The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism. -- Dorothy Parker

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography,Dan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureswp
`* RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureErland Sommarskog
  `* Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureMark Brader
   `* Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureErland Sommarskog
    `- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisureMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<1rudnZSthvBl_HP9nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3128&group=rec.games.trivia#3128

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 23:03:04 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 04:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I think I wrote 3 triples in the Canadiana round, part or all of
the geography round, and 2 triples in the sports round.

** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana

By the way, this was the hardest round for the players in the original
game, so now you have warning of what it's going to be like here!

* Canadian magazine editors

We'll name a Canadian magazine, you tell us the name of its editor.

1. "Frank" (Central Canada version).
2. "Report on Business".
3. "Maclean's".

* Ontario Canoe Routes

4. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
includes OSA Lake, Artist Lake, and George Lake?

5. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
includes Timberwolf Lake, McIntosh Lake, and Big Trout Lake?

6. In what Ontario township """can""" you follow a canoe route
that includes Diamond Lake, Sharp Rock Inlet, and Lady Evelyn
Lake?

* Geographical Extremes

If the answer is on a small island, the name of the island suffices.
Otherwise name the *specific* cape or similar landform in each case.

7. What is the easternmost point of land in Canada?
8. What is the southernmost point of land in Canada?
9. What is the northernmost point of land in Canada?

* Toronto's Lost Villages

The reference for this triple is the book "Toronto's Lost Villages"
by Ron Brown.

10. Along Yonge St. between York Mills and Steele's Corners, there
were at one time or another three other villages, at least
two of whose names are still familiar today as districts.
Name *any two* of the three.

11. Similarly, along Yonge St. between Yorkville and York Mills
were four other villages, at least two of those names are still
familiar today. Name *any two* of the four.

12. Along Kingston Rd. between York and the Scarborough Post Office
were three other villages, one with the name of a country and
one that one of our main streets is named for today. Name *any
one* of the three.

* Toronto Subway Numbers

13. Within 50 feet or 15 meters, how long is a standard subway
platform in Toronto?

14. Within 50 volts, what nominal voltage """is""" on the third
rail, and """is""" it AC or DC? It """is""" the same as on
the overhead wires for streetcars.

15. The gauge of a railway track measures the distance between the
rails. Within ¾ inch or 20 mm, how much *wider than standard
gauge* are subway tracks in Toronto? Again, the answer for
streetcars is the same.

** Final, Round 6 - Geography

Warning: some answers may repeat.

* Long Bridges and Tunnels

1. You may recall that """last season""" the world's record for
longest main span in a suspension bridge was held by the Humber
Bridge, in England. """Two weeks ago""" this was beaten by
more than 40% when a new bridge, with a main span of nearly
2 km, opened on schedule. The bridge connects two islands,
one much larger than the others. *Either* name that larger
island; *or else* the large city nearest to the bridge (it's
on that island); *or else* the bridge itself.

2. There """is""" a second suspension bridge under construction,
in a different part of the world, whose main span of just
under a mile is also longer than that of the Humber Bridge.
It has missed its chance to hold the record, since it """will
not be completed until June""". This one will complete a road
route paralleling an existing railway link that uses a tunnel.
Again, if you *name the bridge* that's a sufficient answer.

*Alternatively, you can name the country or countries*
(as the case may be) at each end of it. That is, if it is an
international bridge you must name *both* countries it connects;
if not, you must name the *one* country where it is located.

(Note: If you name two countries please make it clear whether
you think the bridge is in one country and you're guessing
twice, or if you think it's an international bridge and you're
answering once.)

3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
*both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

* Mediterranean Islands

4. On what island is Valletta?
5. On what island is Cagliari?
6. On what island is Palma?

* Rivers of Eastern Europe

7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
Sea near Gdansk.

* Names of World Landmarks

10. In London, England, the little statue in Piccadilly Circus is
commonly known as Eros. But this is nothing to do with its
actual name, which is what?

11. Everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor,
but that's only the first part of its name. What are the other
three words?

12. And what's the proper name of that 600-foot stainless-steel
weighted-catenary arch in St. Louis?

* Official Languages

13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
languages of Switzerland?

14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
of Finland?

15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure

* The Original Olympics

1. Name either one of the two ancient Greek cities that were the
patrons of the Olympic games from 572 BC onwards. Hint:
Olympia itself was not one of them.

