Those who don't know, talk. Those who don't talk, know.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10 answers: lawyers, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challengePete Gayde
`- RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10 answers: lawyers, challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge

<_9qdndKdZKn_OHv9nZ2dnUU7-RXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3116&group=rec.games.trivia#3116

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 02:12:34 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 07:12 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I think I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.

** Game 10, Round 9 - History [with 50% Canadian content] - Lawyers and Clients

1. The first half of this round involves Canadian people and
Canadian cases. At Guy Paul Morin's original trial for murder
in 1986, his lawyer put forward the defense that he was innocent
but that, if the jury disagreed, they should take into account
that Morin was also insane. Who was this lawyer?

2. Name the lawyer who co-wrote and narrated "The Scales of
Justice", and is """now""" defending former Nova Scotia
premier Gerald Regan on various sex-related charges.

3. Name either of the lawyers who defended Paul Bernardo at
his trial.

4. He was a violinist in a symphony orchestra, a football player
in the CFL, a lawyer, and finally a judge on the Supreme Court
of Canada. Name him.

5. During the 1980s this Canadian lawyer argued several cases
involving constitutional and energy issues *against* the
government of his native province; then in April 1989 he
became premier of the province. Name him.

6. The remaining questions involve cases and people in the US.
In the original trial of O.J. Simpson, which member of the
defense team refused to cooperate with Johnny Cochrane's racially
based strategy?

7. In 1978 in San Francisco, George Moscone (the mayor) and
Harvey Milk (a politician and gay rights advocate) were killed
by conservative politician Dan White. In the end White was
convicted of manslaughter, but not murder. What bizarre version
of the insanity defense was used at his trial?

8. What lawyer defended Jack Ruby on the charge of murdering Lee
Oswald? He """has""" also made personal injury cases a
specialty, winning the sobriquet "King of Torts", through his
extensive use of films and other demonstrative physical evidence.

9. What lawyer successfully prosecuted Charles Manson for murder,
then wrote the book "Helter Skelter" about the case?

10. The 1925 case that inspired the play and movie "Inherit the
Wind" involved a famous lawyer on each side (one of them a
past candidate for president). The defendant was accused of
teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. Name any *two* of the
three men in the real-life case.

** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

I'm going to present and score the complete round even though one of
the pairs is current events. One of the events might be memorable
enough anyway...

* A. """Current""" Events in Crime

A1. Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan are hosts of a show on
cable TV's The Sports Network, while Karen Monaghan was
host of a show on the same subject on the Women's Television
Network. The three hosts were each fined $800 on Friday for
committing the same offense during production of their shows.
(One of them was fined $200 more for a related offense.)
What did they all do?

A2. """Last year""" in London, England, Anthony-Noel Kelly
produced sculptures that were exhibited in an art gallery.
"""On Friday""" he was sentenced to 9 months in prison as
a result of the way he made them, and his accomplice was
fined £400. What did they do?

* B. Vitamin Deficiencies

B1. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D?
B2. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B1?

* C. Movies about TV

C1. The story of the movie "Quiz Show" was based on deceptions
committed by the producers of what real-life TV show depicted
in the film?

C2. In the movie "Network", who played the "Mad Prophet of the
Airwaves", Howard Beale?

* D. L.s.d.

D1. Until the early 1970s, the pound sterling was divided into
240 pence, not 100. The abbreviation for the new penny is
"p", but for the old penny, it was "d." This letter was
taken from the initial of what ancient Roman coin?

D2. 12d. was equal to one shilling, abbreviated s. It is
only a coincidence that "shilling" starts with S: this
abbreviation, too, was really the initial of an ancient
Roman coin. What coin?

* E. -Icles in Religion

We give you a definition; you name the word. Each answer ends with
the sounds "ick'l", but *not* necessarily spelled -icle.

E1. (Noun.) A clandestine religious meeting, especially of
Nonconformists or Dissenters; a building used for this.

E2. (Adjective.) Pertaining to an ancient Jewish sect
distinguished by strict observance of traditional and
written law; self-righteous, formalistic, hypocritical.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Now that is good enough to save and
msb@vex.net | plagiarise elsewhere." --Paul Wolff

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge

<sc70k7$sk9$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3117&group=rec.games.trivia#3117

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:03:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:03 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History [with 50% Canadian content] - Lawyers and Clients

> 6. The remaining questions involve cases and people in the US.
> In the original trial of O.J. Simpson, which member of the
> defense team refused to cooperate with Johnny Cochrane's racially
> based strategy?

