Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10 answers: literature, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge roundDan Tilque
`- RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10 answers: literature, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<7PGdnc_P2qAS_W_9nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3135&group=rec.games.trivia#3135

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 23:46:07 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 04:46 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20, and
should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I think I wrote one question in the literature round, and one
triple in the challenge round.

** Final, Round 8 - Literature

* Unofficial Anthems

We will read two lines of a patriotic or idealistic national song.
You continue the lyric for another two lines or until you get to the
word that rhymes (or sort-of-rhymes) with the one where we left off.

1. "The Maple Leaf Forever":

In days of yore, from Britain's shore
Wolfe the dauntless hero came

2. "America the Beautiful":

O beautiful for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain;

3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":

And did those feet in ancient times
Walk upon England's mountains green?

* """Modern""" Pundits

We give the names of three books; you name the author. All were
published in the 1990s.

4. "The End of Racism: Principles for a Multiracial Society";
"Illiberal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus";
"Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary
Leader".

5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
"Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
the Material World" (co-author).

6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
American Culture".

* Early Giants of the European Novel

7. Alessandro Manzoni was the father of the modern Italian novel,
and a story he published in 1827 has been called the greatest
Italian novel of modern times. It tells of two peasants who
try to marry in spite of the opposition of the local landowner.
Name the novel, in either Italian or English.

8. Aleksandr Pushkin, the founder of modern Russian literature,
published a verse novel in 1833 about a bored aristocrat who
moves to the countryside, rejects the love of a woman named
Tatyana, and years later suffers when Tatyana, now married
to a great nobleman, in turn rejects him. Name it, in either
Russian (in our alphabet, please; no Cyrillic) or English.

9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
or English.

* Classics of Philosophy

10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
Investigations"?

11. What is Immanuel Kant's masterwork, in which he attempts to
describe the categories of thought that we use to understand
the world, and divides the world into things-in-themselves and
things-as-we-perceive-them? Please give the title in English.

12. What is the title (in English) of Plato's investigation into
the nature of love, in which he discusses the charming notion
that men and women were once the joined halves of single
bisexual beings?

* Science Fiction And

The following authors write, or wrote, both science fiction and other
genres of fiction. Here we will concentrate on those other genres.
In each case name the author.

13. SF and mainstream literature. Though she's best known for her
SF and fantasy, she """is""" a prolific author of mainstream
literary fiction. Her stories have appeared in the "New Yorker",
"Harper's", and other literary magazines; they are collected
in such books as "Searoad" (1991) and "Unlocking the Air and
Other Stories" (1996).

14. SF and period fiction. This writer, best known for his SF
and science writing, wrote a novel called "Glide Path" in 1963,
based on his experiences when involved with the development of
radar-guided descent of aircraft in World War II.

15. SF and mainstream literature. This prolific Scottish writer
"""publishes""" SF and literary fiction alternately. Some of
his mainstream titles are "The Wasp Factory", "Complicity",
and in 1997, "Song of Stone". His SF stories often deal with
a galactic civilization called the Culture.

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Famous Australians

In what field of endeavor did the following Australians achieve fame?

A1. Billy Hughes.
A2. Albert Namatjira.
A3. Stevie Wright.

* B. Home Improvement

From "The Modern Woman's Guide to Home Repair" and "The Complete
Idiot's Guide to Trouble-Free Home Repair", we bring you the
following.

B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
orbital, and belt?

B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

* C. Triples

Name the third member of each set.

C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...
C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...
C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

* D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life

Dean Martin once said of Frank Sinatra: "When he dies, they are
giving his zipper to the Smithsonian Institute." These questions
are about some of the people who formed part of Frank's frankly
public pubic life.

D1. Frank started dating this woman in 1958, one year after her
husband had died from cancer. Days after asking her to
marry him, he dumped her by demanding she leave a New Year's
party she was hosting at her own home. Name her.

D2. Name the woman who complained that Frank always wanted to
sing to her before sex, and who is best remembered for her
role opposite Sean Connery as James Bond.