2. Name *any three* of the five events that made up the pentathlon
at the ancient Olympics.

3. Most competitions were track and field events, but at the 25th
Olympiad a crowd-pleasing event that usually attracted only
wealthy contestants was added. What?

* British Soccer

4. In the early 1960s, the fans of the Liverpool soccer club
adopted a then-popular song as an anthem to sing at their games.
Name the song.

5. In what year, within 1, were about half the players on the
Manchester United team killed in a plane crash?

6. Name any one of the """three""" teams that would be relegated
from the English Premier League if the season ended """today""".

* Formula 1 Racing

7. The cars of the three top teams -- McLaren, Ferrari, and
Williams -- in """this year"""'s Formula 1 races all carry ads
for cigarette companies, but curiously none of the three brands
is available domestically in Canada. (You can buy them as
imports.) Marlboro is one brand; name either of the other two.

8. Michael Schumacher """is""" Ferrari's top driver. Who """is"""
the Ferrari team's second driver?

9. Who is Jacques Villeneuve's teammate """at""" Williams?

* Sequences in Games

10. In snooker, as everyone knows, each red ball is worth 1 point.
Give us a list of *all six* so-called colored balls in order
of value from 2 points upward. (Point scores not required.)

11. Give us a list of *all* the hands in standard poker that fall
in between a straight flush and one pair in value. (This means
the usual short descriptions, like "straight flush".) List them
in order from highest to lowest.

12. Suppose you are playing euchre, as it is commonly played
around here, with 4 people in the game, and *clubs* are trump.
List *all* the trump cards, in order from highest to lowest.
You may use either standard card terminology or euchre
terminology to express the sequence.

* American Football Leagues

13. Name the football league (full name, not initials) whose
proposed Toronto team turned into the Memphis Southmen, and
which also included the Chicago Fire, the Detroit Wheels, and
the Hawaiians. *In addition*, tell us *one* of the years that
the league operated.

14. And then there was the league which at one time or another
included the Chicago Blitz, the Denver Gold, the Memphis
Showboats, and the Oklahoma Outlaws. Again, name the league
*and* tell us one of the years when it operated.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<sclpp8$nt9$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3129&group=rec.games.trivia#3129

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 04:39:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 04:39 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography

> * Long Bridges and Tunnels

> 3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
> tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
> one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
> islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
> *both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

Channel Tunnel

> * Mediterranean Islands

> 4. On what island is Valletta?

Malta

> 5. On what island is Cagliari?

Sardinia

> 6. On what island is Palma?

Capri; Sicily

> * Rivers of Eastern Europe

> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

Romania

> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

Don

> 9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
> flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
> Sea near Gdansk.

Vistula

> * Names of World Landmarks

> 10. In London, England, the little statue in Piccadilly Circus is
> commonly known as Eros. But this is nothing to do with its
> actual name, which is what?

Cupid

> 11. Everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor,
> but that's only the first part of its name. What are the other
> three words?

Enlightening the World

> 12. And what's the proper name of that 600-foot stainless-steel
> weighted-catenary arch in St. Louis?

Gateway to the West

> * Official Languages

> 13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
> languages of Switzerland?

Italian and Romansch

> 14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
> of Finland?

Swedish

> 15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

Arabic and French

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure

> * The Original Olympics

> 1. Name either one of the two ancient Greek cities that were the
> patrons of the Olympic games from 572 BC onwards. Hint:
> Olympia itself was not one of them.

Athens

> 3. Most competitions were track and field events, but at the 25th
> Olympiad a crowd-pleasing event that usually attracted only
> wealthy contestants was added. What?

horse racing

> * British Soccer

> 6. Name any one of the """three""" teams that would be relegated
> from the English Premier League if the season ended """today""".

Leicester City

> * Sequences in Games

> 11. Give us a list of *all* the hands in standard poker that fall
> in between a straight flush and one pair in value. (This means
> the usual short descriptions, like "straight flush".) List them
> in order from highest to lowest.

four of a kind
full house
flush
straight
three of a kind
two pairs

> * American Football Leagues

> 15. Please complete the rest of the round before decoding the rot13
> for this question. Nf sne nf jr xabj, gurer """unf""" bayl
> rire orra bar Nzrevpna sbbgonyy yrnthr anzrq gur Jbeyq Sbbgonyy
> Yrnthr naq bar anzrq gur Havgrq Fgngrf Sbbgonyy Yrnthr. Ohg ubj
> znal *qvssrerag* eviny znwbe yrnthrf *rnpu anzrq gur Nzrevpna
> Sbbgonyy Yrnthr* unf gur ASY snprq """fb sne""" va vgf rkvfgrapr?