Bailey

> 7. In 1978 in San Francisco, George Moscone (the mayor) and
> Harvey Milk (a politician and gay rights advocate) were killed
> by conservative politician Dan White. In the end White was
> convicted of manslaughter, but not murder. What bizarre version
> of the insanity defense was used at his trial?

claimed he was in an altered mental state from eating too many
Twinkies

> 8. What lawyer defended Jack Ruby on the charge of murdering Lee
> Oswald? He """has""" also made personal injury cases a
> specialty, winning the sobriquet "King of Torts", through his
> extensive use of films and other demonstrative physical evidence.

Belli

> 10. The 1925 case that inspired the play and movie "Inherit the
> Wind" involved a famous lawyer on each side (one of them a
> past candidate for president). The defendant was accused of
> teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. Name any *two* of the
> three men in the real-life case.

Scopes and Darrow

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. """Current""" Events in Crime

> A1. Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan are hosts of a show on
> cable TV's The Sports Network, while Karen Monaghan was
> host of a show on the same subject on the Women's Television
> Network. The three hosts were each fined $800 on Friday for
> committing the same offense during production of their shows.
> (One of them was fined $200 more for a related offense.)
> What did they all do?

swear

> * B. Vitamin Deficiencies

> B1. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D?

rickets

> B2. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B1?

beri-beri

> * C. Movies about TV

> C1. The story of the movie "Quiz Show" was based on deceptions
> committed by the producers of what real-life TV show depicted
> in the film?

Twenty Questions

> C2. In the movie "Network", who played the "Mad Prophet of the
> Airwaves", Howard Beale?

Peter Falk

> * D. L.s.d.

> D1. Until the early 1970s, the pound sterling was divided into
> 240 pence, not 100. The abbreviation for the new penny is
> "p", but for the old penny, it was "d." This letter was
> taken from the initial of what ancient Roman coin?

denarius

> D2. 12d. was equal to one shilling, abbreviated s. It is
> only a coincidence that "shilling" starts with S: this
> abbreviation, too, was really the initial of an ancient
> Roman coin. What coin?

sesterce

> * E. -Icles in Religion

> E1. (Noun.) A clandestine religious meeting, especially of
> Nonconformists or Dissenters; a building used for this.

tabernacle

> E2. (Adjective.) Pertaining to an ancient Jewish sect
> distinguished by strict observance of traditional and
> written law; self-righteous, formalistic, hypocritical.

Pharaisical

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge

<sc9t0a$j3n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3118&group=rec.games.trivia#3118

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:20:19 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 16:20 UTC

On 7/8/21 12:12 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History [with 50% Canadian content] - Lawyers
and Clients

> 1. The first half of this round involves Canadian people and
> Canadian cases. At Guy Paul Morin's original trial for murder
> in 1986, his lawyer put forward the defense that he was innocent
> but that, if the jury disagreed, they should take into account
> that Morin was also insane. Who was this lawyer?
>
> 2. Name the lawyer who co-wrote and narrated "The Scales of
> Justice", and is """now""" defending former Nova Scotia
> premier Gerald Regan on various sex-related charges.
>
> 3. Name either of the lawyers who defended Paul Bernardo at
> his trial.
>
> 4. He was a violinist in a symphony orchestra, a football player
> in the CFL, a lawyer, and finally a judge on the Supreme Court
> of Canada. Name him.
>
> 5. During the 1980s this Canadian lawyer argued several cases
> involving constitutional and energy issues *against* the
> government of his native province; then in April 1989 he
> became premier of the province. Name him.
>
> 6. The remaining questions involve cases and people in the US.
> In the original trial of O.J. Simpson, which member of the
> defense team refused to cooperate with Johnny Cochrane's racially
> based strategy?
>
> 7. In 1978 in San Francisco, George Moscone (the mayor) and
> Harvey Milk (a politician and gay rights advocate) were killed
> by conservative politician Dan White. In the end White was
> convicted of manslaughter, but not murder. What bizarre version
> of the insanity defense was used at his trial?
The Twinkie defense