D3. Frank's first wife was his high-school sweetheart.
Given that she's usually remembered by the last name
Sinatra, all we'll ask you for is her first name.

* E. Trivia

How trivial can you get? It's current events of 1998 in trivia!
This triple asked about three of the league's secondary prizes, whose
winners had been announced at the start of the Final. Teams playing
in the Final are not eligible. *Note*: Since play was interrupted
during the first season of 2020, if giving the present-day answer
you should answer for the last season of 2019.

E1. Which team won the Stinker prize """this season"""?
E2. Which team won the Canadiana prize """this season"""?
E3. Which team won the Protest prize """this season"""?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.
msb@vex.net | We use rocks." -- David Keldsen

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<XnsAD6A662A5421BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3137&group=rec.games.trivia#3137

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:02:35 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:02 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature
>
> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":
>
> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy lamb of God
In England's pleasant pastures seen

(Thank you, ELP!)

> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.
The Sorrowful Life of Young Werther

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Famous Australians
> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

power outletes
> * C. Triples
>
> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Shiva

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<scv928$nu8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3138&group=rec.games.trivia#3138

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:55:06 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 18:55 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I think I wrote one question in the literature round, and one
> triple in the challenge round.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature
>
> * Unofficial Anthems
>
> We will read two lines of a patriotic or idealistic national song.
> You continue the lyric for another two lines or until you get to the
> word that rhymes (or sort-of-rhymes) with the one where we left off.
>
> 1. "The Maple Leaf Forever":
>
> In days of yore, from Britain's shore
> Wolfe the dauntless hero came
>
> 2. "America the Beautiful":
>
> O beautiful for spacious skies
> For amber waves of grain;

For purple mountains majesty
Above the fruited plain.

> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":
>
> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England's verdant pastures seen?

> * """Modern""" Pundits
>
> We give the names of three books; you name the author. All were
> published in the 1990s.
>
> 4. "The End of Racism: Principles for a Multiracial Society";
> "Illiberal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus";
> "Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary
> Leader".
>
> 5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
> "Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
> the Material World" (co-author).
>
> 6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
> Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
> American Culture".
>

> * Early Giants of the European Novel
>
> 7. Alessandro Manzoni was the father of the modern Italian novel,
> and a story he published in 1827 has been called the greatest
> Italian novel of modern times. It tells of two peasants who
> try to marry in spite of the opposition of the local landowner.
> Name the novel, in either Italian or English.
>
> 8. Aleksandr Pushkin, the founder of modern Russian literature,
> published a verse novel in 1833 about a bored aristocrat who
> moves to the countryside, rejects the love of a woman named
> Tatyana, and years later suffers when Tatyana, now married
> to a great nobleman, in turn rejects him. Name it, in either
> Russian (in our alphabet, please; no Cyrillic) or English. >
> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.

Faust

> * Classics of Philosophy
>
> 10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
> 1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
> Investigations"?
>
> 11. What is Immanuel Kant's masterwork, in which he attempts to
> describe the categories of thought that we use to understand
> the world, and divides the world into things-in-themselves and
> things-as-we-perceive-them? Please give the title in English.
>
> 12. What is the title (in English) of Plato's investigation into
> the nature of love, in which he discusses the charming notion
> that men and women were once the joined halves of single
> bisexual beings?
>

> * Science Fiction And
>
> The following authors write, or wrote, both science fiction and other
> genres of fiction. Here we will concentrate on those other genres.
> In each case name the author.
>
> 13. SF and mainstream literature. Though she's best known for her
> SF and fantasy, she """is""" a prolific author of mainstream
> literary fiction. Her stories have appeared in the "New Yorker",
> "Harper's", and other literary magazines; they are collected
> in such books as "Searoad" (1991) and "Unlocking the Air and
> Other Stories" (1996).