4; 3

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<XnsAD67ECAECF30AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3130&group=rec.games.trivia#3130

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 23:16:00 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 21:16 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Long Bridges and Tunnels
>
> 2. There """is""" a second suspension bridge under construction,
> in a different part of the world, whose main span of just
> under a mile is also longer than that of the Humber Bridge.
> It has missed its chance to hold the record, since it """will
> not be completed until June""". This one will complete a road
> route paralleling an existing railway link that uses a tunnel.
> Again, if you *name the bridge* that's a sufficient answer.
>
> *Alternatively, you can name the country or countries*
> (as the case may be) at each end of it. That is, if it is an
> international bridge you must name *both* countries it connects;
> if not, you must name the *one* country where it is located.
>
> (Note: If you name two countries please make it clear whether
> you think the bridge is in one country and you're guessing
> twice, or if you think it's an international bridge and you're
> answering once.)

Honshu and Hokkaido
> 3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
> tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
> one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
> islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
> *both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

Honshu and Hokkaido

> * Mediterranean Islands
>
> 4. On what island is Valletta?

Malta

> 5. On what island is Cagliari?

Sardinia

> 6. On what island is Palma?

Majorca
> * Rivers of Eastern Europe
>
> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

Romania
> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

Dnipro (That is the Ukranian spelling.)
> 9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
> flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
> Sea near Gdansk.

Wisla
> * Official Languages
>
> 13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
> languages of Switzerland?

Italian and Romansch
> 14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
> of Finland?

Swedish. (And which is the only language which is official in all
of Finland!)
> 15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

French and Arabic

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure
>
> * British Soccer
>
> 4. In the early 1960s, the fans of the Liverpool soccer club
> adopted a then-popular song as an anthem to sing at their games.
> Name the song.

You Never Walk Alone
> 11. Give us a list of *all* the hands in standard poker that fall
> in between a straight flush and one pair in value. (This means
> the usual short descriptions, like "straight flush".) List them
> in order from highest to lowest.

Four of a kind
Full hand
Flush
Straigt
Three of a kind
Two pairs

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<XnsAD67E933E3747gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3131&group=rec.games.trivia#3131

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 03:55:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 03:55 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1rudnZSthvBl_HP9nZ2dnUU7-
YvNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana
>
> * Toronto Subway Numbers
>
> 13. Within 50 feet or 15 meters, how long is a standard subway
> platform in Toronto?

375 feet; 476 feet

> 14. Within 50 volts, what nominal voltage """is""" on the third
> rail, and """is""" it AC or DC? It """is""" the same as on
> the overhead wires for streetcars.

200 volts AC; 200 volts DC
> 15. The gauge of a railway track measures the distance between the
> rails. Within � inch or 20 mm, how much *wider than standard
> gauge* are subway tracks in Toronto? Again, the answer for
> streetcars is the same.

6 inches; 4.5 inches
> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> * Mediterranean Islands
>
> 4. On what island is Valletta?

Malta

> 5. On what island is Cagliari?

Sicily

> 6. On what island is Palma?

Mallorca

> * Rivers of Eastern Europe
>
> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

Romania
> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

Ob

> * Names of World Landmarks
>
> 11. Everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor,
> but that's only the first part of its name. What are the other
> three words?

Enlightening the World

> 12. And what's the proper name of that 600-foot stainless-steel
> weighted-catenary arch in St. Louis?

Jefferson National Exploration Monument; Gateway Arch
> * Official Languages
>
> 13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
> languages of Switzerland?

Italian and Romansh
> 14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
> of Finland?

Swedish

> 15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

Arabic and French
> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure
>
> * The Original Olympics
>
> 3. Most competitions were track and field events, but at the 25th
> Olympiad a crowd-pleasing event that usually attracted only
> wealthy contestants was added. What?

chariot racing
> * British Soccer
>
> 4. In the early 1960s, the fans of the Liverpool soccer club
> adopted a then-popular song as an anthem to sing at their games.
> Name the song.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"
> 5. In what year, within 1, were about half the players on the
> Manchester United team killed in a plane crash?