> 8. What lawyer defended Jack Ruby on the charge of murdering Lee
> Oswald? He """has""" also made personal injury cases a
> specialty, winning the sobriquet "King of Torts", through his
> extensive use of films and other demonstrative physical evidence.
>
> 9. What lawyer successfully prosecuted Charles Manson for murder,
> then wrote the book "Helter Skelter" about the case?
>
> 10. The 1925 case that inspired the play and movie "Inherit the
> Wind" involved a famous lawyer on each side (one of them a
> past candidate for president). The defendant was accused of
> teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. Name any *two* of the
> three men in the real-life case.
Clarence Darrow, William Jennings Bryan

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> I'm going to present and score the complete round even though one of
> the pairs is current events. One of the events might be memorable
> enough anyway...
>
> * A. """Current""" Events in Crime
>
> A1. Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan are hosts of a show on
> cable TV's The Sports Network, while Karen Monaghan was
> host of a show on the same subject on the Women's Television
> Network. The three hosts were each fined $800 on Friday for
> committing the same offense during production of their shows.
> (One of them was fined $200 more for a related offense.)
> What did they all do?
>
> A2. """Last year""" in London, England, Anthony-Noel Kelly
> produced sculptures that were exhibited in an art gallery.
> """On Friday""" he was sentenced to 9 months in prison as
> a result of the way he made them, and his accomplice was
> fined £400. What did they do?
>

> * B. Vitamin Deficiencies
>
> B1. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D?> B2.
What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B1?
beriberi

> * C. Movies about TV
>
> C1. The story of the movie "Quiz Show" was based on deceptions
> committed by the producers of what real-life TV show depicted
> in the film?
$64,000 Question

> C2. In the movie "Network", who played the "Mad Prophet of the
> Airwaves", Howard Beale?
>

> * D. L.s.d.
>
> D1. Until the early 1970s, the pound sterling was divided into
> 240 pence, not 100. The abbreviation for the new penny is
> "p", but for the old penny, it was "d." This letter was
> taken from the initial of what ancient Roman coin?
denarius

> D2. 12d. was equal to one shilling, abbreviated s. It is
> only a coincidence that "shilling" starts with S: this
> abbreviation, too, was really the initial of an ancient
> Roman coin. What coin?
>

> * E. -Icles in Religion
>
> We give you a definition; you name the word. Each answer ends with
> the sounds "ick'l", but *not* necessarily spelled -icle.
>
> E1. (Noun.) A clandestine religious meeting, especially of
> Nonconformists or Dissenters; a building used for this.
>
> E2. (Adjective.) Pertaining to an ancient Jewish sect
> distinguished by strict observance of traditional and
> written law; self-righteous, formalistic, hypocritical.

pharisaical

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: lawyers, challenge

<scavgu$o42$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3119&group=rec.games.trivia#3119

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:09:37 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 02:09 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I think I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History [with 50% Canadian content] - Lawyers and Clients
>
> 1. The first half of this round involves Canadian people and
> Canadian cases. At Guy Paul Morin's original trial for murder
> in 1986, his lawyer put forward the defense that he was innocent
> but that, if the jury disagreed, they should take into account
> that Morin was also insane. Who was this lawyer?
>
> 2. Name the lawyer who co-wrote and narrated "The Scales of
> Justice", and is """now""" defending former Nova Scotia
> premier Gerald Regan on various sex-related charges.
>
> 3. Name either of the lawyers who defended Paul Bernardo at
> his trial.
>
> 4. He was a violinist in a symphony orchestra, a football player
> in the CFL, a lawyer, and finally a judge on the Supreme Court
> of Canada. Name him.
>
> 5. During the 1980s this Canadian lawyer argued several cases
> involving constitutional and energy issues *against* the
> government of his native province; then in April 1989 he
> became premier of the province. Name him.
>
> 6. The remaining questions involve cases and people in the US.
> In the original trial of O.J. Simpson, which member of the
> defense team refused to cooperate with Johnny Cochrane's racially
> based strategy?

F. Lee Bailey

> 7. In 1978 in San Francisco, George Moscone (the mayor) and
> Harvey Milk (a politician and gay rights advocate) were killed
> by conservative politician Dan White. In the end White was
> convicted of manslaughter, but not murder. What bizarre version
> of the insanity defense was used at his trial?

Twinkie defense

> 8. What lawyer defended Jack Ruby on the charge of murdering Lee
> Oswald? He """has""" also made personal injury cases a
> specialty, winning the sobriquet "King of Torts", through his
> extensive use of films and other demonstrative physical evidence.

