Eloquence is logic on fire.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsPete Gayde
`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessorsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<-u2dnbHvGuzozWf9nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3153&group=rec.games.trivia#3153

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 00:15:33 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 05:15 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Neighborhoods

Using both longstanding area names and some newer terms, the
Toronto Star published a map of Toronto neighborhood names in 2009.
We'll give the boundaries of the area and you name the neighborhood.

1. From just north of Finch down to the 401. Western boundary is
Bathurst -- eastern boundary is Bayview.

2. The southern boundary is Lake Ontario -- the northern is
the Gardiner. The northwest corner is where Islington meets
the Gardiner. The southeast is Humber Bay Park.

3. A triangular-shaped 'hood with Eglinton to the north,
Vaughan Rd. to the west, and Bathurst on the east. Named
for a ravine park within the boundaries.

4. Dundas on the north and Bloor on the south. Just past Royal
York to the west, and the Humber River is the eastern border.

5. Bloor on the south to Annette on the north. Jane to the west
and Clendenan Av. on the east.

6. Bloor to the south. Dupont to the north. Western boundary is
Bathurst; the eastern is Avenue Rd.

7. The Kingston Rd. - Morningside - Lawrence triangle is in the
northwest part of this 'hood. West side is the Guildwood,
with Pt. Union Road on the east.

8. A much maligned Scarborough 'hood. The boundary is Finch
on the north to the 401 on the south. Markham Rd. to the west,
Morningside on the east.

9. A """new""" trendy real-estate spot for those who can't
afford the Beach. Danforth on the north. The lake on the south.
Victoria Park is the western boundary, Kennedy Rd. the eastern.

10. """Another fave of real-estate agents""", this 'hood has
Lakeshore Blvd. to the south and Gerrard to the north.
The eastern boundary is Coxwell, with Logan on the west.

* Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors

All questions specify """incumbents""" and the offices they hold.
You supply the names of the office holders they took over from.
Example: David Cameron, UK Prime Minister -- answer, Gordon Brown.

So in each case, name the *immediate predecessor*.

(*Note* you may also answer for 2021 my naming the previous
officeholder before the *current* one in each respective position
-- provided that there is a current one. Example: Theresa May,
who preceded Boris Johnson.)

1. Jackie Maxwell, Shaw Festival artistic director.

2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

4. Jeff Douglas, official co-host of CBC Radio's "As it Happens".
(Note that there were a few pinch hitters in between, who don't
count as official.)

5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.

6. Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff of the Canadian
armed forces.

7. Mark Carney, Bank of Canada governor.

8. Bill Blair, Toronto police chief.

9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.

10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
Organization.

--
Mark Brader /"\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
msb@vex.net \ / AGAINST HTML MAIL

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<XnsAD70E27F176Dgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3154&group=rec.games.trivia#3154

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 06:23:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 06:23 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:-u2dnbHvGuzozWf9nZ2dnUU7-
a_NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Neighborhoods

I'll defer to others on this round.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors
>
> All questions specify """incumbents""" and the offices they hold.
> You supply the names of the office holders they took over from.
> Example: David Cameron, UK Prime Minister -- answer, Gordon Brown.
>
> So in each case, name the *immediate predecessor*.
>
> (*Note* you may also answer for 2021 my naming the previous
> officeholder before the *current* one in each respective position
> -- provided that there is a current one. Example: Theresa May,
> who preceded Boris Johnson.)

I'll take that option.

> 1. Jackie Maxwell, Shaw Festival artistic director.

Maxwell

> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

Mike Pompeo

> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

Sarkozy
(this one is an attempt at an informed answer, not just a blind guess)
> 4. Jeff Douglas, official co-host of CBC Radio's "As it Happens".
> (Note that there were a few pinch hitters in between, who don't
> count as official.)

Douglas

> 5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.

Farrell
> 6. Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff of the Canadian
> armed forces.

Natynczyk

> 7. Mark Carney, Bank of Canada governor.

Carney
> 8. Bill Blair, Toronto police chief.

Blair

> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.

Johnston
> 10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
> Organization.

Yasir Arafat

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<sdeb5o$fgk$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3155&group=rec.games.trivia#3155

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:03:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:03 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors

> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

Mike Pompeo (2021)

> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

Sarkozy (2021)

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<XnsAD7112D2D544Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3156&group=rec.games.trivia#3156

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 00:06:56 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 22:06 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Neighborhoods

Click "Next".

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors
>
> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

Rice
> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

Jacques Chirac
> 5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.

Rob Ford
> 10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
> Organization.