1961

> * Sequences in Games
>
> 11. Give us a list of *all* the hands in standard poker that fall
> in between a straight flush and one pair in value. (This means
> the usual short descriptions, like "straight flush".) List them
> in order from highest to lowest.

four of a kind, flush, straight, full house, three of a kind, two pair;
four of a kind, straight, flush, full house, three of a kind, two pair

> * American Football Leagues
>
> 13. Name the football league (full name, not initials) whose
> proposed Toronto team turned into the Memphis Southmen, and
> which also included the Chicago Fire, the Detroit Wheels, and
> the Hawaiians. *In addition*, tell us *one* of the years that
> the league operated.

World Football League, 1974
> 14. And then there was the league which at one time or another
> included the Chicago Blitz, the Denver Gold, the Memphis
> Showboats, and the Oklahoma Outlaws. Again, name the league
> *and* tell us one of the years when it operated.

United States Football League, 1983

> 15. Please complete the rest of the round before decoding the rot13
> for this question. Nf sne nf jr xabj, gurer """unf""" bayl
> rire orra bar Nzrevpna sbbgonyy yrnthr anzrq gur Jbeyq Sbbgonyy
> Yrnthr naq bar anzrq gur Havgrq Fgngrf Sbbgonyy Yrnthr. Ohg ubj
> znal *qvssrerag* eviny znwbe yrnthrf *rnpu anzrq gur Nzrevpna
> Sbbgonyy Yrnthr* unf gur ASY snprq """fb sne""" va vgf rkvfgrapr?

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<scobnj$dnl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3132&group=rec.games.trivia#3132

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography,
sports/leisure
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 20:57:38 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 03:57 UTC

On 7/13/21 9:03 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana
>
> By the way, this was the hardest round for the players in the original
> game, so now you have warning of what it's going to be like here!
>
> * Canadian magazine editors
>
> We'll name a Canadian magazine, you tell us the name of its editor.
>
> 1. "Frank" (Central Canada version).
> 2. "Report on Business".
> 3. "Maclean's".
>

> * Ontario Canoe Routes
>
> 4. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes OSA Lake, Artist Lake, and George Lake?
>
> 5. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes Timberwolf Lake, McIntosh Lake, and Big Trout Lake?
>
> 6. In what Ontario township """can""" you follow a canoe route
> that includes Diamond Lake, Sharp Rock Inlet, and Lady Evelyn
> Lake?
>

> * Geographical Extremes
>
> If the answer is on a small island, the name of the island suffices.
> Otherwise name the *specific* cape or similar landform in each case.
>
> 7. What is the easternmost point of land in Canada?
> 8. What is the southernmost point of land in Canada?

Pelee Island

> [...]
> answering once.)
>
> 3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
> tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
> one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
> islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
> *both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

Channel Tunnel

> * Mediterranean Islands
>
> 4. On what island is Valletta?
> 5. On what island is Cagliari?
> 6. On what island is Palma?
>

> * Rivers of Eastern Europe
>
> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

Romania

> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

Dnieper

> 9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
> flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
> Sea near Gdansk.

Oder

> * Names of World Landmarks
>
> 10. In London, England, the little statue in Piccadilly Circus is
> commonly known as Eros. But this is nothing to do with its
> actual name, which is what?
>
> 11. Everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor,
> but that's only the first part of its name. What are the other
> three words?

Enlightening the World

> 12. And what's the proper name of that 600-foot stainless-steel
> weighted-catenary arch in St. Louis?

Gateway to the West

> * Official Languages
>
> 13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
> languages of Switzerland?

Italian, Romansch

> 14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
> of Finland?

Sami

> 15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

Arabic, French

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure
>
> * The Original Olympics
>
> 1. Name either one of the two ancient Greek cities that were the
> patrons of the Olympic games from 572 BC onwards. Hint:
> Olympia itself was not one of them.

Sparta

> 2. Name *any three* of the five events that made up the pentathlon
> at the ancient Olympics.

stadion, javelin throw, discus

> 3. Most competitions were track and field events, but at the 25th
> Olympiad a crowd-pleasing event that usually attracted only
> wealthy contestants was added. What?

chariot racing

> * British Soccer
>
> 4. In the early 1960s, the fans of the Liverpool soccer club
> adopted a then-popular song as an anthem to sing at their games.
> Name the song.
>
> 5. In what year, within 1, were about half the players on the
> Manchester United team killed in a plane crash?
>
> 6. Name any one of the """three""" teams that would be relegated
> from the English Premier League if the season ended """today""".
>

> * Formula 1 Racing
>
> 7. The cars of the three top teams -- McLaren, Ferrari, and
> Williams -- in """this year"""'s Formula 1 races all carry ads
> for cigarette companies, but curiously none of the three brands
> is available domestically in Canada. (You can buy them as
> imports.) Marlboro is one brand; name either of the other two.