F. Lee Bailey

> 9. What lawyer successfully prosecuted Charles Manson for murder,
> then wrote the book "Helter Skelter" about the case?
>
> 10. The 1925 case that inspired the play and movie "Inherit the
> Wind" involved a famous lawyer on each side (one of them a
> past candidate for president). The defendant was accused of
> teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. Name any *two* of the
> three men in the real-life case.

Scopes and Darrow

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> I'm going to present and score the complete round even though one of
> the pairs is current events. One of the events might be memorable
> enough anyway...
>
> * A. """Current""" Events in Crime
>
> A1. Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan are hosts of a show on
> cable TV's The Sports Network, while Karen Monaghan was
> host of a show on the same subject on the Women's Television
> Network. The three hosts were each fined $800 on Friday for
> committing the same offense during production of their shows.
> (One of them was fined $200 more for a related offense.)
> What did they all do?

Used obscenities

> A2. """Last year""" in London, England, Anthony-Noel Kelly
> produced sculptures that were exhibited in an art gallery.
> """On Friday""" he was sentenced to 9 months in prison as
> a result of the way he made them, and his accomplice was
> fined £400. What did they do?
>

> * B. Vitamin Deficiencies
>
> B1. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D?

Rickets; Osteoporosis

> B2. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B1?
>

> * C. Movies about TV
>
> C1. The story of the movie "Quiz Show" was based on deceptions
> committed by the producers of what real-life TV show depicted
> in the film?

The $64,000 Question

> C2. In the movie "Network", who played the "Mad Prophet of the
> Airwaves", Howard Beale?

Peter Finch

> * D. L.s.d.
>
> D1. Until the early 1970s, the pound sterling was divided into
> 240 pence, not 100. The abbreviation for the new penny is
> "p", but for the old penny, it was "d." This letter was
> taken from the initial of what ancient Roman coin?

Ducat

> D2. 12d. was equal to one shilling, abbreviated s. It is
> only a coincidence that "shilling" starts with S: this
> abbreviation, too, was really the initial of an ancient
> Roman coin. What coin?
>

> * E. -Icles in Religion
>
> We give you a definition; you name the word. Each answer ends with
> the sounds "ick'l", but *not* necessarily spelled -icle.
>
> E1. (Noun.) A clandestine religious meeting, especially of
> Nonconformists or Dissenters; a building used for this.
>
> E2. (Adjective.) Pertaining to an ancient Jewish sect
> distinguished by strict observance of traditional and
> written law; self-righteous, formalistic, hypocritical.

Heretical

Pete Gayde

RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10 answers: lawyers, challenge

<hd2dnQYTXcKT6Hf9nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3120&group=rec.games.trivia#3120

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 10 Rounds 9-10 answers: lawyers, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 23:35:26 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 04:35 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on
> 1998-04-06, and should be interpreted accordingly... For further
> information... see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted
> Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has held on to win despite
missing 4 rounds! Hearty congratulations, sir!

> I think I wrote 6 questions in one of these rounds.

In the challenge round, pair D was mine and I think B and C were also.

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History [with 50% Canadian content] - Lawyers
> and Clients

> 1. The first half of this round involves Canadian people and
> Canadian cases. At Guy Paul Morin's original trial for murder
> in 1986, his lawyer put forward the defense that he was innocent
> but that, if the jury disagreed, they should take into account
> that Morin was also insane. Who was this lawyer?

Clayton Ruby.

Morin was acquitted in that trial, then convicted on appeal in 1992,
then acquitted again in 1995 after a further appeal based on DNA
evidence. In 2020 the DNA was used to identify the presumptive actual
murderer as one Calvin Hoover, but there was no prosecution this time
because Hoover had died in 2015. Morin is still alive and so is Ruby.

> 2. Name the lawyer who co-wrote and narrated "The Scales of
> Justice", and is """now""" defending former Nova Scotia
> premier Gerald Regan on various sex-related charges.

Edward Greenspan.

Regan was acquitted, and additional later charges were eventually
dropped. Greenspan died in 2014 and Regan in 2019.

> 3. Name either of the lawyers who defended Paul Bernardo at
> his trial.

John Rosen, Tony Bryant.

> 4. He was a violinist in a symphony orchestra, a football player
> in the CFL, a lawyer, and finally a judge on the Supreme Court
> of Canada. Name him.

John Sopinka. (He died in 1997.)

> 5. During the 1980s this Canadian lawyer argued several cases
> involving constitutional and energy issues *against* the
> government of his native province; then in April 1989 he
> became premier of the province. Name him.

Clyde Wells.