LeGuin

> 14. SF and period fiction. This writer, best known for his SF
> and science writing, wrote a novel called "Glide Path" in 1963,
> based on his experiences when involved with the development of
> radar-guided descent of aircraft in World War II.

Vonnegut

> 15. SF and mainstream literature. This prolific Scottish writer
> """publishes""" SF and literary fiction alternately. Some of
> his mainstream titles are "The Wasp Factory", "Complicity",
> and in 1997, "Song of Stone". His SF stories often deal with
> a galactic civilization called the Culture.
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Australians
>
> In what field of endeavor did the following Australians achieve fame?
>
> A1. Billy Hughes.

Cricket; Rugby

> A2. Albert Namatjira.

Rugby; Cricket

> A3. Stevie Wright.

Cricket; Rugby

> * B. Home Improvement
>
> From "The Modern Woman's Guide to Home Repair" and "The Complete
> Idiot's Guide to Trouble-Free Home Repair", we bring you the
> following.
>
> B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
> orbital, and belt?

Sanders

> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

Light switches

> B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
> types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
> their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

Nails

> * C. Triples
>
> Name the third member of each set.
>
> C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...

Meeshach

> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Rama

> C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

Aramis

> * D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life
>
> Dean Martin once said of Frank Sinatra: "When he dies, they are
> giving his zipper to the Smithsonian Institute." These questions
> are about some of the people who formed part of Frank's frankly
> public pubic life.
>
> D1. Frank started dating this woman in 1958, one year after her
> husband had died from cancer. Days after asking her to
> marry him, he dumped her by demanding she leave a New Year's
> party she was hosting at her own home. Name her.

Ava Gardner

> D2. Name the woman who complained that Frank always wanted to
> sing to her before sex, and who is best remembered for her
> role opposite Sean Connery as James Bond.

St John

> D3. Frank's first wife was his high-school sweetheart.
> Given that she's usually remembered by the last name
> Sinatra, all we'll ask you for is her first name.
>

> * E. Trivia
>
> How trivial can you get? It's current events of 1998 in trivia!
> This triple asked about three of the league's secondary prizes, whose
> winners had been announced at the start of the Final. Teams playing
> in the Final are not eligible. *Note*: Since play was interrupted
> during the first season of 2020, if giving the present-day answer
> you should answer for the last season of 2019.
>
> E1. Which team won the Stinker prize """this season"""?
> E2. Which team won the Canadiana prize """this season"""?

Team SWP

> E3. Which team won the Protest prize """this season"""?

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<XnsAD6A988F6A9CAgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3139&group=rec.games.trivia#3139

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:59:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:59 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7PGdnc_P2qAS_W_9nZ2dnUU7-
cnNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature
>
> * Unofficial Anthems
>
> We will read two lines of a patriotic or idealistic national song.
> You continue the lyric for another two lines or until you get to the
> word that rhymes (or sort-of-rhymes) with the one where we left off.
>
> 2. "America the Beautiful":
>
> O beautiful for spacious skies
> For amber waves of grain;

For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain

> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":
>
> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy lamb of God
On England's something something seen
> * """Modern""" Pundits
>
> We give the names of three books; you name the author. All were
> published in the 1990s.
>
> 4. "The End of Racism: Principles for a Multiracial Society";
> "Illiberal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus";
> "Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary
> Leader".

D'Souza
> 5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
> "Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
> the Material World" (co-author).

Wolf

> 6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
> Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
> American Culture".

Paglia
> * Early Giants of the European Novel
>
> 8. Aleksandr Pushkin, the founder of modern Russian literature,
> published a verse novel in 1833 about a bored aristocrat who
> moves to the countryside, rejects the love of a woman named
> Tatyana, and years later suffers when Tatyana, now married
> to a great nobleman, in turn rejects him. Name it, in either
> Russian (in our alphabet, please; no Cyrillic) or English.

"Eugene Onegin"

> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.

"The Sorrows of Young Werther"
> * Classics of Philosophy
>
> 10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
> 1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
> Investigations"?