Winston

> 8. Michael Schumacher """is""" Ferrari's top driver. Who """is"""
> the Ferrari team's second driver?
>
> 9. Who is Jacques Villeneuve's teammate """at""" Williams?
>

> * Sequences in Games
>
> 10. In snooker, as everyone knows, each red ball is worth 1 point.
> Give us a list of *all six* so-called colored balls in order
> of value from 2 points upward. (Point scores not required.)
>
> 11. Give us a list of *all* the hands in standard poker that fall
> in between a straight flush and one pair in value. (This means
> the usual short descriptions, like "straight flush".) List them
> in order from highest to lowest.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<867b126d-c602-4835-b164-233930dedeadn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3133&group=rec.games.trivia#3133

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 21:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 04:01 UTC

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:03:10 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I think I wrote 3 triples in the Canadiana round, part or all of
> the geography round, and 2 triples in the sports round.
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana
>
> By the way, this was the hardest round for the players in the original
> game, so now you have warning of what it's going to be like here!

oh, joy

> * Canadian magazine editors
>
> We'll name a Canadian magazine, you tell us the name of its editor.
>
> 1. "Frank" (Central Canada version)

no one (defunct) ; johnson

> 2. "Report on Business".

no one (defunct) ; johnson

> 3. "Maclean's".

no one (defunct) ; johnson

> * Ontario Canoe Routes
>
> 4. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes OSA Lake, Artist Lake, and George Lake?

killarney provincial park

> 5. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes Timberwolf Lake, McIntosh Lake, and Big Trout Lake?

algonquin provincial park

> 6. In what Ontario township """can""" you follow a canoe route
> that includes Diamond Lake, Sharp Rock Inlet, and Lady Evelyn
> Lake?

temagami

> * Geographical Extremes
>
> If the answer is on a small island, the name of the island suffices.
> Otherwise name the *specific* cape or similar landform in each case.
>
> 7. What is the easternmost point of land in Canada?

cape spear

> 8. What is the southernmost point of land in Canada?

middle island, ontario

> 9. What is the northernmost point of land in Canada?

cape columbia, ellesmere island

> * Toronto's Lost Villages
>
> The reference for this triple is the book "Toronto's Lost Villages"
> by Ron Brown.
>
> 10. Along Yonge St. between York Mills and Steele's Corners, there
> were at one time or another three other villages, at least
> two of whose names are still familiar today as districts.
> Name *any two* of the three.

braderville, summittown

> 11. Similarly, along Yonge St. between Yorkville and York Mills
> were four other villages, at least two of those names are still
> familiar today. Name *any two* of the four.

braderville, summittown

> 12. Along Kingston Rd. between York and the Scarborough Post Office
> were three other villages, one with the name of a country and
> one that one of our main streets is named for today. Name *any
> one* of the three.

braderville, summittown

> * Toronto Subway Numbers
>
> 13. Within 50 feet or 15 meters, how long is a standard subway
> platform in Toronto?

150 meters

> 14. Within 50 volts, what nominal voltage """is""" on the third
> rail, and """is""" it AC or DC? It """is""" the same as on
> the overhead wires for streetcars.

600 volts dc

> 15. The gauge of a railway track measures the distance between the
> rails. Within ž inch or 20 mm, how much *wider than standard
> gauge* are subway tracks in Toronto? Again, the answer for
> streetcars is the same.

50 mm

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Warning: some answers may repeat.
>
> * Long Bridges and Tunnels
>
> 1. You may recall that """last season""" the world's record for
> longest main span in a suspension bridge was held by the Humber
> Bridge, in England. """Two weeks ago""" this was beaten by
> more than 40% when a new bridge, with a main span of nearly
> 2 km, opened on schedule. The bridge connects two islands,
> one much larger than the others. *Either* name that larger
> island; *or else* the large city nearest to the bridge (it's
> on that island); *or else* the bridge itself.