Yassir Arafat

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<sdgma4$h1l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3157&group=rec.games.trivia#3157

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 02:25:22 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:25 UTC

On 7/22/21 10:15 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Neighborhoods
>
> Using both longstanding area names and some newer terms, the
> Toronto Star published a map of Toronto neighborhood names in 2009.
> We'll give the boundaries of the area and you name the neighborhood.
>
> 1. From just north of Finch down to the 401. Western boundary is
> Bathurst -- eastern boundary is Bayview.
>
> 2. The southern boundary is Lake Ontario -- the northern is
> the Gardiner. The northwest corner is where Islington meets
> the Gardiner. The southeast is Humber Bay Park.
>
> 3. A triangular-shaped 'hood with Eglinton to the north,
> Vaughan Rd. to the west, and Bathurst on the east. Named
> for a ravine park within the boundaries.
>
> 4. Dundas on the north and Bloor on the south. Just past Royal
> York to the west, and the Humber River is the eastern border.
>
> 5. Bloor on the south to Annette on the north. Jane to the west
> and Clendenan Av. on the east.
>
> 6. Bloor to the south. Dupont to the north. Western boundary is
> Bathurst; the eastern is Avenue Rd.
>
> 7. The Kingston Rd. - Morningside - Lawrence triangle is in the
> northwest part of this 'hood. West side is the Guildwood,
> with Pt. Union Road on the east.
>
> 8. A much maligned Scarborough 'hood. The boundary is Finch
> on the north to the 401 on the south. Markham Rd. to the west,
> Morningside on the east.
>
> 9. A """new""" trendy real-estate spot for those who can't
> afford the Beach. Danforth on the north. The lake on the south.
> Victoria Park is the western boundary, Kennedy Rd. the eastern.
>
> 10. """Another fave of real-estate agents""", this 'hood has
> Lakeshore Blvd. to the south and Gerrard to the north.
> The eastern boundary is Coxwell, with Logan on the west.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors
>
> All questions specify """incumbents""" and the offices they hold.
> You supply the names of the office holders they took over from.
> Example: David Cameron, UK Prime Minister -- answer, Gordon Brown.
>
> So in each case, name the *immediate predecessor*.
>
> (*Note* you may also answer for 2021 my naming the previous
> officeholder before the *current* one in each respective position
> -- provided that there is a current one. Example: Theresa May,
> who preceded Boris Johnson.)
>
> 1. Jackie Maxwell, Shaw Festival artistic director.
>
> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

Pompeo

> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.
>
> 4. Jeff Douglas, official co-host of CBC Radio's "As it Happens".
> (Note that there were a few pinch hitters in between, who don't
> count as official.)
>
> 5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.
>
> 6. Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff of the Canadian
> armed forces.
>
> 7. Mark Carney, Bank of Canada governor.
>
> 8. Bill Blair, Toronto police chief.
>
> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.
>
> 10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
> Organization.

Arafat

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<sdhp9v$144d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3159&group=rec.games.trivia#3159

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:22:39 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:22 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors
>
> All questions specify """incumbents""" and the offices they hold.
> You supply the names of the office holders they took over from.
> Example: David Cameron, UK Prime Minister -- answer, Gordon Brown.
>
> So in each case, name the *immediate predecessor*.
>
> (*Note* you may also answer for 2021 my naming the previous
> officeholder before the *current* one in each respective position
> -- provided that there is a current one. Example: Theresa May,
> who preceded Boris Johnson.)
>
> 1. Jackie Maxwell, Shaw Festival artistic director.
>
> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

Rice

> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

Sarkozy

> 4. Jeff Douglas, official co-host of CBC Radio's "As it Happens".
> (Note that there were a few pinch hitters in between, who don't
> count as official.)
>
> 5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.
>
> 6. Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff of the Canadian
> armed forces.
>
> 7. Mark Carney, Bank of Canada governor.
>
> 8. Bill Blair, Toronto police chief.
>
> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.
>
> 10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
> Organization.

Arafat

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<nPOdnb2m__Eo_GP9nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3161&group=rec.games.trivia#3161

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:18:13 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Neighborhoods

Nobody scored on this round (where's Stephen Perry when we need him?),
so it never happened.

> Using both longstanding area names and some newer terms, the
> Toronto Star published a map of Toronto neighborhood names in 2009.
> We'll give the boundaries of the area and you name the neighborhood.

> 1. From just north of Finch down to the 401. Western boundary is
> Bathurst -- eastern boundary is Bayview.

Willowdale.

> 2. The southern boundary is Lake Ontario -- the northern is
> the Gardiner. The northwest corner is where Islington meets
> the Gardiner. The southeast is Humber Bay Park.

Mimico.

> 3. A triangular-shaped 'hood with Eglinton to the north,
> Vaughan Rd. to the west, and Bathurst on the east. Named
> for a ravine park within the boundaries.

Cedarvale.

> 4. Dundas on the north and Bloor on the south. Just past Royal
> York to the west, and the Humber River is the eastern border.