Russell

> 12. What is the title (in English) of Plato's investigation into
> the nature of love, in which he discusses the charming notion
> that men and women were once the joined halves of single
> bisexual beings?

Phaedo

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Australians
>
> In what field of endeavor did the following Australians achieve fame?
>
> A1. Billy Hughes.

aviation

> * B. Home Improvement
>
> From "The Modern Woman's Guide to Home Repair" and "The Complete
> Idiot's Guide to Trouble-Free Home Repair", we bring you the
> following.
>
> B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
> orbital, and belt?

sander
> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

light switch

> B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
> types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
> their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

nails, and yes
> * C. Triples
>
> Name the third member of each set.
>
> C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...

Meshach

> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Shiva

> C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

Aramis
> * D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life
>
> Dean Martin once said of Frank Sinatra: "When he dies, they are
> giving his zipper to the Smithsonian Institute." These questions
> are about some of the people who formed part of Frank's frankly
> public pubic life.
>
> D2. Name the woman who complained that Frank always wanted to
> sing to her before sex, and who is best remembered for her
> role opposite Sean Connery as James Bond.

Jill St. John (?)

> D3. Frank's first wife was his high-school sweetheart.
> Given that she's usually remembered by the last name
> Sinatra, all we'll ask you for is her first name.

Nancy
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<sd07nb$gko$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3143&group=rec.games.trivia#3143

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 03:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 03:38 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature

> * Unofficial Anthems

> 2. "America the Beautiful":

> O beautiful for spacious skies
> For amber waves of grain;

for purple mountains' majesty
over every fruited plain

(At least one of those words is wrong.)

> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":

> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy lamb of God
In England's pleasant pastures seen?

> * """Modern""" Pundits

> 5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
> "Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
> the Material World" (co-author).

Paglia

> 6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
> Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
> American Culture".

Paglia

> * Early Giants of the European Novel

> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.

The Sorrows of Young Werther

> * Classics of Philosophy

> 10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
> 1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
> Investigations"?

Wittgenstein

> 11. What is Immanuel Kant's masterwork, in which he attempts to
> describe the categories of thought that we use to understand
> the world, and divides the world into things-in-themselves and
> things-as-we-perceive-them? Please give the title in English.

A Critique of Pure Reason

> * Science Fiction And

> 13. SF and mainstream literature. Though she's best known for her
> SF and fantasy, she """is""" a prolific author of mainstream
> literary fiction. Her stories have appeared in the "New Yorker",
> "Harper's", and other literary magazines; they are collected
> in such books as "Searoad" (1991) and "Unlocking the Air and
> Other Stories" (1996).

Ursula K. Le Guin

> 15. SF and mainstream literature. This prolific Scottish writer
> """publishes""" SF and literary fiction alternately. Some of
> his mainstream titles are "The Wasp Factory", "Complicity",
> and in 1997, "Song of Stone". His SF stories often deal with
> a galactic civilization called the Culture.

Iain Banks

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * B. Home Improvement

> B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
> orbital, and belt?

sander

> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

electric switch

> B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
> types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
> their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

nails

> * C. Triples

> Name the third member of each set.

> C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...

Mishach

> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Shiva

> C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

Aramis

> * D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life

> D2. Name the woman who complained that Frank always wanted to
> sing to her before sex, and who is best remembered for her
> role opposite Sean Connery as James Bond.

Ursula Andress

> D3. Frank's first wife was his high-school sweetheart.
> Given that she's usually remembered by the last name
> Sinatra, all we'll ask you for is her first name.