honshu japan

> 2. There """is""" a second suspension bridge under construction,
> in a different part of the world, whose main span of just
> under a mile is also longer than that of the Humber Bridge.
> It has missed its chance to hold the record, since it """will
> not be completed until June""". This one will complete a road
> route paralleling an existing railway link that uses a tunnel.
> Again, if you *name the bridge* that's a sufficient answer.
>
> *Alternatively, you can name the country or countries*
> (as the case may be) at each end of it. That is, if it is an
> international bridge you must name *both* countries it connects;
> if not, you must name the *one* country where it is located.
>
> (Note: If you name two countries please make it clear whether
> you think the bridge is in one country and you're guessing
> twice, or if you think it's an international bridge and you're
> answering once.)

great belt bridge in denmark

> 3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
> tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
> one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
> islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
> *both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

gotthard tunnel (the jokes just write themselves on this one) in switzerland

> * Mediterranean Islands
>
> 4. On what island is Valletta?

malta

> 5. On what island is Cagliari?

sardinia

> 6. On what island is Palma?

majorca (aka mallorca)

> * Rivers of Eastern Europe
>
> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

romania

> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

dneiper

> 9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
> flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
> Sea near Gdansk.

wisla

> * Names of World Landmarks
>
> 10. In London, England, the little statue in Piccadilly Circus is
> commonly known as Eros. But this is nothing to do with its
> actual name, which is what?

anteros

> 11. Everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor,
> but that's only the first part of its name. What are the other
> three words?

enlightening the world

> 12. And what's the proper name of that 600-foot stainless-steel
> weighted-catenary arch in St. Louis?

gateway arch

> * Official Languages
>
> 13. German and French are easy; what are the other two official
> languages of Switzerland?

italian, romanian

> 14. Finnish is obvious; what is the second official language
> of Finland?

swedish

> 15. Name *both* official languages of Lebanon.

french and hebrew

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports & Leisure
>
> * The Original Olympics
>
> 1. Name either one of the two ancient Greek cities that were the
> patrons of the Olympic games from 572 BC onwards. Hint:
> Olympia itself was not one of them.

sparta

> 2. Name *any three* of the five events that made up the pentathlon
> at the ancient Olympics.

discus, javelin, running

> 3. Most competitions were track and field events, but at the 25th
> Olympiad a crowd-pleasing event that usually attracted only
> wealthy contestants was added. What?

chariot races

> * British Soccer
>
> 4. In the early 1960s, the fans of the Liverpool soccer club
> adopted a then-popular song as an anthem to sing at their games.
> Name the song.

never walk alone

> 5. In what year, within 1, were about half the players on the
> Manchester United team killed in a plane crash?

1958

> 6. Name any one of the """three""" teams that would be relegated
> from the English Premier League if the season ended """today""".

Click here to read the complete article
RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<icGdnXtmAMtywm_9nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3134&group=rec.games.trivia#3134

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 23:43:27 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 04:43 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I think I wrote 3 triples in the Canadiana round, part or all of
> the geography round, and 2 triples in the sports round.

In Canadiana, I wrote questions #10-15 and probably also questions
#7-9. In geography, questions #1-3 and #10-14 were definitely
mine, and I think #4; I'm not sure which if any the others I may
have contributed. In sports, I wrote questions #10-15.

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana

> By the way, this was the hardest round for the players in the original
> game, so now you have warning of what it's going to be like here!

And it was, unless you were Stephen!

> * Canadian magazine editors

> We'll name a Canadian magazine, you tell us the name of its editor.

> 1. "Frank" (Central Canada version).

1998 answer: Michael Bate. No 2021 answer; it's defunct. Oh,
but I guess that means I have to accept "no one (defunct)"! So,
3 for Stephen.

> 2. "Report on Business".

1998 answer: Patricia Best. 2021 answer: Dennis Choquette.

This one isn't really a magazine, it's part of the "Globe & Mail".

> 3. "Maclean's".

1998 answer: Robert Lewis. 2021 answer: Alison Uncles.

> * Ontario Canoe Routes

(These are all still true.)

> 4. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes OSA Lake, Artist Lake, and George Lake?

Killarney Provincial Park. 4 for Stephen.

OSA Lake is named after the Ontario Society of Artists.

> 5. In what Ontario park """can""" you follow a canoe route that
> includes Timberwolf Lake, McIntosh Lake, and Big Trout Lake?

Algonquin Provincial Park. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. In what Ontario township """can""" you follow a canoe route
> that includes Diamond Lake, Sharp Rock Inlet, and Lady Evelyn
> Lake?

