
4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

His goal won the Stanley Cup for the Montreal Canadiens.

> 2. The two """longest-ever""" overtime games in NHL history were
> played in 1933 and 1936, both in the Stanley Cup semifinals.
> Both games required the same number of overtime periods.
> Either tell us how many overtime periods that was, or name
> either of the players who scored the winning goals.

6 overtime periods; Ken Doraty (1933, Toronto Maple Leafs beat Boston
Bruins 1-0); Modere "Mud" Bruneteau (1936, Detroit Red Wings beat
Montreal Maroons 1-0). 4 for Stephen. 2 for Dan Blum and Pete.

They're still the longest games ever. When the round was written,
in fact, there had never been another game with as many as 5 overtime
periods, but there were three in 2000, 2003, and 2020. Still no
more with 6, though.

> 3. For 3 seasons when the NHL had 12 teams, the playoffs were
> structured so that the Stanley Cup Final would have to match
> one of the so-called "original six" teams with one of the six
> new expansion teams. Name the team that lost all 12 games of
> those three final series.

St. Louis Blues. (1968-70.) 4 for Erland, Pete, and Stephen.
2 for Dan Blum.

They were beaten twice by the Montreal Canadiens, then by the
Boston Bruins.

> 4. And name the """only team that has""" won 14 consecutive
> playoff games. These consisted of the last 11 playoff games
> of one year and the first 3 of the next.

Pittsburgh Penguins. (1992 Cup win, 1993; still true). 4 for
Stephen.

> 5. We now turn to the regular season for the remaining questions.
> In the NHL's earliest years, scores were high and a star player
> could dominate the game in a way never seen today. The league's
> first season, 1917-18, was 22 games long. One man missed
> 2 games and still scored 44 goals. This goals-per-game record
> """still stands today""", as does his record, 2 years later,
> of scoring 7 goals in the same game. Name him.

Joe Malone (Montreal Canadiens; still true). 4 for Stephen.

> 6. In the late 1920s the amount of scoring fell drastically,
> until the relaxation of forward-passing rules allowed it to
> rise again. Over a period of 4 years the record for best
> goaltending average went to 1.12 goals per game, then 1.05,
> and finally 0.92! Name either of the two goalies who achieved
> these three successive records.

Alex Connell (1925-26, the original Ottawa Senators), George
Hainsworth (1927-28, 1928-29, Montreal Canadiens).

> 7. """Two""" goalies share the record of having allowed the
> fewest goals per game in the league in 5 consecutive seasons.
> Name either one.

Clint Benedict (1918-23, the original Ottawa Senators), Jacques Plante
(1955-61, Montreal Canadiens). (Still true.)

The same two men were also the first NHL goalies to wear a protective
mask while playing. Benedict used a leather mask temporarily in 1930,
when he was with the Montreal Maroons, to protect a facial fracture;
Plante developed a fiberglass (i.e. fiberglass-reinforced plastic)
mask and in 1959 began using it routinely.

> 8. A second era of high scoring was World War II. "Rocket"
> Richard's 50 goals in 50 games in 1944-45 set a modern-era
> record of 1 goal per game that stood for over 30 years. But
> as the season has grown still longer, many players have now
> scored at least 50 goals in a season. Who was the first man
> to do that *twice*?

Bobby Hull (Chicago Black Hawks: 1961-62, 70 games; 1965-66, played 65
of 70 games). The first name was required. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

> 9. And who was the first to score 50 goals in his *first* season
> in the NHL?

Mike Bossy (New York Islanders, 1977-78: 53 goals, played 73 of
80 games). 4 for Stephen.

> 10. The record for most goals in a season, of course, """belongs"""
> to Wayne Gretzky. That was the 1980-81 season, which was 80
> games long. Within 1, how many goals did he score?

92 (accepting 91-93; still true). 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

He was with the Edmonton Oilers.

When I posted this round in 2009, I was somewhat bemused to see that
the answers given by various entrants for this question included
62, 72, 82, 92, and 103. I asked why not 102 for the last one,
to continue the pattern? This time we had 82, 92, 112, 122 --
and 134 to break the pattern.

Click here to read the complete article