Nancy

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10: literature, challenge round

<sd2ksf$m29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3144&group=rec.games.trivia#3144

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:35:09 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 01:35 UTC

On 7/16/21 9:46 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature
>
> * Unofficial Anthems
>
> We will read two lines of a patriotic or idealistic national song.
> You continue the lyric for another two lines or until you get to the
> word that rhymes (or sort-of-rhymes) with the one where we left off.
>
> 1. "The Maple Leaf Forever":
>
> In days of yore, from Britain's shore
> Wolfe the dauntless hero came
>
> 2. "America the Beautiful":
>
> O beautiful for spacious skies
> For amber waves of grain;

for purple mountain's majesty
across the fruited plain

> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":
>
> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?
>

> * """Modern""" Pundits
>
> We give the names of three books; you name the author. All were
> published in the 1990s.
>
> 4. "The End of Racism: Principles for a Multiracial Society";
> "Illiberal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus";
> "Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary
> Leader".
>
> 5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
> "Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
> the Material World" (co-author).
>
> 6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
> Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
> American Culture".
>

> * Early Giants of the European Novel
>
> 7. Alessandro Manzoni was the father of the modern Italian novel,
> and a story he published in 1827 has been called the greatest
> Italian novel of modern times. It tells of two peasants who
> try to marry in spite of the opposition of the local landowner.
> Name the novel, in either Italian or English.
>
> 8. Aleksandr Pushkin, the founder of modern Russian literature,
> published a verse novel in 1833 about a bored aristocrat who
> moves to the countryside, rejects the love of a woman named
> Tatyana, and years later suffers when Tatyana, now married
> to a great nobleman, in turn rejects him. Name it, in either
> Russian (in our alphabet, please; no Cyrillic) or English.
>
> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.
>

> * Classics of Philosophy
>
> 10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
> 1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
> Investigations"?

Russell

> 11. What is Immanuel Kant's masterwork, in which he attempts to
> describe the categories of thought that we use to understand
> the world, and divides the world into things-in-themselves and
> things-as-we-perceive-them? Please give the title in English.
>
> 12. What is the title (in English) of Plato's investigation into
> the nature of love, in which he discusses the charming notion
> that men and women were once the joined halves of single
> bisexual beings?
>

> * Science Fiction And
>
> The following authors write, or wrote, both science fiction and other
> genres of fiction. Here we will concentrate on those other genres.
> In each case name the author.
>
> 13. SF and mainstream literature. Though she's best known for her
> SF and fantasy, she """is""" a prolific author of mainstream
> literary fiction. Her stories have appeared in the "New Yorker",
> "Harper's", and other literary magazines; they are collected
> in such books as "Searoad" (1991) and "Unlocking the Air and
> Other Stories" (1996).

Atwood ?

> 14. SF and period fiction. This writer, best known for his SF
> and science writing, wrote a novel called "Glide Path" in 1963,
> based on his experiences when involved with the development of
> radar-guided descent of aircraft in World War II.

Arthur C Clarke

> 15. SF and mainstream literature. This prolific Scottish writer
> """publishes""" SF and literary fiction alternately. Some of
> his mainstream titles are "The Wasp Factory", "Complicity",
> and in 1997, "Song of Stone". His SF stories often deal with
> a galactic civilization called the Culture.

Iain M Banks

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Australians
>
> In what field of endeavor did the following Australians achieve fame?
>
> A1. Billy Hughes.
> A2. Albert Namatjira.
> A3. Stevie Wright.
>

> * B. Home Improvement
>
> From "The Modern Woman's Guide to Home Repair" and "The Complete
> Idiot's Guide to Trouble-Free Home Repair", we bring you the
> following.
>
> B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
> orbital, and belt?

router

> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

light switches

> B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
> types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
> their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

nails

> * C. Triples
>
> Name the third member of each set.
>
> C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...
> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Shiva

> C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

Aramis

> * D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life
>
> Dean Martin once said of Frank Sinatra: "When he dies, they are
> giving his zipper to the Smithsonian Institute." These questions
> are about some of the people who formed part of Frank's frankly
> public pubic life.
>
> D1. Frank started dating this woman in 1958, one year after her
> husband had died from cancer. Days after asking her to
> marry him, he dumped her by demanding she leave a New Year's
> party she was hosting at her own home. Name her.
>
> D2. Name the woman who complained that Frank always wanted to
> sing to her before sex, and who is best remembered for her
> role opposite Sean Connery as James Bond.
>
> D3. Frank's first wife was his high-school sweetheart.
> Given that she's usually remembered by the last name
> Sinatra, all we'll ask you for is her first name.
>