Temagami. 4 for Stephen.

> * Geographical Extremes

> If the answer is on a small island, the name of the island suffices.
> Otherwise name the *specific* cape or similar landform in each case.

> 7. What is the easternmost point of land in Canada?

Cape Spear, on the island of Newfoundland in Newfoundland & Labrador.
4 for Stephen.

Incidentally, this question was reused in a game one day after
I posted it here in 2009. In our game it went to our opponents;
the individual it went to didn't know it for the 2 points, but a
teammate got it for 1.

> 8. What is the southernmost point of land in Canada?

Middle Island, in Ontario. 4 for Stephen.

It's in Lake Erie, near Pelee Island -- nearby Point Pelee is the
southernmost mainland point.

> 9. What is the northernmost point of land in Canada?

Cape Columbia, on Ellesmere I., in the Northwest Territories in 1998
and now in Nunavut. 4 for Stephen.

> * Toronto's Lost Villages

> The reference for this triple is the book "Toronto's Lost Villages"
> by Ron Brown.

> 10. Along Yonge St. between York Mills and Steele's Corners, there
> were at one time or another three other villages, at least
> two of whose names are still familiar today as districts.
> Name *any two* of the three.

Lansing, Newtonbrook, Willowdale.

> 11. Similarly, along Yonge St. between Yorkville and York Mills
> were four other villages, at least two of those names are still
> familiar today. Name *any two* of the four.

Bedford Park, Davisville, Drummondville, Eglington (sic, but the
modern street name Eglinton -- also the original Scottish spelling --
was acceptable).

> 12. Along Kingston Rd. between York and the Scarborough Post Office
> were three other villages, one with the name of a country and
> one that one of our main streets is named for today. Name *any
> one* of the three.

Leslieville (Leslie, the street name, was sufficient), Mortlake,
Norway.

> * Toronto Subway Numbers

> 13. Within 50 feet or 15 meters, how long is a standard subway
> platform in Toronto?

500 feet (accepting 450-550) or 152.4 m (137-168). 4 for Stephen.
2 for Joshua.

> 14. Within 50 volts, what nominal voltage """is""" on the third
> rail, and """is""" it AC or DC? It """is""" the same as on
> the overhead wires for streetcars.

600 V (accepting 550-650) DC. (Still true.) 4 for Stephen.

> 15. The gauge of a railway track measures the distance between the
> rails. Within ¾ inch or 20 mm, how much *wider than standard
> gauge* are subway tracks in Toronto? Again, the answer for
> streetcars is the same.

2+3/8 inches (accepting 1+5/8 to 3+1/8) or 60 mm (40-80).
4 for Stephen.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography

> Warning: some answers may repeat.

> * Long Bridges and Tunnels

> 1. You may recall that """last season""" the world's record for
> longest main span in a suspension bridge was held by the Humber
> Bridge, in England. """Two weeks ago""" this was beaten by
> more than 40% when a new bridge, with a main span of nearly
> 2 km, opened on schedule. The bridge connects two islands,
> one much larger than the others. *Either* name that larger
> island; *or else* the large city nearest to the bridge (it's
> on that island); *or else* the bridge itself.

Honshu, Kobe, Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge. (Japan, of course. Still true.)
4 for Stephen.

Still true for now, that is. A longer one of just over 2 km to cross
the Dardanelles from Asia to Europe in Turkey is scheduled to open
in March 2022.

> 2. There """is""" a second suspension bridge under construction,
> in a different part of the world, whose main span of just
> under a mile is also longer than that of the Humber Bridge.
> It has missed its chance to hold the record, since it """will
> not be completed until June""". This one will complete a road
> route paralleling an existing railway link that uses a tunnel.
> Again, if you *name the bridge* that's a sufficient answer.

> *Alternatively, you can name the country or countries*
> (as the case may be) at each end of it. That is, if it is an
> international bridge you must name *both* countries it connects;
> if not, you must name the *one* country where it is located.

> (Note: If you name two countries please make it clear whether
> you think the bridge is in one country and you're guessing
> twice, or if you think it's an international bridge and you're
> answering once.)

Storebælt East Bridge (anything with Storebælt or Great Belt was
sufficient); Denmark. 4 for Stephen.

Although forming part of the country's road link to Sweden, the
bridge is within Denmark. It opened on schedule.