The Kingsway.

> 5. Bloor on the south to Annette on the north. Jane to the west
> and Clendenan Av. on the east.

Bloor West Village.

> 6. Bloor to the south. Dupont to the north. Western boundary is
> Bathurst; the eastern is Avenue Rd.

The Annex.

> 7. The Kingston Rd. - Morningside - Lawrence triangle is in the
> northwest part of this 'hood. West side is the Guildwood,
> with Pt. Union Road on the east.

West Hill.

> 8. A much maligned Scarborough 'hood. The boundary is Finch
> on the north to the 401 on the south. Markham Rd. to the west,
> Morningside on the east.

Malvern.

> 9. A """new""" trendy real-estate spot for those who can't
> afford the Beach. Danforth on the north. The lake on the south.
> Victoria Park is the western boundary, Kennedy Rd. the eastern.

Birchcliff.

> 10. """Another fave of real-estate agents""", this 'hood has
> Lakeshore Blvd. to the south and Gerrard to the north.
> The eastern boundary is Coxwell, with Logan on the west.

Leslieville.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - History - Predecessors

> All questions specify """incumbents""" and the offices they hold.
> You supply the names of the office holders they took over from.
> Example: David Cameron, UK Prime Minister -- answer, Gordon Brown.

> So in each case, name the *immediate predecessor*.

> (*Note* you may also answer for 2021 [by] naming the previous
> officeholder before the *current* one in each respective position
> -- provided that there is a current one. Example: Theresa May,
> who preceded Boris Johnson.)

> 1. Jackie Maxwell, Shaw Festival artistic director.

2011 answer: Christopher Newton. 2021 answer: Yes, Jackie Maxwell
(who preceded Tim Carroll). 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Hillary Rodham Clinton, US Secretary of State.

2011 answer: Condoleezza Rice. 2021 answer: Mike Pompeo (who
preceded Antony Blinken). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. Nicholas Sarkozy, French president.

2011 answer: Jacques Chirac. 2021 answer: François Hollande (who
preceded Emmanuel Macron). 4 for Erland.

> 4. Jeff Douglas, official co-host of CBC Radio's "As it Happens".
> (Note that there were a few pinch hitters in between, who don't
> count as official.)

2011 answer: Barbara Budd. 2021 answer: Yes, Jeff Douglas (who
preceded Chris Howden). 4 for Joshua.

> 5. John Farrell, Toronto Blue Jays manager.

2011 answer: Cito Gaston. 2021 answer: John Gibbons (who preceded
Charlie Montoyo).

> 6. Walter Natynczyk, chief of the defense staff of the Canadian
> armed forces.

2011 answer: Rick Hillier. 2021 answer: None, because there is no
current incumbent. Wayne Eyre is only acting chief.

> 7. Mark Carney, Bank of Canada governor.

2011 answer: David Dodge. 2021 answer: Stephen Poloz (who preceded
Tiff Macklem).

> 8. Bill Blair, Toronto police chief.

2011 answer: Julian Fantino. 2021 answer: None, because there is
no current incumbent. James Ramer is only interim chief.

> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.

2011 answer: Michaëlle Jean. 2021 answer: Julie Payette (who preceded
Mary Simon). 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Mahmoud Abbas, chairman of the Palestine Liberation
> Organization.

Yasser Arafat. (Still true -- Abbas is still the incumbent.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Art His
Joshua Kreitzer 16 36 20 72
Dan Blum 0 35 4 39
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 28
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 12 12
Pete Gayde -- -- 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What do I do for fun? Knit. And pet cats.
msb@vex.net | I'm hopelessly stereotypical." --Margaret Miles

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<XnsAD73185D0A819gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3163&group=rec.games.trivia#3163

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:23:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:23 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nPOdnb2m__Eo_GP9nZ2dnUU7-
dXNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
>
>> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.
>
> 2011 answer: Micha�lle Jean. 2021 answer: Julie Payette (who preceded
> Mary Simon). 4 for Joshua.

Actually, I didn't get either of the correct answers on this one.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: TO'hoods, predecessors

<t4GdnViMtq2r-WP9nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3164&group=rec.games.trivia#3164

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:28:54 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:28 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 9. David Johnston, Canadian Governor-General.
>>
>> 2011 answer: Micha�lle Jean. 2021 answer: Julie Payette (who preceded
>> Mary Simon). 4 for Joshua.
Joshua Kreitzer:
> Actually, I didn't get either of the correct answers on this one.

Oops, nobody did.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Art His
Joshua Kreitzer 16 36 16 68
Dan Blum 0 35 4 39
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 28
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 12 12
Pete Gayde -- -- 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can be gullible about these kinds of things.
msb@vex.net | Or so people tell me, and I believe them."