> * E. Trivia
>
> How trivial can you get? It's current events of 1998 in trivia!
> This triple asked about three of the league's secondary prizes, whose
> winners had been announced at the start of the Final. Teams playing
> in the Final are not eligible. *Note*: Since play was interrupted
> during the first season of 2020, if giving the present-day answer
> you should answer for the last season of 2019.
>
> E1. Which team won the Stinker prize """this season"""?
> E2. Which team won the Canadiana prize """this season"""?
> E3. Which team won the Protest prize """this season"""?

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10 answers: literature, challenge round

<TrSdnaTm_sAo8Gv9nZ2dnUU7-LHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3145&group=rec.games.trivia#3145

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Final, Rounds 8,10 answers: literature, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 01:31:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 06:31 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-04-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

The Final game of this season is over and STEPHEN PERRY has sat
back and coasted to a big win. Hearty congratulations!

> I think I wrote one question in the literature round, and one
> triple in the challenge round.

In literature, I think question #14 was the only one from me.
In the challenge round it was triple E -- and, incidentally,
the original game was decided on the last one those questions,
when Forza Azzurri picked up 2 points to finish with 53, while
MI5 had 52 and On a Roll had 32.

> ** Final, Round 8 - Literature

> * Unofficial Anthems

> We will read two lines of a patriotic or idealistic national song.
> You continue the lyric for another two lines or until you get to the
> word that rhymes (or sort-of-rhymes) with the one where we left off.

I allowed one small mistake for free; two or three small ones or one
large one got you "almost correct"; more than that was wrong.

> 1. "The Maple Leaf Forever":

> In days of yore, from Britain's shore
> Wolfe the dauntless hero came

And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.

> 2. "America the Beautiful":

> O beautiful for spacious skies
> For amber waves of grain;

For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!

4 for Pete and Joshua. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. Blake's "Milton", often called "Jerusalem":

> And did those feet in ancient times
> Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy Lamb of God
In England's pleasant pastures seen?

4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> * """Modern""" Pundits

> We give the names of three books; you name the author. All were
> published in the 1990s.

All of these authors are still alive.

> 4. "The End of Racism: Principles for a Multiracial Society";
> "Illiberal Education: The Politics of Race and Sex on Campus";
> "Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary
> Leader".

Dinesh D'Souza. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "Fire with Fire: The New Female Power and How to Use It";
> "Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood"; "Women in
> the Material World" (co-author).

Naomi Wolf. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily
> Dickinson"; "Vamps and Tramps: New Essays"; "Sex, Art, and
> American Culture".

Camille Paglia. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Early Giants of the European Novel

> 7. Alessandro Manzoni was the father of the modern Italian novel,
> and a story he published in 1827 has been called the greatest
> Italian novel of modern times. It tells of two peasants who
> try to marry in spite of the opposition of the local landowner.
> Name the novel, in either Italian or English.

"I Promessi Sposi" ("The Betrothed").

> 8. Aleksandr Pushkin, the founder of modern Russian literature,
> published a verse novel in 1833 about a bored aristocrat who
> moves to the countryside, rejects the love of a woman named
> Tatyana, and years later suffers when Tatyana, now married
> to a great nobleman, in turn rejects him. Name it, in either
> Russian (in our alphabet, please; no Cyrillic) or English.

"Yevgeny Onegin" ("Eugene Onegin"). 4 for Joshua.

> 9. John Wolfgang von Goethe published a hugely popular novel in 1774
> that told of a dreamy, artistic young man who commits suicide out
> of unrequited love and a belief in the meaninglessness of life.
> Supposedly the novel inspired hundreds of young men to follow
> his example and kill themselves. Name it, in either German
> or English.

"Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" ("The Sorrows of Young Werther").
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 3 for Erland.

> * Classics of Philosophy

> 10. What philosopher wrote his "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" in
> 1919, then repudiated much of it in his later book "Philosophical
> Investigations"?

Ludwig Wittgenstein. 4 for Dan Blum.

Reading that he repudiated his own book reminds me of Leonard Nimoy's
two memoirs, "I Am Not Spock" (1975) and "I Am Spock" (1995).

> 11. What is Immanuel Kant's masterwork, in which he attempts to
> describe the categories of thought that we use to understand
> the world, and divides the world into things-in-themselves and
> things-as-we-perceive-them? Please give the title in English.

"Critique of Pure Reason". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 12. What is the title (in English) of Plato's investigation into
> the nature of love, in which he discusses the charming notion
> that men and women were once the joined halves of single
> bisexual beings?

"The Symposium".

> * Science Fiction And

> The following authors write, or wrote, both science fiction and other
> genres of fiction. Here we will concentrate on those other genres.
> In each case name the author.

> 13. SF and mainstream literature. Though she's best known for her
> SF and fantasy, she """is""" a prolific author of mainstream
> literary fiction. Her stories have appeared in the "New Yorker",
> "Harper's", and other literary magazines; they are collected
> in such books as "Searoad" (1991) and "Unlocking the Air and
> Other Stories" (1996).

Ursula K. LeGuin. (She died in 2018.) 4 for Pete and Dan Blum.

> 14. SF and period fiction. This writer, best known for his SF
> and science writing, wrote a novel called "Glide Path" in 1963,
> based on his experiences when involved with the development of
> radar-guided descent of aircraft in World War II.

1998 answer: Arthur C. Clarke. 2021 answer: Sir Arthur C. Clarke.
(He died in 2008.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 15. SF and mainstream literature. This prolific Scottish writer
> """publishes""" SF and literary fiction alternately. Some of
> his mainstream titles are "The Wasp Factory", "Complicity",
> and in 1997, "Song of Stone". His SF stories often deal with
> a galactic civilization called the Culture.

Iain M. Banks. (He died in 2013.) 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Famous Australians

> In what field of endeavor did the following Australians achieve fame?

> A1. Billy Hughes.

Politics. (Australia's first prime minister.)

> A2. Albert Namatjira.

Fine art (painting).

> A3. Stevie Wright.

Music. (Lead singer of the Easybeats.)

> * B. Home Improvement

> From "The Modern Woman's Guide to Home Repair" and "The Complete
> Idiot's Guide to Trouble-Free Home Repair", we bring you the
> following.

> B1. Which tool comes in three basic types: orbital, random
> orbital, and belt?

(Electric) sander. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> B2. Single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way are types of what?

(Electrical) switches. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

You may remember from an earlier RQFTCI series that 3-way switches
are also called 2-way switches. They are also a type of single-pole
switch.

> B3. And pole barn, sinker, box, siding, and ring shank are
> types of what? Would it help if we told you that in the US
> their sizes are commonly designated in "pennies"?

Nails. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Triples

> Name the third member of each set.

> C1. Shadrach, Abednego, and...

Meshach. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

They were cast into the fiery furnace in the Bible's book of Daniel.

> C2. Brahma, Vishnu, and...

Shiva. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

They're the Hindu trinity [Trimurthi]: Creator, Preserver, and
Destroyer.

> C3. Porthos, Athos, and...

Aramis. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

They were the title characters of "The Three Musketeers".

> * D. Frank Sinatra's Sex Life

> Dean Martin once said of Frank Sinatra: "When he dies, they are
> giving his zipper to the Smithsonian Institute." These questions
> are about some of the people who formed part of Frank's frankly
> public pubic life.

> D1. Frank started dating this woman in 1958, one year after her
> husband had died from cancer. Days after asking her to
> marry him, he dumped her by demanding she leave a New Year's
> party she was hosting at her own home. Name her.

Click here to read the complete article