> 3. The world's longest railway tunnel """is""" an undersea
> tunnel and is also newer than the Humber Bridge. For this
> one we expect you to have heard of the land masses (that is,
> islands or continents) at each end of it, so you have to name
> *both* of them -- *or* just name the tunnel.

1998 answer: Honshu, Hokkaido; Seikan Tunnel. 2021 answer: Europe,
Europe; Gotthard Base Tunnel (not undersea but in the Swiss Alps).
4 for Erland. 3 for Stephen.

The Gotthard Tunnel is the summit tunnel on the *old* Gotthard Pass
route -- it was the world's longest railway tunnel itself from 1882
until 1906 -- but I accepted it as "almost correct" for the Gotthard
Base Tunnel. Here's what the portals of the two Gotthard rail tunnels
look like:

http://files.structurae.net/files/photos/2546/ffs-sangottardonp-cimg5523.jpg
http://cdn.openphoto.net/volumes/sizes/stg/33025/2.jpg

The Channel Tunnel, connecting Europe and Great Britain, ranked #2
when it opened and is now #3.

> * Mediterranean Islands

> 4. On what island is Valletta?

Malta. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. On what island is Cagliari?

Sardinia (Sardegna). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Stephen.

> 6. On what island is Palma?

Majorca (Mallorca). 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> * Rivers of Eastern Europe

> 7. The Danube starts in Germany and exits into the Black Sea via
> a large swampy delta, located principally in what country?

Romania. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 8. Ukraine's principal river starts in Russia west of Moscow,
> flows by Kiev, and exits into the Black Sea. Name it.

Dneiper. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 9. Name the Polish river that starts near the border with Slovakia,
> flows by Krakow and through Warsaw, and exits into the Baltic
> Sea near Gdansk.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<XnsAD6A64ECA3803Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3136&group=rec.games.trivia#3136

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 09:55:16 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 07:55 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Storebælt East Bridge (anything with Storebælt or Great Belt was
> sufficient); Denmark. 4 for Stephen.
>
> Although forming part of the country's road link to Sweden, the
> bridge is within Denmark. It opened on schedule.

Storebælt is entirely in Denmark. The campaign in 1660 did not really
turn out as Karl X Gustav intended, so Sjælland remained Danish. (One
of the complications was that he himself caught a fever and died.)

You may be thinking of Øresund which is the strait between Sweden and
Denmark. This link is a bridge + tunnel. If I remember correctly, the tunnel
is entirely on the Danish side, whereas the bridge starts in Sweden before
descending into the tunnel.

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<xb-dnYNIu4AF2G79nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3140&group=rec.games.trivia#3140

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:03:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > Storebælt East Bridge...
> > Although forming part of the country's road link to Sweden, the
> > bridge is within Denmark.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Storebælt is entirely in Denmark... You may be thinking of Øresund
> which is the strait between Sweden and Denmark...

Yes, that's what I said, only I didn't get specific about the Øresund
part of the link.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You know you've made it when you have
msb@vex.net | a disease named after you." --Andrew Niccol

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<XnsAD6AF189732ECYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3141&group=rec.games.trivia#3141

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 23:44:38 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > Storebælt East Bridge...
>> > Although forming part of the country's road link to Sweden, the
>> > bridge is within Denmark.
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Storebælt is entirely in Denmark... You may be thinking of Øresund
>> which is the strait between Sweden and Denmark...
>
> Yes, that's what I said, only I didn't get specific about the Øresund
> part of the link.

I have a strong suspicion that the Danes would object to the description
of the bridge being part of a road link to Sweden - I think they mainly
see it as a connection between Sjælland and Fyn. Had you said "Sweden's
connection to the continent", it would have been somewhat different,
although we are only piggy-backing on what they built for their own
interest.

It's slightly different with the planned connection over Femehrn Belt.
This connection is certainly just as much of interest to Swedes as it is
to Denmark and Germany, as this is a lot shorter route than going over
Fyn and Jutland.

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 4,6,7 answers: Canadiana, geography, sports/leisure

<pdCdnbxgqfCky279nZ2dnUU7-LHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3142&group=rec.games.trivia#3142

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:14:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 22:14 UTC

Mark Brader:

Erland Sommarskog:
> I have a strong suspicion that the Danes would object to the description
> of the bridge being part of a road link to Sweden...

If so, that's their problem.
--
Mark Brader | "I do not think about things that I do not think about."
Toronto | "Do you ever think about things that you *do* think about?"