In Newfoundland. He later became Chief Justice of the provincial
Supreme Court. He's still alive.

> 6. The remaining questions involve cases and people in the US.
> In the original trial of O.J. Simpson, which member of the
> defense team refused to cooperate with Johnny Cochrane's racially
> based strategy?

Robert Shapiro.

> 7. In 1978 in San Francisco, George Moscone (the mayor) and
> Harvey Milk (a politician and gay rights advocate) were killed
> by conservative politician Dan White. In the end White was
> convicted of manslaughter, but not murder. What bizarre version
> of the insanity defense was used at his trial?

The "Twinkie defense" -- temporary insanity due to high blood sugar
from junk food. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. What lawyer defended Jack Ruby on the charge of murdering Lee
> Oswald? He """has""" also made personal injury cases a
> specialty, winning the sobriquet "King of Torts", through his
> extensive use of films and other demonstrative physical evidence.

Melvin Belli. (He died in 1996.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. What lawyer successfully prosecuted Charles Manson for murder,
> then wrote the book "Helter Skelter" about the case?

Vincent Bugliosi. (He died in 2015.)

> 10. The 1925 case that inspired the play and movie "Inherit the
> Wind" involved a famous lawyer on each side (one of them a
> past candidate for president). The defendant was accused of
> teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. Name any *two* of the
> three men in the real-life case.

Clarence Darrow, William Jennings Bryan, John Scopes. 4 for everyone.

The respective fictionalized characters from "Inherit the Wind"
were Henry Drummond, Matthew Harrison Brady, and Bertram Cates.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> I'm going to present and score the complete round even though one of
> the pairs is current events. One of the events might be memorable
> enough anyway...

> * A. """Current""" Events in Crime

> A1. Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan are hosts of a show on
> cable TV's The Sports Network, while Karen Monaghan was
> host of a show on the same subject on the Women's Television
> Network. The three hosts were each fined $800 on Friday for
> committing the same offense during production of their shows.
> (One of them was fined $200 more for a related offense.)
> What did they all do?

Snagged fish -- caught them by hooking them in the body.

After that, they would they move the hook to the mouth and fake
catching them in the proper way. Labignan's additional fine was
for failing to release a lake trout.

> A2. """Last year""" in London, England, Anthony-Noel Kelly
> produced sculptures that were exhibited in an art gallery.
> """On Friday""" he was sentenced to 9 months in prison as
> a result of the way he made them, and his accomplice was
> fined £400. What did they do?

Stole various parts of human corpses (and made molds of them).

> * B. Vitamin Deficiencies

> B1. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D?

Rickets, or in later life, osteoporosis. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete
(the hard way).

> B2. What disease is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B1?

Beri-beri. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Movies about TV

> C1. The story of the movie "Quiz Show" was based on deceptions
> committed by the producers of what real-life TV show depicted
> in the film?

"Twenty-One".

> C2. In the movie "Network", who played the "Mad Prophet of the
> Airwaves", Howard Beale?

Peter Finch. 4 for Pete.

> * D. L.s.d.

> D1. Until the early 1970s, the pound sterling was divided into
> 240 pence, not 100. The abbreviation for the new penny is
> "p", but for the old penny, it was "d." This letter was
> taken from the initial of what ancient Roman coin?

Denarius. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> D2. 12d. was equal to one shilling, abbreviated s. It is
> only a coincidence that "shilling" starts with S: this
> abbreviation, too, was really the initial of an ancient
> Roman coin. What coin?

Solidus (not sestertius).

> * E. -Icles in Religion

> We give you a definition; you name the word. Each answer ends with
> the sounds "ick'l", but *not* necessarily spelled -icle.

> E1. (Noun.) A clandestine religious meeting, especially of
> Nonconformists or Dissenters; a building used for this.

Conventicle.

> E2. (Adjective.) Pertaining to an ancient Jewish sect
> distinguished by strict observance of traditional and
> written law; self-righteous, formalistic, hypocritical.

Pharisaical. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Ent Sci Lit Spo His Cha SIX
Stephen Perry -- -- 24 40 40 32 -- -- 136
Dan Blum 10 20 26 24 25 7 12 16 123
Dan Tilque 0 28 19 32 8 0 8 12 107
Pete Gayde 0 29 32 4 8 12 8 8 97
Bruce Bowler 0 30 24 32 -- -- -- -- 86
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 20 0 4 4 -- -- 56

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "If disapproval we will drawback."
msb@vex.net --seen on a box of cookies